Find
Notify
Tools

long range elephant hunting
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Grafton
posted Hide Post
I would rather hunt one at close range because that is "the game." Would it bother me if someone else wanted to shoot one at long range? Not a bit. To each his own.

SAFARI ARTS TAXIDERMY
http://www.safariarts.net/

Posts: 1378 | Location: Virginia, USA | Registered: 05 March 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Cats,

If 99.9% of hunting is getting ready to hunt, you must be a a real happy gut since that is your mo.

For me its the whole package, but getting ready is only the pregame show. The hunt begins when you load your rifle and start walking. But it only ends when you make the killing shot. Unlike fishing, there can be no real catch and release hunting, especially of DG, so making the kill is part of the game.

But then this would be news to you.

JPK

Free 500grains

Posts: 4900 | Location: Chevy Chase, Md. | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of NitroX
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cats:
gerry you are a wise gentleman. When I sit here in my den and recall all the years in the Alaskan bush, or look at some of my mounts such as a 70" bull moose, 10'+ brown bear, etc. I only skim over the actual killing shot be it with bullet or shaft. I am able though to recall in detail the place I took them,the weather, friends whom were at hand,campfires that never really caught well till we were ready for sleep, waking to find 3" of new snow in August had fallen on my half shelter during the night and much much more.
Like most I can recall some great shots I made but in truth the killing was never why I kept at the sport. Hell beef is one hell of alot cheaper in the long run. TLM/Cats

Cats/Wynwood/Charles McWilliams

Bwana Bhang,

Keep smoking those wacky tobaccy cigarettes and these fantasies will still keep seeming really real!

BTW Talking about bow hunting elephant, weren't you the one to post how you could "shoot an arrow through an elephant's skull". And also posted those photos of famous bowhunters as yourself? Wink

Posts: 10138 | Location: Wine Country, Barossa Valley, Australia | Registered: 06 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
what's the matter boys are even you guys getting tired of bashing Ray and Pierre.
If you have never hunted with stick and string you do not know the meaning of getting close. Hell archers have been doing just that since BEFORE gunpowder!!

One of Us
Picture of NitroX
posted Hide Post
Bhang! Bhang! Bhang!

Big Grin

Posts: 10138 | Location: Wine Country, Barossa Valley, Australia | Registered: 06 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by NitroX:
Bhang! Bhang! Bhang!

Big Grin

You're dead Smiler

one of us
posted Hide Post
Your stoned.

Free 500grains

Posts: 4900 | Location: Chevy Chase, Md. | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
and you're just a troll

you're living in Chevy Chase and calling me stoned
Psst...here's a hint use a silent H in bHang Smiler

One of Us
posted Hide Post
NO!!!

But...if viewed purely objectively (impossible by human nature) it would make no difference would it? Its like a canned Lion....a lion is shot, who cares if it is fair chase or hogtied??? You can farm a cow, why not a lion? BUT we are conditioned animals oursleves, so I would hate the tought (I am generally not a big ele hunting fan to begin with).
Its like this.....do you like to eat a great barbeque? A great Chilli? or any other favourite meal? Well, you don't need to, you could take a supplement shake and fibre capsules and be on your way...what would you prefer?

Posts: 1274 | Location: Alberta (and RSA) | Registered: 16 October 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Cats,

You've been to Chevy Chase as often as to Alaska or Africa I see.

Your obviously still stoned.

JPK

Free 500grains

Administrator
posted Hide Post
Gentlemen,

I wonder how close we have been able to get to an elephant if they could see as well as buffalo?

Also, I wonder why there is so much objection to shooting an elephant at 100 yards?

The furthest I have shot one was about 55 yards, and that was because there was no way in hell we could have gotten any closer to him. Also, it was getting rather late in the day, just before sun down.

I have hunted many times with a PH who absolutely hates long shots, but, sometimes one has no choice.

In fact, I would hazzard a guess that if this bull did not offer us a chance except a shot at 100 yards, I think I would have taken it.

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 68668 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
JPK let's get back to discussing Africa..Saeed has been more than gracious overlooking the banter. TLM/Cats

one of us
posted Hide Post
Saeed,

Its your hunt, so its your choice. That goes without saying. If taking the longer shot makes for a satisfying hunt for you then thats the prescription for you.

I don't get the same feeling being 100 yards from an elephant that I do at 10 or 20 yards, or at 50yds for that matter. Seems the closer I am the more intense the emotions, awe, wonder, excitement, determination, fear in some cases...Thats what makes for the gratification for me.

I enjoy getting close so much that actually pulling the trigger has its plusses and minuses. You need to do it for the whole excercise to have a point, and the emotions are at their peak, but when you do it, its the beggining of the ebb.

I don't have your experience, I have only shot two tuskless elephants, but I haven't been in a situation where we couldn't get closer, even in the open. We did that a bunch just for the sake of the stalk with no intention of shooting; call them practice runs. It was great, but not the same as going in for the kill.

Its the emotions that I'm looking for and they come with being close. Still, I think I'd take that 55yd shot on a trophy bull if I was sure we couldn't get closer, but I'm pretty sure I'd pass on a 100yds shot because I'm sure we could get closer.

At Humani, hunting tuskless in thick green brush in a swirling wind, we were charged half a dozen times in one morning,(and once when we were after a nice warthog) contrary to what I'd always read, a short sprint got us out of trouble each time. But you're not sure if its worked, this time, til you pull up in a clearing and turn, ready to shoot. The tension was incredible; a combination of fear and excitement and determination and awe I can't put into words.

Going back to make another approach on the pissed off elephants was equally intense. Two and a half hours of increasing intensity till the shot. Totally draining. Satisfaction, relief, regret..deflation. Incredible. Most intense feelings I've ever experienced except for the birth of my children.

I just don't get those feelings, which is what I'm after, at even a modest distance. I think anyone who hunts elephants but hasn't gotten close is just missing out.

Best,

JPK

Free 500grains

one of us
posted Hide Post
btt

Free 500grains

One of Us
posted Hide Post
JPK!

Well said!

465H&H

Posts: 5686 | Location: Nampa, Idaho | Registered: 10 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Cats:

I truly think that the reason you and I kept at hunting is simply because we carry a hunter's genes in us. We love everything associated with "going hunting". Years ago I read an article in the Izaak Walton magazine (yeah, I know it was primarily a fishing magazine) where the author (whose name I just don't remember) wrote something I always remembered - to the effect that he had "enjoyed over forty years of hunting and loved everything about it except the killing." I'll bet you looked down on that 70" moose and felt a momentary sadness. American Indians used to feel it necessary to murmur a word of apology to the animal's spirit. I always rather liked that. Neither you nor I can ever explain our feelings to anyone who doesn't feel the same way.

Posts: 800 | Location: NY | Registered: 01 June 2005Reply With Quote