Find
Notify
Tools

Elephant hide scabbord
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
fishing
Here are a few pictures of a once used scabbord that I'm going to be selling. There are no maker's marks nor anything that can used to identify it. I have no idea if this was made in America or Africa but the man who owned it lived in Zimbabwe and worked as a PH I'm told by a fellow named Peter Lynam in Chinoyi.

Here's a close up of the skin

With a rifle inside the scabbord

And with the rifle outside

I've always assumed the hide was from an elephant but since I'm selling it I want to be sure. Anyone have experience with this?

one of us
posted Hide Post
It appears to be elephant, but I would want a close up picture of the scabbard to tell you for sure and even then it could be a cowhide copy...but if it came out of Zim then it probably is elephant.

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41868 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of retreever
posted Hide Post
I was going to say hippo hide...A couple more pics of a bigger area would be able to make a positive answer...

Mike

Michael Podwika... DRSS bigbores and hunting www.pvt.co.za " MAKE THE SHOT " 450#2 Famars

Posts: 6767 | Location: Wyoming, Pa. USA | Registered: 17 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The grain looks different than the elephant hide I have here and have seen elsewhere. I was going to guess hippo also. The country of origin wouldn't have anything to do with the type of leather.

Posts: 4168 | Location: Texas | Registered: 18 June 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The entire skin thickness is damn close to 5/16" although the thickness of the edge (3 each) is 3/4". That being said, I'll take more pictures tomorrow. Appreciate your time.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Looks like a nice rifle laying there.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Quite a story behind that one. Like I said, I'll take some more skin pictures and include a shot of this rifle. It's my favorite as it's my first custom that I owned. When the stock was bare wood I took a wonderful muley with it, best of all time really.

Rifle is a 270 built on an 09 Arg. action and a drop dead gorgeous stock, IMO, anyway.

Thanks for the kind words.

one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
Could be, but I don't think that is ele hide! It looks like Cowhide to me. IMO, the hide was tanned softer, than saddle skirting, but was left thick like skirting! I have lots of ele, and cape Buffalo leather, and none of it looks like that! It also doesn't look like hippo! Confused

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Roll Eyes
Not to drag this out too long. I'd bet that it came from Africa as who in America would be set up commercially to sew leather this thick w/o putting their name on it? Maybe too minor a point but......Also I've shot buffs in Africa and skinned them out personally (with the help of locals) and have to say I was taken back by how thick the hide is. Never skinned out steer so bewildered

I wouldn't carry a rifle of mine in this scabbord as I'd be affraid of wear and tear on a family treasure so I'm selling it and putting together $$ to finish a couple of customs. Wish I knew ahead of time if these pictures I'm listing will add any info but I don't know of a 'preview window' prior to a post. Here goes and I'll throw in a few of the rifle pictured with the scabbord earlier.

And this is my favorite deer rifle on an '09 Argentine

I've been told by several guys who've shot elephants that that's what they thought the skin was but I don't want to go listing it for sale with the wrong info. Hate mistakes nilly

one of us
posted Hide Post
Again, nice rifle.

I still don't think it's elephant but I've only shot one and handled various leathers. It looks like either hippo or cowhide to me.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
i've got a hunk of hippo and it doesn't look anything like it. that is one beautiful checkering job, love the pattern

Posts: 13446 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Well butchloc and you guys,
Thanks for your input. Guess I'll call the scabbord African iron hide and let it go at that. coffee

The checkering style I drew out for the local crafter and the borders and diamonds are also on the forearm. Getting started on my last custom. This is going to be an '06 Springfield with the same checkering pattern.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Looks like caramel and molasses to me...smooth.

One of Us
Picture of Michael Robinson
posted Hide Post
I would bet it is elephant, probably from the ear. The hide from parts of the ear can look exactly like that. Some of mine does. Plus, it is gray. No other African game hide is typically tanned gray.

Mike

Wilderness is my cathedral, and hunting is my prayer.

Posts: 13397 | Location: New England | Registered: 06 June 2003Reply With Quote