Find
Notify
Tools

Ruger RSM - Final Chapter
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of SBT
posted
My first Ruger RSM had a misfire so I sent it back. They put in a new firing pin spring and off we went. Could not get that rifle to shoot better than 4" at 50 yards so I sent it back. They sent me a new barrel and action. Had four misfires and it still wouldn't group better than 4" at 100 yards. Ruger said to send it back again. They even over nighted a pre paid over night delivery label. They fired the gun at various times of the day over multiple days. It shoots 3/4" to 2" groups at 50 yards. They said that was within factory specs. I said that it may be, but that wasn't good enough for a DGR. The offered to refund my purchase price and I accepted. I really loved the way that rifle looked, but I needed to have total confidence that the bullet was going where I aimed it. At least Ruger is a stand up company and they stand by their product.

Posts: 4779 | Location: Story, WY / San Carlos, Sonora, MX | Registered: 29 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Really sorry to hear this so close to your departure date. What are going to use in place of it? Actually there is nothing on those Namibian ranches you can't kill with a good 180gr. premium bullet from an '06. I do understand the "Africa" feel gererated by certain rifles and calibers though.

Regards,

Mark

Posts: 12873 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of 30ott6
posted Hide Post
SBT can use my .375 or like you say, the old '06 will do it!
I think the recoil of .375 is little much for SBT anyway.

Posts: 1143 | Location: Cody, WY | Registered: 06 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
SBT,

Sorry to hear that the rifle was never "right". From my experience and the others on this board the RSMs are very accurate rifles. My 416 is a 1" 3 shot rifle with NorthFork or Hornady bullets. This Wednesday I was having a bad range day and slung some 1.5-2" groups and I knew it was me and not the rifle. My #1 458 Lott is very accurate as well. If your rifle was consistent with the 3/4" at 50 that is one thing...4" at 100 is ugly for a good bolt rifle.

Take care

John

Posts: 831 | Location: Mount Vernon, WA | Registered: 18 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Speaks well for Ruger, if they refunded you on a rifle that shot 3/4 to 2 inches at 50 yds, thats acceptalbe accuracy in my books with any big bore...thats also a large spread between group size for some reason, I suppose they shot different loads.

Posts: 41859 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of HunterJim
posted Hide Post
Terry,

Sorry your Ruger RSM .375 did not work out afterall; .375s are usually accurate rifles, so I understand why you didn't accept what it was delivering.

jim

Posts: 4166 | Location: San Diego, CA USA | Registered: 14 November 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of vapodog
posted Hide Post
It has been my experience that Ruger's standards of accuracy are woefully inadequate and especially on varmint rifles. (1.5" at 50 yards)

While I believe Ruger rifles usually exceed their standard by a wide margin their standards should be well known to all customers prior to the sale. Same for All other mfrs!!

I take my hat off to them for refunding your money but there's no excuse for this poor of standard in their guns.

Great customer service to poor standards is not great service in my mind.

Posts: 28849 | Location: western Nebraska | Registered: 27 May 2003Reply With Quote