Find
Notify
Tools

Best Eating African Game
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of jorge
posted Hide Post
I have to go with eland, although I loved the Sable and the chicken-fried wildebeest. Hell it's hard to decide! jorge

Posts: 7145 | Location: Orange Park, Florida. USA | Registered: 22 March 2001Reply With Quote
<Juneau>
posted
I'm suprised no one mentioned (at least I didn't see it) - Oryx/Gemsbok. Had Eland and Oryx steaks at the same meal - very hard to tell the difference. Here's a couple that I enjoyed that are a little different:

Small pieces of Buffalo liver rolled in flour and fried crispy. Eat them like popcorn around the camp fire as a snack.

OX tail soup - made from the tail of the Buffalo

Eland Tongue - Boiled until tender, split and peel skin, slice meat into 1/2 inch pieces, add to a thick brown gravey and served over noodles. Tongue meat can be cut with a fork.

Lets Eat! [Smile]

<mikeh416Rigby>
posted
quote:
Originally posted by Safari-Hunt:
None of you mention bushbuck from all the game I think bushbuck is on top with eland. The meat actually never gets tough they don't run a lot trough their life just slip around bushes and vanish !

If ever you get a cahnce try it you won't be dissapointed.

Safari-Hunt
See my post 9 spots above yours-I've got bushbuck in there. [Razz]
www.Safari-Hunt.com

one of us
Picture of Deerdogs
posted Hide Post
What about a nice braised croc tail stew? mmmmmmm.

Posts: 1978 | Location: UK and UAE | Registered: 19 March 2001Reply With Quote
<mikeh416Rigby>
posted
quote:
Originally posted by Deerdogs:
What about a nice braised croc tail stew? mmmmmmm.

[Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin] I absolutely, positively, will not comment on someone from Britain recommending food.

Picture of Canuck
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Russell E. Taylor:
Out of curiosity, how do all you folks have your meat prepared... well done, medium well, medium, medium rare, rare... or just waved somewhere close to a heat source???

Russ

As my Pa used to say (still says)..."Knock the horns off, wipe its ass, put it on a plate."

Seriously, though, I prefer mine rare, but I'll enjoy a good cut anywhere from blue rare to medium rare.

Raw organs....guess that must be an aquired taste. [Roll Eyes]

[Smile] Canuck

Posts: 7121 | Location: The Rock (southern V.I.) | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
Picture of Canuck
posted Hide Post
To answer the original question, my favorite was Eland filet, particularly when served with pumpkin puffs and red wine. MMMmmmm, mmmmmmmmmmmm! Alma (the cook at Landelani) will always hold a special place in my heart for that one!!

I also thoroughly enjoyed the Gemsbok, Kudu, Hartebeeste and Impala.

Kudu kabobs (susate) on the braai were mouth watering, to say the least. Washed down with Hansa Pilsner....ohhhhhhhh, so, so good!

And the Snook! Fantastic!!

I gained somewhere between 8 and 10 lbs on this trip. Even walking all day after Eland was mild compared to Elk, Goat or Sheep hunting, so I don't think I burned a large amount of calories compared to the hunting I am used to. I certainly put away about 3 times the food I am used to though!

To sum up my feelings on African cuisine, when it comes to Eland filet, "my gastronomic capacity knows no satiety.". (Homer Simpson)

[Smile] Canuck

[ 06-25-2002, 06:48: Message edited by: Canuck ]

Posts: 7121 | Location: The Rock (southern V.I.) | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
My second favorite African game is Oryx - we have a lot of the Scimitar-Horned variety in Texas. BTW what it everybody's favorite wine to wash down all this wonderful red meat? Mine is Caymus or Silver Oak Cabernet (when I can afford it). To chase down feathered meat I prefer Domaine Carneros Famous Gate Pinot Noir or a Drouhine Pinot Noir from Oregon.

Posts: 258 | Location: Houston, Texas, USA | Registered: 18 March 2002Reply With Quote
<DavidP>
posted
After a hard days chasing Buff in the thick stuff, it ALL tastes good! Especially with an ice cold Castle! MMmmmmmm......