Find
Notify
Tools

Which would you choose?
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Sniper
posted
If you were deciding between adding a blue wildebeest or a bushbuck to your next safari which would you choose and why?

"In the worship of security we fling ourselves beneath the wheels of routine, and before we know it our lives are gone"--Sterling Hayden--

David Tenney
US Operations Manager
Trophy Game Safaris
Southern Africa
Tino and Amanda Erasmus
www.tgsafari.co.za

Posts: 884 | Location: Tennessee, USA | Registered: 11 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Allout
posted Hide Post
Wildebeest. Poor man's buffalo.

Brian

"If you can't go all out, don't go..."

Posts: 745 | Location: NE Oklahoma | Registered: 05 October 2006Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Bushbuck, definitely. They are challenging to stalk, their meat is delicious, and they make a much more attractive mount.

George

Posts: 14623 | Location: San Antonio, TX | Registered: 22 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
I agree with Allout, I love hunting willies. I'd like to have a good example of every sub-species of wildebeast, and I still need a black , and a blue willie.

Of course, a good Bushbuck is something I don't have either, so............. Confused

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I haven't shot a Willie yet, but I have shot a Bushbuck.

I really liked hunting bushbuck so that would get my vote.

Mink and Wall Tents don't go together. Especially when you are sleeping in the Wall Tent.
DRSS .470 & .500

Posts: 1051 | Location: The Land of Lutefisk | Registered: 23 November 2002Reply With Quote
<Hunter Formerly Known As Texas Hunter>
posted
Bushbuck - lots of fun stalking the marshes - challenging. Little rascals are sometimes hard to find and can be testy when wounded. Also beautiful creatures. Hunting blue wildebeest, as I know it, is like hunting most other plains game. Every Afican hunter probably needs a blue wildebeest but if I had to choose between the two it would be bushbuck.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Sniper,

I've been fortunate enough to take some of both bushbuck and wildebeest. I think the bushbuck is definitely more challenging to hunt but if you wound a wildebeest you could be in for a long follow up.

It would seem you might be wondering which one to add to a package. If that is true you will be much more likely to take the wildebeest. Bushbuck are not stocked animals and they come and go through game fences at will so there might be bushbuck on the property but not while you are there.

If you are not hunting on a package ask the operator for both and see how it plays out once you are there. If it isn't a package you'll only pay for what you shoot anyway.

Mark

MARK H. YOUNG
MARK'S EXCLUSIVE ADVENTURES
7094 Oakleigh Dr. Las Vegas, NV 89110
Office 702-848-1693
Cell, Whats App, Signal 307-250-1156 PREFERRED
E-mail markttc@msn.com
Check us out on https://www.facebook.com/pages...ures/627027353990716

Posts: 13008 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jorge
posted Hide Post
Good post. Two entirely different animals and two entirely different hunting techniques. No doubt the bushbuck makes for a more beautiful trophy, but hunting them is closer to hunting whitetail deer. Wildebbest is more "african" to me and I prefer that. jorge

USN (ret)
DRSS Verney-Carron 450NE
Cogswell & Harrison 375 Fl NE
Sabatti Big Five 375 FL Magnum NE
DSC Life Member
NRA Life Member

Posts: 7149 | Location: Orange Park, Florida. USA | Registered: 22 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I've taken both....BUT...I ONLY took the bushbuck because my PH said it was an exceptional example (17"). I really like hunting for the Wildebeest....but now I need a black to go with my blue.
That ramble didn't answer your question very well....sorry...Africa's like that.
By the way, my bushbuck is the Limpopo variety; I'm going to Zambia in '08 for leopard and buff and want to take a Chobe variety.
I vote you just shoot them both.

Gary
DRSS
NRA Lifer
SCI

Posts: 1970 | Location: NE Georgia, USA | Registered: 21 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Given the choice I'd go for a bushbuck. Really though, I'd happily hunt either.

Mike

--------------
DRSS, Womper's Club, NRA Life Member/Charter Member NRA Golden Eagles ...
Knifemaker, http://www.mstarling.com

Posts: 6199 | Location: Charleston, WV | Registered: 31 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fallow Buck
posted Hide Post
Bushbuck, make a great hunt & the BW makes a great Rug!!!

I'm of the mind that you leave it to the gods and shoot the first of whichever species turns up at a good trophy size.

This is one of the reasons that I'm not keen on packages, cos so much changes when you get there and see the animals. I never wanted a Waterbuck until I saw a juvenile on the first afternoon... I spent the rest of the week looking for his big brother but it never happened.

Rgds,
FB

Posts: 4096 | Location: London | Registered: 03 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of zimbabwe
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by zimbabwe:
I am not a trophy hunter so the mount is of no significence to me. I have shot several Bushbuck and Wildebeest and feel the Wildebeest to be the better hunt. I like the herd concept and the selection and stalk required to take an animal from the herd. The Bushbuck while a most beautiful animal is too much like stalking whitetail deer to me. As to the meat quality I would take wildebeest any time over Bushbuck. I have only hunted in Zimbabwe so have only had the opportunity to take a single species of each. Given the opportunity I would like to take the other species of Wildebeest but have no real desire to again hunt Bushbuck.

SCI Life Member
NRA Patron Life Member
DRSS

Posts: 2786 | Location: Green Valley,Az | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Michael Robinson
posted Hide Post
That's a tough choice. Both can be a challenge to hunt and are equally desirable, IMO.

Mike

Wilderness is my cathedral, and hunting is my prayer.

Posts: 13633 | Location: New England | Registered: 06 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of L. David Keith
posted Hide Post
Having hunted both, I would rank the Bushbuck as a much higher challenge. Meat is at the top, but of course most PG is excellent table fare. You won't be taking any meat home, so other than possibly sampling some while in Africa, meat isn't a high consideration. Wildebeast as mentioned are an animal of the open plains. Doesn't mean you won't find them in heavy bush, especially the Blue. They can be difficult to stalk and heed our fellow members advice: they aren't called "poor mans Buffalo" for nothing. They can absorb a great amount of lead, and a wounded Wildebeast will give you fits in finding him. They are so ugly (to many) they are beautiful to me. Getting a trophy Wildebeast is the game. However, I'm still a bigger fan of the Bushbuck. Sly and elusive, a mature Bushbuck of any species is a grand event. I get many more comments on my 3 Bushbuck than the super Black Wildebeast I've taken. I return to Africa in a few weeks and although I'll hunt Blue Wildebeast, I will seek Bushbuck once again. Best of luck on your trip. LDK

Gray Ghost Hunting Safaris
http://grayghostsafaris.com Phone: 615-860-4333
Email: hunts@grayghostsafaris.com
NRA Benefactor
DSC Professional Member
SCI Member
RMEF Life Member
NWTF Guardian Life Sponsor
NAHC Life Member
Rowland Ward - SCI Scorer
Took the wife the Eastern Cape for her first hunt:
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6881000262
Hunting in the Stormberg, Winterberg and Hankey Mountains of the Eastern Cape 2018
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/4801073142
Hunting the Eastern Cape, RSA May 22nd - June 15th 2007
http://forums.accuratereloadin...=810104007#810104007
16 Days in Zimbabwe: Leopard, plains game, fowl and more:
http://forums.accuratereloadin...=212108409#212108409
Natal: Rhino, Croc, Nyala, Bushbuck and more
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6341092311
Recent hunt in the Eastern Cape, August 2010: Pics added
http://forums.accuratereloadin...261039941#9261039941
10 days in the Stormberg Mountains
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/7781081322
Back in the Stormberg Mountains with friends: May-June 2017
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6001078232

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading" - Thomas Jefferson

Every morning the Zebra wakes up knowing it must outrun the fastest Lion if it wants to stay alive. Every morning the Lion wakes up knowing it must outrun the slowest Zebra or it will starve. It makes no difference if you are a Zebra or a Lion; when the Sun comes up in Africa, you must wake up running......

"If you're being chased by a Lion, you don't have to be faster than the Lion, you just have to be faster than the person next to you."

Posts: 6814 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: 18 December 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Safari-Hunt
posted Hide Post
Sniper, take both, both of the aniamls should not be off the chart when it comes to their prices. So it's not such an expensive decision like deciding between bushbuck and nyala for instances $600 for bushbuck compared to sometimes $2000 for Nyala.

Save up and do both ! clap

Frederik Cocquyt
I always try to use enough gun but then sometimes a brainshot works just as good.

Posts: 2548 | Location: Pretoria, Gauteng, South Africa | Registered: 06 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fallow Buck
posted Hide Post
Sniper,

Have you looked at any of the smaller antelope for your third?

Myself I#m interested in trying to get a good steenbuck next time round. I spent ages trying to get one but we kept bumping them out of tree roots before we saw them!!

Just a thought for an inexpensive addition that would be fun to hunt.

FB

Posts: 4096 | Location: London | Registered: 03 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of D99
posted Hide Post
I take it your hunting South Africa. If the choice was between a bushbuck and a White Bearded or Nyassa Wildebeast and a any bushbuck I would probably take the wildebeast. Mostly because those safaris are already expensive enough. And you should collect the regional ones as you can.

Bushbucks bore me, but I am sure sorting through the herds of gnu will bore some folks. If I had the oppurtunity to choose between a small gnu and a good bushbuck. I wouldn't shoot a gnu.

Posts: 4729 | Location: Australia | Registered: 06 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Sniper
posted Hide Post
Yes I am hunting the Limpopo region of South Africa.

"In the worship of security we fling ourselves beneath the wheels of routine, and before we know it our lives are gone"--Sterling Hayden--

David Tenney
US Operations Manager
Trophy Game Safaris
Southern Africa
Tino and Amanda Erasmus
www.tgsafari.co.za

Posts: 884 | Location: Tennessee, USA | Registered: 11 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Bushbuck gets my vote. I've hunted and taken two and I've hunted and taken a wildebeast. I prefer the bushbuck.

JPK

Free 500grains

Posts: 4900 | Location: Chevy Chase, Md. | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
If you're hunting the Limpopo go with the bushbuck. I have blacks and blues and bushbuck and I believe that the bushbuck will offer more of a challenge to you. A full body mounted Limpopo bushbuck will be a very beautiful trophy, only surpassed by that of a good nyala.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Assuming you plan to hunt other areas on subsequent hunts the bushbuck would seem to be the better choice. Boddington says the Limpopo bushbuck is the largest of the clan (horns) and the one I took on the banks of the limpopo was one of my favorite hunts and trophies. (17" and good mass) We were hunting northwest of Alldays near Zanzibar border post across the river from Botswana. The nyasa wildebeest and the white bearded are both subspecies of the blue and more attractive to some. The blue is much more common in your hunting area . Adrian

Posts: 414 | Location: Tennille, Ga | Registered: 29 December 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Bushbuck is my vote.

Bushbuck is a more challenging hunt. You get out and hunt them on their home turf on foot. Where I was in Zimbabwe it was a river bottom. I didn't get a one however as we only saw a few females but no males.

Wildebeest are more of a spot and stalk stituation. We saw tons of them from the landcruiser.

However, I will have a special spot in my heart for my blue wildebeest however as it was the first animal I harvested in Africa.

Posts: 932 | Location: Delaware, USA | Registered: 13 September 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of mustbhuntn
posted Hide Post
Between my wife and kids, we have five wildebeest, 3 blue and 2 black. My daughter also took a limpopo bushbuck. All of the animals were challanging and make beautiful mounts. I see no proper way to decide so beg, borrow, or save up and take them both. You won't be sorry.

Posts: 322 | Location: Green Forest, Arkansas | Registered: 24 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
bushbuck.

Blue wildebeest are numerous.

Posts: 2627 | Location: Where the pine trees touch the sky | Registered: 06 December 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I've shot both, and between the two, I think I'd pick the wildebeest; like some others have said - a poor man's buffalo.

.470 & 9.3X74R Chapuis'
Tikka O/U 9.3X74R
Searcy Classics 450/.400 3" & .577
C&H .375 2 1/2"
Krieghoff .500 NE
Member Dallas Safari Club

Posts: 1586 | Location: Eleanor, West Virginia (USA) | Registered: 20 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have two wildebeest, one in Limpopo and one in the Selous. So far, the score is bushbuck 1, me, zero. They are elusive up around Ellisras. I'd love to get one. Given the chance, I'd hunt both. The wildebeest is Africa. Love 'em, and they're very tasty, too.

Posts: 11729 | Location: Florida | Registered: 25 October 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Bushbuck...the little bastards deserve to die! Mad They have given me the slip every time, so far. Confused Besides, they are a beautiful addition to the wall or floor.

Posts: 1765 | Location: Northern Nevada | Registered: 27 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of gas57
posted Hide Post
Bushbuck-the challange, better looking, more fun, or save up and do both as the airfair is more!!!

When catapults are outlawed, only outlaws will have catapults!

Posts: 903 | Location: Texas | Registered: 14 July 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Wildebeest are dime-a-dozen, you find them everywhere for not a lot of money, and they are relatively easy to hunt. Stupid animals actually, they just die hard. A good bushbuck, on the other hand, is a hard-won trophy and not easy to hunt. Very smart, stick to the thick brush, and more dangerous than a wildebeest when wounded.

Russ Gould - Whitworth Arms LLC
BigfiveHQ.com, Large Calibers and African Safaris
Doublegunhq.com, Fine English, American and German Double Rifles and Shotguns
VH2Q.com, Varmint Rifles and Gear

Posts: 2932 | Location: Texas | Registered: 07 June 2003Reply With Quote