THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AFRICAN HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  African Big Game Hunting    First safari neurosis and stupid questions
Page 1 2 

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

First safari neurosis and stupid questions
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
The countdown to my first safari is now in the double digits. My wife and I will be hunting for a short 6 days in the Eastern Cape (10th anniversary trip), followed by Cape Town sightseeing and then London for several days as well. Deposits are paid. Hotels are booked. Flights are booked. Tour company in Cape Town is booked.

I've essentially pre-paid everything except meals while touring and trophy fees

I've plied outfitter with questions. I've plied Cape Town tour company with questions. I've bugged Steve at TWG with questions.

I'm getting ready to bug the hell out of a trophy shipping agent. . .

I've been reading this forum for years. . .

But I still don't even know what I don't know. I haven't traveled internationally since 2004 and 2005. When I traveled internationally then, I was a student with a backpack and Eurorail pass, staying in hostels and living frugally. I'm not traveling that way this time Smiler

Can everyone post their little tips and travel tips for international and Africa travel? Safari tips (not gratuity tips), things to take, leave behind, etc.?

I've bought power converters. Money belt, money clip. We are planning on just one bag, one bow case, and two small personal bags

How much cash to carry? Take partial USD and partial ZAR, or not worry about it? (Outfitter did recommend tipping camp staff in ZAR, so I'll need to get some at least)

Like I said, I don't even know what I don't know about AFrica travel. So please post any and all tips, random thoughts, etc.

Thanks!

Posts: 112 | Location: Hills of SW MO | Registered: 04 June 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
I envy you your fast-approaching visit to Africa. You will love it and dream of returning as you fly home.
Here is a very good place to start:

http://forums.accuratereloadin...22101325/m/869101261

There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.
– John Green, author

Posts: 16529 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Scott Powell
posted Hide Post
Just relax and take it all in.. :-)

I do the same as you have done - pay up 99% of all fees before I leave so I take a couple hundred in $20 bills. I've always tipped in USD but if the outfitter says ZAR is OK then I would follow his lead..

I would coordinate with your Outfitter about trophy fees - I have not paid trophy fees in cash in a long time.. Either wire transfer or paypal or similar from the states..

Tipping and trophy fees aside, I normally get a couple hundred in ZAR at FOREX at the airport before I leave to use when shopping in the local markets but for everything else I use a credit card... Visa & M/C are accepted at most all larger stores, restaurants, airport and hotels.

I have used ATM machines in RSA many times and never had an issue so I would not worry about carrying a bunch of cash..

There really isn't anything to worry about other than enjoying yourself.. RSA is a very modern country

Having spent my share of time working in the UK, I'd be more worried about London that South Africa... LOL!

"At least once every human being should have to run for his life - to teach him that milk does not come from the supermarket, that safety does not come from policemen, and that news is not something that happens to other people." - Robert Heinlein

Posts: 893 | Location: Akron, OH | Registered: 07 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Once you get on the plane, take a step back on the "planning" at least as far as Africa is concerned. Things there work on their own time, and don't get too worried if everything doesn't quite work out as planned.

I would bring about $1000 more than you think you will need. Hopefully you won't need it, but unforeseen taxes, airport charges, replacing something that broke or disappeared does happen.

Make sure you have the phone set up so that it will work in South Africa, and have your contact numbers pre entered.

Have fun

Posts: 10771 | Location: Minnesota USA | Registered: 15 June 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Showing up is 90% of it.
Money is no issue. I take cash and wire the rest.
Travel light as possible. They wash everything daily. Leave the clothes behind when you leave.

Take chewing gun, sun screen and batteries for whatever stuff needs batteries.

Tip in USD if the other money is not available. It does not matter.

Have fun.

Posts: 10264 | Location: Texas... time to secede!! | Registered: 12 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'm sure you will have a grand time, but remember there are many poor and desperate people in RSA, and tourist crime is a very real thing.

Never go out without a reliable and trusted guide, especially at night.

I'd check recent State Department Travel Advisories just to get an idea of the current situation.

If I were touring any of the sub-Sahara African cities, I would take a money belt, and include a throw-away wallet (old wallet with credit cards and such that are no longer usable. That way, if robbed at gunpoint or knifepoint, you can just give them that wallet. I would keep a little bit of rand in it, just to satisfy them.

Other than that, good luck and enjoy your trip.

BTW I have traveled to over 43 countries in almost every part of the world (excluding Oz) and I love to travel.

elliott.org is a forum set up by a travel editor of a major travel magazine and it has tons of valuable tips for travelers.

BH63

Hunting buff is better than sex!

Posts: 2205 | Registered: 29 December 2015Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My only advise is don't over pack. Go through your stuff and decide what you really don't need and leave it home. If it's a maybe, leave it. You will be well taken care of. Enjoy your time!

The only easy day is yesterday!

Posts: 2758 | Location: Northern Minnesota | Registered: 22 September 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of JCS271
posted Hide Post
Travel light and most importantly TAKE LOTS OF PICTURES! I brought my good Nikon digital slr with zoom lenses that stayed in the truck until "trophy shot" time. But much more importantly, I had with me at all times a little Nikon Coolpix camera that fit right in my pants pocket. I used it to take about four hundred snapshots (and video) as my adventure progressed. Those photos have surrounded me in my office and at home for the last five years, PRICELESS!

P.S. Buy a good quality micro flashlight and keep that with you at all times also. If an evening shot turns into a nighttime tracking situation then you will need the light with you and not back in the truck.

P.S.S. My Coolpix camera, my flashlight and GPS ALL use the same AA batteries which is very handy for packing and for emergency pillaging from one device to the other.

"The difference between adventure and disaster is preparation."
"The problem with quoting info from the internet is that you can never be sure it is accurate" Abraham Lincoln

Posts: 1626 | Location: Montana Territory | Registered: 27 March 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of AK145
posted Hide Post
My wife and I are 40 days out from a very similar trip...10th anniversary and we too will be hunting in the East Cape and traveling through Cape Town for a few days. I may have missed it, but which tour company are you booked with?

This will be my 5th time over...so I am certainly no expert but the best advice I can give you is to have a good time and leave the tape measurer at home. Don't get caught up in Roland Ward this and that...just shoot what the PH points out and enjoy the experience.

I have learned over the years to enjoy what Africa brings you on these trips which don't happen often enough so don't take anything for granted. Take lots of pictures of EVERYTHING including the plane, the food, the people...everything. You will really appreciate all the pictures when you are back sitting at your desk at work wishing you were back in Africa.

Have a great trip!

Posts: 217 | Location: Fairbanks, Alaska | Registered: 15 August 2011Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Wendell Reich
posted Hide Post
#3. You will pack too much. Next time, you will pack less.
#2. Leave tape measure at home. Let the PH tell you what is a good trophy FOR THEIR AREA! Shoot it and appreciate the animal and the experience.

Here is my #1 piece of advice.
#1. Do not get all wrapped around the axle about trophy shipping. It's Africa, and shipping will take forever (True or not, this should be your attitude, no matter what they tell you, just imagine that it will take an eternity). If they say 3 months, expect 6-9 and dont be surprised at 12-16.

I have seen people destroy their memory of a safari because the shipping took twice as long as they expected. We have had threads here on it, and it remains the biggest variable as far as timing goes. Type "A" guys get worked up because things don't move fast and people do not respond when you ask, "Where are my trophies and when will I see them?".

Let it happen. It will get here. Do not ask someone every two weeks where it is. Forget about it, one day, it will just arrive.

I can not stress enough how much grief I have seen people go through about this. It is unnecessary and unproductive. Your trophies are on the slowest conveyor belt in the world. They move at the speed of grass growing.

Now, that said, you might get them early, but being prepared to wait forever will save you an incredible amount of grief.

Posts: 6259 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: 13 July 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of cal pappas
posted Hide Post
Are you taking your rifle to London?
Cal

Cal Pappas, Willow, Alaska
www.CalPappas.com
www.CalPappas.blogspot.com
1994 Zimbabwe
1997 Zimbabwe
1998 Zimbabwe
1999 Zimbabwe
1999 Namibia, Botswana, Zambia--vacation
2000 Australia
2002 South Africa
2003 South Africa
2003 Zimbabwe
2005 South Africa
2005 Zimbabwe
2006 Tanzania
2006 Zimbabwe--vacation
2007 Zimbabwe--vacation
2008 Zimbabwe
2012 Australia
2013 South Africa
2013 Zimbabwe
2013 Australia
2016 Zimbabwe
2017 Zimbabwe
2018 South Africa
2018 Zimbabwe--vacation
2019 South Africa
2019 Botswana
2019 Zimbabwe vacation
2021 South Africa
2021 South Africa (2nd hunt a month later)

Posts: 7281 | Location: Willow, Alaska | Registered: 29 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I usually as k how many of of what gender camp staff will be and then take gifts to give out prior to the safari. Small things like wind up flashlights, gloves, bundles of new socks and of course American cigarettes. Just seems to start hitting off on a good foot.

Posts: 718 | Location: va | Registered: 30 January 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
#1) Have Fun
#2) See number 1
#3) See number 1

Aside from that:
a) Let your credit card company that you'll be doing international travel that way your card doesn't get 'blocked'
b) in addition to sunscreen take plenty of chapstick.

Wendell is right, don't get in a rush for trophies getting back. Africa time is different. Besides, it'll help in the savings of cost having the time lapse.

And post a report when you get back so those of us not going this year or next can get our Africa fix!!! Big Grin

Posts: 222 | Location: Peculiar, MO | Registered: 19 July 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post

If you really are worried about SA - don't be!

just don't crap in the wrong hole - something might bite you in the arse - lol

Posts: 217 | Location: BC - Canada | Registered: 08 January 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Don't tell yourself that this is the one and only time you will go to Africa Big Grin

Posts: 1078 | Location: oregon | Registered: 20 February 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
bakerb,

Since everyone is chiming in I might as well add a couple of things. First heed what Wendell told you. Fretting over the trophies can ruin your whole trip. Second I know everyone told you to not over pack but you are going to Capetown and London. Do take some smart casual wear for both places and a light rain coat for London plus a small umbrella. Seriously! We've laid over in London four times and the last time it rained or drizzled the whole time we were there. London is great with loads to see and a great walking town but you need to stay dry to enjoy it.

As Cal referred to if you are taking your own guns you'll need a service to hold your rifles while in London. I've used PDQ a couple of times with good results. They meet your flight, walk you through customs, safely hold your guns while you're in London, then meet you for the departing flight and walk you through the process. You only need this service when laying over in London. If you are flying through London on the way over you can just check your guns all the way through to JNB from the States.

Mark

MARK H. YOUNG
MARK'S EXCLUSIVE ADVENTURES
7094 Oakleigh Dr. Las Vegas, NV 89110
Office 702-848-1693
Cell, Whats App, Signal 307-250-1156 PREFERRED
E-mail markttc@msn.com
Check us out on https://www.facebook.com/pages...ures/627027353990716

Posts: 12917 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of boarkiller
posted Hide Post
It's all gonna be OK
Don't worry about future as you cannot see it and don't worry about the past as its already gone
Present is all we live in
Enjoy, you will have a hoot

" Until the day breaks and the nights shadows flee away " Big ivory for my pillow and 2.5% of Neanderthal DNA flowing thru my veins.
When I'm ready to go, pack a bag of gunpowder up my ass and strike a fire to my pecker, until I squeal like a boar.
Yours truly , Milan The Boarkiller - World according to Milan
PS I have big boar on my floor...but it ain't dead, just scared to move...

Man should be happy and in good humor until the day he dies...
Only fools hope to live forever
“ Hávamál”

Posts: 13376 | Location: In mountains behind my house hunting or drinking beer in Blacksmith Brewery in Stevensville MT or holed up in Lochsa | Registered: 27 December 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for all the replies. . .

AK145. . . we're touring Cape Town with African Sky. Includes pickup and dropoff at airport, 2 full days and 2 half days of tours, etc.

Cal. . . not taking a rifle through London. Taking a bow, and we're trying to figure out whether to use a company like PDQ to hold the bow while I'm there. Still researching this issue. I'll be renting a rifle from the outfitter to have handy, but mostly plan to bowhunt.

I'm not too worried about the packing. I will be sporting Sitka camo coats in London and Cape Town Smiler (My Sitka 90% jacket will be in my carry-on, and my Sitka down Kelvin jacket will be cushioning my bow in it's case)

Other than that, I have two pairs of Sitka hunting pants, and I'll have a casual pair of shorts and nice jeans for the touristy stuff. My solid-colored merino t-shirts will be worn while hunting and touring. So no worry there. Probably take one nice button up shirt, and that's it. One pair of leather mid-hikers which I'll wear on the plane, and a pair a tennis shoes. 3 pairs of merino thick socks for the boots, and 3 pairs of thin for the shoes.

My wife has purchased some hiker style quick-dry pants at REI, some Merrell hikers, and some other light, quick drying clothes. We wear the same merino socks, so we can double up there.

We've discovered Duluth Trading Company "Buck Naked" underwear Smiler Basically, most of our clothing is stuff that can be washed in a sink and hung-dry overnight. I've been wearing merino wool on western hunting trips for years, and am in love with it.

She's got her compact dual converter hair dryer and straightener.

I guess I'm not too neurotic about it for myself, as I've been on a few domestic hunting trips, and detours and mishaps happen. I'm more neurotic about making sure the trip goes well for my wife, as we've been planning this for 2 years, since June of 2014 when we made the first deposit, and we've had one hell of a rough 2 years. We lost our son January 1, 2015.

And this is our first attempt at a dual-purpose trip. If it goes well, I've been researching dual-purpose hunting/vacationing trips in Australia, Turkey, and Spain, so there's a lot riding on this Smiler

Thanks again for all tips. Keep 'em coming please!

Posts: 112 | Location: Hills of SW MO | Registered: 04 June 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Code4
posted Hide Post
Sounds like you have made every sensible preparation.

But are you overthinking it ?

If you have to plan every step and detail then you may miss those rare experiences that aren't planned for. Don't trap yourself. Africa runs on African time, not yours.

You have more chance of being T-Boned on the way to the airport than a major disaster hapening in Africa. Have you planned for being T-Boned ???

Good luck.

Edit: The plans are made, connections booked. Now relax.

Posts: 1432 | Location: Australia | Registered: 21 March 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Nakihunter
posted Hide Post
Make sure you have a full course of Doxicyclin for both of you!

Have fun!

"When the wind stops....start rowing. When the wind starts, get the sail up quick."

Posts: 11020 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 02 July 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Badger Matt
posted Hide Post
You're going to have a blast and so is your wife. Man, I wish I could convince my wife to join me in Africa...so much so I've enlisted my South African neighbors to the cause.

- Take TONS of pictures of everything; nature, tracks, dung, people (politely and with permission), food, quarters, etc... It'll come in handy for the awesome trip report you share with us.
- Attitude makes a difference when things don't go according to plan...and your team will "make a plan" to get things right.
- If something's not up-to-snuff, make it known quickly. They can't fix what they don't know is broken.
- Ask your wife, often, how she's enjoying the trip and what she'd like to do. My dad joined me on my trip to RSA and a "day off" mid-Safari was a God-send for both of us.

Have fun! You are experiencing something less than 1% of our population gets to do.

Posts: 1247 | Location: Simpsonville, SC | Registered: 25 June 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I totally agree with everything said above. I would add that I always get a prescription for a broad spectrum antibiotic and hydrocodone and take those with me. Oh yes, and don't forget imodium and wet wipes!

Have a blast and tell us about it when you get back
kh

Posts: 247 | Location: Round Rock, Texas | Registered: 02 May 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ahhh, the first time. I was a total neophyte, but had a fantastic time, ten safaris ago. Having a good partner is a big plus. Two people to figure out how to get to international departures, etc.

I like to use a knapsack for my carry-on. Frees up a hand.

You didn't mention shorts. I like 'em and don't care about the scratches.

Have copies of passport, tickets, cc's, etc.

Buy a copy of "Africa: A Biography of the Continent". Paper back. Thick. Covers history, geology, economy, etc. Read a little here and there. It will enhance your understanding and enjoyment.

Have the staff put flowers in the room for your wife, if possible. Make long, slow tender love to her.

I'm very sorry to hear about your loss. Maybe Africa will help. As the old Jewish lady said, "Couldn't hoight"

Posts: 2827 | Location: Seattle, in the other Washington | Registered: 26 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If you're in Capetown over a weekend, check out the Milnerton flea market. All types of oddball items at really fair prices, perfect for one-of-a-kind curios. Great view of Table Mountain.

One of Us
Picture of Upton O. Good
posted Hide Post
Wear your hunting footware on the plane and have a pair of slippers in your carryon (and a change of underwear). You cannot replace well worn in footwear if your luggage gets lost.

And remember TIA...This Is Africa. Things happen, go wrong or turn out far better than you ever planned. Just have fun, roll with the punches, your life is going to change a bit with this trip.

one of us
Picture of RAC
posted Hide Post
Don't over think. Quit being neurotic and go with the flow. Africa does not do well with over planning. Be flexible. Bring extra money. Shoot an extra warthog.

The only real problem I see is that you are only hunting for six days. Extend it to 10 if you can. It is easier to stay longer once you are already there.

Start planning your next trip.

I hunt, not to kill, but in order not to have played golf....

DRSS

Posts: 839 | Location: LA | Registered: 28 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I always considered the planning & anticipating as a large part of the fun!

LORD, let my bullets go where my crosshairs show.
Not all who wander are lost.
NEVER TRUST A FART!!!
Cecil Leonard

Posts: 2786 | Location: Northeast Louisianna | Registered: 06 October 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of AK145
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bakerb:
Thanks for all the replies. . .

AK145. . . we're touring Cape Town with African Sky. Includes pickup and dropoff at airport, 2 full days and 2 half days of tours, etc.

Cal. . . not taking a rifle through London. Taking a bow, and we're trying to figure out whether to use a company like PDQ to hold the bow while I'm there. Still researching this issue. I'll be renting a rifle from the outfitter to have handy, but mostly plan to bowhunt.

I'm not too worried about the packing. I will be sporting Sitka camo coats in London and Cape Town Smiler (My Sitka 90% jacket will be in my carry-on, and my Sitka down Kelvin jacket will be cushioning my bow in it's case)

Other than that, I have two pairs of Sitka hunting pants, and I'll have a casual pair of shorts and nice jeans for the touristy stuff. My solid-colored merino t-shirts will be worn while hunting and touring. So no worry there. Probably take one nice button up shirt, and that's it. One pair of leather mid-hikers which I'll wear on the plane, and a pair a tennis shoes. 3 pairs of merino thick socks for the boots, and 3 pairs of thin for the shoes.

My wife has purchased some hiker style quick-dry pants at REI, some Merrell hikers, and some other light, quick drying clothes. We wear the same merino socks, so we can double up there.

We've discovered Duluth Trading Company "Buck Naked" underwear Smiler Basically, most of our clothing is stuff that can be washed in a sink and hung-dry overnight. I've been wearing merino wool on western hunting trips for years, and am in love with it.

She's got her compact dual converter hair dryer and straightener.

I guess I'm not too neurotic about it for myself, as I've been on a few domestic hunting trips, and detours and mishaps happen. I'm more neurotic about making sure the trip goes well for my wife, as we've been planning this for 2 years, since June of 2014 when we made the first deposit, and we've had one hell of a rough 2 years. We lost our son January 1, 2015.

And this is our first attempt at a dual-purpose trip. If it goes well, I've been researching dual-purpose hunting/vacationing trips in Australia, Turkey, and Spain, so there's a lot riding on this Smiler

Thanks again for all tips. Keep 'em coming please!

We are booked with Africa Sky as well...been very happy with their correspondence, etc.

Posts: 217 | Location: Fairbanks, Alaska | Registered: 15 August 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Scott Powell
posted Hide Post
Rigid Flexibility baby!!!

"At least once every human being should have to run for his life - to teach him that milk does not come from the supermarket, that safety does not come from policemen, and that news is not something that happens to other people." - Robert Heinlein

Posts: 893 | Location: Akron, OH | Registered: 07 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Frostbit
posted Hide Post
I humbly recommend you rethink the Sitka Camo in the non-hunting part of the trip.

2015 His & Her Leopards with Derek Littleton of Luwire Safaris - http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/2971090112
2015 Trophy Bull Elephant with CMS http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/1651069012
DIY Brooks Range Sheep Hunt 2013 - http://forums.accuratereloadin...901038191#9901038191
Zambia June/July 2012 with Andrew Baldry - Royal Kafue http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/7971064771
Zambia Sept 2010- Muchinga Safaris http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/4211096141
Namibia Sept 2010 - ARUB Safaris http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6781076141

Posts: 7610 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 05 February 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Upton O. Good:
Wear your hunting footware on the plane and have a pair of slippers in your carryon (and a change of underwear). You cannot replace well worn in footwear if your luggage gets lost.

And remember TIA...This Is Africa. Things happen, go wrong or turn out far better than you ever planned. Just have fun, roll with the punches, your life is going to change a bit with this trip.

This is my recommendation also. Have your good footwear, change of underwear, binos, meds, camera with you not checked! You can hunt in whatever you have with you for a day or two until the luggage catches up with you.

I also recommend you don't wear camo on the plane or plan to wear it in London. You'll stand out more than you will care to.

Your wife sounds like a trooper and will probably deal with things quite well!

Though can't imagine the pain of losing your son! You both have all my respect and good wishes.

Best regards, D. Nelson

One of Us
Picture of Clan_Colla
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Frostbit:
I humbly recommend you rethink the Sitka Camo in the non-hunting part of the trip.

I concur ,leave the camo for the hunt
Also , consider support socks for the flight

Posts: 633 | Location: Texas | Registered: 30 December 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Here are a couple tips that have helped me over my many trips to the East Cape.

I got the best advice on this site about 10 years ago. "Leave your give a shit at home." Something will go wrong with the airports and travel. Especially coming back to the US even with a bow. I have seen many bow hunters have to check in with customs with us gun hunters and it can be frustrating. Go with the flow and don't let it ruin your experience.

Along with your electric converter, bring a light weight power strip so you can use and charge multiple devices at the same time. This saves weight and space.

The East Cape will have ticks while you are there. Spray your clothes before you leave with a permethrin spray like Sawyers. You lessen your chance of tick bite fever.

Bring a good medical kit with antibiotics for both sickness and tick bite fever(amoxicillin and doxycycline), cold meds and a stomach med such as Pepto and Zofran. You probably won't need it but if you do, you will be glad you had it.

Most of all, you will be surprised how easy it is to travel to the East Cape and Cape Town. While you are there you will have fun and at day 2, you will be planing another trip back. Enjoy

Posts: 88 | Location: Reno, NV | Registered: 02 July 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of fairgame
posted Hide Post
In the Eastern Cape you could probably pitch up in the clothes you are wearing and get everything else locally. Your PH will be your best advisor.

ROYAL KAFUE LTD
Email - kafueroyal@gmail.com
Tel/Whatsapp (00260) 975315144
Instagram - kafueroyal

Posts: 9901 | Location: Zambia | Registered: 10 April 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Bud Meadows
posted Hide Post
Some solid advice already given. Only thing I'd add is keep a diary while hunting. I notate things like meals served, critters seen, unusual events, etc. If you're like me, you'll quickly forget what happened on which day, unless you write it down. It also helps with your "African Hunting Report" if you chose to post it here on AR. Go in with a positive attitude, and you'll have a great trip.

Jesus saves, but Moses invests

Posts: 1384 | Location: Lake Bluff, IL | Registered: 02 May 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yes, keep a journal. Buy a decent, leather bound one. Keep it in a ziplock plastic bag to preserve it for future trips. Great way to save names, photo notes and contact info, too.

Posts: 2827 | Location: Seattle, in the other Washington | Registered: 26 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Wearing your hunting footwear on the plane; both going and returning is good advice.

I don't know if they are still doing this, but in 2003 when I returned from RSA, I had a pair of hunting boots in my check-in baggage. At the US Customs in Atlanta, they sprayed the boots with some kind of strong disinfectant (for hoof and mouth I believe), and then placed the boots in a plastic bag and returned them to my check-in bag. When I got home, several pairs of clothes were totally ruined (had holes eaten in them) from the disinfectant that had leaked out of the plastic bag. Lost some favorite hunting clothes due to that.

They also had a step-in disinfectant for the boots/shoes you were wearing, but that wasn't a problem as long as you keep your shoes off of your clothes.

Here is the latest Warnings from the Dept of State.

"CRIME: The majority of visitors to South Africa complete their travel without incident, but South Africa has a very high level of crime and crime is the primary security threat for travelers. Violent crimes, such as armed robbery, rape, carjacking, mugging, and "smash-and-grab" attacks on vehicles, are frequent and affect both visitors and residents alike.

Note: Visitors to the U.S. Embassy in Pretoria and U.S. Consulates General in Cape Town, Durban, and Johannesburg should be aware of the risk of muggings, several of which have occurred near U.S. diplomatic facilities. While measures have been taken to address concerns about potential muggings, visitors approaching U.S. government facilities should be aware of their personal security and carry as little money and valuables as possible.

Visitors and residents are advised that ongoing criminal activity involving organized crime such as assault, armed robbery, and theft, can be particularly high in areas around hotels and public transportation centers, especially in major cities. Theft of passports and other valuables is most likely to occur at airports, bus terminals, and train stations.

Criminal gangs target individuals and commercial businesses at shopping centers and other public places. Criminals sometimes follow targeted victims back to their residences or hotels where they are robbed. Such robberies often involve weapons and violence can quickly escalate, especially if you resist. If you are confronted by an armed assailant, give up your valuables."

There is no need to be paranoid, but I do believe being warned is being forearmed.

Have a grand trip.

BH63

Hunting buff is better than sex!

Posts: 2205 | Registered: 29 December 2015Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of shakari
posted Hide Post
I strongly suggest you don't take or wear ANY quick dry garment in Africa because pretty much none of them can be properly ironed and if it can't be ironed with a HOT iron the bot fly can lay it's eggs on the damp garment as it's being sun dried and then you can end up with a bot fly larvae in your body....... and if you don't know how unpleasant it is to have even one of those horrible things dug out of your body, just watch THIS

Every single item you take/wear/launder in Africa should be ironed before you wear it & cotton is the best option by a country mile.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
COMMUNICATE with your outfitter and PH and let them know what your expectations are. You're going to spend a ton of money and time; and, they need to know how you feel about things.

In my experience, the good operations will do what they can to make sure you have a good safari.

If you're not clear in your communication on what you consider a good product, you may regret it later.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks again for all the help and tips.

Just got off the phone with South Texas Fur Dressers, my taxidermist asked me to use them. They are sending trophy tags and information for outfitter

At this point, we're having a LOT of fun thinking and planning about the trip. African Sky contact has sent me a list of fine dining establishments in Cape Town. . . Just lots of fun looking and planning and thinking about the trip.

I guess maybe neurosis was the wrong word Smiler I'm not as neurotic as I seem. We both just have a lot of fun thinking and planning the trips, and it provides a good outlet for day to day life frustrations

When we travel, we like to schedule and plan certain things, but we do also like to go with the flow as well. We always like to schedule some things, but leave other times blank for things that come up while on the trip. Our last few big trips within the states have been very enjoyable doing it this way

Our first few trips as a married couple were disasters of unpreparedness. Getting caught in a gay pride parade in Chicago is one example, because we had no clue where we were going Smiler

So now we try to prepare enough to avoid some things, but not so much that we have a rigid schedule to abide by. . .

Thanks again, and keep them coming if you have any more. I've really enjoyed this thread, and it's given me some good ideas

B