New
Find
Notify
Tools

Best mounts (trophy mounts...)
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
The leopard pictures got me thinking of which animals turn out best after a trip to the taxidermist. Some species are so difficult to get just right...
So if you could only have a few mounts in all, which would you pick? What is A- most beautiful mount & B- the one that says 'Africa'!
For me it would probably be A)kudu/impala and B)warthog/blk wildebeest

Posts: 2359 | Location: London | Registered: 31 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Boghossian,

What to keep...what to give up? That's a tough one. My 54" S. greater kudu stays. Also, the mt. nyala and S. roan. The white eared kob and S. gerenuk stay too. Maybe it would be easier just to list what goes.

Rich Elliott

Posts: 2013 | Location: Crossville, IL 62827 USA | Registered: 07 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I'd have to keep my full mount of my antbear ... Only one on the block as it is ....

Posts: 168 | Location: The Great White North | Registered: 24 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The kudu is most Africa and the imapla is the prettiest. The rest I have as skull mounts (the duiker looks abolutely devilish) but this years crop will be shoulder mounted -bushbuck and gemsbuck.

Do you name your trophies? The kudu is "Arthur" and the impala is known as "Eskil" (an ols Swedish name). Only trophies with eyes and skin get names!

Posts: 2213 | Location: Finland | Registered: 02 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of hhmag
posted Hide Post
I like this one best. It says Africa pretty loud to me.

But I love a good kudu as well, here's a buddies

Posts: 395 | Location: Florida's Fabulous East Coast | Registered: 26 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I named my aoudad after my wife's ex-husband, and my mule deer after her old boy friend. My step-daughters got a kick out of that. To be honest if I wanted to mount the aoudad properly to represent their dad, all would agree I would have to mount the other end of the aoudad.

Posts: 13782 | Location: Texas | Registered: 10 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
That kudu looks like it was shot during the rut, with a muscled up neck, great!
The nyala is really lifelike, I couldn't have a mount like that, it reminds me of the moment when the animal is heart shot!

Posts: 2359 | Location: London | Registered: 31 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The Cape Buff is first. Talk about saying Africa! It dominates my house and if I could only keep one mount, of any kind, that would be it. As others, I sure like my Kudu. I also have a Euro mount of a Kudu that looks awfully good, which is leading to my Sable. The mount looks real good and I don't think it would look real nice as a Euro, so, if it came to Kudu or Sable, reckon I'd hold the Sable and Euro the Kudu. I don't have but am very anxious to add a Nyala, hopefully in a month (the mount will be awhile longer, of course).

Posts: 747 | Location: Nevada, USA | Registered: 22 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
cewe:

I shot impala for several weeks as camp meat. One of them was trophy value as my PH said. I shrugged it off because I already had a buff that my PH said would be in the Safari Club Record book. Now comes my point. We were cruising around and came on a kudu who was turned quarter to me and standing still and a perfect shot. My PH nudged me. I ignored him. I shook my head and tried to show him that I couldn't. The kudu had horns that had to be over well over 55 inches. The PH almost had a stroke. Later I told him that I lived in an apartment with 8' ceilings and just couldn't put him up on a wall. I lived to learn that night about pedestal mounts!

Posts: 649 | Location: NY | Registered: 15 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Sevens
posted Hide Post
I'm hoping to go for a leopard or lion some time in the next few years. If I get lucky and bag one, I like the poses in which the animal appears to be a pet sitting on the floor. There is an example here. Go under general work and it is the lion third row down on the far right. I was thinking maybe put a warthog skull in his paws instead.

Sevens

Posts: 2789 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: 27 January 2004Reply With Quote