Find
Notify
Tools

Re: Why not a 375wby?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
And my pet peeve is raised again "The UNHOLY PRESSURE'S OF THE 416 REM!!!!"

Look at the table's Kids, the 416 Rem runs at the same pressures as the 300 H&H or 375 H&H, and lower than a lot of other common cartridges like the 270. The way some guys talk there are a lot of guys walking around with the bolt of a 416Rem stuck in their face that I don't seem to run into.

Somewhere along the line 1 bad lot of ammo got written about and this keeps coming up, has anyone ever had a problem with 50K CUP ammo anywhere it gets to 80 to 100 degrees?

Unless your 100 years old and remember the good old days of cordite, please stop repeating this armchair criticism.

Posts: 1469 | Location: NC | Registered: 10 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of HunterJim
posted Hide Post
Mark6.5 and correspondents,

Don't forget the .376 Steyr. I am selling my two .375s, and keeping the .376. The next chance I get I will use it on Cape buff probably with the 270 grain North Fork bullet. Velocity will be what is needed. As noted above more velocity with a .375 is not what is needed for dangerous game, less is actually "mo' bettah".

As for the pressure in the .416 Remington Mag, there is considerable evidence from the Rifa Proficiency Courses and Tests that this cartridge has pressure problems with factory ammo. Of course this is at 100 degrees F/40 degrees C temperatures in Zimbabwe.

You can read about it on the African Hunter website or in the magazine if you get that.

As far as The Perfect Shot and The Perfect Shot North America, the publisher Safari Press had them both done, and CB is their "house author" for such. KR is strictly an African author, but both write for Safari Press.

jim dodd

Posts: 4166 | Location: San Diego, CA USA | Registered: 14 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Its not the cost of extra powder, its the fact that 18 to 20 more grains of powder equals 5 more ft.lbs. of recoil. If your shooting both at the same velocity why would you want to shot the one with 5 more ft.lbs. of recoil?

Posts: 1739 | Location: alabama | Registered: 13 November 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of retreever
posted Hide Post
Mark,

To much velocity is not the answer on DG...The faster bullets slam into the mass of an animal and are stopped or slowed down considerably...less penetration...The plain old reliable 375 or a 416Rem with the big bullets is the answer...

Mike

Posts: 6767 | Location: Wyoming, Pa. USA | Registered: 17 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
If you are going after large African plainsgame, there is some advantage to the extra velocity, depending on the area (cover) you are hunting in. I the real world of hunting, there is not a tremendous difference in bullet drop within 150 yards.

If you are focused on an elephant/cape buff hunt, you are don't need the velocity as stated in the post above. You want the heaviest weight bullet for a given caliber with the greatest sectional density. Drive that bullet between 2,150 fps and 2,400 fps (some say 2,500 on the high end) and you are in business. There is a reason why the classics (375 H&H, 9.3x62, 404 Jeffrey, 416 Rigby,7x57, 470 NE) continue to be used in Africa and the reason is Not because of their high velocity.

With the 416 Rigby, the higher cost of brass & powder is a fraction of 1% of the daily rate on a elephant hunt. Its magic is that it can equal 416 Rem ballistics at substantially lower (safer) pressures and can also be loaded up to equal the 416 Weatherby if desired.

Tim

Posts: 1430 | Location: California | Registered: 21 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I've been pondering a 375 bore for a currently un-used Winchester 1917 action I acquired. I've considered the H&H, the 375 JLC (I think that's it, basically an improved 375 H&H), as well as the 375 Weatherby. Shoot, even the 375/404 Jeffery might be fun as we have a wealth of data around here. (Saeed, subliminal hint to respond to email)

I already own a 404 Jeffery so my use is slanted toward the 375 bore which would also potentially make a nice NA gun (mainly for elk for me). I'm curious if the slight savings in powder and the moderate savings in brass cost for a 416 Rem outweighs the advantage of running at much lower pressures with the Rigby? For me, if hunting in warmer weather potentially, I'd like to get the desired velocity at as low a pressure as possible making that Rigby awfully attractive. I digress.

Anyway, it's my understanding that in Weatherby's psychotic pursuit of velocity they created the 378 Weatherby and discontinued the 375 Weatherby just to eliminate some competition amongst other factors. It's too bad as the 375 was probably the closest thing to the perfect engine...

My thoughts on the 375 bore are pretty much as follows:

-Get something that will still chamber and shoot the standard 375 H&H.

-While adhering to #1 maximize the case capacity for whatever chambering is available making it that much better for longer range work.

-Try to pay attention to best possible choice in terms of chambering ability.

Now I must admit ignorance at this point as it pertains to my following question. It would seem to me that an improved chamber of some sort would AID in chambering of a factory 375 H&H round with it's nice taper...anybody disagree with that?

I tend to think that a big chamber for an improved case would be that much easier to shove a std H&H case into and is therefore that much safer if the sh!t hits the fan.

If true one could reload fired cases that would serve that much better as say an elk gun for NA, yet still be in perfect shape with feeding and bullet velocities for DG.

Posts: 649 | Location: Iowa | Registered: 29 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
For dangerous game the additional velocity of the Weatherby offers no advantage. In fact it may be a disadvantage for two reasons:

1. More velocity = bullet failure more likely.

2. More velocity = greater bullet yaw, which can cause a bullet to tumble and veer off course in an animal.

Kevin Robertson, author of the Perfect Shot (which som famous author stole the title of) recommends that a .375 H&H be loaded down to 2400 fps or so because it has too much velocity at 2550 fps.

Posts: 18352 | Location: Salt Lake City, Utah USA | Registered: 20 April 2002Reply With Quote