THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AFRICAN HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  African Big Game Hunting    Zim Leopard Minimum Cartridge Requirement?

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Zim Leopard Minimum Cartridge Requirement?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Dear All,

I searched the forum, but did not find a definitive answer... Perhaps you can help??

Is there a legal cartridge minimum for Leopard in Zim??

A friend is going to Chirisa in March, and I suggested he bring a (second) rifle with a scope suited for low light shooting. That might mean calibers such as the 7x64 (~.280 Rem) or 7mm Rem Mag.

Does that get him in trouble with legal requirements, and can he expect a clean kill with a caliber as small as the 7x64 (assuming good bullets are used)??

His heavy rifle will be a .416 Rigby, and that will obviously work. But he might be a bit limited for low light performance with the scope he has on that rifle.

Thanks for your time in advance.

- mike

The rifle is a noble weapon... It entices its bearer into primeval forests, into mountains and deserts untenanted by man. - Horace Kephart

Posts: 6653 | Location: Switzerland | Registered: 11 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of mouse93
posted Hide Post
Mike it is 7mm and 7x57 allready fits in so x64 should do just fine - see:

https://forums.accuratereloading.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/...=420103056#420103056

Posts: 2028 | Location: Slovenia | Registered: 28 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Ahmed Sultan
posted Hide Post
I shot mine with 7MM Rem Mag. This caliber is more than enough for leopard and it was legal in Zim until last year, don't know if this has changed.

Ahmed Sultan

one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks guys. That was just the information I needed!
- mike

The rifle is a noble weapon... It entices its bearer into primeval forests, into mountains and deserts untenanted by man. - Horace Kephart

One of Us
Picture of Bwanna
posted Hide Post
Boddington in his "Boddington on Leopard" video uses the 30-06. He indicates the caliber makes the minimum energy requirement. I don't know what the actual number is. I used the 30-06 with Barnes X and the cat was dead under the tree.

Posts: 1667 | Location: Las Vegas, Nevada | Registered: 12 May 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I shot my Zimbabwe leopard with a 338 Win mag. He would have been just as dead just as fast if I'd used a 30-06 or 7X64. I think the key is to use good softs like Partitions, North Forks, A frames, Bearclaws and of adequate weight.

Posts: 740 | Location: CT/AZ USA | Registered: 14 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Not meaing to hyjack this thread, but how about .270 WSM with 160gr. Nosler Partition for Leopard in Namibia. Legal?? Enough gun?? Thanks!! Figured we might as well get 2 countries worth for the same price!!

Larry Sellers
SCI Life Member

Posts: 3460 | Location: Jemez Mountains, New Mexico | Registered: 09 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Karl S
posted Hide Post
Larry, yes its legal, and would be a good choice. Top it off with a really good scope, of which the 2.5-10x42 Swarovski is my favourite, and you would be perfect.
IMO Namibian leopard are often shot at a greater distance than Zim leopard, as there is just less bush. (Average about 80-120 yards.) (Especially in the Khomas and Kalahari regions, where I hunt them most myself.)

Karl Stumpfe
Ndumo Hunting Safaris www.huntingsafaris.net
karl@huntingsafaris.net
P.O. Box 1667, Katima Mulilo, Namibia
Cell: +264 81 1285 416
Fax: +264 61 254 328
Sat. phone: +88 163 166 9264

Posts: 1334 | Location: Namibia, Caprivi | Registered: 11 September 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Karl S:
Larry, yes its legal, and would be a good choice. Top it off with a really good scope, of which the 2.5-10x42 Swarovski is my favourite, and you would be perfect.
IMO Namibian leopard are often shot at a greater distance than Zim leopard, as there is just less bush. (Average about 80-120 yards.) (Especially in the Khomas and Kalahari regions, where I hunt them most myself.)

If 7mm is minimum in Zim for leopard, then the 270 WSM is not legal. The 270 is a .277 dia, and the 7mm is .284 dia, and is minmum dia legal for leopard. That is not to say it wouldn't be a fine leopard chambering, it would, but IMO, not legal in Zimbabwe, for leopard. Confused

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Not trying to second guess the Namibian (or Zim) regulations, but strictly speaking a .277 cal is a 7mm. .277" ~ 7.03mm. .284" ~ 7.21 mm.

So it really depends how the bureaucrats interpret the minimum "7mm caliber" requirement. If by caliber they simply mean bullet diameter, then .277 cal does the job.

- mike

One of Us
posted Hide Post
MacD37 - My question/concern was about the 270WSM in Namibia and Karl's answer of "yes it's legal" was also for Namibia. Guess I shouldn't have injected another Country into this? I guess two subjects in one thread are a little to much for some??

Larry Sellers
SCI Life Member

quote:
Originally posted by MacD37:
quote:
Originally posted by Karl S:

If 7mm is minimum in Zim for leopard, then the 270 WSM is not legal. The 270 is a .277 dia, and the 7mm is .284 dia, and is minmum dia legal for leopard. That is not to say it wouldn't be a fine leopard chambering, it would, but IMO, not legal in Zimbabwe, for leopard. Confused

Posts: 3460 | Location: Jemez Mountains, New Mexico | Registered: 09 February 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
7mm rem mag! 162 grn BTSP. thumb

Posts: 10478 | Location: N.W. Wyoming | Registered: 22 February 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mho:
Not trying to second guess the Namibian (or Zim) regulations, but strictly speaking a .277 cal is a 7mm. .277" ~ 7.03mm. .284" ~ 7.21 mm.

So it really depends how the bureaucrats interpret the minimum "7mm caliber" requirement. If by caliber they simply mean bullet diameter, then .277 cal does the job.

- mike

You are technicaly correct, in the exact translation of inches to MM! However, I somehow fear the game man who decides whether it is legal in Africa, will go by the lable on the box (270WSM),or the listing in the book,(270, vs 7mm) as he may not be as well trained in math as you! Big Grin

That being said, IMO, the 243 win should be legal, because what is needed for Leopard is a very accurate rifle that has enough speed to cause massive shock to the CNS, and the 243 win with a 100 gr bullet @3000 fps will do excactly that!

I didn't understand, because I read this to be saying that it is legal in Namibia, and asking about Zimbabwe, as well! Sorry about the (MY) confusion!

......................... homer

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote