New
Find
Notify
Tools

Boddington's African Influence!
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Guys - I wanted to get your input on a subject I have been thinking about for a little while now. All of us love Africa, love to hunt Africa, and most of us have some influence from our past that first gave us the itch to go. I suppose that influential itch varies greatly from person to person, and from generation to generation, but without any doubt for me, it was Craig Boddington.

Maybe Craig's influence on me personally is because of my age, now at 37 I have completed 24 separate African safaris since the mid 90's. But I may never have gotten the bug, if it weren't for him? Many times I hear people talk about the great writings of Hemingway, Capstick, Taylor, etc, etc. As the thing that first got them interested in Africa. But for me, as a teenager in the late 80's & early 90's, my African dream was reading stories by Boddington in the pages of Petersen's Hunting. Heck, I really had no idea who those other guys were back then, but I couldn't wait to get the next month's issue of HUNTING, in hopes of some far off adventure from Craig about his latest African Hunt. I simply couldn't imagine such an experience, but I was determined to do it some day. Fact is, my father got me started in hunting, but he was merely a casual hunter. He loved to waterfowl hunt, liked going Deer & Elk hunting once a year in our home state of Colorado, but that was about it. For me however, that just wasn't enough, I needed more, and often I got my hunting "fix", through many of Craig's articles in HUNTING, and later his books.

Funny how things evolve. It was just a few short years later that I met Craig here in CO. We had a mutual friend at the time that Craig would hunt with, and that I started guiding for at the age of 19. I was 20 when we first met, simply a deer & elk guide, but I couldn't wait to jump in the truck with Craig and ask him about AFRICA. As he is with everyone, he was most gracious to this young punk, bending his ear about lion & buffalo hunting, wanting to hear a story or two. Fact is, we didn't spend all that much time together that fall, but it was enough to heighten my desire for African hunting, that much more. The following year he was back to CO, and actually moved to Denver for a short time, and ended up living less than 10 minutes from me. I invited him to a friend's place for an awesome day of Goose Hunting, he accepted, and just the two of us spent the day gettig our limit of geese. Wow, what a pleasure it was to spend the day with Craig, wearing him out about my African obsession. Craig moved away shortly after that, and I would contact him on a rare occasion, but never tried to bother him much. After that, we lost communication for quite some time, and now we have an infrequent email from time to time, but that's about it. I really wouldn't consider Craig a good friend, more of an acquaintance, but the influence he had on me and my African Dream, was by far the biggest of all.

So, the question is this. How many of you gained the majority of your African desires through the writings of Mr. Boddington?? Like I say, perhaps its my age, and I am of the generation that would have grown up from the time that Craig was writing alot about the subject. But at least for me, I am not sure my desires would have grown as much as they did, had it not been for the easy access I had to many of his stories about the Dark Continent. As I am sure by now, I am not the only one who feels this way, I wanted to get input and stories from some of you on the subject, and then I was thinking about writing an article about it as well. I think it's high time Craig gets the recognition as the newest "African Legend", much as the famous writers and story tellers of the past received from Craig's generation, long ago!! What says you?????

Aaron Neilson
Global Hunting Resources
303-619-2872: Cell
globalhunts@aol.com
www.huntghr.com

Posts: 4888 | Location: Boise, Idaho | Registered: 05 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I agree Craig has done a lot along with all the fine folks that do Tracks across Africa. In my opinion Craig Boddington and Ivan carter are tops in the field. tu2

The more people I get to know, the more I love my dog!

Posts: 117 | Location: Mississippi | Registered: 26 June 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of JBrown
posted Hide Post
For me it wasn't that Boddington lit the fire that got me thinking about Africa, it was more that he provided the "nut and bolt" information that allowed me to take my the plunge. His stories in HUNTING kept the fire going.

Horn of the Hunter and PHC's writing lit the fire, but as I told Craig the first time I met him, it was Where Lions Roar that sent me on my first safari.

Jason

"You're not hard-core, unless you live hard-core."

Hunting in Africa is an adventure. The number of variables involved preclude the possibility of a perfect hunt. Some problems will arise. How you decide to handle them will determine how much you enjoy your hunt.

Just tell yourself, "it's all part of the adventure." Remember, if Robert Ruark had gotten upset every time problems with Harry
Selby's flat bed truck delayed the safari, Horn of the Hunter would have read like an indictment of Selby. But Ruark rolled with the punches, poured some gin, and enjoyed the adventure.

-Jason Brown

Posts: 6838 | Location: Nome, Alaska(formerly SW Wyoming) | Registered: 22 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Grafton
posted Hide Post
Aaron, we are the same age but for me Boddington was more of the "nuts and bolts" vs. lighting the fire. For me, it was the older tales from J.A. Hunter, Ruark, Hemingway, James L. Clark, Carl Akeley etc.. that fueled the fire for Africa.

One problem with reading all of the "old stuff" is that it fuels the thoughts that you were born into this world too late and the golden years are gone. Having mentors that are still living is a good thing. You are quite fortunate to have spent so much time on safari at your age.

When you want accurate information about hunting in Africa today, Boddington is tops. I think in 50 to a 100 years he will be viewed more in the ranks of the old greats than he is now.

It is great that you got to have some first hand experiences with one of the people that inspired you.

SAFARI ARTS TAXIDERMY
http://www.safariarts.net/

Posts: 1378 | Location: Virginia, USA | Registered: 05 March 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Sevens
posted Hide Post
quote:
One problem with reading all of the "old stuff" is that it fuels the thoughts that you were born into this world too late and the golden years are gone.

Ain't that the truth!

If you died tomorrow, what would you have done today ...

2018 Zimbabwe - Tuskless w/ Nengasha Safaris
2011 Mozambique - Buffalo w/ Mashambanzou Safaris

Posts: 2789 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: 27 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
quote:
Guys - I wanted to get your input on a subject I have been thinking about for a little while now. All of us love Africa, love to hunt Africa, and most of us have some influence from our past that first gave us the itch to go. I suppose that influential itch varies greatly from person to person, and from generation to generation, but without any doubt for me, it was Craig Boddington.

My grandma ruled her family with an iron fist of maybe more correctly...a buggy-whip in her case!!!

One rule she had was: "If you don't have anything good to say...keep your mouth shut!" Eeker

For those of you who really know me...y'all know how well that took!!! rotflmo

But at 47 I am finally learning to take her advice! shocker

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
J. Lane Easter, DVM

A born Texan has instilled in his system a mind-set of no retreat or no surrender. I wish everyone the world over had the dominating spirit that motivates Texans.– Billy Clayton, Speaker of the Texas House

No state commands such fierce pride and loyalty. Lesser mortals are pitied for their misfortune in not being born in Texas.— Queen Elizabeth II on her visit to Texas in May, 1991.

Posts: 37790 | Location: Gainesville, TX | Registered: 24 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Grafton - Like I said, alot of the authors you mention, I had never heard of when I was a kid. So Boddington's work was by far the biggest exposure I had to the African Hunting World.

Aaron Neilson
Global Hunting Resources
globalhunts@aol.com
www.huntghr.com

Posts: 4888 | Location: Boise, Idaho | Registered: 05 March 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Aaron,

For me Craig Boddington is the go to guy if you want to read something relevant about today's Africa. I highly recommend all his writing to my clients.

The classic African authors like Ruark, Hemingway and even Capstick are fun reads but offer very litte "how too" advise for a safari in 2010 onward. I do think that a hunter should read Pondoro Taylor though. For a hunter of his time he made some observations about rifles that are still relevant today. His life was just a Gawd awful adventure.

Mark

MARK H. YOUNG
MARK'S EXCLUSIVE ADVENTURES
7094 Oakleigh Dr. Las Vegas, NV 89110
Office 702-848-1693
Cell, Whats App, Signal 307-250-1156 PREFERRED
E-mail markttc@msn.com
Check us out on https://www.facebook.com/pages...ures/627027353990716

Posts: 13008 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MikeBurke
posted Hide Post
Ruark and Capstick got me interested in Africa.

Craig Boddington and Kevin Robertson helped make my first trip much more enjoyable.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
According to everything I've read on AR isn't Craig some sort of evil to be reviled at every turn? Roll Eyes

Actually, I've got a lot of time for Craig. He's always been forthcoming and helpful whenever I've asked him questions. That said, he didn't light my fire to hunt in Africa...he just stokes it on a monthly basis.

I started reading Ruark years ago. I love his work and it was his work that made me want to hunt Africa. That said, when I went on my first trip in 2007 it was, of course, nothing like Ruark's writings. But that was what initially made me want to see Africa and hunt it's wild beasties.

Then I re-discovered Craig's work. I had previously thought of Craig as "that magnum rifle guy" and, as I wasn't interested in the latest and greatest, I didn't pay a lot of information to his work. Then, after I was bitten by the Africa bug, I started seeking out every article I could find about hunting Africa. And there, lo and behold, was Craig Boddington. And what a discovery it was for me. Here was a guy who was hunting more days in Africa every year than I hunted at home. And write honestly about his successes and failures (how many guys do you read that tell about the one they paid for but didn't get to take home?). I dug out my old copy of Safari Rifles that I got when I was about 14 and re-read it cover to cover. Then, out of nowhere, there appeared a glut of books for me to read. And DVDs that made me feel like I was right there. Now, to the chagrin of my wife, I've got stacks of books that I blaze my way through before I go to bed (apparently that's time for talking, not Craig).

Am I jealous? Damned skippy I am, and I'd bet hard-earned that most hunters are (though few are man enough to admit it). The fact that Craig still participates on this board despite the sh*t and abuse he takes are a testament to his character. I think that Craig is possibly the greatest hunting writer of our time, akin to Jack O'Connor. He's got the technical knowledge, experience and writing skill to be the best source of information on hunting in Africa (and possibly Asia - though I'm not that interested in Asia so I don't pay much attention to it - have we heard that before?).

Bottom line - top notch guy. Free with his knowledge and a first rate writer...and living the life we all wish we were.

SCI Life Member
DRSS

"In those savage countries success frequently depends upon one particular moment; you may lose or win according to your action at that critical instant."

Sir Samuel Baker

Posts: 297 | Location: New Scotland, Canada | Registered: 01 August 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I just like his TV show
popcorn

NRA LIFE MEMBER
DU DIAMOND SPONSOR IN PERPETUITY
DALLAS SAFARI CLUB LIFE MEMBER
SCI FOUNDATION MEMBER

Posts: 1366 | Location: SPARTANBURG SOUTH CAROLINA | Registered: 02 July 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
http://forums.accuratereloadin.../1821043/m/457100386

Without a doubt, Sam Pancotto was THE person who "lit our fire for African and international hunting". Growing up on the Southside of Chicago in the 60's there was very little exposure to international big game hunting. Sam was from our neighborhood and when you passed his house you would see mounted life size polar bears, African game and animals you did not even know existed. Sam and his wife Rose were the only persons we knew who made hunting trips to Africa and other far away destinations.

Sam and Rose would be at the Chicago Sportsman's Show every year at their friend from Alaska's booth with all their Alaska trophies. Sam and Rose were always friendly to the young children asking all types of questions about the huge polar and Kodiak bears in the display.

Sam and Rose eventually moved from the neighborhood and built the home in the attached link. Their trophies and stories were responsible for untold children's dreams of hunting tigers in India or lions in Africa.

Kathi

kathi@wildtravel.net
708-425-3552

"The world is a book, and those who do not travel read only one page."

Posts: 9484 | Location: Chicago | Registered: 23 July 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Jack D Bold
posted Hide Post
Ah, it had to be Roy Weatherby's shop South Gate.

My dad took me there when I was just a kid. It was better than Disneyland.

So with all due respect, my bug for Africa started with my dad, and crystallized by Weatherby's wonderful collection.

"You only gotta do one thing well to make it in this world" - J Joplin

Posts: 1129 | Registered: 10 September 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Code4
posted Hide Post
The Author John Gordon Davis lit my fire when I was about 16 yo with his novel 'Taller Than Trees' and later I discovered the earlier award winning novel 'Hold My Hand I'm Dying'.

I remember those articles by Boddington in the 90's in Hunting magazine. The African stuff was fascinating but I was also inspired by the articles on hunting in Europe. Spain, Rumania and Scotland from memory.

Posts: 1433 | Location: Australia | Registered: 21 March 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have meet the man and always found him friendly and accessible no ego unlike others in his business. His shows are some of the best in the market place today on all levels. Some of the comment I have seen on here in the passed sound like sour grapes to me.From armchair cowboys with nothing better to do than put someone else down to make them feel better about themselves

Posts: 3818 | Location: kenya, tanzania,RSA,Uganda or Ethophia depending on day of the week | Registered: 27 May 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of DCS Member
posted Hide Post
My fsther got me interested in African hunting, but Col. Boddington showed me how it is supposed to be done. I have only said hello to him at DSC a few times. He has been extremely cordial. I would have liked to have engaged in deeper conversation with him, but did not want to distract him from his ventures. However, I felt as though he would tslk to me regardless of how much I had in my wallet. Stand up gentleman. If anyone questions it, just go look to the Punki threads.

I meant to be DSC Member...bad typing skills.

Marcus Cady

DRSS

Posts: 3453 | Location: Dallas | Registered: 19 March 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I agree with the various posts that he is an excellent source of information. Not gospel, but an excellent source.

My initial desire for Africa occurred when my father brought some cheap paperback book on big game hunting that he wanted for an article on deer, I think. I stole the durned thing (at age 7) and sat and read the one chapter on buffalo hunting 10-15 times before he could get the book back. I think he gave the thing to one of his buddies on that hunt, because I could never find it again. Then they made us read 3 Hemingway stories in 6th grade. Hated "old man and the sea" but when I grabbed Green Hills of Africa, I ended up liking Hemingway. One of my few "cultured" appreciations.

Posts: 10988 | Location: Minnesota USA | Registered: 15 June 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Wildlife Gallery
posted Hide Post
Both Craig and Ivan have been the biggest influence on me. Dave Fulson has also been a great inspiration and another source of knowledge regarding the dark continent. I only hope to hunt with each of them one day in Africa....DAN

Committing ourselves to world class turnaround and quality.
www.thewildlifegallery.com

one of us
Picture of Lorenzo
posted Hide Post
He allows me to "live" most of my hunting dreams through his books...

John Hunter, Jim Corbett and Craig Boddington.

My all time favourite writers.

L

Posts: 3085 | Location: Uruguay - South America | Registered: 10 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Muletrain
posted Hide Post
Reading Capstick lit the fire, reading Ruark kept it going, Boddington was an up to date reference source for planning my first trip.

Elephant Hunter,
Double Rifle Shooter Society,
NRA Lifetime Member,
Ten Safaris, in RSA, Namibia, Zimbabwe

Posts: 955 | Location: Houston, Texas, USA | Registered: 13 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The guy that orginally lit the fire for me was Jack O'Connor, but the story that finally made me get off my butt was written by a guy who wrote for Petersen's for a while then moved onto Ducks Unlimited. He wrote a story about a place called Kwalata Lodge; the pictures of kudu and gemsbok really lit a fire in me.

Boddington is clearly the writer for Africa today, at least in terms of professional writers. There are lots of writers who now write about Africa, but I can't think of anyone who has CB's experience on DG.

Ironically, I owe my entire lifestyle to African hunting. My first DG hunt was with a guy named Henry Mills of Mills Fleet farm (we were just in the same camp). The fact that he could dump the money it took for a 21 day hunt convinced me I had to start some kind of a business if I ever wanted to do that.

Aaron, I would guess you have more African experience that CB had when he was your age; you certainly have more experience with cats. Not that it is any of my business, but how did you get to do all that hunting? Born rich? Spend every dollar you made on hunting? I would probably find your answer to that queston as interesting as any actual hunting story.

Don't Ever Book a Hunt with Jeff Blair
http://forums.accuratereloadin...821061151#2821061151

Posts: 7577 | Location: Arizona and off grid in CO | Registered: 28 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 404WJJeffery
posted Hide Post
For me, it was Ruark, Capstick, Russ Broom, JA Hunter etc., I later started reading Boddington. They are all great.

"Are you gonna pull them pistols,...or whistle Dixie??"

Josie Wales 1866

Posts: 1489 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: 19 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Milo Shanghai
posted Hide Post
Never read any of Boddington's stuff. What first interested me in Africa was going there in '95 and I've been doing it as often as possible ever since.
Reading is highly overrated as you often end up with an experience that is far removed from reality.
Put the book down, pick up the phone, book your flights.

Posts: 680 | Location: London | Registered: 03 September 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I will never forget a field trip that my 3rd grade class took. We went "somewhere", but on the way back we stopped at a man's house to view his museum. He had one heck of a trophy room. I can remember elephant foot stools, zebra hides, spears and other assorted African animals. I never thought that I could afford Africa, but caught the bug after going to the Atlanta SCI show in 05.

Posts: 550 | Location: Augusta,GA | Registered: 01 September 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Cazador humilde
posted Hide Post
Mr. Boddington has some very rare talents, especially in the hunting world. His work shows that he actually knows the craft of writing, regardless the subject. He has accomplished an incredible amount in and out of the military, but his writing has a humbleness that appeals to "everyman"; you don't get any sense of ego - quite the opposite from some of the other, extremely talented Africana writers listed above.

Posts: 1278 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 31 May 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mike70560:
Ruark and Capstick got me interested in Africa.

Craig Boddington and Kevin Robertson helped make my first trip much more enjoyable.

I have most of Boddington's books, and I enjoy reading them time and again, but it was Peter Capstick and Robert Ruark that got me interested in hunting Africa. Maybe I got started earlier than some? Smiler

Posts: 1357 | Location: Texas | Registered: 17 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by AnotherAZWriter:

Aaron, I would guess you have more African experience that CB had when he was your age; you certainly have more experience with cats. Not that it is any of my business, but how did you get to do all that hunting? Born rich? Spend every dollar you made on hunting? I would probably find your answer to that queston as interesting as any actual hunting story.

AAZ - Not born rich, that's for sure. However, I live modestly, and don't have ex-wives or children to pay for. Makes it a bit easier without a bunch of dependents!

Aaron Neilson
Global Hunting Resources
globalhunts@aol.com
www.huntghr.com

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I first started to read about African hunting in the late 50s. JA Hunter first then I found Taylor in 1960. AR&C and Pondoro sealed the deal for me. That was all way before Craig showed up on the scene. He is my go to person now for good info.

465H&H

Posts: 5686 | Location: Nampa, Idaho | Registered: 10 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of David Hulme
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Code4:
The Author John Gordon Davis lit my fire when I was about 16 yo with his novel 'Taller Than Trees'

That is an absolutely fantastic book.

Dave

Posts: 2270 | Location: Zimbabwe | Registered: 28 February 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of shakari
posted Hide Post
Hunting in Africa by Frank C Hibben was my first (I was about 9 years old)

Then came Hunter by Hunter and then came Bell and many others.

Bodd also features heavily on my bookshelves as well nowadays and I'd rate him as one of the modern greats. tu2

one of us
posted Hide Post
Finn Aagard (Sp?) was the writer that lit the fire for me. Books by J.A. Hunter and others cemented the desire.

Bill

Posts: 1088 | Location: Salt Lake City, Utah, USA | Registered: 19 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Milo,

There are no unrealistic expectations in Craig's writing. Others lit the fire(Capstick, and Ruark), Craig tells one how to feed it,
where to go, how to get there, and if you ask, who to facilitate the adventure.

Luke Samaras once told me,"Craig tells it like it is". One can't ask for more.

Posts: 414 | Location: Tennille, Ga | Registered: 29 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of J.R.Jackson
posted Hide Post
Robert Ruark for sure with a little Capstick. I thought George Hoffman's book was great. I have read a few other books that I don't remember the authors. I have read very little by Boddington, so I will have to start reading his stuff. I do like him on Tracks Across Africa. But what do I know, I haven't been to Africa yet, it is way above my pay grade.

Posts: 570 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: 12 November 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Neil-PH
posted Hide Post
quote:
Not born rich, that's for sure. However, I live modestly, and don't have ex-wives or children to pay for. Makes it a bit easier without a bunch of dependents!

And therin lies the truth.

Posts: 536 | Location: The Plains of Africa | Registered: 07 November 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of shakari
posted Hide Post
Aaron,

I've got a couple of ex wives you can have for nothing if you want 'em!

animal rotflmo jumping rotflmo animal

More seriously, I've been married twice but sadly both my wives died.

The first died of eating poison mushrooms and the second died of a fractured skull.......... She wouldn't eat her mushrooms...

animal rotflmo jumping rotflmo animal

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Many of the responses are sort of what I was expecting. As I mentioned originally, I think its definitely a generational thing as much as anything. When I was at an influential age, Craig's writings were easy for me to obtain. Many of the more famous writers that some of you mention, were completely unknown to me until I saw them mentioned by Boddington as the guys that inspired him.

Steve - You're just wrong man!!!

You know why divorce's are expensive don't ya?? Cause they're worth it!!

Or at least that's what I am told.

Aaron Neilson
Global Hunting Resources
globalhunts@aol.com
www.huntghr.com

one of us
Picture of shakari
posted Hide Post
You're not wrong buddy... they're worth every penny!

One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
quote:
You know why divorce's are expensive don't ya?? Cause they're worth it!!

As a person that just got through (and I should put a question mark here) paying for one...I can definitely attest to the EXPENSE!!!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
J. Lane Easter, DVM

A born Texan has instilled in his system a mind-set of no retreat or no surrender. I wish everyone the world over had the dominating spirit that motivates Texans.– Billy Clayton, Speaker of the Texas House

No state commands such fierce pride and loyalty. Lesser mortals are pitied for their misfortune in not being born in Texas.— Queen Elizabeth II on her visit to Texas in May, 1991.

Posts: 37790 | Location: Gainesville, TX | Registered: 24 December 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
If divorces and marriages dicatated how much one could hunt in Africa this thread wouldn't even exist.

Don't Ever Book a Hunt with Jeff Blair
http://forums.accuratereloadin...821061151#2821061151

Posts: 7577 | Location: Arizona and off grid in CO | Registered: 28 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Thomasjohn:
Robert Ruark for sure with a little Capstick. I thought George Hoffman's book was great. I have read a few other books that I don't remember the authors. I have read very little by Boddington, so I will have to start reading his stuff. I do like him on Tracks Across Africa. But what do I know, I haven't been to Africa yet, it is way above my pay grade.

I forgot about George's book; that is also one of my favorites, I used to enjoy chatting with him at the conventions and he signed his book for me.

I like Boddington's "African Hunter II", It is a great reference book on African hunting, and I refer to it often.

Posts: 1357 | Location: Texas | Registered: 17 August 2002Reply With Quote