THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AFRICAN HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  African Big Game Hunting    BACK FROM THE BUSH DAILY PICTURE/STORIES UPDATES
Page 1 2 

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

BACK FROM THE BUSH DAILY PICTURE/STORIES UPDATES
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of jorge
posted
Had a superb time again with John Sharp. Did some of the hardest hunting I've ever done and managed a great buffalo on the fifth day after a 6 mile stalk. Terry, if you read this, I'd like to send you the image of my buffalo and other animals to post. I'll have lots to tell, many lessons learned to pass on, especially AVOID South African Airways and that POS Airbus seating, slow apeed and short range.coupled with their surly, "I don't owe you people anything attitude," made the trip there and back a true nightmare.

Also bagged a great bushbuck, warthog, bushpig and impala, but the BEST part of the trip was my wife saying "so when do we go back!" Allen, you were right once again, "break bone" and it's downhill from there! Back tomorrow with lots more, jorge

USN (ret)
DRSS Verney-Carron 450NE
Cogswell & Harrison 375 Fl NE
Sabatti Big Five 375 FL Magnum NE
DSC Life Member
NRA Life Member

Posts: 7149 | Location: Orange Park, Florida. USA | Registered: 22 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Widowmaker416
posted Hide Post
jorge!

Welcome back! Glad you did well on your safari, Bushbuck & Bushpig, excellent!!! Hated to hear about your trip over! Go SAA!!!! thumbdown

Look forward to the pics and the whole story!!!!! clap

"America's Meat - - - SPAM"

As always, Good Hunting!!!

Widowmaker416

Posts: 1782 | Location: New Jersey USA | Registered: 12 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Aspen Hill Adventures
posted Hide Post
Looking forward to photos and the details!

~Ann

Posts: 19545 | Location: The LOST Nation | Registered: 27 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Jorge,
Welcome back and sounds like you had a great hunt. Can't wait for the details and pics! Terry may be in Zim right now with HHK.

Interested in your impression (maybe John Sharp's take on it too) of the Zim situation.

Posts: 1508 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 09 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Jorge:

Welcome back. Looking forward to pic's and the full report on the hunt and conditions in Zim from someone who has just been there.

RCG

Posts: 1132 | Location: Land of Lincoln | Registered: 15 June 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Congratualtions on a great hunt. I'm looking forward to seeing the pictures and report.

"Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life." Terry Pratchett.

Posts: 3517 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: 25 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ForrestB
posted Hide Post
Welcome home. Post the details when you can.

Posts: 5052 | Location: Muletown | Registered: 07 September 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of retreever
posted Hide Post
Welcome back glad to hear you had a great hunt...Now that your other half is bitten by that Africa bug, sure makes the future brighter...

Mike beer

Michael Podwika... DRSS bigbores and hunting www.pvt.co.za " MAKE THE SHOT " 450#2 Famars

Posts: 6768 | Location: Wyoming, Pa. USA | Registered: 17 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Jorge

Welcome back sir!

Can't wait to hear about your trip.

And I can confirm that SAA and the Airbus in particular SUCK!!!

I posted on hear about a year ago about how much slower an A-340 is vs a Boeing. It's true the Airbus 340 is a PIG with a tiny little max density cabin and a truely attrocious seat configuration for a max range over water airplane.

Anyway enough about that crap lets hear about the hunt.. beer

one of us
posted Hide Post
Welcome back Jorge!!!

Looking forward to the photos and stories.

Phil

Posts: 535 | Location: Mississippi | Registered: 17 December 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Welcome back jorge: We all hope you had a safe trip and it sounds like you had an excellent hunt...we are looking forward to your photos and a detailed account of the hunt. Good work thumb.

Robert Jobson

Posts: 669 | Location: Alaska, USA | Registered: 26 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Perforator
posted Hide Post
Congrats on a memorable hunt. Give us the details as soons as possible.

Congressional power is like a toddler with a hammer. There is no limit to the damage that can be done before it is taken away from them.

Posts: 399 | Location: Louisiana | Registered: 19 February 2004Reply With Quote
<allen day>
posted
Jorge, welcome back. I can't wait to hear the details of your hunt especially about your buffalo. It sounds like your earned him fair and square! Smiler

AD

One of Us
Picture of Michael Robinson
posted Hide Post
Glad to hear you were successful, especially on the buff.

Also glad to hear you survived that medieval torture device that SAA calls the Airbus A340.

Looking forward to your photographs and details.

Mike

Wilderness is my cathedral, and hunting is my prayer.

Posts: 13613 | Location: New England | Registered: 06 June 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Jorge,

Glad you had a great trip. I agree with your assesment of the SAA airbus. Congrats on the buffalo; I trust your warthog and other animals were fine as well. Warthogs are cool. Few animals inspire derision as they do.

Keith

Posts: 87 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 20 March 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jorge
posted Hide Post
Thanks for all the great words,folks. ok, here's the first picture of the buffalo. I'll have better ones soon, hopefully with bullet holes, etc. The shot was arguably the best I've ever done, considering the time and money spent. 125 yards with a 416 Ruger-Rigby and 400 gr Swift A-Frames. Anybody that says buff hunting is easy is nuts. We spent four ardous days, usually about 8-10 miles, tracking small bunches of Dagga Boys, which according to my PH John Sharp, yield better trophies. By day five we were all pretty tired, so we went after a 60 plus herd, over rather difficult steep hilly terrain that I was not expecting. After about 6 miles or so, the tail-end-charlie bull gave us the ONLY opportunity and John asked me if I was comfortable with it. Well folks, training DOES pay and I was able to place a bullet about 1/3 up the shoulder centerline (I was amazed as to how similar it was to flying as far as my thought process and ability to calmy focus went, I even remember thinking what Allen Day said; "break bone".) I saw the bullet hit and KNEW it was good. John's smile helped too! Anyhow, the rest of the herd went off and we found our bull standing about 60 yards away. I gave him another one, a bit high, as I was trying to find the spine, but he just stood there. He turned and looked at us so I hit him again with a Hornady FMJ and he went down with the classic below. Two more insurance shots later ( hell, like I told John I had plenty of bullets!) and he was through. Unfortunately, I did not recover any bullets, the IDIOTS at the skinning shed forgot to dig them out, but the solids were pass-throughs anyway. He was shot right through the heart, you could SEE the stream of blood pumping. Also, John's apprentice PH managed to get the whole thing on video, so eventually, I'll be able to share that with you as well. Anyhow here he is. More to follow. BTW, the situation is Zimbabwe, aside from the obvious fuel shortage, was transparent to me. Without getting into a political discourse on the benefits of colonialism, There is NO DOUBT, Zimbabwe ws better off when Ian Smith ran the place and South Africa is rapidly headed in that direction. If you guys want more specifics, pls email or call. jorge

USN (ret)
DRSS Verney-Carron 450NE
DSC Life Member
NRA Life Member

Posts: 7149 | Location: Orange Park, Florida. USA | Registered: 22 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Good Work Jorge.

Posts: 7158 | Location: Snake River | Registered: 02 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Jorge, Welcome back. I'm glad everything went well with you. I look forward to hear more details and your tips.

Posts: 297 | Location: california | Registered: 20 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of retreever
posted Hide Post
Jorge,

Way to go making the shot...Nice buff...We look forward to the rest of the and stories..

Mike

Michael Podwika... DRSS bigbores and hunting www.pvt.co.za " MAKE THE SHOT " 450#2 Famars

Posts: 6768 | Location: Wyoming, Pa. USA | Registered: 17 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Muletrain
posted Hide Post
Well done Jorge! Very nice picture and story. Welcome back.

Elephant Hunter,
Double Rifle Shooter Society,
NRA Lifetime Member,
Ten Safaris, in RSA, Namibia, Zimbabwe

Posts: 955 | Location: Houston, Texas, USA | Registered: 13 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Sounds like you had a tremendous hunt. Great Buffalo! Can't wait for the other pictures.

Mike

Posts: 1878 | Location: Prairieville,Louisiana, USA | Registered: 09 October 2001Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Hearty Congratulations, Jorge.
You earned him! thumb

Posts: 11017 | Registered: 14 December 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Jorge...

Glad you had a good trip. Look forward to more photos when you have the time.

Posts: 733 | Location: N. Illinois | Registered: 21 July 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Lorenzo
posted Hide Post
Well done Jorge !!!!
Please post more pictures for us.

L

Posts: 3085 | Location: Uruguay - South America | Registered: 10 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Jorge. Interesting that your shot was so long (relatively speaking). If you had a double, what would you have done? taken the shot, tried to get closer?
Peter.

Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong;

Posts: 10515 | Location: Jacksonville, Florida | Registered: 09 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jorge
posted Hide Post
Peter: In answer to your question, I've only shot a double once and personally, I would not have felt comfortable making that shot with a double. If you look at the picture closely, you can see the first bullet hole right on the shoulder, about 1/3 of the way up. jorge

USN (ret)
DRSS Verney-Carron 450NE
DSC Life Member
NRA Life Member

one of us
posted Hide Post
Jorge..did you leave me a big buff?

One of Us
Picture of jorge
posted Hide Post
Steve: give me a call at home today after 3pm my time. LOTS to tell you! you will have a GREAT TIME. We're already looking at 08 for return engagement. the wife's HOOKED! Smiler jorge

USN (ret)
DRSS Verney-Carron 450NE
DSC Life Member
NRA Life Member

one of us
posted Hide Post
Jorge..Will do..I cant wait to talk to you thanks

one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Peter:
Jorge. Interesting that your shot was so long (relatively speaking). If you had a double, what would you have done? taken the shot, tried to get closer?
Peter.

First let me congratulate Jorge on his very successful hunt, and give my sympathy for his ride on that flying coffin AIRBUS! Cool

Peter, I don't presume to answer for Jorge, but my answer to that question is, why would a 125 yd shot worry anyone with a double rifle, more than any other rifle with iron sights? Confused I find it strange, that anyone would attempt to hunt dangerous game without knowing how to shoot his rifle well enough, no matter the type, for a 125 yds shot, at a standing animal. I would get closer, if it were posible, no matter the rifle. If it wasn't posible, then the 125 yd is not a problem, just not as much fun, as up close, on buffalo. Wink

Enough of this! Jorge I see you used a real rifle for you Buff, a CRF 416 Rigby! Good show old boy! beer

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hell Yes!

Great job Jorge!

Glad you are back and OK!

Jeff

<allen day>
posted
Jorge, great work, nice buff, nice photo!

John ALWAYS delivers a real hunt, doesn't he?!

Give me a call when you can........

AD

One of Us
Picture of trapntrav
posted Hide Post
Good job Big Grin How are you going to have him mounted?

Posts: 256 | Location: Fort Nelson, BC, Canada | Registered: 04 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Allen, Did you use John Sharp on a buff hunt?

One of Us
Picture of Michael Robinson
posted Hide Post
Bravo! Congrats!

Mike

Wilderness is my cathedral, and hunting is my prayer.

Posts: 13613 | Location: New England | Registered: 06 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Way to go jorge! It pleases me greatly to see a hunter return from Africa with a report of a good hunt.

465H&H

Posts: 5686 | Location: Nampa, Idaho | Registered: 10 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jorge
posted Hide Post
CRF, the ONLY way to fly when hunting DG! Plan to have a shoulder mount done, sort of half right facing. Allen, I'll call today. jorge

USN (ret)
DRSS Verney-Carron 450NE
DSC Life Member
NRA Life Member

One of Us
Picture of Steve
posted Hide Post
Good job Jorge!

-Steve

--------

www.zonedar.com

If you can't be a good example, be a horrible warning
DRSS C&H 475 NE
--------

Posts: 2781 | Location: Hillsboro, Or-Y-Gun (Oregon), U.S.A. | Registered: 22 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Congratulations, and welcome back, Jorge. Nice Buff!

THE LUCKIEST HUNTER ALIVE!

Posts: 853 | Location: St. Thomas, Pennsylvania, USA | Registered: 08 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of almostacowboy
posted Hide Post
I am soooooo envious! clap
Good show!
Is it September yet?

DAve

"What we obtain too cheap, we esteem too lightly: it is dearness only that gives every thing its value."
-Thomas Paine, "American Crisis"

Posts: 816 | Location: Llano, CA Mojave Desert | Registered: 30 April 2005Reply With Quote