THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AFRICAN HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  African Big Game Hunting    BACK FROM THE BUSH DAILY PICTURE/STORIES UPDATES
Page 1 2 

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

BACK FROM THE BUSH DAILY PICTURE/STORIES UPDATES
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Jorge,

Great Bull, Congratulations!

I need to hear your pointers on getting your wife interested in going to Africa. If only I was that good a salesman! I look forward to seeing pics of your other trophies. Hugh

Posts: 435 | Location: GA, USA | Registered: 14 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Palmer
posted Hide Post
Great trip. We look forward to hearing more.

ALLEN W. JOHNSON - DRSS

Into my heart on air that kills
From yon far country blows:
What are those blue remembered hills,
What spires, what farms are those?
That is the land of lost content,
I see it shining plain,
The happy highways where I went
And cannot come again.

A. E. Housman

Posts: 2251 | Location: Mo, USA | Registered: 21 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Alan in NC
posted Hide Post
Jorge: Welcome Home. I knew you would have a great trip. Nice Buff! I can't wait for more details and more pictures. I'm sure you are nursing a good case of cramps and fatigue after that trip in the Air Bust. I'm glad you had a safe trip. Alan.

Posts: 120 | Location: Winston-Salem, NC USA | Registered: 24 June 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jorge
posted Hide Post
Folks, thanks for all the nice comments. I thought instead of opening up another thread, I'd just keep this one going with the rest of the pics and stories as I took the animals. The next is my warthog which I am particularly happy with. He was an OLD warrior, with long, thick tusks, albeit one was broken. He was ...let's say busy with one of the hog-ettes, so after he finished his task, he saw us and started to trot off, slightly quartering way. We were in a measured two-hectare field, so the shot was almost exactly 200 yards with him moving right to left. I placed the X hairs right about his snoot and the 180gr Nosler Partition enterd right behind the shoulder and exited through the center of his chest. Rahter large exit hole, but I was very happy with the shot and the old boy too! jorge

USN (ret)
DRSS Verney-Carron 450NE
Cogswell & Harrison 375 Fl NE
Sabatti Big Five 375 FL Magnum NE
DSC Life Member
NRA Life Member

Posts: 7149 | Location: Orange Park, Florida. USA | Registered: 22 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill C
posted Hide Post
Great stuff Jorge - congratulations! thumb

Did you hunt Dande North for all game (including that monster warthog), or did you go to John's plainsgame concession after the buffalo? Were you able to spend any time out on the river fishing? If so, how was it this time of year? Thanks!!!

Posts: 3153 | Location: PA | Registered: 02 August 2002Reply With Quote
Picture of Canuck
posted Hide Post
Nice work, Jorge! Congratulations!

Cheers,
Canuck

Posts: 7122 | Location: The Rock (southern V.I.) | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
<mikeh416Rigby>
posted
jorge, well done! clap

One of Us
posted Hide Post
A good trophy justly spoored up and all that rot. Isnt it great following the big boys day after day and when you chance comes you do it right. Also a good report for John and Zimbabwe.

One of Us
Picture of jorge
posted Hide Post
BillC: Hunted Dande North just for the buff. I shot the wartie dwon in Malangani. I didn't get to fish the dam, but I did shoot my bushbuck there from the water side using a bass boat and the electric drive. We'd been trying to get this guy for about a week to no avail. He finally gave us about an 80 yard shot. jorge

USN (ret)
DRSS Verney-Carron 450NE
DSC Life Member
NRA Life Member

Posts: 7149 | Location: Orange Park, Florida. USA | Registered: 22 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
jorge
Congrats on your trip, I can hardly wait to book with John again. Is Quinn the learner PH you mentioned?
Bobga

Posts: 201 | Location: Georgia | Registered: 21 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jorge
posted Hide Post
Bob: Yes it was Quinn, aka "Spanner." He's the one that took the photo and also told me the great story behind your huge kudu. Looking at 08 for a "return engegement" Smiler jorge

USN (ret)
DRSS Verney-Carron 450NE
DSC Life Member
NRA Life Member

One of Us
Picture of jorge
posted Hide Post
Ok folks, another picture for your enjoymnet. This "ok" ( 23") impala was taken becasue he nmatches my previous one pretty close and I wanted him to "balance out" my trophy room. Took the shot "weaving" it through lots of scrub mopane at about 80+ yards. Bullet went in just in front of the shoulder and exited in front of the rear ham as he was quartering towards me. He ran about 20 yards and collapsed.

As an aside, it was almost a duplicate shot of my other impala that I also shot with my 300 Weatherby only that one I used Hornadys and that bullet was recovered in the off ham, but the impala fell stome dead. I mentioned this on my hunting report, but it appears the Hornadys drop lighter game quicker than Partitions. Still, I would not deviate from using Partitions. jorge

USN (ret)
DRSS Verney-Carron 450NE
DSC Life Member
NRA Life Member

One of Us
Picture of retreever
posted Hide Post
George great looking animals...Now rest up recover and prepare for the next safari...

Mike

Michael Podwika... DRSS bigbores and hunting www.pvt.co.za " MAKE THE SHOT " 450#2 Famars

Posts: 6768 | Location: Wyoming, Pa. USA | Registered: 17 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Don_G
posted Hide Post
Congrats, Jorge!

I hear your message on the buff and will be getting in better shape so the miles pass more pleasantly!

Canuck, start getting in shape or I'll walk your legs off next Fall!

Don_G

...from Texas, by way of Mason, Ohio and Aurora, Colorado!

Posts: 1645 | Location: Elizabeth, Colorado | Registered: 13 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Jorge,

Thanks for the additional details. Sounds like a unique way to bag a bushbuck!!! I spent a little time in that bass boat with John - even saw a couple bushbuck -but we were fishing!!!

Nice report and great photos.

Phil

Posts: 535 | Location: Mississippi | Registered: 17 December 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Jorge

Great Hunt and great pics.

And good on you to be physicaly fit enough to keep up that kind of pace for days on end thumb

When the "troubles" started in Zim, You had just left and you were on our minds. What did you see and what's your assessment of that situation.

Elmo

Posts: 586 | Location: paloma,ca | Registered: 20 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jorge
posted Hide Post
Elmo: thanks for the thoughts. The situation in Zim did not affect my safari at all. Yes the situation is grave,there were long lines for fuel all over Bulawayo, often times it takes two weeks inline to get a tank of gas, but John Sharp has the fuel situation sorted out so we moved freely about town. Went to a few restaturants in town with great food. One of them called "sisters" is owned by two BABES that was worth the trip and had my wife "hissing" at teh girls Smiler.

Basically, Mugabe's punishing the people because of the election that he knows he lost, so his strategy is to beat them back into the bush and out of the cities. He has enough money coming in for him and his chronies, but this can't go on forever. I felt quite safe there. jorge

USN (ret)
DRSS Verney-Carron 450NE
DSC Life Member
NRA Life Member

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Jorge!

Your trophies would have been twice as big if you had taken your 300 H&H. roflmao

465H&H

Posts: 5686 | Location: Nampa, Idaho | Registered: 10 February 2005Reply With Quote
<allen day>
posted
Jorge, you have taken some really fine animals, and your bushbuck is not only a good trophy, but you made a great trophy HUNT out of him as well, one you'll never forget! Your bushbuck hunt, as you describe it, it classic John Sharp. He can take a difficult situation, come up with an innovative, practical solution that sounds like a stretch, then turn it into pure gold as well as anyone I know.

Your warthog is fantastic, very similar to "Billy The Pig" (so named by Sharp and his apprentice PH), the Malangani warthog I took with John back in 2000. GOOD warthog genetics there!

AKA, all of my buffalo have been taken with PH Mark Sullivan in Tanzania. I'm hunting buffalo in the Selous this season with Sullivan as well..........

AD

one of us
posted Hide Post
Jorge

Nice job! Glad you had a good experience. I'm quite envious of the bushpig. I can't get one to save my butt.

Regards,

Mark

MARK H. YOUNG
MARK'S EXCLUSIVE ADVENTURES
7094 Oakleigh Dr. Las Vegas, NV 89110
Office 702-848-1693
Cell, Whats App, Signal 307-250-1156 PREFERRED
E-mail markttc@msn.com
Check us out on https://www.facebook.com/pages...ures/627027353990716

Posts: 13008 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote
Picture of Canuck
posted Hide Post
quote:
Canuck, start getting in shape or I'll walk your legs off next Fall!

Big Grin

Actually, you are right....all this office work is taking a toll on me.

Cheers,
Canuck

Posts: 7122 | Location: The Rock (southern V.I.) | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Nevster
posted Hide Post
great photos, good to hear you had a good time and that hunters are not being affected by the problems in zim at the moment.

Posts: 168 | Location: London,UK | Registered: 10 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jorge
posted Hide Post
Allen: I took the wartie with John's apprentice PH, Quinn, also known as "spanner" given his "McGyver-like" qualities to fix stuff. What makes him particularly gratifying is that I insisted he was a good one even though one tusk is partially broken. The bushbuck was a really neat hunt, drifting about the reeds on Malangani lake and seeing all kinds of animals including many bushpigs. Mark, John's place is FULL of bushpigs. Saw them every day and in broad daylight. Allen, I'll try and repeat my call today.jorge

USN (ret)
DRSS Verney-Carron 450NE
DSC Life Member
NRA Life Member

one of us
Picture of BigBullet
posted Hide Post
Jorge,

Looks like you had a great safari! Really love that bushbuck and buffalo. Congratulations.

BigBullet

BigBullet

"Half the FUN of the travel is the esthetic of LOSTNESS" Ray Bradbury
https://www.facebook.com/Natal...443607135825/?ref=hl

Posts: 1224 | Location: Lorraine, NY New York's little piece of frozen tundra | Registered: 05 July 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jorge
posted Hide Post
Here's the last story, Just got the photo. Anyhow, the Malangani Conservancy where John Sharp hunts is loaded with bushpigs. As an avid hog hunter, I'm here to tell you these animals are just plain fun to hunt. They like to hang out in the thick forests of reeds that surround the Malangani Dam complex and have become very adept at sneaking out into small little "private" beaches along the lake where they are free to root and goof off.

Like our hogs they have poor eyesight but excellent smell and hearing and the very wisp of human scent wafting through the reeds sends them boiling through the weeds like one huge "oinker-explosion."

We had been actually hunting bushbuck all aternoonwhen a sudden wind shift spolied our stalk and a big boar flushed my way, jsut long enough for me to vent my frustration on him via a 180gr Nosler Partition through the shoulder as he was quarterng towards me. He ran about 10 teps and just folded. Hopefully I'll have the photo up soon. Oh yes, you might notice the bridge of my nose and my hand are a bit um.. red. Well, I have a Zeiss scope on the Weatherby and it lacks the eye releif of a Leupold and guess what? yep wouldn't have happened with a Leupie! jorge

USN (ret)
DRSS Verney-Carron 450NE
DSC Life Member
NRA Life Member

one of us
Picture of Widowmaker416
posted Hide Post
jorge

I know what your saying about the "fun" in hunting the "oinkers!"

I've taken 6 so far, (noticed I said so far). 3 of the 6 were on Bushbuck walks, down in the thick stuff along the rivers, and 1 I got walking into a Leopard bait in the early morning. He had been eating "my" Impala with a few friends and fell fast asleep not far from the bait, I saw his red back as we approached the site, he never woke up!

I've shot all mine in the day light hours. What fun!!!!!!

looking forward to seeing your "oinker!"

"America's Meat - - - SPAM"

As always, Good Hunting!!!

Widowmaker416

Posts: 1782 | Location: New Jersey USA | Registered: 12 July 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Charles_Helm
posted Hide Post
quote:
Looking for a volunteer that can post the picture for me.

I can post it for you if you email it to me. My email address is in my profile.

Looking forward to the picture.

Posts: 8773 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jorge
posted Hide Post
Thanks Charles but my sister-in-law finally got off her duff and posted the pic on our site so I could transfer it to here. enjoy. jorge

USN (ret)
DRSS Verney-Carron 450NE
DSC Life Member
NRA Life Member

one of us
Picture of Charles_Helm
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jorge:
Thanks Charles but my sister-in-law finally got off her duff and posted the pic on our site so I could transfer it to here. enjoy. jorge

That'll work.

Edited to add:

Congratulations on a nice pig, sorry about the scope bite.

Posts: 8773 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Jorge,

That is one collard green eatin' warthog! Congratulations on a great shot and a great trophy! Hugh

Posts: 435 | Location: GA, USA | Registered: 14 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of retreever
posted Hide Post
Jorge, I got the scope also...last year...Mike

Michael Podwika... DRSS bigbores and hunting www.pvt.co.za " MAKE THE SHOT " 450#2 Famars

Posts: 6768 | Location: Wyoming, Pa. USA | Registered: 17 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Widowmaker416
posted Hide Post
Jorge,

That's a nice old bushpig you got there! great going!!!!

"America's Meat - - - SPAM"

As always, Good Hunting!!!

Widowmaker416

Posts: 1782 | Location: New Jersey USA | Registered: 12 July 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Jorge,

Nice pig!!

Thanks for the photos and stories.

Phil

Posts: 535 | Location: Mississippi | Registered: 17 December 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Doc
posted Hide Post
Jorge,

I am very impressed and very happy for you. Those are all great game animals and excellent stories. Sounds like you had quite the experience. I'm sure you are very pleased.

I know I would be. Congratulations to you.

Excellent work.

Ted Kennedy's car has killed more people than my guns