Find
Notify
Tools

9,3 on buff and other DG
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of 9,3x74R
posted
I have hunted a lot of antelopes in the past years. But now, I think that it is time to go for DG. Or Cape buffalo!
I have a doubblerifle in 9,3x74R, and would like to know if there is anybody out there who has used 9,3 for buff? And what do you think of it ?

I use Woodleigh solids and soft points, and my rifle is capable to hit an egg with both barrels at 50 meters with both loads. (if I do my job)

I have also my dear Ruger RSM cal 375H&H, and maybe it would be better to use this rifle?

As u maybe understand, I would really like to, once in my life, use my double who I love like my girlfriend on buff.

Please tell me what you think is the best rifle to use?!.

And, is there any PH who would like to hunt with me?

Rino

Posts: 249 | Location: Oevre Eiker, Norway / Winterton RSA | Registered: 07 March 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of 458Win
posted Hide Post
Alf, I was just corresponding with Don Heath in Zimbabwe and know that both he and Kevin Robertson have used the similiar 9.3x62 on a good number of buffalo. My son told me this summer he used a Dakota #10 single shot in 9.3x74R on a couple of buffalo in Zambia as well and perfromance was excellent so I imagne you should have no trouble finding a good PH who would allow you to use your double.
Good Luck

Anyone who claims the 30-06 is ineffective has either not tried one, or is unwittingly commenting on their own marksmanship
Phil Shoemaker
Alaska Master guide
FAA Master pilot
NRA Benefactor www.grizzlyskinsofalaska.com

Posts: 4205 | Location: Bristol Bay | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Alf
I have a 9,3x74R Chapuis double rifle. I have taken it to Zimbabwe on 3 different Safaris.
I have taken a lot of plains game there with it.
I have also used it a lot in the sates and on a black bear in Canada and Idaho.

It has done a most excellent job. My 2 favorite bullets are the 286 gr Woodleigh Softs and Solids.

In March of this year I killed a giraffe, a cape buff, and a cow elephant.
The cape buff was shot at @60 yards facing me, with a 286 Woodleigh Soft. He was down and dead in less than 40 yards.

I side brain shot a cow elephant at 5 yards with a 286 Woodleigh Solid.

The 9,3x74R has performed perfectly for me.

I would not hesitate to use the 9,3 for elephant or buff again.

I prefer the 9,3 double for Dangerous Game to ANY bolt rifle.

What 9,3 double do you have?

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Karl S
posted Hide Post
Alf, I have a 9.3x64 rifle, which I download to just over factory specs for the 9.3x62. (286gr at 2380 ft/ sec.) This rifle is my second backup gun, and also my loaner rifle for clients. It has taken a few elephant & about 7 buffalo, some cats and also hordes of plainsgame. It is very effective if you put the bullet in the right place. All the elephant was shot with a 286gr Woodleigh solid, mostly brainshot, and then one shot kills. One was shot on the shoulder, and I backed it up, on the insistance of the client, and it was down within 10 yards. All the buffalo was shot with 286gr Rhino softs and 300gr Rhino softs. All except one as a one- shot kill. The exception was a gut shot buffalo bull. then I have had a few clients with 9.3x62 and 9.3x74 rifles, on DG and PG hunts. I have found these rifles and their owners to perform much better than some of the guys coming with bigger guns. In fact, this yera alone, most of the one shot kills on DG was with 9.3 and .375 caliber rifles. (One guy wounded both his buffalo and his elephnat with his 9.3x62, on buffalo he went for a dicey shot after he wounded it with a handgin earlier that day, but braked it enough that we could find it soon afterwards, on the elephant his bullet tumble as I presume he must have hit a twig. The tuskelss cow still dropped, but got up soon afterwards, and ws brought down again.

And BTW I would love to take you hunting with your 9.3. Let me know what you are interested in, and I will send you some more detail.

Karl Stumpfe
Ndumo Hunting Safaris www.huntingsafaris.net
karl@huntingsafaris.net
P.O. Box 1667, Katima Mulilo, Namibia
Cell: +264 81 1285 416
Fax: +264 61 254 328
Sat. phone: +88 163 166 9264

Posts: 1336 | Location: Namibia, Caprivi | Registered: 11 September 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ozhunter
posted Hide Post
My 9.3x62 has accounted for a few cape Buff, a Lion, Eland and Hippo etc.
I would not hesitate using a 9.3x74R with Woodleigh 286GRN PSP and Solids for such game.
ozhunter

Posts: 5886 | Location: Sydney,Australia  | Registered: 03 July 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
PH Kevin Robertson killed more than 600 buffalo with a 9,3 X 62.
What else do you need to know?

HUNTING ONE HOUR FROM CAPE TOWN
www.kapstadt.de/lemberg

Posts: 640 | Location: South Africa | Registered: 12 June 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of mouse93
posted Hide Post
Smiler just go ahead - imagine that egg inside the Buffalo and watch the effect took place Wink, I used my 9,3x62 this year in Zim on Buffalo - My report

Posts: 2031 | Location: Slovenia | Registered: 28 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of NitroX
posted Hide Post
I have dropped 14 water buffalo with my 9.3x74R with mostly 286 gr Woodleigh Protected Points, and a couple 286 gr FMJs. The 320 gr Woodleighs would be worth trying too.

Go for it with your double 9.3mm !Fondle it in the evenings like your girlfriend. Wink

KarlS is a good PH too. Smiler

John H.

NitroExpress.com - the net's double rifle forum

Posts: 10138 | Location: Wine Country, Barossa Valley, Australia | Registered: 06 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Lorenzo
posted Hide Post
9,3x62 286gr waterbuffs

L

Posts: 3085 | Location: Uruguay - South America | Registered: 10 December 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Karl S
posted Hide Post
Some pics of african DG hunted with a 9.3

Karl Stumpfe
karl@huntingsafaris.net

Posts: 1336 | Location: Namibia, Caprivi | Registered: 11 September 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of editor-ant
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sunshine:

I don’t think so...Kevin only qualified as a PH in 1996, and was a full time tobacco farmer and part time veterinary sergeon until he was kicked off his farm in 2001. Also, he normally carries a .505 Gibbs when backing up clients. Yes, Kevin likes a 9,3, but it always was his “loan out rifleâ€.

Ganyana used a 9,3 on many of the buffalo eradication culls in the 1980's but even on the culls didn’t amass a score over much over a hundred with this round.

Ant Williams

African Hunter Magazine African Fisherman Magazine

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
All the buffalo was shot with 286gr Rhino softs and 300gr Rhino softs. All except one as a one- shot kill. The exception was a gut shot buffalo bull. then I have had a few clients with 9.3x62 and 9.3x74 rifles, on DG and PG hunts. I have found these rifles and their owners to perform much better than some of the guys coming with bigger guns.

Hello Karl,

Could you please post some of the retrieved Rhino bullets ex buffalo for us, and perhaps a description as to shot placement, distance and impact velocity to relate to bullet performance.

Much appreciated.
Chris

Posts: 656 | Location: RSA | Registered: 03 December 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Will
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by editor-ant:
quote:
Originally posted by Sunshine:

I don’t think so...Kevin only qualified as a PH in 1996, and was a full time tobacco farmer and part time veterinary sergeon until he was kicked off his farm in 2001. Also, he normally carries a .505 Gibbs when backing up clients. Yes, Kevin likes a 9,3, but it always was his “loan out rifleâ€.

Ganyana used a 9,3 on many of the buffalo eradication culls in the 1980's but even on the culls didn’t amass a score over much over a hundred with this round.

Welcome to the AR forum mystery Ant! Smiler

Where's my damn magazine? Wink

-------------------------------
Will Stewart / Once you've been amongst them, there is no such thing as too much gun.
---------------------------------------
and, God Bless John Wayne.

NRA Benefactor Member, GOA, N.A.G.R.

"Elephant and Elephant Guns" $99 shipped
“Hunting Africa's Dangerous Game" $20 shipped.

red.dirt.elephant@gmail.com

Hoping to wind up where elephant hunters go.

Posts: 19369 | Location: Ocala Flats | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Karl S
posted Hide Post
Truvelo shooter-

here are some pics:

This one is of a few different caliber Rhino's recovered form buffalo (all except middle one, which went through a thick dry tree trunk, bounced off a rock 50 yards behind it, came back to hit me on the arm!)

another one of a solid Woodleigh 286gr, and the "worst" Rhino recovered, after it went through a waterbuck and was found in a antheap just behind it. It lost the pedals in the antheap, but I cant find them.
these bottom ones (RH two) were recovered from buff also (middle one a 300gr .375 if I remember correctly. I am doing these from my hard drive, I do not have the bullets here in plastic bags.) The one on the left is another "bonded core" bullet (286gr), but with a very thin and soft jacket, so it still overexpanded- recovered from a warthog, out of a 9.3x62. Also good for practice only...

These bullets have always performed very well in my 9.3, except the older ones used to lose too many pedals. (Happened twice, once on a huge eland, and the mentioned waterbuck.) This has not happened again in the past 2 years, so I presume this problem was sorted out. Shooting distance was from 12 yards to 80 yards, and most of the recovered bullets looked like the one in the top photo. They have really impressed me on buffalo (though I have now switched to the 300gr RN, as opposed to the 286gr Spitzer), and a good heart/ top of heart shot, puts them down pretty quick. Normally within 50-100 yards. I will do a search for more of the recovered bullets, and of interbnal damage caused by these bullets. They open up very good and reliably, without over-expansion, so I absolutely love them for buffalo and smaller.

Karl Stumpfe
karl@huntingsafaris.net

one of us
Picture of 458Win
posted Hide Post
Ant, will you be at the booth at SCI and will you be at SHOT? I'll stop by.

Anyone who claims the 30-06 is ineffective has either not tried one, or is unwittingly commenting on their own marksmanship
Phil Shoemaker
Alaska Master guide
FAA Master pilot
NRA Benefactor www.grizzlyskinsofalaska.com

Posts: 4205 | Location: Bristol Bay | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I believe Kevin Robertson is said to have been 'around' that many buff taken on hunts/culls, including clients and others...I do stand to be corrected though.

He did also write in Magnum that he was shooting buff to control foot and mouth before he was a PH as part of his farmer /vet role...this is how/why he got the 9,3, it was all he could affords when he bought it..and later bought the .505 when his PH work dictated it..anyway, thats what I remember from his writings, but could be off..anyone?

I guess someon could just email him!

Posts: 1274 | Location: Alberta (and RSA) | Registered: 16 October 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Will
posted Hide Post
There in lies the crux of many caliber choices. It was the only one they could afford or find.

-------------------------------
Will Stewart / Once you've been amongst them, there is no such thing as too much gun.
---------------------------------------
and, God Bless John Wayne.

NRA Benefactor Member, GOA, N.A.G.R.

"Elephant and Elephant Guns" $99 shipped
“Hunting Africa's Dangerous Game" $20 shipped.

red.dirt.elephant@gmail.com

Hoping to wind up where elephant hunters go.

Posts: 19369 | Location: Ocala Flats | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of cable68
posted Hide Post
In his new book on Buffalo, Robertson says his 9.3 has over 650 buffalo scalps to its credit, but he also says it is a loaner rifle, so some of those kills were clients.

Caleb

Posts: 1010 | Location: Texan in Muskogee, OK now moved to Wichita, KS | Registered: 28 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Karl S:
Truvelo shooter-

here are some pics:

[QUOTE]

In the second photo (top view) the 9.3 shows up quite well vs the bigger ones.

Posts: 3785 | Location: B.C. Canada | Registered: 08 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Karl,

Thanks for the pictures.

I am using the 286 gr Rhino bullet and get the same results, time after time.

Did the WDL FMJ ever tumble on you? Curious to know.

Thanks
Chris

One of Us
Picture of Karl S
posted Hide Post
quote:
Did the WDL FMJ ever tumble on you? Curious to know.

No, they have penetrated very good so far. A client had a Rhino solid (286gr) out of his 9.3x62 tumble this year, after hitting a branch halfway between him and the ele (10 yards). He hit the ele cow exactly in th right spot for a side brain shot, and she dropped to the shot, but soon got up, to be dispached very soon after that. No fault of the bullet used, or the caliber, just faulty shot selection.

Karl Stumpfe
karl@huntingsafaris.net

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
No, they have penetrated very good so far.

Karl,

Thanks for your comments Karl. I also have never heard of a Wdl Steel FMJ in 9,3 caliber that tumbled on elephant headshots; invariably they go straight through.

Perhaps Ganyana can also give us his experience, as he is aslo an extensive 9,3 user.

Take care
Chris

One of Us
posted Hide Post
The Rhino Solid Shank is what the TBBC used to be, no?

Posts: 3785 | Location: B.C. Canada | Registered: 08 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Karl S
posted Hide Post
quote:
The Rhino Solid Shank is what the TBBC used to be, no?

.366torque, yes, its bsically a copy of it. The first ones used to lose pedals regularly, but they have sorted that problem, and the new ones do not lose pedals very often.

Karl Stumpfe
karl@huntingsafaris.net

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Karl S, yes it definatly sounds like an exceptional bullet. The TBBC was great before it changed, a friend of mine used it with great success in a 7mm RM. It made that 7 perform bigger.

one of us
Picture of Flip
posted Hide Post
Robertson has not shot over 600 buffalo with his 9.3 x62, there was an article in magnum about his 9.3x62, the previous owner which was an control officer for a lot of years shot over 600 buff with it. He shot most with his 505 Gibbs

Flip

Posts: 931 | Location: Nambia | Registered: 02 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 9,3x74R
posted Hide Post
Hi again..

N E 450 No2
My double is just like yours a Chapuis. It is a RGEX with a Leupold vx3 1,5-5X20 in claw-mounts. BUT I prefer to use it with open sights. I use reloaded ammo, brass from RWS, Norma powder and Woodleigh 286gr soft, and solids like you.
Take a look at my videos from africa.
Rightclikk and save as
http://www.weatherbyrifler.com/xo/S%f8r-Africa%202005-1.mpg
http://www.weatherbyrifler.com/xo/Safari%202003.mpg

Karl S:
I will send you a pm one of these days. And thanks for your info so far. Great pictures!!

ozhunter:
Do you have some pictures??

mouse93:
Great report.

NitroX:
I guess that these waterbuffalos, are as tuff as their African â€brothers"? The same size etc? And what about some pictures?
The 320 gr. Woodleigs doesn’t shoot well in my rifle.

Lorenzo:
Is it waterbuffalos like the ones you find in Australia? Great pictures. Thanks.

It looks like I’m ready for some buffs huh!

Rino

Posts: 249 | Location: Oevre Eiker, Norway / Winterton RSA | Registered: 07 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Karl S
posted Hide Post
quote:
It looks like I’m ready for some buffs huh!

Down to the satisfied smile!

Karl Stumpfe
karl@huntingsafaris.net

One of Us
Picture of NitroX
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 9,3x74R:
NitroX:
I guess that these waterbuffalos, are as tuff as their African â€brothers"? The same size etc? And what about some pictures?
The 320 gr. Woodleigs doesn’t shoot well in my rifle.

The fourteen water buffalo, plus a scrub bull, one donkey, two horses and several pigs were shot on a buffalo culling trip last year.

Water buffalo are generally larger than a cape buffalo, probably somewhat less aggressive, but also probably a little bit harder to put down. This is an opinion a knowledgable gentleman shared with me once, but I would agree with it.

The water buffalo I shot were mostly cows, but also two bulls. They were not fully matured old bulls however.

No way would I call the 9.3 ideal but I am sure it will do the job 98% of the time. And the other 2% too with some luck. While I prefer my .450, I would hunt any buffalo with a 9.3mm.

Photos for the 9.3mm hunt would be on a thread on the Aussie forum titled something like " "Mad" Cow Cull". Can't open it at the moment as everything has slowed down suddenly.

John H.

NitroExpress.com - the net's double rifle forum

Posts: 10138 | Location: Wine Country, Barossa Valley, Australia | Registered: 06 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
As per an above post. Have used a 9,3 very happily on elephant and buff.

Have also guided clients use\ing a 9,3x74R on buffalo and tuskless elephant.

It is the legal minimum here in zim and with reason, but if you are a reasonably cool person it works a whole world better than a .460 in the hands of an excitable person!

Posts: 3026 | Location: Zimbabwe | Registered: 23 July 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 9,3x74R
posted Hide Post
Thank you very much for all the informative answers, pictures and your good advice. It is comforting to see that my choice of bullets actually is according to several of your choices.
I will use the opportunity to wish you all a merry christmas and a Happy New Year.

Rino