THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AFRICAN HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  African Big Game Hunting    NAMIBIA - Moratorium for leopard trophy hunting permits for 2009

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

NAMIBIA - Moratorium for leopard trophy hunting permits for 2009
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of nampom
posted
Just got word from the Namibian Ministry of Environment and Tourism that NO Leopard permits will be issued as from June 15, 2009 for the coming hunt season, as with Cheetah the 2009 CITES export quota has been exhausted.

If you are booked for a Leopard hunt in Namibia contact your outfitter as soon as possible, hopefully they did already apply for permits.

All the best
Roger

VIERANAS Bow & Hunting
Adventure Safaris Namibia
#TPH00157

Roger@vieranasbowhunt.com
www.vieranasbowhunt.com

http://www.facebook.com/Vieranas.Safaris.Namibia

"The true hunter counts his achievement in proportion to the effort involved and the fairness of the sport" Saxton Pope

Posts: 240 | Location: Africa Namibia - Kamanjab | Registered: 10 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Tim Herald
posted Hide Post
You have got to be kidding me. Was there no warning? Hope Karl already has my permit, or I am screwed....

Good Hunting,

Tim Herald
Worldwide Trophy Adventures
tim@trophyadventures.com

Posts: 2980 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: 13 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of nampom
posted Hide Post
No warning I got the mail late yesterday, after working hours most probably so that the permit office does not get inundated with leopard permit applications.

From what I've heard the 2008 CITES quota was overshot and now they have no other choice then to close in order to rectify the backlog.
For interest sake; the leopard Steve shot when you guys where here was number 161, end of August we shot another leopard, number 209 so in basically 35 days 48 trophy leopard was reported, if you take Namibia only get a quota to export 250 then it is not a surprise.

Tim, knowing Karl I'm sure he has already applied for the permit this will only affect outfitters who normally wait until number 999 to apply for hunt permits and new bookings for this season.

All the best
Roger

VIERANAS Bow & Hunting
#TPH00157

www.vieranasbowhunt.com

"The true hunter counts his achievement in proportion to the effort involved and the fairness of the sport" Saxton Pope

Posts: 240 | Location: Africa Namibia - Kamanjab | Registered: 10 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Bahati
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by nampom:
From what I've heard the 2008 CITES quota was overshot and now they have no other choice then to close in order to rectify the backlog.

Roger

This must mean many outfitters allowed clients to take leopards without prior permits - or the authorities issued too many! I am not sure which is worse ...

Johan

One of Us
Picture of Tim Herald
posted Hide Post
Thanks Roger , I hope you are right about mine already being in the mix...

Good Hunting,

Tim Herald
tim@trophyadventures.com

Posts: 2980 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: 13 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Wendell Reich
posted Hide Post
I do not think this is new. I remember an announcement earlier in the year that this was in the works or a warning that exports would be shut off after the quota was reached.

With the increase of operators in Namibia over the past 8-10 years, it is no wonder.

Is Namibia's Leopard permitting headed the way of SA Leopard permiting???

Correct me if I am wrong, but this doesn't mean you can't shoot one, it just means you can't export one this year. You would have to use next years CITES quota for this years cats .... which is what created this shortage of permits this year ... right?

Posts: 6253 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: 13 July 2001Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
quote:
Correct me if I am wrong, but this doesn't mean you can't shoot one, it just means you can't export one this year. You would have to use next years CITES quota for this years cats .... which is what created this shortage of permits this year ... right?

This begs another question.

Isn't the date of the kill have to be recorded?

If so, how come leopards shot this year can be exported next year?

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 66982 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of McKay
posted Hide Post
this don't sound good. I am leaving a week from tomorrow for a leopard hunt there.....

Mac

Mac

Posts: 1725 | Location: Salt Lake City, UT | Registered: 01 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of McKay
posted Hide Post
Just recieved an email back from my outfitter that this is the case. She said my call was the first they heard of it. She said she called the Ministy of Enviroment. damn.....

Mac

Mac

Posts: 1725 | Location: Salt Lake City, UT | Registered: 01 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Tim Herald
posted Hide Post
But...If your outfitter obtained your permit before June 15, you are good? Is that how it works?

Good Hunting,

Tim Herald
tim@trophyadventures.com

one of us
posted Hide Post
http://www.huntingreport.com/w...te.cfm?articleid=449

Link to story in The Hunting Report

Kathi

kathi@wildtravel.net
708-425-3552

"The world is a book, and those who do not travel read only one page."

Posts: 9370 | Location: Chicago | Registered: 23 July 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of nampom
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Tim Herald:
But...If your outfitter obtained your permit before June 15, you are good? Is that how it works?

Yes it is only for permits not applied and approved for by the Ministry before June 15th.

Shooting a Leopard this year and only applying for the permit next year is theoretically illegal as the law states you have to have the permit in hand when the hunt commences.

All the best
Roger

VIERANAS Bow & Hunting
#TPH00157

www.vieranasbowhunt.com

One of Us
Picture of McKay
posted Hide Post
mine did not have the permit yet......

Mac

one of us
Picture of Wendell Reich
posted Hide Post
Ouch!

A.W.A.

Posts: 6253 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: 13 July 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Tim Herald
posted Hide Post
Hate to hear that McKay...I am in misery with no way to find out until Karl is out of the bush...

Good Hunting,

Tim Herald
tim@trophyadventures.com

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Tim-I too am scheduled to hunt leopard with Karl later this year and I am willing to bet a dollar against a dime that our permits are already applied for and approved.

As you say ,we will have to wait till he returns to post but I am fairly certain that we are all right.

We seldom get to choose
But I've seen them go both ways
And I would rather go out in a blaze of glory
Than to slowly rot away!

Posts: 1370 | Location: Shreveport,La.USA | Registered: 08 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Tim and eyedoc:

I'm old and my memory may be failing, but I recall Karl (who I don't know personally BTW) mentioning exactly this phenomena in one of his posts earlier this year. I'd bet dollars to doughnuts you'll have the correct permits.

xxxxxxxxxx
When considering US based operations of guides/outfitters, check and see if they are NRA members. If not, why support someone who doesn't support us? Consider spending your money elsewhere.

NEVER, EVER book a hunt with BLAIR WORLDWIDE HUNTING or JEFF BLAIR.

I have come to understand that in hunting, the goal is not the goal but the process.

Posts: 17099 | Location: Texas USA | Registered: 07 May 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Tim Herald
posted Hide Post
Hope so guys. I know Karl is pretty buttoned up. I talked to his wife today, and she said he is in the Caprivi and she didn't know what permits he had. She said if she talks to him by phone, she will let me know. Fingers crossed!

Good Hunting,

Tim Herald
tim@trophyadventures.com

One of Us
Picture of A.Dahlgren
posted Hide Post
Tim and eyedoc !

quote:
Luckily I took out my client's permit at the beginning of the year, as I did with the leopard and other permits, to cater for exactly this eventuality.

Karl Stumpfe
Ndumo Hunting Safaris (Pty) Ltd.
www.huntingsafaris.net
karl@huntingsafaris.net

http://forums.accuratereloadin...601070801#4601070801

Posts: 2637 | Location: North | Registered: 24 May 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Tim Herald
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the info guys...you are helping me sleep better tonight. I booked in Nov or Dec, so I should be good. I knew there was a reason I chose Karl!

Good Hunting,

Tim Herald
tim@trophyadventures.com

One of Us
Picture of Karl S
posted Hide Post
Tim and Mike:
You can sleep well tonight, I have your permits with me "under my bed"!
BTW, I am still in Caprivi, and will contact you when I get back, as my email/ cell signal is very weak.

Karl Stumpfe
Ndumo Hunting Safaris www.huntingsafaris.net
karl@huntingsafaris.net
P.O. Box 1667, Katima Mulilo, Namibia
Cell: +264 81 1285 416
Fax: +264 61 254 328
Sat. phone: +88 163 166 9264

Posts: 1333 | Location: Namibia, Caprivi | Registered: 11 September 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Karl,

I am sure this comes as a relief to Tim and Mike. Just curious (as I have a Leopard hunt planned in Namibia next year) - what is the procedure that the outfitter/PH needs to follow in order to apply for a permit in advance of the hunt? What information do I, as the hunter, need to provide so that a permit can be applied for? Do I need to have the required U.S. Import/CITES documents in hand before the PH applies for the Namibian Export Permit?

Sorry for all of the questions but I would really like to avoid this problem in 2010.

Posts: 354 | Location: CO | Registered: 19 March 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of shakari
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by pinotguy:
Karl,

I am sure this comes as a relief to Tim and Mike. Just curious (as I have a Leopard hunt planned in Namibia next year) - what is the procedure that the outfitter/PH needs to follow in order to apply for a permit in advance of the hunt? What information do I, as the hunter, need to provide so that a permit can be applied for? Do I need to have the required U.S. Import/CITES documents in hand before the PH applies for the Namibian Export Permit?

Sorry for all of the questions but I would really like to avoid this problem in 2010.

If you've booked, your outfitter will have all the info he needs to get your permits organised on that side.

You're also supposed to get your import permits issued before you take your cat, and you can download the application forms here: http://www.shakariconnection.c...ument-downloads.html

Don't forget that your import permit will have an expiry date that may very well expire before the trophy can be imported. It's YOUR responsibility to make sure you renew that permit before it's expiry date........... A lot of people don't bother with the import permit until they get home and then they apply....... that's fine until some bugger in Govt/CITES/USF&WS etc decides not to issue and then you have a problem. If you get the permit issued before you go, as you're supposed to do, then it'll all go tickety boo.