Find
Notify
Tools

Blaauwkrantz 2011
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of LittleJoe
posted
I am headed to Blaauwkrantz at the end of June to hunt with the Rudman's. This is my first trip to Africa and I can hardly wait. I am counting the days. Just wondering what advice any of you might have. Things you wish you would have done while in Africa, things you did that you would not do again, etc. Any thoughts or advice would be much appreciated.

Posts: 1355 | Registered: 04 November 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BNagel
posted Hide Post
Look for two hunt reports I've already done...

Posts: 4882 | Location: Bryan, Texas | Registered: 12 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Joe, You will love the hospitality of the Rudman family. That was also my first trip to Africa 10-12 years or so ago. Their property is beautiful and bountiful, and the accommodations are 2nd to none. Have a great time, take lots of pix, and shoot straight!

Posts: 20161 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BNagel
posted Hide Post
Can you shoot to 200 yards off BOTH long and short shooting sticks? Take a small bottle of water along, everywhere. You will have a hard time keeping up with tracker + PH, and they'll be talking in Afrikaans or Xhosa. Use your own set of binos and try to get the same angle as them -- to see what they are looking at. Treat taxidermy options as separate from your hunt experience. As a high volume operation, they are going to handle your trophies as they see fit (not as you direct). Let them take care of you, watch your gun barrel (safe direction) and take your own cameras along with three cards. If you leave the truck with sunglasses on, make sure you have your regular pair along -- you may be sitting somewhere until too dark to shoot with sunglasses. Layer your clothing, including headgear. Take along a shot target from 25 yards ,-- they will ask you to check your scope/rifle at their short range at camp. Take along an owl-ear front bag filled with plastic pellets -- I HATED the bench + sawdust bag they used. Eat all the biltong you can handle there, finish the rest on the plane before clearing customs. Leave your politics at home and just be a guest. Take M&M's and Rand for the staff. Drink water from the time you get on the plane until you are back home. See how you handle Ambien/whatever and Larium/whatever before the trip -- some hallucinate/whatever. Trinette cooks more fancy stuff and Zanie knows how to do chicken-fried venison because my wife taught her.

Posts: 4882 | Location: Bryan, Texas | Registered: 12 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
DO NOT take Larium! Get your doctor to prescribe you Malarone.

Aaron Neilson
Global Hunting Resources
303-619-2872: Cell
globalhunts@aol.com
www.huntghr.com

Posts: 4888 | Location: Boise, Idaho | Registered: 05 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Little Joe: My wife and I and 3 other couples are off to Blaauwkrantz on June 10 for our 6th trip...we love the place and the Rudman's. You will have more fun that you ever imagined. They are in a malaria free area so you don't need any malaria medication unless you are going someplace else before coming home. The remodeled their lodge last year (made a veranda into the "Bushpig Bar"....I don't know which PH you'll have but if you get Eardley, be prepared to walk. PM if you need or want more info.

Karl Evans

Posts: 2901 | Location: Emhouse, Tx | Registered: 03 February 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
malaarone for me was as bad as larium. doxy works well for me

Posts: 13461 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of L. David Keith
posted Hide Post
Larium never bothers me, I love seeing pink elephants and purple buffalo hiding in trees Smiler

Gray Ghost Hunting Safaris
http://grayghostsafaris.com Phone: 615-860-4333
Email: hunts@grayghostsafaris.com
NRA Benefactor
DSC Professional Member
SCI Member
RMEF Life Member
NWTF Guardian Life Sponsor
NAHC Life Member
Rowland Ward - SCI Scorer
Took the wife the Eastern Cape for her first hunt:
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6881000262
Hunting in the Stormberg, Winterberg and Hankey Mountains of the Eastern Cape 2018
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/4801073142
Hunting the Eastern Cape, RSA May 22nd - June 15th 2007
http://forums.accuratereloadin...=810104007#810104007
16 Days in Zimbabwe: Leopard, plains game, fowl and more:
http://forums.accuratereloadin...=212108409#212108409
Natal: Rhino, Croc, Nyala, Bushbuck and more
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6341092311
Recent hunt in the Eastern Cape, August 2010: Pics added
http://forums.accuratereloadin...261039941#9261039941
10 days in the Stormberg Mountains
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/7781081322
Back in the Stormberg Mountains with friends: May-June 2017
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6001078232

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading" - Thomas Jefferson

Every morning the Zebra wakes up knowing it must outrun the fastest Lion if it wants to stay alive. Every morning the Lion wakes up knowing it must outrun the slowest Zebra or it will starve. It makes no difference if you are a Zebra or a Lion; when the Sun comes up in Africa, you must wake up running......

"If you're being chased by a Lion, you don't have to be faster than the Lion, you just have to be faster than the person next to you."

Posts: 6814 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: 18 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BNagel:
Can you shoot to 200 yards off BOTH long and short shooting sticks? Take a small bottle of water along, everywhere. You will have a hard time keeping up with tracker + PH, and they'll be talking in Afrikaans or Xhosa. Use your own set of binos and try to get the same angle as them -- to see what they are looking at. Treat taxidermy options as separate from your hunt experience. As a high volume operation, they are going to handle your trophies as they see fit (not as you direct). Let them take care of you, watch your gun barrel (safe direction) and take your own cameras along with three cards. If you leave the truck with sunglasses on, make sure you have your regular pair along -- you may be sitting somewhere until too dark to shoot with sunglasses. Layer your clothing, including headgear. Take along a shot target from 25 yards ,-- they will ask you to check your scope/rifle at their short range at camp. Take along an owl-ear front bag filled with plastic pellets -- I HATED the bench + sawdust bag they used. Eat all the biltong you can handle there, finish the rest on the plane before clearing customs. Leave your politics at home and just be a guest. Take M&M's and Rand for the staff. Drink water from the time you get on the plane until you are back home. See how you handle Ambien/whatever and Larium/whatever before the trip -- some hallucinate/whatever. Trinette cooks more fancy stuff and Zanie knows how to do chicken-fried venison because my wife taught her.

I've considered using Blaauwkrantz for my first trip to Africa (wife my wife along as an observer)... but other than chicken-fried, I honestly can't tell if your comments here are intended to be positive, negative, or neutral.

Posts: 257 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: 18 July 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Osage  Taxidermy
posted Hide Post
little joe Whatch ur self with these guys

Osage Taxidermy
Hastings Ne
402 984 0855
osagetaxidermy.com

One of Us
Picture of BNagel
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mrjulian_1970:
I've considered using Blaauwkrantz for my first trip to Africa (wife my wife along as an observer)... but other than chicken-fried, I honestly can't tell if your comments here are intended to be positive, negative, or neutral.

I love the Rudmans and Dixies. Read the hunting reports if in doubt.

One of Us
Picture of CBNHNTR
posted Hide Post
I took my family there on our first African hunt. The Rudman’s were very welcoming and charming hosts. The guides and trackers were knowledgeable and patient. Allot of game on their ranch. They will hunt at your capability, long walks or long truck drives, up to you. This is a high volume operation but that is not all bad. They have things down pat and few surprises. Not really wild Africa but not shooting in a pen either. If you get a chance, do plan to go to Addo Elephant Park (day trip) or the Cheetah farm (1/2 day). The Rudman’s place is located just outside of Port Elizabeth RSA and is in a NON MALARIA zone. Weather end of June will be chilly in the morning and evening so you will need a jacket but will warm up nicely in the middle of the day. We were there mid June and the weather was wonderful. You can get a bit of rain (light) so you may want to pack a light waterproof jacket. You will need a broad brimmed hat and sunscreen as well as sunglasses (buy a pair at a motorcycle store with the foam seal inside) not just for the sun but for the truck rides (especially if you ride in the back) as you will kick up a bit of dust.
I took my .300 Win mag with 180grain accubonds and it was plenty for everything from bushbuck to zebra without a problem.
They run a commercial sheep operation so they have a big walk-in freezer and salting shed on the place. I had no problem with trophy preparation. I used their export company to deliver the cargo to Houston and experienced no problems. If I had to do it again, I would have had my taxidermy (especially the European mounts and rugs) done in RSA as the prices there are much less expensive?
If need more information just PM.
Regards,
Mario

Posts: 162 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 27 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of LittleJoe
posted Hide Post
Osage, can you explain a little more?

Thanks for the input from everyone else. I cannot wait to go.

I have great binocs, every confident in the guns and loads. Don't mind walking, and they will probably not like it to much but I take more than my fair share of pictures.

I was told to take just two sets of clothes? They will wash them every day?

One of my concerns is that it will not be wild Africa like in Zim and some of the places my other buddies have been. I knew that up front but at the time we booked there were four hunters and two wives going. Now there is just me and a buddy. I have met Arthur and Zani and feel really good about what they do after meeting them face to face but I have a little lingering doubt about wild Africa as far as not seeing lions, leopards, elephants, giraffes etc but it sounds like they have thousands of animals and over 40 species to hunt.

I am planning on bringing home everything for my taxidermist as I am very picky and want it a specific way for my trophy room.

Hopefully I can enjoy what I consider wild Africa when I go back for Buff and Hippo or something like that. I am still ecstatic about this trip none the less. Just counting down the days.

For those of you that have hunted there. What is reasonable to expect in regards to what will be harvested. I have had everyone tell me you will shoot 80% of what you have on the list in your mind and another four or so animals that were not on the list but you could not resist when given the chance.

I was planning on taking my 375 and 300RUM. I was thinking of using the 375 exclusively since it shoots solids and softs the same. I just don't want the big gaping hold left by the Accubond in the little animals. Thougths?

I appreciate all of your input and advice.

one of us
posted Hide Post
[quote]I was planning on taking my 375 and 300RUM. I was thinking of using the 375 exclusively since it shoots solids and softs the same. I just don't want the big gaping hold left by the Accubond in the little animals. Thougths?

Use solids for the little guys. Works very well.
Frank

Posts: 6935 | Location: hydesville, ca. , USA | Registered: 17 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of LittleJoe
posted Hide Post
Frank, thanks for the comment. My buddy said the same thing. Use the 300 as a backup and use the 375 with solids for all the little stuff.

I appreciate all of your comments.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Your .300 is more than enough gun for anything you might shoot at the Rudman's place (but I took my .375 on my first trip and shot several animals with it, inlcluding a duiker with a 260 gr Accubond with no hide damage)...if you want to see lions and elephants, take a day trip to nearby Addo elephant park or to another nearby game reserve to see lions and such, you will see herds of Blesbok and Impala that will remind you of an old Tarzan movie...really a great place to hunt.
osage taxidermy: I, too, wonder what your post refers to, could you elaborate a bit?

Karl Evans

Posts: 2901 | Location: Emhouse, Tx | Registered: 03 February 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the favourable words posted by all.
However I am also interested to know exactly what Mr Mike Pebeck meant? We have never met you nor have we ever had a hunter from Nebraska here,so maybe you have confused us with someone else?
Each year almost 60% of our hunters are repeat clients...so I guess that does mean "watch out" for a good thing!
Little Joe we look forward to having you here at Blaauwkrantz!

Eardley Rudman

Posts: 47 | Location: Eastern Cape, South Africa | Registered: 01 October 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of LittleJoe
posted Hide Post
Eardley, I cannot wait to get there. Been following the news and updates on the website and just counting the days. I am ecstatic to say the least. Just nervous but a good nervous. I think excited would be a better word than nervous. Other than a Kudu, I plan on just sitting back and enjoying and whatever we take is great. I am glad I don't absolutely have this animal or that animal to be a success so it is going to be awesome.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Sic 'em, Eardley

Karl Evans

one of us
Picture of graybird
posted Hide Post
Leave the tape measure at the house! Who cares!!!

Take extra money, there is always something that will peak your interest once you see one in the field!

Never look a gift horse in the mouth! Don't pass on something the first day, you wouldn't take on the last day.

Check your furstrations at the gate in the U.S. Africa is Africa! Go with the flow and enjoy the trip.

Graybird

"Make no mistake, it's not revenge he's after ... it's the reckoning."

Posts: 3722 | Location: Okie in Falcon, CO | Registered: 01 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'm not sure if you are only hunting the Blaauwkrantz property in the Eastern Cape. If so I don't see why you will need malaria meds at all.

Posts: 224 | Location: South Africa | Registered: 15 July 2008Reply With Quote