New
Find
Notify
Tools

New Gun Export Rules Lifted
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Please see the attached press release regarding firearms and international hunts.

Apr 23 2015
Hoeven: U.S. Hunters No Longer Required to Register With IRS to Take Personal Firearms on International Hunts

Senator Secures CBP's Commitment to Return to Previous Travel Forms

WASHINGTON – U.S. Senator John Hoeven, chairman of the Department of Homeland Security Appropriations Committee, today announced that the U.S. Customs and Border Protection (CBP) will no longer require U.S hunters traveling internationally to obtain an IRS identification number in order to bring personal weapons on hunting trips outside the U.S. At a meeting early Wednesday with U.S. CBP Commissioner R. Gil Kerlikowske, Hoeven secured a commitment from the agency to return to the paper process used by international hunters for years, while updates are made to the automated reporting system for exporting weapons. Kurlekowske said the agency’s web site would be updated later today.
“Hunters should not have to register as a business with the IRS in order to bring their weapons and ammunition on international hunting trips,” said Hoeven. “This is an unnecessary and burdensome requirement on law-abiding citizens. We appreciate that CBP has recognized this and will return to their original forms for international hunters, while they update their automated system to recognize the difference between a commercial exporter and a sportsman traveling on a hunting trip to Canada or another country.”
CBP recently began enforcing regulatory changes from 2012 requiring U.S. hunters to comply with commercial export requirements when transporting firearms outside the U.S. for personal use. Under these requirements, in order for a U.S. hunter to take personal weapons to another country temporarily, the individual would have to register the weapon in the Automated Export System (AES) and provide a transaction number to CBP.
The AES is designed for commercial exporters and requires all users to obtain an Employer Identification Number (EIN) from the IRS in order to access the system. CBP has acknowledged that forcing hunters to obtain an EIN is not appropriate. Under the agreement reached this week, the agency will allow international hunters to use the original paper process while CBP works with the Department of State on an appropriate long-term solution.
http://www.hoeven.senate.gov/p...be-9c15-b5fb71a76999

Thanks,

Laura Evans
UNI_Hunters_Logo_3-Color.png

Posts: 12103 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: 26 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Farther out!!!!

I leave in 26 days.

Posts: 391 | Location: Henderson, NV | Registered: 21 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of PSmith
posted Hide Post
Looks as though the key words in the above are "Appropriations Committee"; likely the effective way to get action was to threaten to cut the department's budget.

Paul Smith
SCI Life Member
NRA Life Member
DSC Member
Life Member of the "I Can't Wait to Get Back to Africa" Club
DRSS
I had the privilege to fire E. Hemingway's WR .577NE, E. Keith's WR .470NE, & F. Jamieson's WJJ .500 Jeffery
I strongly recommend avoidance of "The Zambezi Safari & Travel Co., Ltd." and "Pisces Sportfishing-Cabo San Lucas"

"A failed policy of national defense is its own punishment" Otto von Bismarck

Posts: 2545 | Location: The 'Ham | Registered: 25 May 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
OK great news, now lift Ivory ban and I'll book an elephant hunt! Go after the purse strings!

I still expect to be treated as a criminal by ICE in Atlanta anyway coming back but I'll take a victory anyday

White Mountains Arizona

Posts: 2855 | Registered: 31 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
That certainly is a step in the right direction! Now, let's see what 'work-around' or alternative they come up with. If they use the same AES Account system and just substitute our social security number for the EIN, that actually makes things worse in my opinion.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I can't see that happening . One of the reasons for the EIN was concern over use of the SSNs.

Posts: 12103 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: 26 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
You can read this as not lifting the export permit process entirely simply modifying the current process to eliminate the IRS registration component. Hopefully that is not the case.

Mike

Posts: 21719 | Registered: 03 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MikeBurke
posted Hide Post
I read as a return to the old system (4457)
quote:
Hoeven secured a commitment from the agency to return to the paper process used by international hunters for years,

But with possible changes still coming
quote:
Under the agreement reached this week, the agency will allow international hunters to use the original paper process while CBP works with the Department of State on an appropriate long-term solution

What we have used in the past is more than appropriate!!!

One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
Sounds like that is the case. All I know is that I am glad I am not traveling in the next month. It is hard enough for the government to get things right without stops and starts. Now Lord only knows what the folks in the field will be requiring. Good luck to those traveling soon.

Mike

Posts: 21719 | Registered: 03 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Simply Outstanding! Thanks for posting Larry.

Posts: 4214 | Location: Southern Colorado | Registered: 09 October 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of PSmith
posted Hide Post
Ah, the joys of living in a police state.

Paul Smith
SCI Life Member
NRA Life Member
DSC Member
Life Member of the "I Can't Wait to Get Back to Africa" Club
DRSS
I had the privilege to fire E. Hemingway's WR .577NE, E. Keith's WR .470NE, & F. Jamieson's WJJ .500 Jeffery
I strongly recommend avoidance of "The Zambezi Safari & Travel Co., Ltd." and "Pisces Sportfishing-Cabo San Lucas"

"A failed policy of national defense is its own punishment" Otto von Bismarck

Posts: 2545 | Location: The 'Ham | Registered: 25 May 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yes it is OUTSTANDING news!

I bet this had a lot to do with the advocacy of folks like our own m3taco!

I sure appreciate all the hard work he and others like him have done for us! My hat is off!!!!

Posts: 42345 | Location: Crosby and Barksdale, Texas | Registered: 18 September 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Todd Williams
posted Hide Post
Thanks Larry!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks Larry for the posting. Made my day. We leave for Zim next month.
lb

One of Us
Picture of FishN4Eyes
posted Hide Post
Hope nothing changes between now and early July...

Thanks for posting, Larry!

Posts: 736 | Location: Helena, Montana | Registered: 28 October 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
There is still some sanity in this World - Great!!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Great News.

NRA LIFE MEMBER
DU DIAMOND SPONSOR IN PERPETUITY
DALLAS SAFARI CLUB LIFE MEMBER
SCI FOUNDATION MEMBER

Posts: 1366 | Location: SPARTANBURG SOUTH CAROLINA | Registered: 02 July 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Gentlemen all:

While I think this is great news, I don’t think this is any time to do any kind of victory dance. I seriously doubt this issue is going to be "dead”…perhaps in “hibernation” until “they” regroup and try again. Specifically, as the press release states, “while updates are made to the automated reporting system for exporting weapons”. This clearly tells me “they” are still intent on doing this and using this system in any format I believe they will still be in violation of 18 USC, 926, "Firearms Owners' Protection Act" that FTBT found and posted up on 16 Apr. Firearm Owners' Protection Act

Para (a)(3) - “No such rule or regulation prescribed after the date of the enactment of the Firearms Owners’ Protection Act may require that records required to be maintained under this chapter or any portion of the contents of such records, be recorded at or transferred to a facility owned, managed, or controlled by the United States or any State or any political subdivision thereof, nor that any system of registration of firearms, firearms owners, or firearms transactions or dispositions be established.”

THIS is where we need to start hammering them NEXT!

Posts: 573 | Location: Somewhere between here and there. | Registered: 28 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of cal pappas
posted Hide Post
Gents:
For you that are more knowledgeable than I (which is all of you): on May 14 I will drive out of Alaska to the States and want to bring a double and an old Winchester to a gunsmith in New Jersey. Any suggestions for driving through Canada other than a 4457 and the standard Canadian form?
Cal

Cal Pappas, Willow, Alaska
www.CalPappas.com
www.CalPappas.blogspot.com
1994 Zimbabwe
1997 Zimbabwe
1998 Zimbabwe
1999 Zimbabwe
1999 Namibia, Botswana, Zambia--vacation
2000 Australia
2002 South Africa
2003 South Africa
2003 Zimbabwe
2005 South Africa
2005 Zimbabwe
2006 Tanzania
2006 Zimbabwe--vacation
2007 Zimbabwe--vacation
2008 Zimbabwe
2012 Australia
2013 South Africa
2013 Zimbabwe
2013 Australia
2016 Zimbabwe
2017 Zimbabwe
2018 South Africa
2018 Zimbabwe--vacation
2019 South Africa
2019 Botswana
2019 Zimbabwe vacation
2021 South Africa
2021 South Africa (2nd hunt a month later)

Posts: 7281 | Location: Willow, Alaska | Registered: 29 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Cal, are you going to see Paul at G&H? Maybe we could meet up for lunch....Paul's buying! :-)

Posts: 20165 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
Taken from a notice that SCI sent out today: "SCI Celebrates An Early Victory In the Fight Against Firearms Export Registration Requirements
The efforts of SCI, the National Shooting Sports Foundation, the National Rifle Association and others met with success on April 23, 2015 when Customs and Border Protection (CBP) reversed their decision to implement changes to the procedural requirements for hunters and recreational shooters wishing to travel abroad with their firearms. At a budget hearing held before the House Committee on Appropriations, R. Gil Kerlikowske, Commissioner of CBP, announced that the agency would temporarily return to the paper process used for years by international hunters and recreational shooters. In response to questions posed by members of the Committee, Mr. Kerlikowske explained that CBP would temporarily withdraw its requirement that hunters and shooters, who wish to take their firearms out of the country, register their firearms in the Automated Export System (AES). Mr. Kerlikowske informed the Appropriations Committee that CBP would be modifying its website later in the day to reflect this change in position. Please refer to this link for additional information about the hearing.

SCI will continue to pursue a long-term solution to this issue. Today’s decision provides only a temporary fix to a broader concern. The recently proposed (and just aborted) changes to the exportation of firearms comply with regulations, adopted in 2012, that require electronic registration. SCI is working with NSSF, NRA and others to propose revisions to these problematic rules.

Please continue to follow SCI communications for further developments on this issue."

One of Us
Picture of boarkiller
posted Hide Post
Who are these CBP, BATF people?
Are they even AMericans?
Are they from the earth?
Are they some robotic aliens, bent on controlling us all to their liking slowly but surely? X files in real life?
I tell you, anymore, I look at any Federal workers as at least unfriendly and with suspicion and at worst, enemies of the US
Just can't help it...

" Until the day breaks and the nights shadows flee away " Big ivory for my pillow and 2.5% of Neanderthal DNA flowing thru my veins.
When I'm ready to go, pack a bag of gunpowder up my ass and strike a fire to my pecker, until I squeal like a boar.
Yours truly , Milan The Boarkiller - World according to Milan
PS I have big boar on my floor...but it ain't dead, just scared to move...

Man should be happy and in good humor until the day he dies...
Only fools hope to live forever
“ Hávamál”

Posts: 13376 | Location: In mountains behind my house hunting or drinking beer in Blacksmith Brewery in Stevensville MT or holed up in Lochsa | Registered: 27 December 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Wow! Thanks to all and everyone who had anything to do with this reversal. Thank you for fighting the good fight on our behalf. Hope this becomes a permanent fix!

Posts: 2627 | Location: Colorado | Registered: 26 May 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Good for us...

Although I was getting a kick out of being a USG certified "arms exporter" and getting called (jokingly) names by colleagues...

Of course now my name is on even MORE government lists...

Posts: 11025 | Location: Minnesota USA | Registered: 15 June 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Gents:

As I've done in the past on this topic, I'm posting what I've drafted and been blasting out all afternoon to my Congressrats. Feel free to cut/paste/modify and send as you see fit.

Congressman/Senator:

A few weeks ago I contacted your office regarding new ICE requirements being implemented requiring hunters/sportsmen wishing to take their personal, non-military, sport hunting firearms outside of the US. https://www.ice.gov/cpi/faq

I had also included links to the ICE referenced AESDirect web site https://aesdirect.census.gov/ and the IRS web site regarding IRS rules/procedures regarding the required Employer Identification Number (EIN) http://www.irs.gov/Businesses/...ber-%28EIN%29-Online and the EINs mandatory use both to open an account in AESDirect or to have a third-party with an AESDirect Account enter the travelers information and obtain the new mandatory Internal Tracking Number (ITN).

I also pointed out the fact, per the IRS website link above, “Employer Identification Numbers are issued for the purpose of tax administration and are not intended for participation in any other activities (e.g., tax lien auction or sales, lotteries, etc.)” and in order to comply with the new ICE requirements and use the AESDirect commercial website, traveling sportsmen would be potentially violating Federal IRS code by obtaining and using an EIN for a non-“tax administrative” purpose.

Today, Senator John Hoeven announced on his website that CB&P has agreed to temporarily return to the previous paper forms while the AESDirect website is updated/modified for private (non-commercial) use. http://www.hoeven.senate.gov/p...be-9c15-b5fb71a76999

While I think this is great news, I seriously doubt this issue is going to be "dead”…perhaps in “hibernation” until DHS/ICE/C&BP regroup and try again. Specifically, as the press release states, “while updates are made to the automated reporting system for exporting weapons”. This clearly tells me they still intend on doing this and using this system in any format, I believe will still be in violation of 18 USC, 926, "Firearms Owners' Protection Act" by requiring sportsman traveling out of the US having the serial numbers of their personal, non-military, sporting/hunting firearms entered and maintained in a Federally maintained database in what I believe is in clear violation para (a)(3) of the above Act.

Para (a)(3) - “No such rule or regulation prescribed after the date of the enactment of the Firearms Owners’ Protection Act may require that records required to be maintained under this chapter or any portion of the contents of such records, be recorded at or transferred to a facility owned, managed, or controlled by the United States or any State or any political subdivision thereof, nor that any system of registration of firearms, firearms owners, or firearms transactions or dispositions be established.”

While I don’t think ANY temporary export permit should be required for personally owned non-automatic, sporting firearms, if there is some legitimate reason to make sure sporting arms going out are actually coming back, I have the following recommendation - a simple paper process. The form could be the same size as the current required CBP Form 4457 http://www.cbp.gov/document/fo...effects-taken-abroad so it would be easy to clip inside a passport just like a 4457.

This new form would have the travelers basic info, just name and passport number, firearm info (make, model, serial #), estimated departure/re-entry dates and estimated ports of exit and re-entry. I say "estimate" for dates and ports as it is not unusual for flights to change or get canceled, or for those driving across a boarder to change exit/entry points for any number of legitimate reasons. The form would have the date and time, name/initials and phone number of the US C&BP officer and stamped seal just like the current CBP Form 4457.

This form would be filled out at the same time as the traveler goes to a local C&BP office to obtain the CBP Form 4457 or at anytime after the traveler has confirmed airline tickets for those flying or could be completed at the departure boarder control point for those driving to Canada or Mexico. The form could be carried by the traveler and a copy in the rifle case. Unlike a CPB Form 4457 which is valid indefinitely, this new form would only be valid for this single trip. Since no government agency would be saving/recording firearm info in violation of 18 USC above, this would be very simple solution.

Important - this "new form" SHOULD NOT REPLACE the current CBP Form 4457 as this form is, and has been, used for DECADES by foreign countries for issuing their own "Temporary Import Permit" for those sporting/hunting arms temporarily coming into their countries. Changing the CBP Form 4457 or process with them will create SERIOUS problems for them as well as the hunters entering their countries.

Please feel free to email or call me if you or any of your staff would like additional information.

v/r

Posts: 573 | Location: Somewhere between here and there. | Registered: 28 February 2008Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by m3taco:
Gents:

As I've done in the past on this topic, I'm posting what I've drafted and been blasting out all afternoon to my Congressrats. Feel free to cut/paste/modify and send as you see fit.

Congressman/Senator:

A few weeks ago I contacted your office regarding new ICE requirements being implemented requiring hunters/sportsmen wishing to take their personal, non-military, sport hunting firearms outside of the US. https://www.ice.gov/cpi/faq

I had also included links to the ICE referenced AESDirect web site https://aesdirect.census.gov/ and the IRS web site regarding IRS rules/procedures regarding the required Employer Identification Number (EIN) http://www.irs.gov/Businesses/...ber-%28EIN%29-Online and the EINs mandatory use both to open an account in AESDirect or to have a third-party with an AESDirect Account enter the travelers information and obtain the new mandatory Internal Tracking Number (ITN).

I also pointed out the fact, per the IRS website link above, “Employer Identification Numbers are issued for the purpose of tax administration and are not intended for participation in any other activities (e.g., tax lien auction or sales, lotteries, etc.)” and in order to comply with the new ICE requirements and use the AESDirect commercial website, traveling sportsmen would be potentially violating Federal IRS code by obtaining and using an EIN for a non-“tax administrative” purpose.

Today, Senator John Hoeven announced on his website that CB&P has agreed to temporarily return to the previous paper forms while the AESDirect website is updated/modified for private (non-commercial) use. http://www.hoeven.senate.gov/p...be-9c15-b5fb71a76999

While I think this is great news, I seriously doubt this issue is going to be "dead”…perhaps in “hibernation” until DHS/ICE/C&BP regroup and try again. Specifically, as the press release states, “while updates are made to the automated reporting system for exporting weapons”. This clearly tells me they still intend on doing this and using this system in any format, I believe will still be in violation of 18 USC, 926, "Firearms Owners' Protection Act" by requiring sportsman traveling out of the US having the serial numbers of their personal, non-military, sporting/hunting firearms entered and maintained in a Federally maintained database in what I believe is in clear violation para (a)(3) of the above Act.

While I don’t think ANY temporary export permit should be required for personally owned non-automatic, sporting firearms, if there is some legitimate reason to make sure sporting arms going out are actually coming back, I have the following recommendation - a simple paper process. The form could be the same size as the current required CBP Form 4457 http://www.cbp.gov/document/fo...effects-taken-abroad so it would be easy to clip inside a passport just like a 4457.

This new form would have the travelers basic info, just name and passport number, firearm info (make, model, serial #), estimated departure/re-entry dates and estimated ports of exit and re-entry. I say "estimate" for dates and ports as it is not unusual for flights to change or get canceled, or for those driving across a boarder to change exit/entry points for any number of legitimate reasons. The form would have the date and time, name/initials and phone number of the US C&BP officer and stamped seal just like the current CBP Form 4457.

This form would be filled out at the same time as the traveler goes to a local C&BP office to obtain the CBP Form 4457 or at anytime after the traveler has confirmed airline tickets for those flying or could be completed at the departure boarder control point for those driving to Canada or Mexico. The form could be carried by the traveler and a copy in the rifle case. Unlike a CPB Form 4457 which is valid indefinitely, this new form would only be valid for this single trip. Since no government agency would be saving/recording firearm info in violation of 18 USC above, this would be very simple solution.

Important - this "new form" SHOULD NOT REPLACE the current CBP Form 4457 as this form is, and has been, used for DECADES by foreign countries for issuing their own "Temporary Import Permit" for those sporting/hunting arms temporarily coming into their countries. Changing the CBP Form 4457 or process with them will create SERIOUS problems for them as well as the hunters entering their countries.

Please feel free to email or call me if you or any of your staff would like additional information.

v/r

LTC,

With all due respect intended, have you lost your mind?! This proposed solution is just way too easy and makes far too much sense!

Posts: 584 | Location: Phoenix, AZ | Registered: 13 August 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I am told that this was a cooperative effort of the NRA, SCI and DSC.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Fantastic!!!!

While not my first time making my feelings known to our elected representatives, this is the first time I feel my voice might have counted.

Many thanks to those who did so much research and allowed others to use their work.

Keith

What counts is what you learn after you know it all!!!

Posts: 712 | Location: York,Pa | Registered: 27 February 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by larryshores:

That is even more encouraging: Three sets of eyes, ears and lobbyists. However, I trust these Obongo Bureaucrats about as far as I can throw them.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by larryshores:

+1

And I am pretty sure Larry also reached out to all his contacts at all three places so a Big Plus 1 from me to Larry and NRA?/SCI/DSC.

For me personally flying in 5 days to hunt in Zim this is a big relief.

Mike

Posts: 13145 | Location: Cocoa Beach, Florida | Registered: 22 July 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Talked to Juan Martinez at Travel with Guns today. He said to just wait because it's still all up in the air as to what will be required. Fine for me. I'm leaving in October. Not sure what that means for those leaving now.

I'd consult with Travel with Guns. They seem to be on top of it.

Posts: 10363 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 26 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I left today to go turkey hunting. This was before I got the word. I asked the Delta people a out this. They had No idea.

I am glad to see all the gun/hunting organizations working together.

One of Us
Picture of Frostbit
posted Hide Post
I think I'm still going to frame the "yellow sticky" when I get home. Fun stuff!!

2015 His & Her Leopards with Derek Littleton of Luwire Safaris - http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/2971090112
2015 Trophy Bull Elephant with CMS http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/1651069012
DIY Brooks Range Sheep Hunt 2013 - http://forums.accuratereloadin...901038191#9901038191
Zambia June/July 2012 with Andrew Baldry - Royal Kafue http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/7971064771
Zambia Sept 2010- Muchinga Safaris http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/4211096141
Namibia Sept 2010 - ARUB Safaris http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6781076141

Posts: 7624 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 05 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Great news!
Am in SADA now, and was worried about coming home. Thanks for the update

Posts: 1490 | Location: New York | Registered: 01 January 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of LionHunter
posted Hide Post
This is not the end. The language indicates this is only a temporary suspension until other options can be implemented.

Please keep up contact with SCI, NRA and the National Shooting Sports Foundation. They are the NGOs that went to bat for us on this. They need to continue to work on this issue until it is PERMANENTLY resolved.

Mike
NRA Life
Sables Life
Mzuri
IPHA

"To be a Marine is enough."

Posts: 3577 | Location: Silicon Valley | Registered: 19 November 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by LionHunter:
This is not the end. The language indicates this is only a temporary suspension until other options can be implemented. ...

Yup. While certainly encouraging, we have to watch these SOB's. "The Devil Is In The Details" in terms of the "other options." I would like to hear the sound of champagne corks popping, but I am afraid it is too soon.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Well it's a start! And thanks again to those that put the letters together for us to send and those that gave so willingly and unselfishly of their time for US!

Posts: 42345 | Location: Crosby and Barksdale, Texas | Registered: 18 September 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
Thanks SCI, NRA and the National Shooting Sports Foundation! tu2

One of Us
Picture of Tim Herald
posted Hide Post
I leave for Botswana tomorrow. Will let you know how it goes getting out.

Good Hunting,

Tim Herald
Worldwide Trophy Adventures
tim@trophyadventures.com

Posts: 2981 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: 13 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If you are leaving the country in the next week or so, I would bring along a print out of this PR from the CBP website along with your 4457, just in case all of CBP hasn't heard about this yet.

Safe travels all. Namibia in 127 days for me!

http://www.cbp.gov/newsroom/na...exportation-firearms

emporary Exportation of Firearms
Release Date:
April 23, 2015

WASHINGTON— U.S. Customs and Border Protection will continue to follow the long standing practice of issuing and certifying a Certificate of Registration (CBP Form 4457) to ensure that no traveler attempting to legally take their firearm out of the country experiences significant delays or incurs additional cost due to the implementation of a new regulation requiring an electronic filing. CBP's enforcement focus is on those engaged in illegal exportation of firearms for use by overseas organizations and individuals wishing to cause harm.

During this time, when a traveler contacts CBP to report export of a firearm, CBP will:

Assist the traveler to complete a CBP Form 4457 to assist in an issue free return to the U.S.
Provide a fact sheet about the regulation and how to comply.

Additionally, CBP is working with our other government partners to modify the AES system and the reporting process to make a more user-friendly experience for individual travelers.

CBP recommends that travelers allow a few hours for the declaration of the firearms to CBP and advises travelers to become familiar with the import requirements of the foreign country(s) that they may be traveling through or visiting. The countries may have more restrictive laws and regulations regarding the use of firearms.

Current export regulations issued by the Department of State require the traveler to file electronic export information (EEI) for temporary export of personally owned firearms via the Automated Export System (AES) prior to departure from the United States. AES has a free web-based internet application known as AESDirect that permits the traveling public to electronically report the Electronic Export Information (EEI) for temporary export of their firearm(s).

"I speak of Africa and golden joys; the joy of wandering through lonely lands; the joy of hunting the mighty and terrible lords of the wilderness, the cunning, the wary and the grim."
Theodore Roosevelt, Khartoum, March 15, 1910

Posts: 251 | Location: Central Massachusetts | Registered: 02 June 2004Reply With Quote