THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AFRICAN HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  African Big Game Hunting    Appalling photos emerge of Canberra developer posing with trophy kill
Page 1 2 

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Appalling photos emerge of Canberra developer posing with trophy kill
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted Hide Post
None of the photos were in questionable taste with the exception of the baboon in the front seat, but maybe he was tweaking the very people who were offended by it with that photo. As hunters, we have been under attack by media snowflakes for so long that many of us have developed a defiant attitude in the face of their BS. We are a more independent lot by nature, and it is understandable if he decided to post such a picture just to stir the pot.

one of us
posted Hide Post
http://www.canberratimes.com.a...20180227-h0wr7h.html

Hellenic vice president resigns after posing with trophy kills.

Kathi

kathi@wildtravel.net
708-425-3552

"The world is a book, and those who do not travel read only one page."

Posts: 9484 | Location: Chicago | Registered: 23 July 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Bud Meadows
posted Hide Post
Good thing he didn’t post a picture of Buzz in his infamous “Mankini”

Jesus saves, but Moses invests

Posts: 1388 | Location: Lake Bluff, IL | Registered: 02 May 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Charlie64
posted Hide Post

Doesn't say much for the Canberra Times if that is all they have to write about !

Everything is in the public space nowadays and any pictures and reports out there are potential anti bait / material.

I am happy to write and post trophy and other pictures but wouldn't take anything like the baboon picture and place it to the net.

On the other hand maybe we all should do that and to hell with them!

"Up the ladders and down the snakes!"

Posts: 2327 | Location: South Africa & Europe | Registered: 10 February 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Kathi,

No offense intended, but are you affiliated with PETA or any other animal rights group?

Some of your discussions seem rather anti-hunting.

BH63

Hunting buff is better than sex!

Posts: 2205 | Registered: 29 December 2015Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BaxterB
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BuffHunter63:
Kathi,

No offense intended, but are you affiliated with PETA or any other animal rights group?

BH63

You need to do some research. Kathi is and has been a fountain of information here on AR. She brings stories that most of us would otherwise miss entirely. Sharing this story isn’t anti-hunting, it’s merely showing us what is happening to hunters around the world.

Kathi is legit.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Exactly.

Not to mention that it isn't her writing. She posts articles. Good, bad or indifferent.

Posts: 12094 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: 26 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Kathi,

BH63

Kathi reposts articles. Try to pay closer attention before you go off on someone.

Jeff

Posts: 2857 | Location: FL | Registered: 18 September 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
A little context on the articles. It is my understanding that:

1. Not surprisingly there is more to the story than meets the eye. Nick is a real estate developer. Nick and his family have been involved in a real estate development that has attracted a vocal and active opposition group. The article is no accident and has more to do with business and attempting to discredit Nick and his real estate project than with any legitimate concerns over hunting.

2. The photos used in the article were never posted on Facebook, Instagram or any other similar social media platform . . . although they were posted on AR (through a private Photobucket account). As we all know, AR is monitored by a variety of people not all of whom are hunters and sportsmen. This is reminder to all of us of that fact. Just a reality of the times in which we live.

Whether you agree with the composition of the pictures or disagree, some context is always useful.

Mike

Posts: 21684 | Registered: 03 January 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hardly appalling, got to wonder what is repulsive about a baboon in a comical pose,doesn't even look dead. Heck, we have a whole museum dedicated to mounted Richardson's ground squirrels {gophers} in domestic settings.

http://gopherholemuseum.ca/dioramas/

Gotta admit there was some wailing and teeth gnashing when it opened. Smiler

Grizz

Indeed, no human being has yet lived under conditions which, considering the prevailing climates of the past, can be regarded as normal. John E Pfeiffer, The Emergence of Man

Those who can't skin, can hold a leg. Abraham Lincoln

Only one war at a time. Abe Again.

Posts: 4211 | Location: Alta. Canada | Registered: 06 November 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I whacked a baboon years ago and the young PH took his fancy fedora (or whatever that cool looking hat was?) and after propping the simian up - put the hat on the monk's head.

I remember thinking that I would not put my hat on a baboon's head and then wear it .. Sheesh ... thumbdown Smiler

Posts: 1544 | Location: Alberta/Namibia | Registered: 29 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BaxterB:
quote:
Kathi,

BH63

You need to do some research. Kathi is and has been a fountain of information here on AR. She brings stories that most of us would otherwise miss entirely. Sharing this story isn’t anti-hunting, it’s merely showing us what is happening to hunters around the world.

Kathi is legit.

+1

Go Duke!!

Posts: 1298 | Location: Texas | Registered: 25 January 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Crazyhorseconsulting
posted Hide Post
quote:
Kathi,

Any excuse to attack each other is better than none.

Even the rocks don't last forever.

Posts: 31014 | Location: Olney, Texas | Registered: 27 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MJines:
A little context on the articles. It is my understanding that:

1. Not surprisingly there is more to the story than meets the eye. Nick is a real estate developer. Nick and his family have been involved in a real estate development that has attracted a vocal and active opposition group. The article is no accident and has more to do with business and attempting to discredit Nick and his real estate project than with any legitimate concerns over hunting.

2. The photos used in the article were never posted on Facebook, Instagram or any other similar social media platform . . . although they were posted on AR (through a private Photobucket account). As we all know, AR is monitored by a variety of people not all of whom are hunters and sportsmen. This is reminder to all of us of that fact. Just a reality of the times in which we live.

Whether you agree with the composition of the pictures or disagree, some context is always useful.

Thanks for posting that.

As usual in the media today...most hit jobs have an ulterior motive.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
J. Lane Easter, DVM

A born Texan has instilled in his system a mind-set of no retreat or no surrender. I wish everyone the world over had the dominating spirit that motivates Texans.– Billy Clayton, Speaker of the Texas House

No state commands such fierce pride and loyalty. Lesser mortals are pitied for their misfortune in not being born in Texas.— Queen Elizabeth II on her visit to Texas in May, 1991.

Posts: 37790 | Location: Gainesville, TX | Registered: 24 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Many on this thread make suggestions that sail perilously close to appeasement. While I agree that circumspection may be in order for those in the public eye, it's important to realize that the only way the antis will be appeased is by a total ban on hunting, a total ban on the use of animal products, such as leather, a ban on all animal product safety testing, a ban on the eating of meat, and, finally, the total confiscation of all firearms in private ownership.

A policy of appeasement will work about as well for us as Neville Chamberlain's policy of appeasement in the 1930s worked on Adolph Hitler.

analog_peninsula
-----------------------

It takes character to withstand the rigors of indolence.

Posts: 1580 | Location: Dallas, Tx | Registered: 02 June 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of twoseventy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Thor Kirchner:
When will people learn not to call a LAND CRUISER a jeep Mad

When I first went to Africa, the ph's and staff called Land Cruisers a Rover. Japies called them baki.

Go figure.

...I say that hunters go into Paradise when they die, and live in this world more joyfully than any other men.
-Edward, duke of York

". . . when a man has shot an elephant his life is full." ~John Alfred Jordan

"The budget should be balanced, the Treasury should be refilled, public debt should be reduced, the arrogance of officialdom should be tempered and controlled, and the assistance to foreign lands should be curtailed lest Rome become bankrupt. People must again learn to work, instead of living on public assistance." Cicero - 55 BC

"The smallest minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities." - Ayn Rand

Cogito ergo venor- KPete

“It is not from the benevolence of the butcher, the brewer, or the baker, that we expect our dinner, but from their regard to their own self-interest. We address ourselves, not to their humanity but to their self-love, and never talk to them of our own necessities but of their advantages.”
― Adam Smith - “Wealth of Nations”

Posts: 989 | Location: Oregon | Registered: 12 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BaxterB
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by analog_peninsula:
Many on this thread make suggestions that sail perilously close to appeasement. While I agree that circumspection may be in order for those in the public eye, it's important to realize that the only way the antis will be appeased is by a total ban on hunting, a total ban on the use of animal products, such as leather, a ban on all animal product safety testing, a ban on the eating of meat, and, finally, the total confiscation of all firearms in private ownership.

A policy of appeasement will work about as well for us as Neville Chamberlain's policy of appeasement in the 1930s worked on Adolph Hitler.

Anti hunters will never be appeased, it’s a waste of time. Non-Hunters with even a skosh of an open mind (a much, much bigger number) can become allies (albeit hesitant) by seeing hunting in its most positive light. That part is up to us.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Big +1 on that. I will also commend Kathi for her posts. Again she is a hunter and a ally!

Posts: 481 | Location: Denver, CO | Registered: 20 June 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
As Mike Jines says there is more to meets the eye with this story. We have had the pleasure of Nick hunting with us several times and he is as good a hunter and as ethically minded as any I have met.As others have said the antis will only be appeased when all hunting is closed.

Posts: 1128 | Location: Zimbabwe | Registered: 22 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bwana Bunduki:
quote:
Kathi,

BH63

Kathi reposts articles. Try to pay closer attention before you go off on someone.

Jeff

I just asked a question (in a benign way). Didn't "go off" on anyone. You should cool your jets!

BH63

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Bwana Bunduki:
quote:
Kathi,

BH63

Jeff

I just asked a question (in a benign way). Didn't "go off" on anyone. You should cool your jets!

BH63

BH63
Your question is perfectly understandable BH63.It has not been a long time you've been a member here.I might suspect the same thing if I were new and didn't know that Kathy and her husband have been long time African hunters.

Posts: 11651 | Location: Montreal | Registered: 07 November 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
^
Thanks for the clarification.

BH63

Administrator
posted Hide Post
Kathi is only reporting what happened, and we should be greatful to her for bringing these stories.

Actually she beats to posting one, as I was about to do so when I saw that she did.

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 68668 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
problem these days with antis and social media that it is published WORLD WIDE and can cause a lot of harm. This happened in Australia and now the whole world knows about it. I blame the social media for this. It is also a shame that these days one has to be so careful who visits your house. i.e. tradesmen etc. One photo and one can be ruined.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by AB109:
problem these days with antis and social media that it is published WORLD WIDE and can cause a lot of harm. This happened in Australia and now the whole world knows about it. I blame the social media for this. It is also a shame that these days one has to be so careful who visits your house. i.e. tradesmen etc. One photo and one can be ruined.

We need social media of our own which exposes individuals/businesses who WE think our doing disgusting things.It's called fighting back. Instead we are always analyzing how we got screwed.

Posts: 11651 | Location: Montreal | Registered: 07 November 2002Reply With Quote