THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AFRICAN HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  African Big Game Hunting    Light plains game gun for smaller people

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Light plains game gun for smaller people
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of namibiahunter
posted
A lot of adults and young people on the smallish size are finding out about the great hunting opportunities in Africa. I have had the pleasure of hunting with some of my children and will again in the years to come. The next time I go (2008) my 11 year old son will be hunting with me. He is small for his age but his heart is stout and he wants to bring home a few plains game trophies. We already have decided on a rifle that suits him. I'd like to know what caliber others feel would be suitable for a small hunter to hunt plains game.

I purposefully left off the magnums and wildcats and listed "common" calibers.

Question:
What caliber would you choose to hunt African plains game for a smaller person?

Choices:
.30-06
.308 Win
.30-30
7x57 Mauser
7-08 Rem
.280 Rem
.270 Win
.260 Rem
6.5x55 Swedish
.257 Roberts
.250 Savage
.25-06
6mm Rem
.243 Win
other

Posts: 665 | Location: Oregon or Namibia | Registered: 13 June 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The 7x57 has an impeccable record in Africa. On top of that, it produces results with little recoil.

If recoil sensitivity is less of an issue, catridges such as the .30-06 are just about ideal.
- mike

The rifle is a noble weapon... It entices its bearer into primeval forests, into mountains and deserts untenanted by man. - Horace Kephart

Posts: 6653 | Location: Switzerland | Registered: 11 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of mouse93
posted Hide Post
7x57 or .308 Win

Posts: 2031 | Location: Slovenia | Registered: 28 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of retreever
posted Hide Post
Instead of caliber one's ability to make the shot with a suitable bullet..

Mike

Michael Podwika... DRSS bigbores and hunting www.pvt.co.za " MAKE THE SHOT " 450#2 Famars

Posts: 6768 | Location: Wyoming, Pa. USA | Registered: 17 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 475Guy1
posted Hide Post
Since size would be important as to fit(12" LOP maybe), using shorter rounds like the 308 or 7X57 would be ideal with the shorter throw bolt.

Used to be 475Guy add about 2000 more posts

Posts: 245 | Registered: 15 September 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of CRUSHER
posted Hide Post
look at the 25 wssm same as 2506 much smaller package I am taking one for the rats and mice on my next safari.

VERITAS ODIUM PARIT

Posts: 1624 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 04 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Eland Slayer
posted Hide Post
How about a .300 WSM with a muzzle brake? I know it's not "traditional" African nostalgia, but at least he would have PLENTY of gun in case he decides to take a Kudu or Zebra. Plus, it's a short action and I think 475Guy1 has a point about that. Regarding the noise of the brake, look into a Vais Arms brake. I've never used one, but it's supposedly the quietest brake on the market, only raising the volume of the shot by something like 1.5 db.

Hunt Report - South Africa 2022

Wade Abadie - Wild Shot Photography
Website | Facebook | Instagram

Posts: 3109 | Location: Hockley, TX | Registered: 01 October 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My daughter has used a .308 to hunt with since she was 13 yrs old. Used a Rem 600 action, mcmillion stock and ported the barrel. When she was 14 she took an antelope, blacktail deer and a bear, all one shot kills. I had the rifle restocked when she was 18, to fit better. She is 33 now and still hunts with the same rifle.

Perception is reality
regardless the truth!

Stupid people should not breed

DRSS
NRA Life Member
Owner of USOC Adventure TV

Posts: 923 | Location: Phx Az and the Hills of Ohio | Registered: 13 March 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Safari-Hunt
posted Hide Post
308 you will find ammo very common.
With a premium bullet in 150 gr the 308 is devastating.

The 7x57 is a class of it's own but you will find 308 ammo much more on the shelves in Africa.

Frederik Cocquyt
I always try to use enough gun but then sometimes a brainshot works just as good.

Posts: 2548 | Location: Pretoria, Gauteng, South Africa | Registered: 06 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I voted for the .260 Rem but IMHO the .260 Rem, 6.5x55, 7mm-08, and 7x57 are all excellent choices. To me, the advantage they have over the .25 caliber cartridges is that you can go up to a 160 gr bullet in the 6.5mm and up to a 175 gr in the 7mm. A 6.5x55 loaded with a 160 gr bullet at around 2300-2400 fps doesn't kick much at all. Yeah, even in this day of bullets like the Barnes TSX, I still like high sectional density bullets for hunting the larger plains game in the bushveld. I've done most of my plains game hunting with heavy Woodleigh round noses in the .30-06 (220gr), 8x57 (220gr), and 9.3x62 (286gr). I'm just an old fashioned kind of guy. Smiler

For more open terrain, any of these four cartridges can be loaded with a good bullet in the 130-140 gr (6.5mm) to 140-150 gr (7mm) range and have enough velocity to reach out fairly well but still without a lot of recoil.

Just my two cents...

-Bob F.

Posts: 3485 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 22 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of prof242
posted Hide Post
Spending too much time thinking and BF has said what I wanted very well. Size does matter both for the caliber and the shooter. The .260 has less recoil, yet bullets are available to overcome any shortage in diameter. The only problem I see is Dad wanting to use it after he finds out how well it shoots.

.395 Family Member
DRSS, po' boy member
Political correctness is nothing but liberal enforced censorship

Posts: 3490 | Location: Colorado Springs, CO | Registered: 04 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Woodmnctry
posted Hide Post
My $.02 goes for a .30 cal ---and in this case the .308 for a shorter bolt throw. I would go for a .30 cal over the others simply for the larger selection of available bullets. If the individual were a bit more physical in age and stature -- thence the 30-06 would be the winner --
All that said -- I do a lot of work (hunting) with disadvantaged kids and kids with life threatening illnesses -- the 6mm size of firepower has proven to be a big winner on antelope and deer sized critters -- I keep one in the truck when guiding as a backup -- it has accounted for enumerable critters over the years-- actually not sure how many -- but a 100 gr bullet @ 3000 fps is extremely effective on thin skinned critters up to 200lbs--- and the recoil on younger or inexperienced individuals is very manageable.

OMG!-- my bow is "pull-push feed" - how dreadfully embarrasing!!!!!

Posts: 932 | Location: 8K Ft in Colorado | Registered: 10 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Michael Robinson
posted Hide Post
Add my vote for the .308 Win. It's just what is needed here.

Mike

Wilderness is my cathedral, and hunting is my prayer.

Posts: 13633 | Location: New England | Registered: 06 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mho:
The 7x57 has an impeccable record in Africa. On top of that, it produces results with little recoil.

Ditto. A classic African cartridge for a hunt in Africa. Tough combination to beat.

Mike

Posts: 21696 | Registered: 03 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Cazador humilde
posted Hide Post
Put another vote in for me for the 7X57. Hornady was even making a Light Magnum round for it (which, I understand may defeat the purpose of choosing it over the 'O6, but would be handy for when he gets a little older), but I've had a tough time finding it lately. 'Don't know if they got scared of it getting into the older (antique) rifles.

Posts: 1278 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 31 May 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
A 7 x 57 is a great cartridge, problem is lack of availability in reasonabley priced rifle. I pick the 7mm-08, several factory loadings or easy to handload. Browning has micro hunter with shorterh length of pull and Remington and Savage have youth model. All of these rifles could be restocked economically when the hunter get's older. I purchased a youth model 70 in 7mm-08 for my daughter when she get's old enough to hunt. My wife has a single shot NEF in 7mm-08 youth model for dear hunting. Hopefully will get her a Browning or Remington in the near future in youth model.

Posts: 107 | Location: Canyon Lake, Texas | Registered: 07 August 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My sons have been shooting a 30-06 since they were 10.
While I have not been to Africa yet (09) I have been told that the 30-06 is commonly available and effective for plains game.
Seems like the right round to me

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
A 7 x 57 is a great cartridge, problem is lack of availability in reasonabley priced rifle.

On special request CZ will build one for you.
For more money Dakota in the States will build one for you.
Mine is custom build on a Mauser 98 action.

Warrior

Posts: 2273 | Location: South of the Zambezi | Registered: 31 January 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
There is no doubt the 7X57 mauser is an effective round for Africa's plains game, and is light on recoil for the tender! However, I simply do not like the 7X57 Mauser round, but that is a personal thing, and has nothing to do with anyon else's pick. If that floats your boat set sail!

I'm really a poor one to ask this question, because I started shooting centerfire rifle with an 03-A3 springfield chambered for 30-06, and the age of seven years, and 75 lbs body weight. The rifle belonged to my grandfather, and it was the only centerfire rifle in our house, along with a 22 single shot, and a 12 ga single barrel shotgun, and a 10 ga double shotgun, and I shot them all! IMO, as long as the rifle fits, the person the 30-06 would be my pick for anyone shooting plains game in Africa, full loads, not squibbs. 150 gr bullets for most things, but 180 gr bullets for wildebeast up through Eland, and very carefull shot placement on the Eland, wildebeast, and Zebra!

The 30-06 is a pussycat, with the 150s, and anyone can handle it with the 180s under hunting conditions. The key with a new shooter is to never let them shoot from a bench, till they get used to stump shooting on their hind legs!

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
My wife used a 308 in Zim with Federal factory loads with the 180 Barmes MRX for giraffe [head shot] and 2 kudu, she used 165 Trophy Bonded Bearclaws for zebra, wildebest and impala.

She used the 30-06 bbl of her drilling with Federal 180 Nosler partitions for kudu and warthog.

I shot Bushbuck honey badger and heyena with her 308.

It worked very well.

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of L. David Keith
posted Hide Post
I would suggest you let him try a .280 as it has the range, accuracy, light recoil and power to handle any of Africa's plains game. IMHO it is a little too stout for Duiker and under, but from Springbok to Wildebeast, it would be hard to beat. It is as loud as any other medium cartridge, but very manageable recoil, and that is paramount to your Son. Ammo is now loaded by most all of the name brand companies, and I have always preferred the 160 grain bullet. You can buy any of the standard models and get a youth stock for it. Once he's older, you can replace it with the original stock. If he avoids recoil problems, he should be able to shoot it very effectively. The .280 can manage close to long range shooting, and factory ammo is available from many sources. Years ago it was advertised as the cartridge that bridged the gap between the .270 and the 30-06. They should have said ".270 to 7 Mag. It is also a fine Deer and Elk cartridge. Good hunting, David

Gray Ghost Hunting Safaris
http://grayghostsafaris.com Phone: 615-860-4333
Email: hunts@grayghostsafaris.com
NRA Benefactor
DSC Professional Member
SCI Member
RMEF Life Member
NWTF Guardian Life Sponsor
NAHC Life Member
Rowland Ward - SCI Scorer
Took the wife the Eastern Cape for her first hunt:
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6881000262
Hunting in the Stormberg, Winterberg and Hankey Mountains of the Eastern Cape 2018
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/4801073142
Hunting the Eastern Cape, RSA May 22nd - June 15th 2007
http://forums.accuratereloadin...=810104007#810104007
16 Days in Zimbabwe: Leopard, plains game, fowl and more:
http://forums.accuratereloadin...=212108409#212108409
Natal: Rhino, Croc, Nyala, Bushbuck and more
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6341092311
Recent hunt in the Eastern Cape, August 2010: Pics added
http://forums.accuratereloadin...261039941#9261039941
10 days in the Stormberg Mountains
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/7781081322
Back in the Stormberg Mountains with friends: May-June 2017
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6001078232

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading" - Thomas Jefferson

Every morning the Zebra wakes up knowing it must outrun the fastest Lion if it wants to stay alive. Every morning the Lion wakes up knowing it must outrun the slowest Zebra or it will starve. It makes no difference if you are a Zebra or a Lion; when the Sun comes up in Africa, you must wake up running......

"If you're being chased by a Lion, you don't have to be faster than the Lion, you just have to be faster than the person next to you."

Posts: 6814 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: 18 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Since Zim regulations stipulate a minimum of 7mm for anything bigger than impala, I would have to vote for a 7mm or .308.

I grew up with a 1950 vintage bruno in 7x57, Under 7lbs weight and fitted me well - that rifle was a real joy. I killed my first elephant with it, first kudu, eland, etc. It wouldn't group well with any bullets under 160grn - but that was fine!

Just comparing my old 7mm with a fairly new CZ .308- the old Bruno is considerably trimmer in the action, and despite the action being longer, the metallwork of the old rifle is 1lb lighter (thinner barrel as well), and the stock is also alot thinner...

For "all round" plains game use you cannot beat the 7x64 (aka .280 rem) or a .308 Win- the .280 is just a bit more versitile than the old 7x57, especially if you are hunting in namibia Wink

The other option which a small 12 yo Girl used on a hunt with me earlier this year was a little CZ carbine in 7.62x39. More ammo than you can dream of in africa - and quite acceptable for impala, warthog and even kudu at sensible ranges...

Posts: 3026 | Location: Zimbabwe | Registered: 23 July 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have to vote for the 7X57 also. Hits hard yet is a pussy cat to shoot. If you have trouble running one down you could opt for it's smaller twin the 7mm08. You wouldn't be disappointed.
By the way, I'd make the same recommendation for an adult. The 7X57, or 7mm08, is all the gun you need for for most plains game and everything in the lower 48 states. Why put up with recoil when you don't need to?

TerryR

Posts: 1903 | Location: Greensburg, Pa. | Registered: 09 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
The next time I go (2008) my 11 year old son will be hunting with me. He is small for his age

The question suggests that RECOIL is an issue, that means that nothing bigger than a 7x57 should be considered. Federal loads a 140 gr Nosler Partion bullet to 2,660 fps. The recoil is light and a pleasure to shoot.

Warrior

Posts: 2273 | Location: South of the Zambezi | Registered: 31 January 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of HunterJim
posted Hide Post
I voted for the .308 Win as I have used it myself on four African hunts. It will kill things (with proper shot placement of course), and it makes up into a compact, light rifle.

You can start the shooter off with lighter bullet loads such as 125 or 130 grain, and move up to heavier hunting loads as he progresses.

The .300s have more cross-sectional area of their bullets than all the smaller calibers and they kill better (see for example Mike LaGrange's Ballistics in Perspective for documentation).

jim

if you're too busy to hunt,you're too busy.

Posts: 4166 | Location: San Diego, CA USA | Registered: 14 November 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My wife is about 5'2" and a lefty, so, I am having a 7x57 made up from a left hand ruger rifle. McCelland gun shop, in Dallas, is doing the work and we will see how it works out the 1st of November. I choose the caliber since I figure that the recoil would be mild; plus the barrel length could be reasonably short to minimize the lever arm.

Posts: 1138 | Location: St. Thomas, VI | Registered: 04 July 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I like the 7x57 or .308 for any size person other than the very young..

Short bolt throw is of no matter to me one way or the other, 1/8th or 1/4" inch throw is of no concern IMO..

Both .308 and 7x57 have light recoil, and the ability to kill an elephant with a properly placed bullet of proper construction.

For the very young and some females who may be recoil sensitive I prefer my 6x45 with a 75 gr. Barnes X at about 2900 FPS or the tried and true 250 Savage with either an 87 gr. bullet or a 100 gr. bullet.

If you keep the range under 150 to 200 yards the .222 and 223 are quit effective with a well placed 60 gr. Hornady, for up to deer size animals.

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 42158 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by L. David Keith:
I would suggest you let him try a .280 as it has the range, accuracy, light recoil and power to handle any of Africa's plains game. IMHO it is a little too stout for Duiker and under, but from Springbok to Wildebeast, it would be hard to beat. It is as loud as any other medium cartridge, but very manageable recoil, and that is paramount to your Son. Ammo is now loaded by most all of the name brand companies, and I have always preferred the 160 grain bullet. You can buy any of the standard models and get a youth stock for it. Once he's older, you can replace it with the original stock. If he avoids recoil problems, he should be able to shoot it very effectively. The .280 can manage close to long range shooting, and factory ammo is available from many sources. Years ago it was advertised as the cartridge that bridged the gap between the .270 and the 30-06. They should have said ".270 to 7 Mag. It is also a fine Deer and Elk cartridge. Good hunting, David

+1 thumb

Verbera!, Iugula!, Iugula!!!

Blair.

Posts: 8808 | Location: Sydney, Australia. | Registered: 21 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of wazza
posted Hide Post
In my opinion: If the 30-06 is on a list then go with it. You can use light loads if recoil sensitive, to heavy loads for bigger game. It is capable of taking out any of Africa's plains game and nobody will outgrow it.

Posts: 45 | Location: Pretoria, South Africa | Registered: 09 July 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Can't fault the thinking above, but let me throw a stone into the bush - 7.62x39 If it worked for Mikhael Kalashnikov, who am I to argue? popcorn

Posts: 408 | Location: Johannesburg, RSA | Registered: 28 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bryan Chick:
My wife is about 5'2" and a lefty, so, I am having a 7x57 made up from a left hand ruger rifle. McCelland gun shop, in Dallas, is doing the work and we will see how it works out the 1st of November. I choose the caliber since I figure that the recoil would be mild; plus the barrel length could be reasonably short to minimize the lever arm.

The recoil is indeed low as many ladies and children can attest to. Another factor not mentioned before is that for Stutzen-type rifles the 7 x 57 is ideal. Both Sako and CZ offered this calibre in such configuration and it proved to be extremely popular. Since the case capacity (volume of powder) is relatively small vs bore diameter the muzzle flash is a lot less in shorter barrels in comparison to those calibers with longer cases that hold more powder. Not to mention that the operating chamber pressure in a 7x57 is far lower than most of its high-pressure rivals.

Warrior

one of us
posted Hide Post
I voted for the 7mm08. I bought a Remington model Seven for my girlfriend a few years ago.I got her into hunting and she didn't like recoil much(still doesn't) and that's the only gun that fitted her right. I was concerned about recoil because the model Seven is such a light gun but so far no problems. She has successfully taken whitetail, mule deer cariboo and coyote with it.
Mike

Posts: 257 | Location: Canada | Registered: 29 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Warrior:
quote:
A 7 x 57 is a great cartridge, problem is lack of availability in reasonabley priced rifle.

On special request CZ will build one for you.
For more money Dakota in the States will build one for you.
Mine is custom build on a Mauser 98 action.

Warrior

I just found another manufacturer that is still making a 7x57 mm.
Quite a neat looking rifle.

VOERE-Kufsteiner Gerätebau und Handelsges.m.b.H.
Untere Sparchen 56
6330 Kufstein / Tirol
Austria

Phone: +43 5372 62547
Fax: +43 5372 65752

Mail: marketing@voere.de

Model 2155 is a decent priced classical hunting rifle. Original Mauser actions out of various productions are upgraded to new reliable hunting rifles. New stocks, barrels, triggers etc. are fitted finally all rifles are tested and proof shot. With the high grade finish all rifles are designed for rough conditions. There is a wide variety of options for model 2155 including the 7x57 mm. Among the options there is a synthetic stock. There are also a wide variety of options regarding stocks, barrels, safety, triggers. Model 2165 is the top-grade version. I noticed that Granite Arms Pty Ltd, Bendigo Australia, imports Voere rifles into their country.

Warrior

one of us
posted Hide Post
I voted for the 308. Reload and take a couple of hundred feet per second off if recoil is an issue.

JPK

Free 500grains

Posts: 4900 | Location: Chevy Chase, Md. | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
With an abundance of good bullets today, the caliber actually becomes less important and the quality of the rifle itself becomes more important in terms of the type components used, and the precision engineering in the final assembly to make it a working unit.

This makes me think that the Voere is a viable option, considering the precision that the Austrians are known for. All it needs then, is to top it off with an Austrian made Kahles scope.

The fast twist of the 7x57 mm (1 turn in 8.66")and its long throat makes it ideal for those 175 grain bullets, but for those that prefer to shoot at higher velocity, there are 130 grain bullets and all the other weights in between - 140 grainers, 150 grainers & 160 grainers; making it quite a flexible caliber to have for the reloader.

Warrior

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I go with the 7mm-08, although the 7x57mm is just as good. Main reason for the 7-08 is availability of new production firearms her in CONUS. Just be sure to use 140 grain bullets or heavier.

LLS

Posts: 996 | Location: Texas | Registered: 14 October 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 475Guy1
posted Hide Post
OBTW, there's a 7X57 in a Whitworth that's for sale at Chadick's.

Used to be 475Guy add about 2000 more posts

Posts: 245 | Registered: 15 September 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of juanpozzi
posted Hide Post
Any good 308 with a 20 inches barrel ,the scout design is really adecuated.Juan

www.huntinginargentina.com.ar FULL PROFESSIONAL MEMBER OF IPHA INTERNATIONAL PROFESSIONAL HUNTERS ASOCIATION .
DSC PROFESSIONAL MEMBER
DRSS--SCI
NRA
IDPA
IPSC-FAT -argentine shooting federation cred number2-

Posts: 6382 | Location: Cordoba argentina | Registered: 26 July 2004Reply With Quote