THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AFRICAN HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  African Big Game Hunting    What is ideal route from US to Windhoek?

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What is ideal route from US to Windhoek?
 Login/Join

posted
I will be traveling to Windhoek in October. Some people have said it is easiest to just go to through Joberg and some say go from Europe down. Thanks a million.

-William

Posts: 15 | Location: San Antonio, Tx. | Registered: 27 August 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The 2 times we went, we went through Frankfurt.
When we go back we'll probably do the same.
12 hr. layover, get a day room at the Sheraton.
A shower & a good meal help, plus I met 1 of my now best friends in the airport there.

LORD, let my bullets go where my crosshairs show.
Not all who wander are lost.
NEVER TRUST A FART!!!
Cecil Leonard

Posts: 2786 | Location: Northeast Louisianna | Registered: 06 October 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Just my opinion, but I think going thru Europe makes jet lag worse, although I have always gone on to the AMS-DAR flight, which leaves a few hours after landing. That long flight to JNB gives you a more time to sleep, and the time of the flight is more conducive to sleeping as well.

Maybe a long layover makes a difference, but I would be concerned about staying awake during the day.

Don't Ever Book a Hunt with Jeff Blair
http://forums.accuratereloadin...821061151#2821061151

Posts: 7573 | Location: Arizona and off grid in CO | Registered: 28 July 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I'm about to take my 3rd trip thru Franfurt. I try to sleep 5 to 6 hours on each long flight. The plus is that you are on the correct time zone in Frankfurt. The flight seems more pleasant than the long trip to JNB.

Posts: 550 | Location: Augusta,GA | Registered: 01 September 2001Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Thank you for your responses. If I was to take SA Airways DC to Joberg to Windhoek with no overnight would I have to mess with my rifle in Joberg still?

I am having some trouble making my mind up here.....any more thoughts? I should probably just call Gracie Travel.

Posts: 15 | Location: San Antonio, Tx. | Registered: 27 August 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've been 4 times. Each time, Houston-Frankfurt on Lufthanas, then Frankfurt-Windhoek on Air Namibia.

No luggage ever lost or delayed. All flights on time.

Go Duke!!

Posts: 1289 | Location: Texas | Registered: 25 January 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of riverman
posted Hide Post
My wife and I made the trip five times last year and we believe that the best route was JFK to Joburg, Joburg to Windhoek. We used SAA and tried to fly on the 6:30 am flight and more often than not it was a freight flight and was very empty so you could lay down. We used Jet blue for the connector to JFK.

Posts: 50 | Location: Irwin, Idaho | Registered: 09 May 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I leave out of LaGuardia or JFK, land at 8 AM in Jo'berg, in plenty of time to catch the 11 AM to Windhoek.

Posts: 20138 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I went Denver-Frankfert-Windoek and I liked it the best. Although when I did RSA to Windhoek SAA or Scare Namibia sometime gave us biltong or droëwors instead of pretzels! I loved that.
Aaron

Posts: 581 | Location: Cheney, KS or Africa Somewhere | Registered: 07 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have been East coast to Joburg twice, and Denver to Frankfurt once. The wife enjoyed the break with a day room in Germany, and then flying all night in the same time zone. Doesn't seem to make a lot of difference to me either way. Going ATL-JNB-WDH on Delta in 4 weeks, and trying the Economy Comfort this time.

Posts: 1517 | Location: Idaho Falls, Idaho | Registered: 03 June 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
We went DC-London-Munich-Windhoek after missing our Joberg flight because of air traffic. Sleeping on the last leg, we arrived in Windhoek without jet lag.
The worst thing was the chow and the cigarette smoke at Heathrow.

There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.
– John Green, author

Posts: 16527 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Great. Thanks a bunch fellas.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I will avoid Joberg if I can. I like the frankfurt route much better. You land early in the morning in Windhoek so if there is a drive to the ranch you are hunting it will be all in the daylight so you can see the scenery. Sometimes from Jobergh you will land in the afternoon which can mean you will arrive in camp after dark. I like to get my bearings with the sun still up. Like bwana said, get a day room at the hotel,, eat nap get a shower and once in Frankfurt you are basically in the same time zone so you can start gettting on the right schedule.I like making 2 10 hour flights better than a 16-18 hour flight then a 3 hour flight,,, my old butt likes it bettter too

you can make more money, you can not make more time

Posts: 786 | Location: Mexia Texas | Registered: 07 July 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Some airline needs to wake up and realize that a long haul jet can always make it to WDH from the Eastern U.S. without stopping to refuel, but making it all the way to JNB (or Capetown) is sometimes dicey. Thus if some enterprising air carrier were to institute a non-stop to WDH with service on to Capetown or JNB, I would think that their load factor would be very good.

Until that happens, going through Europe (most often Frankfurt) is a better route than JNB.

Posts: 13239 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Brain1
posted Hide Post
Stonecreek
There you go trying to make sense again. I agree with you though.

You can borrow money, but you can't borrow time. Don't wait, go now.
Savannah Safaris Namibia
Otjitambi Trails & Safaris
DRSS
NRA
SCI
DSC
TSRA
TMPA

Posts: 1253 | Location: Bridgeport, Tx | Registered: 20 May 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Trans-atlantic steamer--

i would like a state room upper deck port side out

(we can dream can't we?)

SSR

Posts: 6725 | Location: central Texas | Registered: 05 August 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I didn't realize the Windhoek flight was at night. I tell you, that flight to DAR or Arusha is a killer, since you have land in AMS first thing in the morning, then jump on an 8-10 hour flight that lands at night. Tough to stay awake on that flight...

Don't Ever Book a Hunt with Jeff Blair
http://forums.accuratereloadin...821061151#2821061151

Posts: 7573 | Location: Arizona and off grid in CO | Registered: 28 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of tendrams
posted Hide Post
I despise Lufthansa....so I take any route around Frankfurt

quote:
Originally posted by Cross L:
Trans-atlantic steamer--

i would like a state room upper deck port side out.

This would be my top choice as well....NYC to Walvis Bay?