New
Find
Notify
Tools

"New" 4457
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
For those of you nearing your departure date for safaris, if you are going to or transiting SA, I've been told that your Form 4457 must must have an expiration date (none of mine do) or you won't be allowed to import your firearm. I've looked at the SA Police and PHASA websites but didn't see this in black and white. Hopefully this will be published today, if true.
I'm trying to verify.

Karl Evans

Posts: 2881 | Location: Emhouse, Tx | Registered: 03 February 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Apparently, they will be looking for an expiration date on the top right corner of your 4457, example
"OMB Control Number: 1651-0010
Expiration Date: 02/29/2016"
to have a date in the future. None of mine do, just one more BS thing to take care of.

Karl Evans

Posts: 2881 | Location: Emhouse, Tx | Registered: 03 February 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Bwana338
posted Hide Post
I went and looked at the new 4457 form and it does have a 8/31/2019 expiration date in the top right hand corner.

This is news and that will keep a person obtaining a new one every few years.

It is easy to fill out to take with you for the inspection.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

"You've got the strongest hand in the world. That's right. Your hand. The hand that marks the ballot. The hand that pulls the voting lever. Use it, will you" John Wayne

Posts: 1620 | Location: West River at Heart | Registered: 08 April 2012Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
I'm still using the original ones received in 2008. I have to drive a 200 mile round trip to the nearest Custom's office.

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12647 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I had the opposite problem in 2015. My 4457, gun license according to SAPS, had expired. What a hassle! I had to leave my rifle, come back the next morning. I had to endure a scolding from the SAPS Captain regarding how bad the USA took care of their gun licensing. Surprisingly no money changed hands.

Posts: 2173 | Location: NORTHWEST NEW MEXICO, USA | Registered: 05 March 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I just got a new one. The customs inspector told me that my old one was still good.

Dave

Posts: 2086 | Location: Seattle Washington, USA | Registered: 19 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
http://forums.accuratereloadin...301058812#2301058812

AR link from February 2016 on this issue.

Kathi

kathi@wildtravel.net
708-425-3552

"The world is a book, and those who do not travel read only one page."

Posts: 9456 | Location: Chicago | Registered: 23 July 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
nopride2 and reddy375,
You know and I know 4457 is to show proof of ownership. The 4457 does not expire. The dopes at the SAPS office think it's a gun permit/license, hence they look at the expiration date. Sometimes they hassle you, sometimes they don't.

Posts: 2173 | Location: NORTHWEST NEW MEXICO, USA | Registered: 05 March 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Outdoor Writer
posted Hide Post
Today from SCI:

The South African Police Services’ Central Firearms Desk has announced its decision to no longer accept United States Department of Homeland Security Certificates of Registration, commonly known as CBP Form 4457, if the date in the top right had corner of the form has expired.

“We encourage all Safari Club members to complete a new CBF Form 4457 before embarking on any international travel with firearms,” said Larry Higgins, President of SCI. “While South Africa is currently the only country to make this decision, others will likely follow suit. Members should ensure their 4457 Form is valid before leaving the U.S.”

This new form can be found online here. SCI members with questions should contact the Customs and Border Protection Information Center directly. The CBP INFO Center is open Monday-Friday between 9 a.m. and 4 p.m. Eastern time. You can ask your question via email or by calling (877) 227-5511. If you are outside the U.S. you must call 1 (202) 325-8000.

Those needing additional assistance may contact SCI’s Office of Hunter Advocacy at (202) 543-8733 or may email hunteradvocacy@safariclub.org.

SCI also encourages members to defer to the Professional Hunters’ Association of South Africa (PHASA) and their travel protocols when hunting in South Africa. PHASA recommends hunting clients pre-apply, through a reputable, registered meet-and-greet agency, for temporary import/export of firearms and/or transit permits.

Tony Mandile - Author "How To Hunt Coues Deer"

Posts: 3269 | Location: Glendale, AZ | Registered: 28 July 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Slider
posted Hide Post
The ONLY reason anything expires is to get more money from you.

Posts: 2423 | Location: East Wenatchee | Registered: 18 August 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The problem with getting a "new" form is Customs is still using the same old form with an form expiration date of 2012, at least they were last Thursday.

Posts: 752 | Location: Corrales, New Mexico | Registered: 03 February 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The reasons to follow your deep passion to hunt Africa are many. Sadly, the reasons not to do so keep piling up. I'm fortunate to live very near a CBP port city, so I can get this done soon enough before my departure next Wednesday for Zim (via RSA). I feel for hunters who may have an imminent departure but are not so similarly situated.

Posts: 43 | Location: On the road somewhere | Registered: 17 January 2015Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of fairgame
posted Hide Post
Why South Africa?

ROYAL KAFUE LTD
Email - kafueroyal@gmail.com
Tel/Whatsapp (00260) 975315144
Instagram - kafueroyal

Posts: 9921 | Location: Zambia | Registered: 10 April 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
When I have to go have my 4457's renewed it's a 350 mile round trip to Albuquerque. A real pain in the ass, but you have to pay to play.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I just got the notice from SCI. It says if your going to South Africa get the new 4457.

Dave

Posts: 2086 | Location: Seattle Washington, USA | Registered: 19 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
What will happen now is that CBP officers will want to see the expiration date on return regardless of where you are returning from. inch by inch

Posts: 1088 | Location: oregon | Registered: 20 February 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I just got the form from customs this past week, no expiration date on it. They stamped it and I shipped my rifle off to get work done on it. If the form does not have the expiration date on it - are they saying they won't take that one either vs one that is expired?

Posts: 504 | Location: California | Registered: 04 February 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by eny:
What will happen now is that CBP officers will want to see the expiration date on return regardless of where you are returning from. inch by inch

This isn't CBP wanting to see a "current" 4457. For all their faults they understand the OMB form expiration. Most do anyway. SAPS on the other hand has always been clueless as to what a 4457 is and what the date means. And since many of these forms, including the 4457, have a use until supply is exhausted clause then getting a newer version might not be as easy as you think without downloading your own.

Don

Trust only those who stand to lose as much as you do when things go wrong.

one of us
Picture of Duckear
posted Hide Post
Has anyone every just made up a fake 'firearms license' to give to SAPS?

A few official stamps and your done!

Hunting: Exercising dominion over creation at 2800 fps.

Posts: 3105 | Location: Southern US | Registered: 21 July 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Duckear:
Has anyone every just made up a fake 'firearms license' to give to SAPS?

A few official stamps and your done!
My wife and I joke about this all the time. Best to put it on a $20 Wink

Posts: 1088 | Location: oregon | Registered: 20 February 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
http://www.huntingreport.com/w...te.cfm?articleid=813

South Africa Refuses 4457 Forms with

(posted March 22, 2017)

US hunters going to South Africa with firearms must ensure their Customs Form 4457 does not show an "expiration" date that has passed. The date is found in the top right-hand corner of the form. The South African Police Services' (SAPS) central firearms desk has advised the Professional Hunters' Association of South Africa (PHASA) that they will no longer accept any US Department of Homeland Security Certificate of Registration (CBP Form 4457) if the date in the top-right hand corner has expired, even if a US border official has stamped it with a later date.

A 4457 Form is the document accepted by customs authorities around the world in lieu of a firearms ownership license for US hunters temporarily importing a firearm for a hunting trip. The Hunting Report first warned you about this issue with the "expiration" date on the US Customs Form 4457 last October (see Article 3892), when a subscriber reported a SAPS official did not want to accept his form for this very reason.

US Customs has not addressed this problem, despite several reports from hunters hassled over the "expiration" date. According to US Customs officials, the expiration date in the top right-hand corner is strictly for internal use and not meant as an expiration on the use of the form. Despite this, customs authorities and other agents abroad who check required firearm import documents have interpreted the date as an expiration on the use of the document.

Before you leave the US for South Africa, make sure you have a NEW CBP Form 4457, which is available from Homeland Security's official website. That means you will have to get your new form signed and stamped by a US Customs officer before departing the US.

PHASA also warns no one should try bribing South African police to allow the importation of their firearms or to speed up the process. "Paying bribes is not acceptable under any circumstances," reads a notice from PHASA to The Hunting Report. "Hunters are encouraged to expose anyone who tries to extort money or who offers money to an official in order to circumvent due legal procedures. Also, please treat South African police officers courteously." There have been several instances of safari operators or their clients creating difficulties with rude behaviour, which is why safari operators can no longer accompany clients into SAPS offices.

PHASA strongly advises hunting clients to pre-apply for temporary South African import/export firearm permits and/or a transit permit by using a reputable, registered meet-and-greet agency. Although there is a small fee, PHASA contends that the peace of mind and time saved from standing in line at the firearm permit office at OR Tambo airport is well worth it. For assistance from PHASA click here.

Get important news bulletins like this sent directly to your email 24 hours before anyone else sees them, plus unlimited access to our database of hunt reports and past articles, a special expanded electronic version of our newsletter and more! Upgrade your Hunting Report subscription to Email Extra today. Click here for more information.

Kathi

kathi@wildtravel.net
708-425-3552

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Just heard from Gracy, they are saying if you have the older form with no date, you are fine.

Posts: 504 | Location: California | Registered: 04 February 2013Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by fairgame:
Why South Africa?

Eaxtly!

There is nothing wrong with hunting South Africa.

We have hunted there twice, and had a great time.

But, if the government keeps trying all these totally pointless stupid rules, and the hunting industry is not able to change it, they can bloody well stuff it.

I will go and hunt in countries where I am made welcome, with as little red tape as possible.

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 68240 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Wesheltonj
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 10generation:
Just heard from Gracy, they are saying if you have the older form with no date, you are fine.

I am sure that SAPS will say that Gracy is the final authority that no date will work.

Posts: 764 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 13 April 2016Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The date on the form is most likely not a date that means your form is expired.
It means in government speak it probably means that particular version of the form is obsolete, and there most likely a newer version available.

You just gotta wonder how Africans can screw up anything they get near.

Dulcinea

What counts is what you learn after you know it all!!!

Posts: 711 | Location: York,Pa | Registered: 27 February 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jdollar
posted Hide Post
Just 1 more reason to use a camp rifle..... Whistling

Vote Trump- Putin’s best friend…

Posts: 13346 | Location: Georgia | Registered: 28 October 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Just another reason to avoid South Africa.

It would also seem to me that someone real sharp with MSPaint or Photoshop could put whatever date they wanted on their current 4457. Of course that would be all illegal and shit...

Posts: 551 | Location: Mostly USA | Registered: 25 March 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Enough BS already to go through. I will stay away from SA altogether.

posted Hide Post
When you make a photocopy to bring with you (always leave the original at home), just make certain that the OMB form information is cropped off.

Voila!

George

Posts: 14623 | Location: San Antonio, TX | Registered: 22 May 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Austin Hunter
posted Hide Post
What was that mean? All mine say 6/30/94 in the upper right hand corner. 6/30/2094?

The latest ones online say 8/31/2019.

TIA

"Evil is powerless if the good are unafraid" -- Ronald Reagan

"Ignorance of The People gives strength to totalitarians."

Want to make just about anything work better? Keep the government as far away from it as possible, then step back and behold the wonderment and goodness.

Posts: 3078 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 05 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by clayman216:
Enough BS already to go through. I will stay away from SA altogether.

This, Targeted violence against whitesthat has been reported here, and selling out their nation states to Chinese is making Austria and Australia even more welcoming. The Africans are determined to destroy everything. It is ultimately not us that are being destroyed, but their own nation states. Their wild places. The base line support for their rural masses that they have failed and left worse of than the capitalist, imperalist they blame(d). My God be with them. I do not thin the game and wild places can survive a second match needed blood letting.

Posts: 11785 | Location: Somewhere above Tennessee and below Kentucky  | Registered: 31 July 2016Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jjbull
posted Hide Post
8 hours each way to Great Falls to get new 4457s for me.

Emirates to avoid RSA seems to be looking better and better.

___________________________________________________________________________________

Give me the simple life; an AK-47, a good guard dog and a nymphomaniac who owns a liquor store.

Posts: 820 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota/Florida's Gulf Coast | Registered: 23 March 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I really think the SAPS people are to stupid to realize that they are going to run away all the prepaid meet and greet bribe's and any other cash they bully people into forking over. I think I will avoid that place for sure from now on, I got to spend a couple hours in the basement with the SA police on my first trip. Enough for me

Posts: 1015 | Location: Imperial, NE | Registered: 05 January 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My decision to use a "camp" rifle this summer
is looking better and better.

Posts: 2660 | Location: Utah | Registered: 23 February 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have a 21 - day safari in 3 weeks, this comes with great timing!!!!!!

Aaron Neilson
Global Hunting Resources
303-619-2872: Cell
globalhunts@aol.com
www.huntghr.com

Posts: 4888 | Location: Boise, Idaho | Registered: 05 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of boarkiller
posted Hide Post
They all know, we are gonna start armed revolution to take over their countries
What a scary world...

" Until the day breaks and the nights shadows flee away " Big ivory for my pillow and 2.5% of Neanderthal DNA flowing thru my veins.
When I'm ready to go, pack a bag of gunpowder up my ass and strike a fire to my pecker, until I squeal like a boar.
Yours truly , Milan The Boarkiller - World according to Milan
PS I have big boar on my floor...but it ain't dead, just scared to move...

Man should be happy and in good humor until the day he dies...
Only fools hope to live forever
“ Hávamál”

Posts: 13376 | Location: In mountains behind my house hunting or drinking beer in Blacksmith Brewery in Stevensville MT or holed up in Lochsa | Registered: 27 December 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of fairgame
posted Hide Post
Just had another client who scrapped RSA and booked Emirates. It is quite alarming how the airport authorities can be so hostile and my wife and I were treated quite badly the last time we came through Joberg.

A complete contrast to Zambia where the authorities will stretch the rules to suit the visiting tourist and the gun import procedures are a breeze.

Good for Emirates I might add.

ROYAL KAFUE LTD
Email - kafueroyal@gmail.com
Tel/Whatsapp (00260) 975315144
Instagram - kafueroyal

Posts: 9921 | Location: Zambia | Registered: 10 April 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
http://www.phasa.co.za/legisla...its/dyi-permits.html

Anybody know about the not older than six months 4457? Thank you in advance for any information.

DIY Permits
DYI PERMITS (NOT making use of PHASA's pre-issued permit service)
All hunters temporarily exporting firearms for hunting purposes to South Africa and applying for a temporary import permit at the airport after arrival in South Africa (not a pre-issued permit), will need to have Proof of Export from the their country of origin.
Without this proof, the police will not issue the temporary import permit and will confiscate your firearm(s).
UK Citizens:
PHASA has contacted the UK Border Force and obtained the following instructions for hunters not having a pre-issued permit for the RSA:
- Email the UKBF Armoury Control on ukba.firearmslhr@hmrc.gsi.gov.uk at least 2 weeks prior to your departure for the RSA:
Advise them that you will be travelling to South Africa for a game hunting safari.
Request them to issue you with a letter/document that you may lawfully temporarily export your firearms and ammunition to South Africa.
Scan and email copies of the following with the request:
- Passport
- Firearms licence – indicate exactly which rifles/shotguns you will take and the amount of ammunition you will be taking
- Return flights and dates
• Contact details: +44 (0) 20 8910 3721

US Citizens:
Current customs form 4457 is sufficient: Not older than 6 months

Other Countries not issuing temporary export permits: Official affidavit or declaration from their police or customs authorizing them to temporarily exporting the specific firearms for hunting purposes to South Africa.

Please contact Ms Tersia du Plooy for any further questions: phasa@phasa.co.za

Kathi

kathi@wildtravel.net
708-425-3552

Administrator
posted Hide Post
Had a message from A PH in South Africa saying his clients were held up for several hours because of this!!??

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 68240 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If someone had a lot of money and wanted to invest it...Think about this.

Setting up a large game farm on a Caribbean Island and stocking it with sable, eland, and cape buffalo.

Think how much easier that would be for hunters in the Western Hemisphere. I believe it could be a potential gold mind.

If you could import a few experienced PHs and their trackers (and families of course).

You could also have a luxury resort side for the wives and non-hunters in the group and of course throw in big game fishing, beaches, snorkeling, scuba, etc.

That would be my idea of paradise.

Just an idea.

BH63

Hunting buff is better than sex!

Posts: 2205 | Registered: 29 December 2015Reply With Quote