THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AFRICAN HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  African Big Game Hunting    Penalty for violating a US Travel Ban?

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Penalty for violating a US Travel Ban?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I am to arrive in Harare May 19th for a hunt with Ben Kotze Safaris. What if the US decides to put a complete travel ban on Zim? What are the odds the US would do this? What would be my penalty if I go anyway? How would they know? Help me with a POTENTIAL cost/benefit analysis.

You can borrow money, but you can't borrow time. Go now.

STAY IN THE FIGHT!

Posts: 1849 | Location: Southern California | Registered: 25 July 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
It has never happened before, and the odds are it won't happen ever, if it does all that means is that the Govt. recommends that you don't go their, they cannot tell you where you can go...Even if they could it would take longer than a year to install such sanctions, and at the rate they operate your safe for 2008 and 2009..

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 42171 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Odds of a complete travel ban: 0.00%

Penalty for violating the ban: Federal felony conviction.

The more critical issue is whether you are hunting on a concession owned at last in part by someone who is on the U.S. State Department's blacklist. Most Zim operators would never consider putting a U.S. citizen in a position like that, but there seem to be a couple of bad apples in every barrel.

Posts: 18352 | Location: Salt Lake City, Utah USA | Registered: 20 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of tiggertate
posted Hide Post
Ray's right, they just give advisories, not outright bans (except maybe Cuba and North Korea). But if you get in trouble and need the consulate after an advisory has been issued, they can be uncooperative about assistance unless its life or death.

"Experience" is the only class you take where the exam comes before the lesson.

Posts: 11142 | Location: Texas, USA | Registered: 22 September 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Cool. Thanks for the info.

Mike Core

STAY IN THE FIGHT!

Posts: 1849 | Location: Southern California | Registered: 25 July 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
Made me curious so I checked the State Department website. There is not even a travel ban for travel to Iran or North Korea. That should tell you something.

Mike

Posts: 21719 | Registered: 03 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
It would take an attorney schooled/specialized in international law to give finite answer to an actual ban on travel of U.S. citizens, difficult to do unles war declared and with delcaration of war most anything is possible, but common sense is the guideline to follow. If you feel/insist on travelling to an area that is dangerous, percieved as dangerous, that is up to you. In a foreign land you are subject to their laws, not U.S. laws. State Department is not designed to operate as guardian of U.S. citizens. Someone asked how would the U.S. Governemt know if you travelled to a place and the answer is passport data. Don't leave home without it and sure as hell not going to get back in without it I might add. During political turmoil whether it be Zimbabwe or elsewhere is not the place to be seeking adventure. Lots of places to hunt and African politics and civil uprisings are best experienced on the evening news channels.

Posts: 1165 | Location: Banks of Kanawha, forks of Beaver Dam and Spring Creek | Registered: 06 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Just ask JC aka Jimmy Smiles, he's very familiar with traveling contrary to State Dept. protocol.

Jim Berry

Posts: 81 | Location: Culpeper, Virginia | Registered: 01 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MJines:
Made me curious so I checked the State Department website. There is not even a travel ban for travel to Iran or North Korea. That should tell you something.

Well you can technically go there and other "embargoed" countires like Cuba too but you can't spend one red cent. If you do that you are trading with the enemy which is a federal offense.

The real problem with travelling to a "banned" and not "embargoed" country is that the is no embassy and you are SOL if you get into trouble.

I think Craig Boddington said it best on his African Adventure video, "only a fool would go into a war zone". While there is no war right now and might not ever be, it could also break out in the next 5 minutes.

Posts: 952 | Location: Mass | Registered: 14 August 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by GeoffM24:
I think Craig Boddington said it best on his African Adventure video, "only a fool would go into a war zone". While there is no war right now and might not ever be, it could also break out in the next 5 minutes.

I would venture a guess that Craig makes at least, minimum, two or three trips to Zim this season.

Mike

Posts: 21719 | Registered: 03 January 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have "heard" there is a "ban" on US citizens traveling to Cuba.

I have also heard some people have had problems after returning from Cuba after Bass fishing.

Also, I have heard it is even illegal for a US citizen to buy [and thus smoke] a Cuban cigar, even if your are in a country that legally sells them.

One thing you do not want is the Feds on your arse.

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Frostbit
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by N E 450 No2:
I have "heard" there is a "ban" on US citizens traveling to Cuba.

I have also heard some people have had problems after returning from Cuba after Bass fishing.

Also, I have heard it is even illegal for a US citizen to buy [and thus smoke] a Cuban cigar, even if your are in a country that legally sells them.

One thing you do not want is the Feds on your arse.

If I Yank wants to go to Cuba they can do so through Mexico fairly easily. The Mexican folks and Cuban folks won't stamp your passport. Just remember to add "eh" at the end of your sentences and they will think you are Canadian. Big Grin

2015 His & Her Leopards with Derek Littleton of Luwire Safaris - http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/2971090112
2015 Trophy Bull Elephant with CMS http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/1651069012
DIY Brooks Range Sheep Hunt 2013 - http://forums.accuratereloadin...901038191#9901038191
Zambia June/July 2012 with Andrew Baldry - Royal Kafue http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/7971064771
Zambia Sept 2010- Muchinga Safaris http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/4211096141
Namibia Sept 2010 - ARUB Safaris http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6781076141

Posts: 7624 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 05 February 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
While in Venezuela I had a chance to go to a bachelor's party in Havana. I didn't go, but others did, and rather than stamp their Americian passport which could have gotten Americans in trouble, the Cuban authorities stamped a piece of paper placed in the passport. (They didn't see any reason to chase away tourists wanting to spend money in Cuba.)

Like you I'm watching Zim because I have flights to go there in September. For the last five years I've stayed in touch with a friend that was born and raised in Zim, whose father still lives there. I used to ask him how things were before I would travel there. He always told me "great, no problem, have fun". This year when I asked, he said."I hope Zimbabawe is still there in September". Not real comforting.

Posts: 13870 | Location: Texas | Registered: 10 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I know several folks who have been to Cuba, some many times. One friend forgot to remove the stamped insert coming back in from Cancun. The worst effect was that for a couple of years he was "flagged" and received a bit more attention at US customs when traveling abroad. When he was busted it was no more than a 15 minute lecture from the officer. They well know these US bans are circumvented every day.

Posts: 1339 | Registered: 17 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Under the Clinton Admin the enforcement of the Cuban embargo was much more lax. Legal travelers like students could even return with 2 boxes of cigars etc. Mail ordered cigars were confiscated but no one was really fined. It continued like this under most of the 1st term of the Bush Admin but now the crack down has been severe. Even legal travelers can't return with cigars and there have been wide scale crack downs on certain mail order purchases and fairly stiff fines. I had a close friend who was an Attorney who had a no profit to bring medical supplies about 5 years ago but the US gov made it almost impossible for them to continue so he had to stop going.

Posts: 952 | Location: Mass | Registered: 14 August 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
US threatens Zimbabwe sanctions
27/04/2008 22:49 - (SA)

Johannesburg - The US envoy for Africa threatened Zimbabwe with UN sanctions in an interview with the BBC released on Sunday if the post-election crisis in the Southern African nation is not resolved.

If the dispute does not change "we should contemplate multilateral sanctions through the UN," US Assistant Secretary of State Jendayi Frazer was quoted as saying in the interview published on the BBC website.

The UN Security Council will discuss the Zimbabwe crisis on Tuesday, with permanent members Britain and the United States ratcheting up the pressure on President Robert Mugabe, who has ruled for 28 years.

Frazer earlier called for an end to the violence in Zimbabwe and said opposition leader Morgan Tsvangirai should head up any new government, dismissing the prospect of a second round of the presidential election.

Results from the March 29 presidential election have still not been released but officials have said no candidate won more than 50% and there should be a run-off between Tsvangirai and Mugabe.

Frazer has been on a tour of the region, which began in South Africa, to put pressure on Mugabe to step down. She has met with South African officials and the presidents of Angola and Zambia.

Kathi

kathi@wildtravel.net
708-425-3552

"The world is a book, and those who do not travel read only one page."

Posts: 9498 | Location: Chicago | Registered: 23 July 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Sue
posted Hide Post
quote:

Is this why the Boddington hunt I recently watched on Tracks Across Africa that included his daughter Brittany was to Namibia, not Chifuti Safaris in Zim?

Posts: 276 | Location: VA/WV borderlands | Registered: 03 April 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sue:
quote:

Boddington goes on whatever safaris are free (promotional), and I certainly cannot blame him for that. It is not likely due to his concern about safety in Zim.

Is this why the Boddington hunt I recently watched on Tracks Across Africa that included his daughter Brittany was to Namibia, not Chifuti Safaris in Zim?

Posts: 18352 | Location: Salt Lake City, Utah USA | Registered: 20 April 2002Reply With Quote