New
Find
Notify
Tools

Lost trophy
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
My friend shot a very nice sable in SA two years ago. When he received the horns and cape here in the USA, one of the horns was not his. Some how it was determined that the odd horn belonged to a hunter in Switzerland. He shipped it to the correct owner.
Now he is missing one horn on an $8500 trophy fee animal.
Thus far the safari company has not been much help.
By the way he and I have used this safari company twice. This was on our first hunt there.
How would you resolve this?

NRA Patron member

Posts: 2649 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 08 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'm looking forward to the responses. When my shipment from Zambia arrived last year my Bushbuck horns were missing. The taxidermist has promised to ship me another set but as of yet--nothing. I'm not quite to the point that I want to start naming the business but I'd NEVER ship a CITES animal with them after something this simple got screwed up.

Good luck with your situation. I would hope the outfitter would put some pressure on the dip/pack guys to make this right. Unless the outfitter is the same in which case they should absolutely ship you a set of matching horns that are as close to yours as possible.

Regards,

Don

Trust only those who stand to lose as much as you do when things go wrong.

One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
Would help to know who these operators are so we don't make the mistake of dealing with them in the future.

One of Us
Picture of Frostbit
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DonW28:
I'm looking forward to the responses. When my shipment from Zambia arrived last year my Bushbuck horns were missing. The taxidermist has promised to ship me another set but as of yet--nothing. I'm not quite to the point that I want to start naming the business but I'd NEVER ship a CITES animal with them after something this simple got screwed up.

Good luck with your situation. I would hope the outfitter would put some pressure on the dip/pack guys to make this right. Unless the outfitter is the same in which case they should absolutely ship you a set of matching horns that are as close to yours as possible.

Regards,

Don

I can never understand why threads like this are started without actually naming the outfit and shipping agent.

I suppose it's to try and "leverage" your position with the implied threat to release the name on AR but now anyone who cares is searching for hunt reports trying to figure out who to avoid booking with.

There aren't many shipping agents in Zambia that I know of and it would be a shame if assumptions were made about the parties involved.

Mike Boreman in Zambia handled my Lion and other trophies from Andrew in 2012 and everything arrived in the States in less than 6 months in fine shape for the record.

2015 His & Her Leopards with Derek Littleton of Luwire Safaris - http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/2971090112
2015 Trophy Bull Elephant with CMS http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/1651069012
DIY Brooks Range Sheep Hunt 2013 - http://forums.accuratereloadin...901038191#9901038191
Zambia June/July 2012 with Andrew Baldry - Royal Kafue http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/7971064771
Zambia Sept 2010- Muchinga Safaris http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/4211096141
Namibia Sept 2010 - ARUB Safaris http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6781076141

Posts: 7624 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 05 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Fair comment Frostbit. There are two reasons that I did not name the offending party.
First my friend is trying to resolve the issue and does not know I posted here. I was looking for ways to resolve this.
Maybe I will post the names if this does not get resolved.
Secondly, a year or so ago, I posted on another guys post. He had an issue with a safari company in Zim. I had a problem with them as well, but a different problem. We pretty much got lambasted and without saying liar, called liars. That safari outfit is "popular" on this board.

NRA Patron member

Posts: 2649 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 08 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Frostbit
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by df06:
Fair comment Frostbit. There are two reasons that I did not name the offending party.
First my friend is trying to resolve the issue and does not know I posted here. I was looking for ways to resolve this.
Maybe I will post the names if this does not get resolved.
Secondly, a year or so ago, I posted on another guys post. He had an issue with a safari company in Zim. I had a problem with them as well, but a different problem. We pretty much got lambasted and without saying liar, called liars. That safari outfit is "popular" on this board.

Truth usually finds a way into the light. Speak the truth and stand by it. Always the best policy.

Cheers
Jim

2015 His & Her Leopards with Derek Littleton of Luwire Safaris - http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/2971090112
2015 Trophy Bull Elephant with CMS http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/1651069012
DIY Brooks Range Sheep Hunt 2013 - http://forums.accuratereloadin...901038191#9901038191
Zambia June/July 2012 with Andrew Baldry - Royal Kafue http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/7971064771
Zambia Sept 2010- Muchinga Safaris http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/4211096141
Namibia Sept 2010 - ARUB Safaris http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6781076141

Posts: 7624 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 05 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
OK-Well Mike Borman handled my shipment and lost my Bushbuck horns. Glad your trophies made it. Mine didn't and I've been getting the "check is in the mail" since. I was trying to give the guy the benefit of the doubt but since AR demands names then there it is. Hunted with Thor at Munyamadzi. Hippo, Roan, Buffalo showed up but no Bushbuck. No t sure why it is so hard to send a set of a very common animal but it seems that I'm asking too much. Plan right now is to buy set here in the states for $300.

Don

Administrator
posted Hide Post
Sadly, I know of occasions where the culprit was not named because - negotiation - were in progress.

Nothing ever worked in favor of the client!

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 68779 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I truly feel bad for the client. I am in a similar position. Missing animals, excuses, and trophies that I am sure are not mine.

It's made me sure that I will never hunt RSA again. It is too bad, and I am sure there are great companies out there. I have just lost the desire!

I sure hope your friend is able to resolve this. However, I am afraid that Saeed is right!

Posts: 2663 | Location: Utah | Registered: 23 February 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
My friend shot a very nice sable in SA two years ago. When he received the horns and cape here in the USA, one of the horns was not his. Some how it was determined that the odd horn belonged to a hunter in Switzerland. He shipped it to the correct owner.
By the way he and I have used this safari company twice. This was on our first hunt there.

Hi
send me a picture and measurements i have couple of spare heads maybe some horns are similar your friend would be welcome to them.We can always make a plan to get it to him.

Marry Christmas

Toni

Posts: 395 | Location: Mozambique | Registered: 08 June 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of fairgame
posted Hide Post
quote:
OK-Well Mike Borman handled my shipment and lost my Bushbuck horns. Glad your trophies made it. Mine didn't and I've been getting the "check is in the mail" since. I was trying to give the guy the benefit of the doubt but since AR demands names then there it is. Hunted with Thor at Munyamadzi. Hippo, Roan, Buffalo showed up but no Bushbuck. No t sure why it is so hard to send a set of a very common animal but it seems that I'm asking too much. Plan right now is to buy set here in the states for $300.

Don

Hi Don,

Word is you had a great hunt with Thor and sorry to hear about the bushbuck horns. Were they lost in transit and did they appear on the manifest?

Mike Borman has an impeccable record and I have only ever had a set of Impala horns missing from a consignment. Thor and Mike are good people and I am sure with a little bit of correspondence you chaps will figure it out.

Will mention this to Mike as I will be seeing him shortly.

Hope you have a pleasant Christmas.

Best

Andrew

ROYAL KAFUE LTD
Email - kafueroyal@gmail.com
Tel/Whatsapp (00260) 975315144
Instagram - kafueroyal

Posts: 9977 | Location: Zambia | Registered: 10 April 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
See the cooperation you get when names are
given?

Good luck, I'll just bet the problems will be resolved soon.

Good things happen among friends.
Andrew, you enhanced your great reputation again. Good for you.

George

"Gun Control is NOT about Guns'
"It's about Control!!"
Join the NRA today!"

LM: NRA, DAV,

George L. Dwight

Posts: 6019 | Location: Pueblo, CO | Registered: 31 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BNagel
posted Hide Post
quote:
Plan right now is to buy set here in the states for $300.
Don

It is important to keep hunt and taxidermy memories separated. Fix what you can, according to what's important to you. Caught between political expediencies (advancing the progress of black Africans) and holding businesses to first world standards must be tricky. When Murphy steps in, recourse steps out I'm afraid. Profit/survival margins are thin unless the outfits are top shelf organizations, and with the volume of hunters involved in safaris some events cannot be controlled.

Having run afoul of "perfection" in shipping and taxidermy myself a time or two, I can understand the feelings of loss.

Posts: 4884 | Location: Bryan, Texas | Registered: 12 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by fairgame:
quote:

Don

Hi Don,

Word is you had a great hunt with Thor and sorry to hear about the bushbuck horns. Were they lost in transit and did they appear on the manifest?

Mike Borman has an impeccable record and I have only ever had a set of Impala horns missing from a consignment. Thor and Mike are good people and I am sure with a little bit of correspondence you chaps will figure it out.

Best

Andrew

I had a fantastic hunt with Thor. And all my trophies arrived in a timely manner except the Bushbuck horns. I have been corresponding and waiting. Patiently. I think Mike has a set already, or said he did, and is trying to find a low cost way to get them here.

Regards and Merry Christmas,

Don

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Doesn't get much better than this. Kudos! Merry Christmas
quote:
Originally posted by freischuetz:
quote:

Hi
send me a picture and measurements i have couple of spare heads maybe some horns are similar your friend would be welcome to them.We can always make a plan to get it to him.

Marry Christmas

Toni

White Mountains Arizona

Posts: 2855 | Registered: 31 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Toni
would you be willing to PM me your e mail address and Ill get it to my friend. That way the two of you can work on this and I will get out of the middle.
Thanks so much.

NRA Patron member

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Toni
would you be willing to PM me your e mail address and Ill get it to my friend. That way the two of you can work on this and I will get out of the middle.
Thanks so much.

PM send

Regards

Toni

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Toni
pm did not arrive
might be my fault
I just sent you a pm

NRA Patron member

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Toni
pm did not arrive
might be my fault
I just sent you a pm

Mail send!

one of us
posted Hide Post
My Damara DikDik arrived without the skull and horns. The taxidermist said I probably wouldn't ever get them. I brought him photos and he made artificial horns. Looks real.

Dave

Posts: 2086 | Location: Seattle Washington, USA | Registered: 19 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Have a good taxidermist cast a replacement. You will never know the difference. I have done that three times and it is just fine.

Posts: 10372 | Location: Texas... time to secede!! | Registered: 12 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of RAC
posted Hide Post
Considering the logistics of getting hide and horns from the bush to eventually your living room, I am amazed how well it usually works. I have some stuff hopefully coming from our hunt last May. Last batch though, it is getting just too expensive to bring back anymore.

I hunt, not to kill, but in order not to have played golf....

DRSS

Posts: 839 | Location: LA | Registered: 28 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Once the outfitter drops it off at the tanner or shipper it is no longer his responsibility but that of who accepted it for the treatment of shipping . That is who your business is with now.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Just a thought.
Some of you folks might contact:
Skulls Unlimited Intl, OKla City, OK.

They buy and sell heads and skulls, skeletons and such of most every species on earth including humans.

Last I dealt with them in 1999 Jay owned the place. 800/659-7585. I read recently he's still in business.

Just might be worth a try if you need, or have some extra's no matter what it might be. They used to pay my shipping charges on top of the purchase prices for fresh frozen.

Best of luck,
George

"Gun Control is NOT about Guns'
"It's about Control!!"
Join the NRA today!"

LM: NRA, DAV,

George L. Dwight

Posts: 6019 | Location: Pueblo, CO | Registered: 31 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of DCS Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by fairgame:
quote:

Don

Hi Don,

Best

Andrew

I hope to hunt with this man one day.

I meant to be DSC Member...bad typing skills.

Marcus Cady

DRSS

Posts: 3458 | Location: Dallas | Registered: 19 March 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Big Wonderful Wyoming
posted Hide Post
I paid shipping cost to a expediter before I left Windhoek 10 years ago and never saw my trophies again.

For a few years I felt like I got royally screwed and that my safari was ruined. Now a bit wise and much more well travelled I think it kind of sucks, but honestly I care more about the experience than some dead animal on the wall.

I can see the theory behind not bringing anything back.

I have gone to a skull arrangement on trophies anymore. Cheaper, easier to pack if we move and cost next to nothing.

Posts: 7782 | Location: Das heimat! | Registered: 10 October 2012Reply With Quote