THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AFRICAN HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  African Big Game Hunting    Pierre von Tonder on NBC Sport with Bob Foulkrod this morning!

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Pierre von Tonder on NBC Sport with Bob Foulkrod this morning!
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of retreever
posted
Hi all,

Mike's son Matt here. PVT is on Winchester Legends this morning at 11AM Eastern with Bob Foulkrod. DirecTV channel 603. NBC Sports channel.

Michael Podwika... DRSS bigbores and hunting www.pvt.co.za " MAKE THE SHOT " 450#2 Famars

Posts: 6768 | Location: Wyoming, Pa. USA | Registered: 17 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
it's on again on friday the 14th at 1pm central

Posts: 13461 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Good show. I think Bob just preceeded me at this camp.

He used solids in his 375 for his buffalo. Even though he seemed to get a good first hit, it required what appeared to be a decent followup and two more shots. I think softs are better for buffalo, at least on the first shot.

Nice camp.

Posts: 477 | Location: Arizona | Registered: 21 July 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I wonder if this is the same gun that his dad had and who dreamed of hunting grizzly with it?

Posts: 966 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 23 September 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Set my DVR to record it.
Thanks for the heads up!

LORD, let my bullets go where my crosshairs show.
Not all who wander are lost.
NEVER TRUST A FART!!!
Cecil Leonard

Posts: 2786 | Location: Northeast Louisianna | Registered: 06 October 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Wink
posted Hide Post
Was the show any good?

AR, where the hopeless, hysterical hypochondriacs of history become the nattering nabobs of negativisim.

Posts: 7046 | Location: Rambouillet, France | Registered: 25 June 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jorge
posted Hide Post
It was GREAT to see Pierre on TV. He's such a great PH and gentleman. The buffalo was "ok" and I guess I don't know any better but it just makes me nuts to see muzzle breaks on 375s and the use of solids on buffalo. You'd think these supposed "experts" would know better, especially in light of all that's happened recently. jorge

USN (ret)
DRSS Verney-Carron 450NE
Cogswell & Harrison 375 Fl NE
Sabatti Big Five 375 FL Magnum NE
DSC Life Member
NRA Life Member

Posts: 7149 | Location: Orange Park, Florida. USA | Registered: 22 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jorge:
The buffalo was "ok" and I guess I don't know any better but it just makes me nuts to see muzzle breaks on 375s and the use of solids on buffalo.

Jorge - I'm with ya! Try being a guide for the past 20 yrs, and guys bringing guns with muzzle-brakes on everything from a .270 up!! I have suffered the past 2 yrs from Tinnitus (permanent ringing) in my left ear. Without question, muzzle-brakes have been a big factor.

Note to hunters - ALL guides/PH's will hate you with a passion if you bring a gun with a muzzle-brake on it, for any hunt. If you need one, the gun is too big for you. If you still need one, please stay home with the wife. wave

Aaron Neilson
Global Hunting Resources
303-619-2872: Cell
globalhunts@aol.com
www.huntghr.com

Posts: 4888 | Location: Boise, Idaho | Registered: 05 March 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
shared a camp with Bob Foulkrod in africa once. I have never met a more arrogant man who liked to talk about himself as much as Bob did.

Posts: 1144 | Location: utah | Registered: 07 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
too much camera "drama" , constantly changing angles and positions. I hate it when they edit the show so that just before shooting whatever the game is...they go to a commercial break.....I turned it off.

Birmingham, Al

One of Us
Picture of retreever
posted Hide Post
Every hunting show is the same final stalk and rifle up and commerical then the shot.

Mike

Michael Podwika... DRSS bigbores and hunting www.pvt.co.za " MAKE THE SHOT " 450#2 Famars

Posts: 6768 | Location: Wyoming, Pa. USA | Registered: 17 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:

Note to hunters - ALL guides/PH's will hate you with a passion if you bring a gun with a muzzle-brake on it, for any hunt. If you need one, the gun is too big for you. If you still need one, please stay home with the wife. wave

A declarative statement like that is like Mitt Romney saying those who don't pay taxes will never vote for him. In Tanzania my PH brought ear muffs; he wore them for every shot and told me he would rather have someone shoot a rifle with a brake and hit something than miss.

I have a .300 RUM with a brake on it that I used in NM last Nov. I asked my guide about it; he said he always put in ear plugs before the shot.

Don't Ever Book a Hunt with Jeff Blair
http://forums.accuratereloadin...821061151#2821061151

Posts: 7578 | Location: Arizona and off grid in CO | Registered: 28 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by AnotherAZWriter:
quote:

A declarative statement like that is like Mitt Romney saying those who don't pay taxes will never vote for him. In Tanzania my PH brought ear muffs; he wore them for every shot and told me he would rather have someone shoot a rifle with a brake and hit something than miss.

I have a .300 RUM with a brake on it that I used in NM last Nov. I asked my guide about it; he said he always put in ear plugs before the shot.

AAW - Obviously my comment was made in jest, thus the wave. Regardless, I don't like em, never met a guide that did either. Obviously you work with what the client brings, its his hunt, he's paying for it. I just believe if a guy needs one for hunting, then he needs a smaller gun. Shooting/sighting in at the range, I can see the use for them - as getting the gun "dialed in", or shooting for fun, can be important.

More and more hunters that I guide also wear ear protection, which is great, as long as its something that allows for good hearing, and lessens the noise of the gun shot. There's nothing worse than trying to communicate with a hunter, that can't hear you, as you are trying to give him instruction (have had it happen numerous times). In the same breath, if the client needs to communicate with me at the last moment, which happens often, I want to be able to hear him, and help him, if needed. Things can happen fast, and I don't want him to miss the opportunity for any reason, JMO, that's all.

Aaron Neilson
Global Hunting Resources
globalhunts@aol.com
www.huntghr.com

Posts: 4888 | Location: Boise, Idaho | Registered: 05 March 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Well, I will be shooting my .338 at a big elk in about a week - no brake. But so what? It is still not smart to take a lot of shots without ear protection. FWIW, I find Vais brakes are not perceptibly louder than no brake.

Nice lion BTW.

Posts: 7578 | Location: Arizona and off grid in CO | Registered: 28 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by AnotherAZWriter:
Well, I will be shooting my .338 at a big elk in about a week - no brake. But so what? It is still not smart to take a lot of shots without ear protection. FWIW, I find Vais brakes are not perceptibly louder than no brake.

Nice lion BTW.

You gotta post a picture of that - it should be a great hunt. Good luck!!!

Aaron Neilson
Global Hunting Resources
globalhunts@aol.com
www.huntghr.com

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Steyr, the grizzly 375 was a pre '64. This one on the buff was much newer.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Aaron:

Lat night I watched a recorded session of Sports Afield; Tim Fallon of SAAM used a muzzle brake on his rifle on a hunt for Marco Polo.

One of Us
Picture of retreever
posted Hide Post
I bet he had a winter hood and hat on.

Mike