New
Find
Notify
Tools

Zimbabwe Leopard Minimum Caliber
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I understand that 375 H & H or larger is required for thick skin dangerous game in Zimbabwe; however, is a 338 or 300 WM legal for leopard? If doing a leopard / plains game combo hunt do I have to use the 375?

Thanks for info.

Hugh

Posts: 435 | Location: GA, USA | Registered: 14 January 2005Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
If I remember correctly, 7mm is the minimum calber for leopard (there are some energy requirements as well, but everything from the 7x57 and 7-08 up are acceptable).

George

Posts: 14623 | Location: San Antonio, TX | Registered: 22 May 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of retreever
posted Hide Post
Hugh,

All three will work but I would ask your Ph...My light rifle was a 375 and my leopard was DRT at 40 yards shot hanging on a lion bait...

Mike

Michael Podwika... DRSS bigbores and hunting www.pvt.co.za " MAKE THE SHOT " 450#2 Famars

Posts: 6768 | Location: Wyoming, Pa. USA | Registered: 17 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Leopard is "class C" game (Along with kudu, sable, waterbuck, zebra etc) Minimum caliber is 7mm, and 7x57 and 7-08 both comfortably make the engergy requirements.

If anybody wants to know, my favourite rifle for leopard is...a 9,3x62 Big Grin

Posts: 3026 | Location: Zimbabwe | Registered: 23 July 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks Gentlemen.

Hugh

Posts: 435 | Location: GA, USA | Registered: 14 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Hugh W:
I understand that 375 H & H or larger is required for thick skin dangerous game in Zimbabwe; however, is a 338 or 300 WM legal for leopard? If doing a leopard / plains game combo hunt do I have to use the 375?

Thanks for info.

Hugh

7MM is legal for Leopard, but most are taken with the 30 cal cartridges. One of the best leopard PHs in Zim recomends, Andrew Dawson, a 30-06 with a 180 gr control expanding bullet, as about perfect. Like Ganyana, my choice would be a 9.3x62 in a bolt, or a 9.3X74R in a QD scoped double rifle. And while we're at it,I don't think 375 is not minimum in Zim, 9.3 is! Confused

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Bwanna
posted Hide Post
Shot mine last year in Zim with 30-06 and 165 grn Barnes.

Posts: 1667 | Location: Las Vegas, Nevada | Registered: 12 May 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
In 19 days I am trying with 338 225 Accu Bonds.

Posts: 5338 | Location: Bedford, Pa. USA | Registered: 23 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 404WJJeffery
posted Hide Post
I shot mine from a blind with the PH's 375, and it was dead, dead dead. Kind of errie coming out of the blind at night when you are not sure if the cat is dead or waiting for you just outside.

I used the 375 because my Chapuis Challenger in 9.3x62, a beautiful takedown rifle, with a spare 270 barrel, that was great to handle etc. constantly fed poorly, jammed, and the magazine dropped out at the shot if I put more than one round in the mag, etc. A beautiful rifle but really worthless as a practical hunting rifle.

"Are you gonna pull them pistols,...or whistle Dixie??"

Josie Wales 1866

Posts: 1489 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: 19 July 2005Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
7x57 with a 120 grain Ballistic Tip at 3150 fps into the chest with no exit worked well and was legal.

Posts: 47 | Location: Anchorage, Alaska | Registered: 26 February 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I used a 338Win Mag with 250gr woodleigh PP on my leopard. Worked fine but I could have used a 30-06 with the same result. I opted for 338 because of what else was around and kept a few solids handy JIC.

Posts: 740 | Location: CT/AZ USA | Registered: 14 February 2001Reply With Quote