THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AFRICAN HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  African Big Game Hunting    lever action with a 525 grain at 2200 fps

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

lever action with a 525 grain at 2200 fps
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
HI,

I just get back from the shooting range and chronogragh a few loads with my 50-110.With a 525 grain WFN I had a average of 2199.7. I also had a high of 2211 fps and had no signs of any problems with pressure, I could see. The brass ran through easy and I know I could even move up a few grains if I want too. I don't think I will as it is where I want it and see no need to.The Kodiak Bonded core bullets ran a little slower, which I exspected, due to more friction with the metal jacket.The 500 grain Kodiak ran a average of 2179.8 and had a high of 2192.4, not to bad.I know I can move up in powder and I think get a 525 grain around 2240 fps, but like I said I think hovering around 2200 fps is okay with me.And according to my computer the 525 grain at 2211 fps gives me a whopping 5,698 FT-LBS at the muzzel out of the lonely lever action, not to bad according to anyones idea of power.Thanks,Kev

Posts: 1002 | Location: ALASKA, USA | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Kev,
Congratulations! What a stomper. How was recoil? I can't wait to get my 450 now.
Jeff

Posts: 399 | Location: Cass County, Texas | Registered: 25 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
HI,

JNC91, it really was not to bad, I understand a big bore is going to have recoil, but it was no more than a 50 Alaskan I had. The muzzel brake did a very good job of keeping the muzzel down, it kind of came straight back into your shoulder. I shoot around 65-70 rounds from the bench and around the last 10 I started to feel it.I think that is a lot of rounds from a big bore from the bench, but one has to exspect recoil with any big round in any rifle. Also the accuracy was very good for a 50 cal I shot out to a 100 yards as I really just wanted to chronogragh and break in my barrel today. It grouped very well at 100 yards. Thanks,Kev

<Rusty>
posted
Wow, that kind of velocity out of a 22 1/2 barrel.
Must be screamer?

Rusty
We band of brothers!

<ovis>
posted
Kev,

Congratulations!!!!!!! From the previous posts of the pictures, it sure looked like a fine ride.
I'm glad it met your expectations at the range.
Great rifle!

Life is good.

Joe

<JeremyT>
posted
Kev

What make is it based on, action, barrel length etc? and post a picture please.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Keep us posted on future load development. An intriguing levergun, thats for sure. This oughta smack anything on earth with excellent results, I'm sure. No doubts here. ~~~Suluuq

Posts: 854 | Location: Kotzebue, Ak. | Registered: 25 December 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of NitroX
posted Hide Post
Isn't there a big bore forum at AR?

Posts: 10138 | Location: Wine Country, Barossa Valley, Australia | Registered: 06 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by NitroX:
Isn't there a big bore forum at AR?

Yes. You're clever! [Big Grin] I've seen many posts that would be better suited to the actual forum heading then where it's at, but no one really gives a damn.
In Kev's view, as well as other's (note the posts given here), this topic is indeed suitable to those interested in such info for African hunting. ~~~Suluuq

Posts: 854 | Location: Kotzebue, Ak. | Registered: 25 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
HI,

NITROX,I thought too of putting it on the big bore forum, but since so much discussion here about levers and HC I thought it would be okay.It is a win 86 and has a 22.5 inch barrel with a removable muzzel brake has been rustproof. I had PICs put on this forum by a kind gentleman here as I am sad with this computer stuff, Thanks,Kev

one of us
posted Hide Post
Way to go Kev! Where are all the naysayers who just KNEW the gun couldn't work and couldn't produce that kind of ballistics ??

I will say , though , you must have a cast iron shoulder ! [Big Grin]

Posts: 1660 | Location: Gary , SD | Registered: 05 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of NBHunter
posted Hide Post
You should install a steam whistel, because it sounds like you got a freight train there. Good luck with it. [Smile]

Posts: 741 | Location: NB Canada | Registered: 20 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Kev: Could you explain how you can get better then 458 win mag velocities out of a lever action, and, if so, why the gun doesn't blow up?

Is the case that much larger then the 45-70?
I'm not familiar with that cartridge, and, I'm wondering about the strength of cartridge, rifle, and pressures?

DR S

Posts: 1805 | Location: American Athens, Greece | Registered: 24 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
There seems to be an abundance of lever action nuts on these forums. I'm not particularly one of those, but I wanted to put a plug in for a friend of mine. Kev- you might want to look a www.leveractions.com. Reg and I went to high school together and grew up on farms a couple of miles apart(through the air, not by the road). He got most of his training in gunsmithing from John Linebaugh, who is a native of Maryville, Mo.

Posts: 2788 | Location: gallatin, mo usa | Registered: 10 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
I see no valid reason why this string shouldn't be on African hunting. A 525 gr bullet traveling at 2200 fps at muzzle is certainly in the relm of becomeing an African cartridge, in it's own right, regardless what rifle it came out of!

I think I would rename the cartridge somewhat,though, to maybe 50-110 Nitro , and give warnings when loads are discussed in a public forum. Some dummy may try to use these loads in some old rust bucket, and get hurt. [Cool]

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
HI,

SOCRATES, yes the 50-110 is much larger than a 45-70, I send T.CARR a pic maybe he will post it up as I am having problems posting PICs, I am terrible with this computer stuff.In fact the 50-110 is much bigger than a 50Alaskan, the 50AK case is 2.2 and the 50-110 is 2.4 .And I have talk about the strength of the win86. The new rifles can handle the pressure well, the straight wall case with the .510 bore tend to have less pressure than a shoulder case too. Thanks,Kev

one of us
posted Hide Post
 -

L to R: 50 Carbine, 50-70, 50-95, 50-100, 50-110, 58 Musket

Posts: 3485 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 22 February 2001Reply With Quote
Picture of T.Carr
posted Hide Post
Kev,

Here is your picture of the 50-110 next to the 45-70.

-

Regards,

Terry

Posts: 5338 | Location: A Texan in the Missouri Ozarks | Registered: 02 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
HI,

T.CARR, thanks again for posting it for me. The 50-110 on the left is a 525 grain WFN bullet by Cast Performance and the 45-70 on the right is a popular load, it is a remington 400 grain SP, as you can see a huge difference. Thanks,Kev

one of us
posted Hide Post
Kev:
AWESOME ROUND!!!
Is the OAL about the same as the 375 H&H? Looks about the same, and my reloading manuals don't list it.

Isn't this the sharps round that killed so many buffalo, at relatively long ranges?

What kind of brass are you using, and what kind of max pressure is the round designed for?

Wonder if the 500 Linebaugh is a cut down 50-110? [Wink]

DR S

[ 01-14-2003, 09:25: Message edited by: Socrates ]

Posts: 1805 | Location: American Athens, Greece | Registered: 24 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
HI,

SOCRATES,I beleive you are right it use to be a old buffalo round 50 cal 110 grains of blackpowder, hence 50-110. The OAL of the rounds I am using are 2.84, but I could get them to work at 2.90.The brass is starline, the pressure that the 525 grain load is around 48,000 psi.Starline just started to send out brass for the 50-110 last week. I had an order in for them for around a year, there brass is very strong along with the newer win 86 pressure seems to be okay. Thanks,Kev

one of us
posted Hide Post
HI,

I also forget to mention this lever also can shoot 50 Alaskan rounds out of it too.In fact MR. Clay shot serveral rounds of 50AK out of it before sending it to me. I ask him if it would shoot 500 Linebaugh as the bore is the same .510 and he said it may shoot one round but does not know if it will be able to feed more than one. I will try this down the road just to see.If it does this would make this a very versatile rifle as I am getting a 500 Linebaugh or what MR. Clements calls it a 500 Mag within a few months.Thanks,Kev

one of us
posted Hide Post
Kev, what were your starting loads with the 525gr cast bullet?

JStevens, Reggie has my 86, doing a 50-110 right now. If your ever in his neighborhood,say Hi for me. [Smile]

Thanks, Al

Posts: 711 | Location: Michigan , USA | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
HI,

AL, if you send me a E-mail I will give you the starting load, I am a little worried about putting it on line as I would not want anyone to try the loads in an older win86.I think many years back win86 would shoot a 50-110 blackpowder, it would be a mess if someone tried a smokeless 50-110 in it.The powder I am using is H4895. Thanks,Kev

one of us
posted Hide Post
HI,

With that said the starting load is 79 grains of H4895 and my last load was 8#.5. AL, E-mail me and I will give you all the data I have. Thanks,Kev

one of us
posted Hide Post
Al, I talk to Reg at least once a week, but I haven't this week. Yours is probably the only 1886 50-110 he's working on. At least I haven't seen any of them around there. I'm sure he'll make you up a hell of a rifle. When I talked to him last, he had a .50 Alaskan that he didn't think was shooting up to par-was doing some bench testing. The guy wanted this one made up real light and it ended up a little over 6 3/4 lb. He felt like he'd been in a fight-maybe he had been- with a under 7-lb .50. If you haven't met him, he's a little smaller than me- I'm 5'9"-165 pounds, so that Alaskan was working him over pretty good, as he said he'd shot almost 75 rounds before he quit. That 50-110 is one lever that will have the stuff. His 50 Alaskans run about 1900-2000 with 525 grain bullets, so I'd bet Kev is right on with his 50-110 loads.

Posts: 2788 | Location: gallatin, mo usa | Registered: 10 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
wow...makes me kinda tingly all over.

Kev, if you find the time, would you mind
e-mailing me some info. on the gun itself, builder, etc.. I must have missed a previous posting.

Thanks in advance.

Posts: 174 | Location: N.E. Oregon | Registered: 24 December 2002Reply With Quote
<DBKING>
posted
All I can say about this round is "OUCH", that is gonna hurt something on the
recieving end. And maybe on the giving end too! [Big Grin]

one of us
posted Hide Post
HI,

JSTEVENS, that is about what I was told and seems to be the case, the 50-110 gets around 200fps more than a 50 Alaskan with the same weight bullet. I believe or I know after shooting it I could get very close to 2240fps or more with a 525 grain, but like I said 2200fps is fine with me.Thanks,Kev

one of us
posted Hide Post
If any of you look at the website I mentioned, Reg has had his loads pressure tested by Hodgon's and I believe they were only around 35000 psi, so they should have a safety margin. I can't see anything wrong with shooting a buff with one of these w 525 at 2200. The buff won't know he's not supposed to be shot with a levergun. If I was going to do it, I'd make it weigh about 10.5 pounds, though.

one of us
posted Hide Post
jstevens
I can't get the link to work.

Posts: 787 | Location: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: 15 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I can't get it to work either today,but I put a search for Nonneman Custom Rifles and it pops right up and shows the URL www.leveractions.com. I guess you can fine it with the search engine.

one of us
posted Hide Post
ah huh you forgot the bit on the end
http://www.leveractions.com/Default.htm

Posts: 787 | Location: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: 15 January 2002Reply With Quote