Find
Notify
Tools

Ostrich Import to USA
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of larrys01
posted
My Taxidermist tells me the USDA now requires a new permit for importing Ostrich Hides into the States. Cost is $150.00. Anyone else aware of this? coffee

Posts: 1525 | Location: Iowa | Registered: 08 August 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Safari Specialty Importers
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by larrys01:
My Taxidermist tells me the USDA now requires a new permit for importing Ostrich Hides into the States. Cost is $150.00. Anyone else aware of this? coffee

Yes, there is a VS permit which came into effect at least since Nov 99. There is a special treatment that the taxidermist in Africa need to perform.If you have any problems please let me know.

Robert.

Posts: 192 | Location: New York | Registered: 25 May 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
ya and from what i have heard they band imports of ostrich egg shell art too. believe it or not the reasoning was to prevent bird flu shocker shocker shocker (the same hoax that cost american tax payers millions of dollars)

Posts: 3818 | Location: kenya, tanzania,RSA,Uganda or Ethophia depending on day of the week | Registered: 27 May 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Scriptus
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ddrhook:
ya and from what i have heard they band imports of ostrich egg shell art too. believe it or not the reasoning was to prevent bird flu shocker shocker shocker (the same hoax that cost american tax payers millions of dollars)

It really looks as though the dimwits of the World join the civil service.

Posts: 3297 | Location: South of the Equator. | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of twoseventy
posted Hide Post
Scriptus, that is an accurate observation regarding dimwits.

Tom

...I say that hunters go into Paradise when they die, and live in this world more joyfully than any other men.
-Edward, duke of York

". . . when a man has shot an elephant his life is full." ~John Alfred Jordan

"The budget should be balanced, the Treasury should be refilled, public debt should be reduced, the arrogance of officialdom should be tempered and controlled, and the assistance to foreign lands should be curtailed lest Rome become bankrupt. People must again learn to work, instead of living on public assistance." Cicero - 55 BC

"The smallest minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities." - Ayn Rand

Cogito ergo venor- KPete

“It is not from the benevolence of the butcher, the brewer, or the baker, that we expect our dinner, but from their regard to their own self-interest. We address ourselves, not to their humanity but to their self-love, and never talk to them of our own necessities but of their advantages.”
― Adam Smith - “Wealth of Nations”

Posts: 985 | Location: Oregon | Registered: 12 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ostrich eggs are cheap enough in the states.....

If the permit is 150, plus shipping, plus tanning, it makes me wonder how much an ostrich skin is if you just buy it in the states.... I believe the ostrich market is quite depressed.

Posts: 589 | Location: Austin TX, Mexico City | Registered: 17 August 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Frostbit
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Scriptus:
quote:

Or TSA

2015 His & Her Leopards with Derek Littleton of Luwire Safaris - http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/2971090112
2015 Trophy Bull Elephant with CMS http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/1651069012
DIY Brooks Range Sheep Hunt 2013 - http://forums.accuratereloadin...901038191#9901038191
Zambia June/July 2012 with Andrew Baldry - Royal Kafue http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/7971064771
Zambia Sept 2010- Muchinga Safaris http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/4211096141
Namibia Sept 2010 - ARUB Safaris http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6781076141

Posts: 7610 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 05 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Scriptus
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Patricio Gaudiano:
Ostrich eggs are cheap enough in the states.....

.... I believe the ostrich market is quite depressed.

I believe that it would be more accurate to say that ostrich farmers are depressed, with their stock being culled to prevent the spread of bird flu. Cool

Posts: 3297 | Location: South of the Equator. | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Jerry Huffaker
posted Hide Post
They're going to save us all from the bird flu and the same government allows the foods industry to pack all our food with High fructose corn syrup and countless chemicals you can't pronounce that are killing us by the millions.

Jerry Huffaker
State, National and World Champion Taxidermist

Posts: 2009 | Registered: 27 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of stubbleduck47
posted Hide Post
JH...
Whether you can pronounce the name of a chemical has little to do with its effect on physiology. I doubt you can name a single chemical that has, according to CDC, FDA, or other reputable food safety regulatory or research group, been legally added to a commercially available food product and resulted in a single verified death let alone "Killing us by the millions".

Posts: 911 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 09 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have wondered way the US govment allows additives that other governments will not allow stating that the harmful to human health? just a thought!!!

Posts: 3818 | Location: kenya, tanzania,RSA,Uganda or Ethophia depending on day of the week | Registered: 27 May 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of stubbleduck47
posted Hide Post
ddrhook..
Probably for much the same reasons there are different speed limits for vehicular traffic in different countries. Different governmental groups have come up with different systems for evaluating and accepting risk. In the case of food additives the risks accepted, as measured by chemicals accepted and quantities thereof, vary from infinitesimal, where specific chemicals are accepted following appropriate risk assessment, to none where said chemicals are banned for such reasons as the European "Precautionary Principle". The science of evaluating real risk in food additives is well known however it repeatedly runs into quasi religious beliefs regarding unsubstantiated "Risks" and scientists are not, as a rule, interested in or particularly good at arguing with folks who simply don't understand or believe in the scientific method as an appropriate way to make food additive decisions.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
OK, can anyone tell me what all this has to do with a permit to import a Ostrich !!!!!

Robert

One of Us
Picture of Scriptus
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Safari Specialty Importers:
OK, can anyone tell me what all this has to do with a permit to import a Ostrich !!!!!

Robert

Dear Robert, you are new here, I mean really, who wants an ostrich? This is a thread regarding dangerous food additives. You cannot just hi-jack an important thread to discuss permits and things. Roll Eyes

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by larrys01:

Dear Scriptus, you must be mistaken. The thread started with the question regarding a permit to import for an ostrich. Did I miss something?

Robert

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Dear Scriptus, you must be mistaken. The thread started with the question regarding a permit to import for an ostrich. Did I miss something?

Robert[/QUOTE]

Yes. Sarcasm.

Posts: 1981 | Location: South Dakota | Registered: 22 August 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Marty:

Robert

Yes. Sarcasm.[/QUOTE]

THANK YOU!!!!!!!

One of Us
Picture of Scriptus
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Marty:

Robert

Yes. Sarcasm.[/QUOTE]

Nah. Just a leg pull.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
LOL!!!!!!

One of Us
Picture of stubbleduck47
posted Hide Post
Imported a bow killed ostrich, feathers, skin, and legs (As supports for small tables) from SA in 2005. They arrived without fanfare to my home in Minneapolis. Regarding my other comments I just retired from a 30 plus year career focused on various aspects of food safety (Hold a PhD in a related field of science) and tend to over react to some of the silly statements made regarding the food supply. The system does have some issues but chemical additives are not really one of them.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Scriptus:
quote:

The dimwits are the ones that believe any Urban Legend that is generated from a keyboard, especially if it makes some deleteroius claim about a governmental agency. There is enough wrong with such agencies without making up misinformation about them.

I brought three untreated ostrich egg shells home with me from my trip. Although U.S. Customs confiscated the dried, cooked meat in my baggage, they could have cared less about the ostrich shells.

Posts: 13239 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of larrys01
posted Hide Post
Additional Info;
I've learned this applies only to Salted Skins. Tanned Skins do not require it. The Permit # is VF 16-3
I tried to find it on the USDA Web site but am unsucessfull so far.
I will update as I find more info. Confused

One of Us
Picture of larrys01
posted Hide Post
Here is where I found the Permit; I think?

http://www.aphis.usda.gov/anim...downloads/vs16_3.pdf

This is for un-processed products. Tanned skins do not require it, but slated skins do require it. Not sure about Egg Shells and such.
I'm told it takes about 3 weeks to aquire and if your shipment arrives without it, they threaten to send entire shipment back if it has un-processed items in it.

I have just been advised by my Broker that it is required for Ostrich eggs. Both decorated and non.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yes, that's it. Make sure it was treated in Africa according to USDA approved deactivation methods. If you need any help let me know

Robert

One of Us
posted Hide Post
A neighboring farm up here in upstate NJ just started with a bunch or Ostrichs and Bison. Not sure what he's raising them for.

Posts: 20139 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of larrys01
posted Hide Post
Response from USDA;

Thank you for your inquiry about importing a salted ostrich skin from Africa into the United States. As you indicate, you will need to apply for a VS-16-3 permit Application to Import or Transport Controlled Material or Organisms or Vectors. You can find a copy of this permit application on the Web site of USDA's Animal and Plant Health Inspection Service (APHIS) at http://www.aphis.usda.gov/libr...forms/index.shtml#vs.

You may also find helpful information regarding importing animal products into the United States on APHIS' Web site at http://www.aphis.usda.gov/impo...rts_anproducts.shtml. If you have any further questions or concerns, please contact APHIS' National Center for Import and Export at (301) 851-3300 or via email at AskNCIE.Products@aphis.usda.gov.