Find
Notify
Tools

375 Lion Bullet
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Wendell Reich
posted
The post by Strapman on Core lokt ammo got me thinking. Since it is a Horandy InterLock, what do you think about that bullet on Lion.

I have always regarded the Core Lokt as a "sub-premium" bullet, but adequate for shooting pigs, rocks and cans. It is not a TSX not an A-Frame, not a Nosler Partition ... but it seems like it would be a good choice on a Lion.

Soft point, quickly expanding bonded core bullet ... isn't that what you are looking for?

Posts: 6255 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: 13 July 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
It worked on my lioness in Chewore North. She was only 15 yards in front of us when I fired at her chest clipping the bottom of her chin. The bullet travelled through her body exiting near her left rear leg. She still managed to take off running another 80 yards before dying.

STAY IN THE FIGHT!

Posts: 1849 | Location: Southern California | Registered: 25 July 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Tim Herald
posted Hide Post
There is also a CoreLokt Ultra that stays together a bit better.

Good Hunting,

Tim Herald
Worldwide Trophy Adventures
tim@trophyadventures.com

Posts: 2980 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: 13 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
HOW ABOUT THE SIERRA 250 OR 300 GAMEKING?

Posts: 2173 | Location: NORTHWEST NEW MEXICO, USA | Registered: 05 March 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Wendell,

I think the 375 270gr. Core-Lokt would work great on lion but there are so many better factory loads out there that would do fine on buffalo and everything else that the Core-Lokt would be my last choice. The SAF or TSX give such consistent results on everything that they would be my choice and allow only one load for the safari.

Mark

MARK H. YOUNG
MARK'S EXCLUSIVE ADVENTURES
7094 Oakleigh Dr. Las Vegas, NV 89110
Office 702-848-1693
Cell, Whats App, Signal 307-250-1156 PREFERRED
E-mail markttc@msn.com
Check us out on https://www.facebook.com/pages...ures/627027353990716

Posts: 12875 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Andy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Soft point, quickly expanding bonded core bullet ... isn't that what you are looking for?

Wendall,

The Core Lokt is not a bonded bullet.

Remington now offers a bonded Core Lokt, which has according to their press release, a thicker jacket than the original.

(I just bought some in 223).

The Hornady Spire Point delays expansion compared to the semi spitzer Core Lokt in 375, and has alot more jacket thickness than the Core Lokt.

Even that bullet gets pretty well torn up on easy shots on bison.

If you are looking for a high expansion lion load, the bonded Kodiak has alot of frontal area and a better jacket design than the Woodleigh which would also work well.

Andy

Posts: 1278 | Location: Oregon | Registered: 16 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ChetNC
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Andy:

The Hornady Spire Point delays expansion compared to the semi spitzer Core Lokt in 375, and has alot more jacket thickness than the Core Lokt.

Andy

Just to clarify then: Hornady makes the .375 270 grain CoreLokt for Remington but Hornday's own .375 270 grain SP-RP is a different bullet. Is that correct?

I have yet to launch one of my Hornady's at game but I'll be plum broken hearted if the bullet that gives me sub MOA groups at 100 and 200 yards doesn't have terminal ballistics to match for PG. Hornady had told me previously that their SP-RP had 85% weight retention with in .375

Chet

Posts: 348 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: 03 April 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
There are so many better bullets...compared to the cost of the hunt, why economise on ammo??

Also, you will probably have to shoot some bait (unless it is a canned hunt or one in a tribal area where you can buy donkeys), and bait often comes in the form of eland, giraffe, or hippo, all of which the .375 is great for- but not with inferior bullets!

Posts: 3026 | Location: Zimbabwe | Registered: 23 July 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of OldHandgunHunter
posted Hide Post
I've only harvested one Lion -- but for the one, I used a 375 Nosler Accubond -- and it worked perfectly as it does on almost everything.

I did shoot it out of a hand cannon rather than a rifle, but that really doesn't matter much at the terminal end of the transaction.

When you get bored with life, start hunting dangerous game with a handgun.

Posts: 495 | Location: Florida | Registered: 17 February 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Wendell Reich
posted Hide Post
I have always considered TSX (or old Barnes X) or Swift A Frame for all DG hunts, never considered anything less.

Just curious if the rapid expansion of the InterLok would be prefered on a Lion?

Anyway ... what would AR be if we didn't argue the little stuff? Smiler

Posts: 6255 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: 13 July 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I took a very large male with a Swift A-Frame. Two insurance shots at 70 yards. DOA

Dutch

one of us
Picture of Spring
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Dutch44:
I took a very large male with a Swift A-Frame. Two insurance shots at 70 yards. DOA

Dutch

Same with my lion...Swift-A-Frames rolled him over. I wouldn't go with a bullet that wasn't top quality for the buff and other creatures you'll also be after on a lion hunt.

Posts: 1445 | Location: Bronwood, GA | Registered: 10 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I would use a Trophy Bonded Bear Claw or a Nosler Partition for a lion. I have seen TBBC bullets used on lion and they were very effective. I have some 416 Rigbys loaded with Partitions for lion. Unfortunately the lion never gave us a chance to see how they would work. Frowner

Posts: 3073 | Location: Pittsburgh, PA | Registered: 11 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of JBrown
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Wendell Reich:

Just curious if the rapid expansion of the InterLok would be preferential on a Lion?

Anyway ... what would AR be if we didn't argue the little stuff? Smiler

That was my thought when I used the 300 gr RN interlok on my lion.

I had loaded 300 gr Noslers and 300 gr Woodleigh FMJs for buffalo and elephant. The round nose interlok shot to the same POI, so it became my lion bullet. My first shot(broadside) exited and left a huge hole. My second shot was into the chest and the bullet broke up badly, shearing off at the crimp.

If I had it to do over I would use a 300 gr Nosler Partition.

Jason

"You're not hard-core, unless you live hard-core."

Hunting in Africa is an adventure. The number of variables involved preclude the possibility of a perfect hunt. Some problems will arise. How you decide to handle them will determine how much you enjoy your hunt.

Just tell yourself, "it's all part of the adventure." Remember, if Robert Ruark had gotten upset every time problems with Harry
Selby's flat bed truck delayed the safari, Horn of the Hunter would have read like an indictment of Selby. But Ruark rolled with the punches, poured some gin, and enjoyed the adventure.

-Jason Brown

Posts: 6834 | Location: Nome, Alaska(formerly SW Wyoming) | Registered: 22 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
When I first came to Alaska (a long time ago) I was too poor to reload and would just buy Remington Core-Lokt for all my hunting. I shot quite a few bears (some big ones) with those bullets and it killed each one. In those days the only rifle I had was a Winny 300 WM, but I never felt undergunned with that and my 180 gr. core-lokts.
Now I typically carry 375 and up with NP's or X's (unless I'm mountain hunting - 300 WM still).
This little story aside, I believe the core-lokt would work just fine on lions as long as nothing goes wrong with the shot. They are thinner and less muscled than big bears and I believe that CL will do just what the NP and X would do and thats drive all the way through a lion, again under normal circumstances.
Now the other side of the coin.
I shot a lion in Zim back in 2004 with a 375 and NP bullet. It was right at dark and I shot (65 yds) through a 4 inch tree (I never saw it in the scope) that was 3 feet in front of the cat. The bullet expanded and deflected back. The entrance hole on the cat was about 1" in dia. and the bullet lodged in the liver. After a hair raising (his brothers wouldn't leave him), flash lights (totally dark) in thick cover follow up, we found him dead. I'm glad I wasn't shooting a Core-Lokt that time.
The moral - if you can afford lion, shot premium bullets.

Posts: 439 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 11 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of retreever
posted Hide Post
Will be using the interloc Hornady's on my lion hunt in August...

Mike

Michael Podwika... DRSS bigbores and hunting www.pvt.co.za " MAKE THE SHOT " 450#2 Famars

Posts: 6767 | Location: Wyoming, Pa. USA | Registered: 17 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Andy
posted Hide Post
Chet,

Yes, the Hornady spire point is a completely different, and somewhat better bullet than the Remington Core Lokt in 375.

The core locked is core locked in name only.

Great advertising.

Lousy bullet unless you are hunting deer sized game.

Andy

Picture of Harry Selby
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Wendell Reich:
The post by Strapman on Core lokt ammo got me thinking. Since it is a Horandy InterLock, what do you think about that bullet on Lion.

I have always regarded the Core Lokt as a "sub-premium" bullet, but adequate for shooting pigs, rocks and cans. It is not a TSX not an A-Frame, not a Nosler Partition ... but it seems like it would be a good choice on a Lion.

One does not really need a bullet that will penetrate deeply and hold together well on lion unless he is wounded and is going in the opposite direction. What you really do need is a bullet that will open up well and cause the most damage as is the case with the petals of the TBBC bullet. I once hit a wounded lion bounding
in the opposite direction in the back of the neck with a 400 gr .416 TBBC. The bullet lodged under the skin on its forehead and when examined the petals measured one and a quarter inches across. I highly recommend the TBBC for lion and the larger antelope in .375 Mag.

Posts: 13 | Location: Maun, Botswana | Registered: 09 June 2009Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
I am afriad I do not subscribe to the theory of having "soft" bullets for lion.

And Most cetianly I would NOT use A-Square Lion load for him either.

All the lions I have shot were either with Trophy Bonded Bear Claw and Barnes X.

All of them died either on the spot or within a few yards from where they were shot.

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 67008 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
On the one lioness I have taken I used an Accubond bullet. I shot the lioness at about 15 yards and she has on top on a dry river bank and I was below her. Shot her in the front chest as she was facing me and she dropped right where I shot her.

Good Hunting,

Posts: 3143 | Location: Duluth, GA | Registered: 30 September 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of shakari
posted Hide Post
The problem with bullet choice is that it's all just sooo personal and based on individual experiences.

Here we have two very respected hunters who like the TBBC, yet I dislike them intensely because I've seen so many of them fail at different times and from my experiences, they're only good for fishing weights. On the other hand, unlike many people, I like winchester silvertips (when hand loaded to the correct velocity).

To confuse matters even more, like Saeed, I'm not a fan of the A Square lion load either.

As to hard or soft, I personally think a lot of that depends to a large extent on calibre and speed.

Ah well, guess I'll have to stick to my Woodleigh SP, PSP and GSC MS and let everyone else form their own likes and dislikes. Wink

one of us
Picture of SBT
posted Hide Post
When hit with a 400 grain TSX bullet out of my 416 Rigby, my lion began to loudly complain about being shot with a premium bullet. I gave him another and he changed his mind, complaining no more.

"There are worse memorials to a life well-lived than a pair of elephant tusks." Robert Ruark

Posts: 4779 | Location: Story, WY / San Carlos, Sonora, MX | Registered: 29 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BrettAKSCI
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SBT:
When hit with a 400 grain TSX bullet out of my 416 Rigby, my lion began to loudly complain about being shot with a premium bullet. I gave him another and he changed his mind, complaining no more.

That's nice of you to reason with him.

Brett

DRSS
Life Member SCI
Life Member NRA
Life Member WSF

Rhyme of the Sheep Hunter
May fordings never be too deep, And alders not too thick; May rock slides never be too steep And ridges not too slick.
And may your bullets shoot as swell As Fred Bear's arrow's flew; And may your nose work just as well As Jack O'Connor's too.
May winds be never at your tail When stalking down the steep; May bears be never on your trail When packing out your sheep.
May the hundred pounds upon you Not make you break or trip; And may the plane in which you flew Await you at the strip.
-Seth Peterson

Posts: 4551 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 21 February 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Andy
posted Hide Post
In my experience from the early 1980's, the 270 gr 375 Remington factory ammo was going 2640 fps, and retained 136 grains weight, going 21 inches penetration. 0.344 square inch frontal area.

270 grain Hornady spire point interlock, 2700 fps, 22 inches penetration, .506 frontal area, 163 gr retained weight.

270 grain Winchester power point, 2717 fps, 23 inches penetration, 0.459 sq inch frontal area, 203 gr retained weight.

300 grain (new style) silver tip, 2575 fps, 23 inches penetration, 0.456 frontal area, 201 gr retained weight. (Entirely different bullet than old ST from 1950's Kenya days).

The two winchester products are good to go even by todays standards.

The Remington is not.

Andy