New
Find
Notify
Tools

How do you move a herd of buffalo?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
"We started to learn more about this bull. He was what they call an old dugga boy - a very old bull that has been kicked out of the herd by the younger studs. The rest of the herd was gone. Years ago they had been captured and moved off of this huge ranch by the landowner who grew tired of the problems associated with buffalo."
That was part of the RSA Lion hunt post. Is it possible to move a herd of buffalo? How would you do it

Posts: 141 | Location: Upstate, New York | Registered: 05 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Like most other herd game..briefly....

You set up a capture funnel (that is positiond depending on various geographic/landscape and location factors).

The funnel is made from sheeting about 10 feet high, canvas, nylon, hessian, etc. the funnel ends in a capture boma or more commonly the transport truck/trailer. The funnel often has one side longer than the other to provide a larger opening and then has a series of transverse curtains that slide on cables.

A helicopter (and ground vehicles) chases the selected animals into the opening of the funnel (we may be talking a funnel that is hundreds of yards long and wide at its mouth...its big, not 'garden sized'!). The selction can be very trickey in terms the numbers and types/compostion of animals you want to catch..

As they progress down the funnel, the transverse curtains are closed behind them by runners (wide eyed in the case of buff), which efectively 'squeezes' them towards the truck.... much of this may take some coaxing from the air and ground (although the goal is as stress free as possible), especially for some species (I saw a buffalo cow climb over a Landcrusier hood to get away!!!)

Once in the truck they are normally tranquilised from the top by the vets and they may try 'move' certain animals into different compartments (easier with blesbuck!!!).

I have limited experience with buff but it was way more full on than other species. I saw one buff bull rear up and bend the top of the truck trailer (the guy standing up there shat himself) and another bull ram a cow so hard that her horn broke off at the boss...lots of blood and concerned vet as they were disease free animals and very expensive. He applied antispetic on a swab 'plug' to stop bleeding, tranquilized the bull as much as possible/safe fro transport and could nothing until they were released into a holding pen some hours later....

Lots of fun (and bloody hard work!)Hope that paints a picture for you (although basic!)

Posts: 1274 | Location: Alberta (and RSA) | Registered: 16 October 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of zimbabwe
posted Hide Post
Have not moved Buffalo but did assist in moving a lot of Brahma cattle while in Zimbabwe and also in trapping and moving some Sable. Would not think Buffalo would be any different just nastier than Brahma breeding bulls. The Sable we moved into small paddock and darted,put on trucks and revived. Were preparing to move large herd of Wildebeest but could never get the permits from govt. The key to the herding is a small helicopter and a GOOD pilot from all I've heard from people who have done it.

SCI Life Member
NRA Patron Life Member
DRSS

Posts: 2786 | Location: Green Valley,Az | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Michael Robinson
posted Hide Post
Generally all we have had to do is make a bad stalk!

Mike

Wilderness is my cathedral, and hunting is my prayer.

Posts: 13627 | Location: New England | Registered: 06 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Wink
posted Hide Post
Just get upwind of them.

AR, where the hopeless, hysterical hypochondriacs of history become the nattering nabobs of negativisim.

Posts: 7046 | Location: Rambouillet, France | Registered: 25 June 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Being upwind has always seemed to work....ALL TOO WELL...for me. Big Grin

Posts: 953 | Location: Florida | Registered: 17 March 2005Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
2 pet lions?

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 39622 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote