Tools

First observations about SCI
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of tanks
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Kathi:...
Hunt with Donald Trump Jr. sold to floor for $150,000.

Wonder how the logistics works with the Secret Service. They don't allow you to touch a gun until the last second and keep you targeted when you do?
I wonder.

Posts: 1083 | Location: Southern CA | Registered: 01 January 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tanks:
quote:

Wonder how the logistics works with the Secret Service. They don't allow you to touch a gun until the last second and keep you targeted when you do?
I wonder.

Excellent question. I know for fact that the secret service had 18 rooms at the Peppermill.

Posts: 12094 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: 26 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of boarkiller
posted Hide Post
Secret Service...Busiest during hunting seasons serving the hunting widows?

" Until the day breaks and the nights shadows flee away " Big ivory for my pillow and 2.5% of Neanderthal DNA flowing thru my veins.
When I'm ready to go, pack a bag of gunpowder up my ass and strike a fire to my pecker, until I squeal like a boar.
Yours truly , Milan The Boarkiller - World according to Milan
PS I have big boar on my floor...but it ain't dead, just scared to move...

Man should be happy and in good humor until the day he dies...
Only fools hope to live forever
“ Hávamál”

Posts: 13376 | Location: In mountains behind my house hunting or drinking beer in Blacksmith Brewery in Stevensville MT or holed up in Lochsa | Registered: 27 December 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My first SCI Convention was in 1993, and I have not missed one since. My wife and I were there on Wednesday and Thursday this year, and both of us felt like it was the best one we have ever been to, largely because of the old friends and new that we saw and talked to. A lot of the previous posts have valid complaints. The floor layout was awkward, with many isles that stopped and started, not running full length. This is the first time I have seen it this way, so it had to be a convention center issue, not an SCI issue. The address signage on the floor was very good, for a change. As others have mentioned, Charlton-McCallum safaris was hard to find. If not for some help from Mark Vallaro at the Chifuti booth, and a text from Myles, I would have been hard-pressed to find it. I also thought that Wednesday was busier than normal, but Thursday seemed about the same as usual. We took advantage of the good weather, and made the 10-hour drive, but Las Vegas is a lot shorter trip, without the risk of Reno's high-elevation weather. Some exhibitors seemed to always be busy, but there were many others, including some big names, that were very quiet. One exhibitor seemed to think that his lack of business was largely due to President Donald Trump's elephant policies, even though own-use and many tuskless licenses are not affected. I got to meet a few names from AR, including Infinito, who seemed to be one of the always-busy ones. The celebrity attendees seemed fewer, but I was able to meet and talk to the Buchanans and Chad Allen in the Swift Bullets booth. At my age, hugs from Melissa Bachman and Michele Buchanan are about as good as it gets. Thanx, ladies.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have attended 12 of the last 13 SCI conventions and one DSC convention during that period. Last year was the one I missed. All of the ones held in Reno, including this year, have all seemed the same to me. I didn't see anything I would consider "measurably" different at this year's event.

The venue is, what it is. It's an outdated convention facility with outdated infrastructure. Given the state of today's convention industry, the Reno facility is simply not competitive, nor is it user friendly to exhibitors or attendees. Air travel problems compound this exponentially.

The hotels in Reno that cater to the event have almost all been renovated at least once since the early days, but they'll never be Vegas or Dallas quality. Ditto the restaurants. It's just the way things are in Reno.

I think it is both difficult and a little unfair to compare a convention in Reno with some of the other venues many of us are familiar with. I suppose this year was a little more user friendly, I just don't know how to measure it. It is important to say, however, that ANY government owned/managed facility will NEVER offer the same product as a private facility. You're just not going to get a comparable product.

I will give a big shout out to the shuttle operation. Whoever puts that together in Reno knows what they're doing. And the drivers and other shuttle staff were great. This is an area in which Reno surpasses Vegas in my view.

It was my impression that Wednesday was lighter than in years past. I was able to walk unimpeded from one end of the place to the other, gaining access to all the stops I had planned. I got all my shopping done in about 3 hours, ( 2 trips and a shotgun ).

The several outfitters I know who share their details with me have almost all indicated that the trend seems to be that an increasing number of bookings occur at Dallas, probably for 2 reasons. First, the exhibitor list is becoming almost identical. And secondly, experienced clients are getting the preferred hunt dates and flights at the Dallas show, not wanting to wait until SCI. This is anecdotal, but it's what I've been told.

I agree the traffic pattern was a little strange, as others have mentioned. As one with considerable experience in planning and providing security for events such as this, I am surprised the fire marshal bought off on the floor plan. I also noticed a few choke points near exits that I thought were unsafe. Signage left a lot to be desired, and there were some minor errors in the program.

I saw a few booths that were being shared by more than one "outfit", as well as a few "suitcase outfitters" engaged in side-bar sales pitches.

Secret Service? If someone said they had 18 rooms at the Peppermill, where I stayed, they also had other assets elsewhere. As for how they handle hunts with their protectees, the guests are well vetted first, and very closely watched while in the field with guns present. It's not that difficult. And that's all I'm going to say about that.

My view as an attendee is that the conventions held at the Mandalay facility have been the best all around. Comparatively, the one held at the Vegas Convention center left much to be desired. I look forward to going again next year. I also look forward to those to be held in Nashville. It's a great town with great facilities that knows how to put on a convention.

Best to you all..........TWL

114-R10David

Posts: 1753 | Location: Prescott, Az | Registered: 30 January 2007Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

I wonder.

I have absolutely no wish to hunt with a celebrity, even if you paid me.

And getting the secret service involve to tell me how to handle my gun??

I suppose it will make some selfish idiot happy to brag about it.

Not me.

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 68668 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of fairgame
posted Hide Post
quote:
I know for fact that the secret service had 18 rooms at the Peppermill.

Was that supposed to be a secret?

ROYAL KAFUE LTD
Email - kafueroyal@gmail.com
Tel/Whatsapp (00260) 975315144
Instagram - kafueroyal

Posts: 9954 | Location: Zambia | Registered: 10 April 2009Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by fairgame:
quote:
I know for fact that the secret service had 18 rooms at the Peppermill.

Was that supposed to be a secret?

In today’s age, it does not matter.
One believe what one wishes, even outright lies clap

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 68668 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jorge
posted Hide Post
I would love to hunt with Donald Trump jr. Met him very briefly at the Weatherby banquet and he was a real nice gent. Love his dad, too Smiler

USN (ret)
DRSS Verney-Carron 450NE
Cogswell & Harrison 375 Fl NE
Sabatti Big Five 375 FL Magnum NE
DSC Life Member
NRA Life Member

Posts: 7149 | Location: Orange Park, Florida. USA | Registered: 22 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Saeed:
quote:
quote:

I wonder.

I have absolutely no wish to hunt with a celebrity, even if you paid me.

And getting the secret service involve to tell me how to handle my gun??

I suppose it will make some selfish idiot happy to brag about it.

Not me.

Well Hell

I guess I am off your list...

Big Grin

Posts: 2857 | Location: FL | Registered: 18 September 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I no longer attend SCI but instead go to DSC. Why, many reasons, don’t like Reno seems dirty run down and dated. SCI seemed way too much about dollars and way too much about their record book almost to an obsession, also it seemed to me that the leadership was living high on the membership dues. Love Dalls, easier to get to, cleaner, nicer, better places to eat, nicer hotels, friendlier people and staff at show, all good at least for me.

one of us
posted Hide Post
This year was far better for me than last but I think the show was poorly attended and exhibitors had mixed results at most. Everybody is happy the show will return to Vegas for two years and hope it stays there.

It did seem that two points I brought up with a Convention organizer last year were heard. I told him about the very nice breakfast buffet that DSC offers the exhibitors and that it just makes the exhibitors feel appreciated. Well! SCI offered a breakfast buffet but it really was a rather meager attempt. The continental breakfast at a chain hotel would be a step up. I also mentioned to this guy that the people hired to keep the bathrooms tidy were scary. This year the bathroom attendants were clean, neat and paying attention to their job.

Mark

MARK H. YOUNG
MARK'S EXCLUSIVE ADVENTURES
7094 Oakleigh Dr. Las Vegas, NV 89110
Office 702-848-1693
Cell, Whats App, Signal 307-250-1156 PREFERRED
E-mail markttc@msn.com
Check us out on https://www.facebook.com/pages...ures/627027353990716

Posts: 13008 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jorge:
I would love to hunt with Donald Trump jr. Met him very briefly at the Weatherby banquet and he was a real nice gent. Love his dad, too Smiler

And here I thought you were going to vote for Bernie...

Don't Ever Book a Hunt with Jeff Blair
http://forums.accuratereloadin...821061151#2821061151

Posts: 7577 | Location: Arizona and off grid in CO | Registered: 28 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My thoughts on this year SCI having been super critical last year is that they have seen where they went wrong and are trying to some what get it back on track.

There were several nice changes-
1/ Breakfast for the exhibitors ( despite not been advertised)
2/Several young SCI representatives helping out and genuinely concerned how the show was going for you- which was a nice change
3/Better sales

On a negative side after 16 odd years exhibiting we were placed in probably the worst spot we ever had and our 1400 isle did not even have an isle number for the first day. There was also a huge wall dividing it. We received several emails from clients who never found us!

Reno is simply NOT the place for the show so roll on Vegas.

Last year we decided if the show was as dismal this year we were going to call it quits- as it is we will attend again next year in Vegas- In summary I feel that there was a noticeable improvement from SCI and the "new blood" is making a difference- so well done SCI

Posts: 1128 | Location: Zimbabwe | Registered: 22 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I attended again this year and thought there might have been a slight increase in attendance, Buzz and Myles were, indeed, in a crappy location. I honestly believe Laird Hamberlin (new ED)and Steve Skold, both of whom I know and trust, really are thinking about the exhibitors and attendees and how to improve the "show experience". As an aside, the convention center apparently charged for every little thing...one friend/exhibitor told me that during move in an SCI volunteer offered them carpet for their booth from his carpet shop for FREE as he had an extra 10x10 piece in his truck. Don't think that has happened in the past. I honestly hope that sort of thing happens more and more.

Karl Evans

Posts: 2899 | Location: Emhouse, Tx | Registered: 03 February 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I drove from northern montana and stayed in sparks,way cheaper.We were there for the 4 days and 3 dinner nites.I've been going since 1989 to the convention and always enjoy it.Usually talk others to go and they are always shocked by the size of the hunting industry. Friends from medicine hat,alberta booked a new Zealand trip for stag and he has never shot anything bigger than a ground squirrel.He also booked a trip with Baja hunting to go 500 miles on the baja trail in their decked razors with his wife. I think the show was pretty good,only draw back is when 2 mixed drinks set me back for $33. Hip flask after that,beach boys were great and amazed that Charlie daniels is 83 years young.Trump jr should run for preiz and piss the liberals off on this site.

Posts: 371 | Location: northcentral mt | Registered: 25 May 2010Reply With Quote
One Of Us
posted Hide Post
I was really surprised at the Live Auction area this year.... a big tent that extended from end of convention center to Atlantis...heated, and tables for 8, in a room that was probably 200 feet wide and 5-600 feet long...and FULL each day...maybe 1000 attendees, or more from 11:30-2pm that were NOT on the floor!! The few items I went in to bid on, northern Moose hunts went sailing right by the Donor's Estimated Values!! People were buying at the Auction and they were also taking Internet bids during the live bidding.
They had trays of peanuts in the shells, popcorn and bars set up to keep everyone lubricated and happy!!
This has a big impact on attendance on the floor during the auctions!!
The only thing I can figure is that high-rollers buy these hunts as a "Donation to SCICF"...and take the whole deduction at tax time??
The auction hunt donated by Keegan McCarthy, Alaska outfitter on his yacht, for 2 Sitka Blacktail deer and sea ducks for each parent/child...with Donald Trump Jr. and his son as hosts, went for $190,000 and a second cabin was offered...went for $150,000!!
The DJT Jr speech on Saturday evening was SPECTACULAR....simply electric and from the heart...a few political jibes...mostly his life and hunting.
The new Director of USF&W Aurelia Skipwith, a black, female was also SPECTACULAR...a farm raised girl, hunter and shooter, BS and MS in Biology and a JD from Perdue....returned from Namibia early to attend SCI and make presentation....I think we have lots of hope with her in the drivers seat...she claims she can out shoot her fiancé' a US Marshall and will prove that on a Texas Hog hunt very soon!!
I also heard several comments from Alaska outfitters that there may be some "MAJOR changes" in the old Marine Mammals Act in Trumps Second Term....I am also planting seeds of hope regarding some Executive Orders to wipe out all of the 22 States laws on controlling International Species...the warm and fuzzy laws with NO SCIENTIFIC FOUNDATIONS...and will eventually entrap hunters not knowing local laws...that do NOTHING but HARM INTERNATIONAL SPECIES!!
Here's hoping...I think both SCI and DSC are very important venues doing different things for Hunters...Keep it UP....LISTEN TO EXHIBITORS AND ATTENDEES...both organizations should vet Exhibitors and Award winners by members...so they don't have frauds and illegals and poor performers on the floors!!
Cheers,

470EDDY

Posts: 2674 | Location: The Other Washington | Registered: 24 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Big Wonderful Wyoming
posted Hide Post
I am not sure I would enjoy hunting with celebrities either.

I have a couple uncles and friends that are tremendously wealthy both are hunters and know lots of people like Trump Jr, and Shockey.

They aren't humble normal people, and I can only assume if I didn't want to hang out with them, I wouldn't want to hang out with some hunting celebrity.

I have met Boddington, I think it would be interesting to spend some time in camp with him, but I wouldn't pay for that privlidge.

Posts: 7782 | Location: Das heimat! | Registered: 10 October 2012Reply With Quote