Find
Notify
Tools

THANK YOU AMERICA!
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of ChrisTroskie
posted
Maybe the wrong forum for this post but seeing that I offer hunts in Africa, readers here hunt in Africa and our recent trip to the USA was partially hunting related I thought it might be appropriate...

We have just returned from a combined business / holiday trip to the USA... My wife (who although somewhat of a world traveller has never been to the USA) was initially reserved about joining me on the trip as her knowledge of the States was limited to what she had seen on TV. Resultantly she had visions of being forced to eat junk food, getting harassed by rednecks and spending 3 weeks in a world made out of plastic...

Well... she was pleasantly surprised and returned full of praise for the excellent quality of the food we ate, cleanliness, orderliness and organisational skills she was exposed to (e.g. Disney World), the pride of the American nation (allegiance to the flag) and most important of all – the fantastic hospitality that we were exposed to.
This post specifically relates to the last point made above...

Our trip took us to Disney World, Dallas, Austin and Hondo TX, Salt Lake City UT, Jackson Hole, Yellow Stone National Park and Casper WY, Phoenix and Grand Canyon AZ, Bellingham and Seattle WA and Washington DC. As mentioned, the purpose of our trip was part business / part pleasure. The “business” part of our trip speaks for itself namely to fill up our hunting calendar for next year and the “pleasure” part to enjoy some relaxation after a very busy 2009 hunting season.

In the process we had the opportunity to meet in person several AR members whom I’ve “met” and communicated with here on AR over the years and whom I would like to mention specifically here on the forum.

I was privileged to be invited as guest speaker at the monthly meeting of Dallas Woods and Waters Club. After the presentation I was the recipient of a beautifully engraved “Certificate of Honor” by the so-called “Armadillo Chapter” of DWWC awarding me with Lifetime Membership of said chapter. Granted, the award may have been given “tongue in cheek”, but a pleasant surprise nevertheless.

We were also fortunate enough to meet AR member Charles Shelton whose company we both thoroughly enjoyed. Charles and his wife later joined us for a surprise anniversary dinner arranged by my Dallas-based Booking Agent and we had great fun together.

From here we travelled to Hondo TX to participate in a ranch hunt – arranged by my Booking Agent. The hunt itself is something I will address at a later time – let it just be said that anyone who confuses Texas ranch hunts with RSA ranch hunts are gravely misguided... Everyone on the ranch was friendly beyond expectation and it was fun doing things the American (or should I say “Texan” ) way for a change.

From Dallas we travelled to Salt Lake City where client and AR Member JPJ3 and his wonderful wife were awaiting us at the airport. This couple took a whole week off from work to show us around in Wyoming including Yellowstone Park, the awesome little town of Jackson and then their home in Casper. JPJ arranged a host of activities for us including horseback riding on the prairies, a whole day of shooting on a friend’s ranch (my wife now knows how to handle an AR15! and I know I can hit a target at 1,000 yards with a .308) and a get-together at their house to which they had invited several of their friends with an interest in African hunting / touring.

Time flew past and before we knew it, it was time for our flight to Phoenix and a couple of days in the Grand Canyon and Sedona...
Our next stop was the desert city of Phoenix AZ where we met AR Member 458Lottfan (Will and Tania Barks) and family. Will and I had never met in person but have been communicating via AR and private email for some years. Now if we were surprised with the hospitality extended to us up to now – this was our next BIG surprise! In spite of only returning from an Alaskan sheep hunt the previous day, Will invited us into their home as if we had been friends and had known each other for years... not only setting up a presentation for friends and family for that evening but also inviting us to sleep over that night! Remember – for all practice and intent we were STRANGERS to each other!!! Well, strangers we certainly are no longer and I sincerely hope that this was the beginning of a lifelong friendship with another shooter and hunter.

Then came Bellingham WA where we visited client and AR member “Springbok” and his wife for two days. Again, Denny and Judy carried us on their hands, not only preparing excellent meals for us and providing a bed for us to sleep in, but also setting up a presentation for us at the Custer Gun Club. We were almost sad to leave Denny and Judy (fortunately not for long as we will be seeing Denny next year for his Nyala and Reedbuck hunt) and travelled to Seattle for our flight back to DC but not before meeting AR member 470Eddy. ANOTHER pleasant surprise concerning American hospitality!

470 had previously offered to meet and have lunch with us as our flight was only scheduled for that evening. As it turned out we not only had a wonderful lunch together, but he also drove us around and showed us various attractions in the Seattle vicinity for the better part of the day.

Over and above getting an opportunity to see a little bit more of this world and securing bookings, our trip was certainly an eye opener in terms of the open heartedness of Americans. This just again reminded me why I enjoy hunting with American clients (no offence to those from other countries)... South Africans and Americans have a lot in common... Both nations practically started from scratch and suffered immense hardship in the process of becoming wealthy and prosperous. We can readily communicate with each other language-wise... If only more South Africans would adopt the pride in their country and flag that Americans have...

Thanks again AMERICA for a wonderfultime in your wonderful country!

Regards,

Chris Troskie
Tel. +27 82 859-0771
email. chris@ct-safaris.com
Sabrisa Ranch Ellisras RSA
www.ct-safaris.com
https://youtu.be/4usXceRdkH4

Posts: 851 | Location: Sabrisa Ranch Limpopo Province - South Africa | Registered: 03 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
wow a good review. so we are not what you see in the press the so your media lie's too Big Grin next time your here come on down south again we'll intorduce you some redneck deer rifles and moonshine. maybe not in that order Big Grin

Posts: 3818 | Location: kenya, tanzania,RSA,Uganda or Ethophia depending on day of the week | Registered: 27 May 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Honkey
posted Hide Post
I am glad you and your wife had a great time and enjoyed some wonderful hospitality.

I grew up here in the USA and I am still AMAZED by the diversity of topography and wildlife in one country.

I just came back from a Wyoming safari of my own (I was lucky enough to successfully hunt elk, mule deer and pronghorn)

Come back and see us again. clap

NRA Life
DRSS
Searcy 470 NE

The poster formerly known as Uglystick

Posts: 512 | Location: New Mexico USA | Registered: 06 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Vanderhoef
posted Hide Post
Glad to hear you had a great visit, Chris!

I hope your Texas hunt was enjoyable but from your post it's not quite clear. Will you elaborate?

Regardless, please come back soon and I'm sorry I missed your talk at Dallas Woods and Waters Frowner!

Regards,
Scott

"....but to protest against all hunting of game is a sign of softness of head, not of soundness of heart."
Theodore Roosevelt

Posts: 466 | Location: Just west of Cleo, TX | Registered: 20 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
You missed all of us AR members in Las Vegas, Chris!

One of Us
Picture of ChrisTroskie
posted Hide Post
Vanderhoef, oh no - my Texas hunt was most enjoyable and a great learning experience. The ranch got rains for the 1st time in 11 months the day before we got there and everything was a muddy mess! Needless to say - this South African wasn't exactly geared for the event... Fortunately my agent kitted me out in water boots and a dry shirt so all went down well...

I plan on writing a hunt report about my experience in a seperate thread / forum...

Regards,

Chris Troskie
Tel. +27 82 859-0771
www.ct-safaris.com

Posts: 851 | Location: Sabrisa Ranch Limpopo Province - South Africa | Registered: 03 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ChrisTroskie
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Use Enough Gun:
You missed all of us AR members in Las Vegas, Chris!

Heck UEG if only I had known! We were so close - yet so far (visiting the Grand Canyon)... Maybe next time...

Regards,

Chris Troskie
Tel. +27 82 859-0771
www.ct-safaris.com

One of Us
Picture of Vanderhoef
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ChrisTroskie:
Vanderhoef, oh no - my Texas hunt was most enjoyable and a great learning experience. The ranch got rains for the 1st time in 11 months the day before we got there and everything was a muddy mess! Needless to say - this South African wasn't exactly geared for the event... Fortunately my agent kitted me out in water boots and a dry shirt so all went down well...

I plan on writing a hunt report about my experience in a seperate thread / forum...

Very glad to hear it, Chris!!!

Yea, the rain really nailed some parts of the state but boy was it needed!!!!

I look forward to the report and again; Thanks for visiting and come back soon.

Regards,
Scott

"....but to protest against all hunting of game is a sign of softness of head, not of soundness of heart."
Theodore Roosevelt

Posts: 466 | Location: Just west of Cleo, TX | Registered: 20 February 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of SBT
posted Hide Post
Thanks for takingthe time to say so. Hearing of your wife's perception and the media slant was interesting.

Glad you liked our little Town of Jackson.

"There are worse memorials to a life well-lived than a pair of elephant tusks." Robert Ruark

Posts: 4780 | Location: Story, WY / San Carlos, Sonora, MX | Registered: 29 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BrettAKSCI
posted Hide Post
.....and I keep hearing how bad Americans are and how much America sucks!!!! Perhaps the whole world needs to come to Disney World! Confused

I'm glad you enjoyed your trip!!!

Brett

DRSS
Life Member SCI
Life Member NRA
Life Member WSF

Rhyme of the Sheep Hunter
May fordings never be too deep, And alders not too thick; May rock slides never be too steep And ridges not too slick.
And may your bullets shoot as swell As Fred Bear's arrow's flew; And may your nose work just as well As Jack O'Connor's too.
May winds be never at your tail When stalking down the steep; May bears be never on your trail When packing out your sheep.
May the hundred pounds upon you Not make you break or trip; And may the plane in which you flew Await you at the strip.
-Seth Peterson

Posts: 4551 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 21 February 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Blacktailer
posted Hide Post
Nice to see our country though "fresh eyes". I suppose if all you know of America is from CNN and all of the network cops shows, it sounds like a very scary place. Glad you were pleasantly suprised.

Have gun- Will travel
The value of a trophy is computed directly in terms of personal investment in its acquisition. Robert Ruark

Posts: 3828 | Location: Cave Creek, AZ | Registered: 09 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Matt Norman
posted Hide Post
Funny how the USA is perceived by others. When my friends from Namibia first came here they were expecting it to be one big 'Streets of L.A.'; inner-city, shoot-outs, crime, high-speed chases, etc. Their perception was what Hollywood had fed them. Obviously they never encountered any of that and are quite comfortable now whenever they visit. It would be akin to thinking all of Africa was like what we saw in Tarzan movies.

Posts: 3276 | Location: Western Slope Colorado, USA | Registered: 17 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'd be happy to be of assistance to you if you
choose to visit New York City some time. wave

Jack

OH GOD! {Seriously, we need the help.}

Posts: 2791 | Location: USA - East Coast | Registered: 10 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
It always amazes me what people from around the world think of Americans until they visit and find out we are not so bad!

Posts: 103 | Location: southern wisconsin | Registered: 12 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ChrisTroskie
posted Hide Post
Thanks for all the positive coments guys!

Before I get into trouble I should add that the first part of my post was said a little "tounge in cheek". I've been visiting your great country (almost) annually since 2000 so I knew what to expect and of course I shared this info with her beforehand. But... she did indeed have reservations and was pleasantly surprised.

A funny side story... I was looking at buying a real American Cowboy buckle belt and visited practically every cowboy shop in Jackson but couldn't find one within my price range. Ended up buying one in Sedona for what I thought was a real good price... just to turn it over a couple of days later and see that it's not made from real leather and has a stamp: MADE IN CHINA!

BigFiveJack, thanks for the offer. NYC is definitely on our list for next year.

Cheers and thanks again!

Regards,

Chris Troskie
Tel. +27 82 859-0771
www.ct-safaris.com

One of Us
Picture of Mark DeWet
posted Hide Post
Chris - Pleased to see that you and (especially the missus)had a good time travelling around the US. Funny how people get the wrong impression about a country simply because of what is presented on tv ! I have been travelling to the States for the past 18 years - and I always make an effort to visit various places of interest - helps me keep up to date on American lifestyle and history - makes for a different angle of conversation around the camp fire, especially when you can talk to a client about other things besides hunting and ballistics - and I know Americans appreciate us hunters making an effort to know a bit more about their country from a realistic point of view ! As you know America is not just about Disneyland - Babe Watch or Big Macs - there are some real people, and great food out there !

Mark

Mark DeWet
Mark DeWet Safaris - Africa
E-mail: marksafex@icon.co.za

... purveyors of traditional African safaris

Posts: 86 | Location: Southern Africa | Registered: 25 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks, Mark. Big Grin

Posts: 5338 | Location: Bedford, Pa. USA | Registered: 23 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of shakari
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Brett Adam Barringer:
.....and I keep hearing how bad Americans are and how much America sucks!!!! Perhaps the whole world needs to come to Disney World! Confused

Brett

Brett,

Anyone who thinks that is a bloody fool of the first order. The US & the vast majority of it's people are terrific.

If time allows, I'm hoping to be able to take a look at Southern/Central America next year, after which (if I can get my head around driving on the wrong side of the road) I hope to have time to drive up through Mexico, into the US and check out a bit of that end of the country.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I am sure glad you enjoyed your visit and were shown such hospitality.

We sure have a long way to go to match the hospitality we Americans are shown in your country.

Posts: 41790 | Location: Crosby and Barksdale, Texas | Registered: 18 September 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of slimtim
posted Hide Post
It is nice to hear about America through the eyes of someone on the outside. And it is nice to hear good things about the US of A.

tim

Posts: 137 | Location: Maine | Registered: 03 October 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BrettAKSCI
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by shakari:
quote:
Originally posted by Brett Adam Barringer:

Brett

Brett,

Anyone who thinks that is a bloody fool of the first order. The US & the vast majority of it's people are terrific.

If time allows, I'm hoping to be able to take a look at Southern/Central America next year, after which (if I can get my head around driving on the wrong side of the road) I hope to have time to drive up through Mexico, into the US and check out a bit of that end of the country.

Let me know when you're coming.

Brett

DRSS
Life Member SCI
Life Member NRA
Life Member WSF

Rhyme of the Sheep Hunter
May fordings never be too deep, And alders not too thick; May rock slides never be too steep And ridges not too slick.
And may your bullets shoot as swell As Fred Bear's arrow's flew; And may your nose work just as well As Jack O'Connor's too.
May winds be never at your tail When stalking down the steep; May bears be never on your trail When packing out your sheep.
May the hundred pounds upon you Not make you break or trip; And may the plane in which you flew Await you at the strip.
-Seth Peterson

Posts: 4551 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 21 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of michael458
posted Hide Post
It's too bad that most of what folks from other countries learn about the USA is from CNN---that's what is sad! You would be surprised at what they think of the USA from watching CNN
Michael

http://www.b-mriflesandcartridges.com/default.html

The New Word is "Non-Conventional", add "Conventional" to the Endangered Species List!
Live Outside The Box of "Conventional Wisdom"

I do Not Own Any Part of Any Bullet Company, I am not in the Employ Of Any Bullet Company. I do not represent, own stock, nor do I receive any proceeds, or monies from ANY BULLET COMPANY. I am not in the bullet business, and have no Bullets to sell to you, nor anyone else.

Posts: 8426 | Location: South Carolina | Registered: 23 June 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ghostbird
posted Hide Post
patriot
Glad your wife took your advice and came along... thanks for the glowing report !
Andy

--------------------------------------------
National Rifle Association - Life Member
National Wild Turkey Federation - Diamond Life Sponsor
Pope & Young Club - Associate Member

Posts: 561 | Location: North Alabama, USA | Registered: 14 February 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by shakari:
(if I can get my head around driving on the wrong side of the road)

Sir in all actuality it is the "right" side of the road. Cool

One of Us
Picture of crshelton
posted Hide Post
For what it is worth, the presenation by Chris and Joe to the Dallas Woods and Waters Club was excellent. I have seen many dozens of such presentations over the years and this was one of the most professional yet. They covered all their material with a multi media presentation and even included a cameo appearance of a club member, Jim, who had taken his first Cape buffalo with Chris less than two weeks before! Good show! clap
They even finished early and no one in the audience got up and left before the end (a great compliment in itself).

NRA Life Benefactor Member,
DRSS, DWWC, Whittington
Center,Android Reloading
Ballistics App at
http://www.xplat.net/

Posts: 2294 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: 25 May 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
You're a brave one, Steve, driving up through Central America and into Mexico. If you make it alive and in one piece, you might consider coming on up to Vegas. Big Grin

one of us
Picture of shakari
posted Hide Post
Brett,

Will do.

Michael,

Pretty much everything on the news is politics related and there's no such thing as a good politician. As unpopular as Obama seems to be, I'd swop him for that one eyed Scottish twit Gordon Brown any day of the week.

Surestrike,

You guys drive on the right hand side but my logic is that I've always driven on the left hand side, so that must be the correct side. Assuming it is the correct side then the other side must be the incorrect side and hence the wrong side. rotflmo

UEG,

I've always had a hankering to fish for tarpon so thought I'd check out Belize and once there, why not go through Mexico into the US. Hell, I've been kicking round Africa for years....... surely it can't be as bad as parts of SA etc.......... can it?

Vegas is surely one of the places I'd like to see again. I haven't been there for years.

one of us
Picture of BigBullet
posted Hide Post
Chris,
Really glad you and your wife had a good time while visiting the USA. I once had a lady from RSA say when she first met my wife, "I thought all american women were fat like on Oprah" Unfortunenately these shows are the museums of america's oddities and not the real image of most of the states.

BigBullet

"Half the FUN of the travel is the esthetic of LOSTNESS" Ray Bradbury
https://www.facebook.com/Natal...443607135825/?ref=hl

Posts: 1212 | Location: Lorraine, NY New York's little piece of frozen tundra | Registered: 05 July 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of collector
posted Hide Post
Glad you had a fun time...most of our plastic is embedded in Hollywood and Las Vegas Smiler

Posts: 947 | Location: Pennsylvania, USA | Registered: 12 November 2008Reply With Quote