THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AFRICAN HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  African Big Game Hunting    Which non-Big 5 or 7 is the most dangerous?

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Which non-Big 5 or 7 is the most dangerous?
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of namibiahunter
posted
Excluding the elephant, rhino, lion, leopard, cape buffalo, hippo, and crocodile, which "non-dangerous" game is the most dangerous?

In my experience, it was the warthog that charged me, and the black mamba that kept trying to strike after I had broken its back.

Posts: 665 | Location: Oregon or Namibia | Registered: 13 June 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Jorge400
posted Hide Post
I dated a blonde attorney that still gives me nightmares.

"...Africa. I love it, and there is no reason for me to explore why. She affects some people that way, and those who feel as I do need no explanation." from The Last Safari

Posts: 839 | Location: Greensboro, Georgia USA | Registered: 17 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have been told stories by PH how bushbuck will try to gore someone if wounded.

Also have been told by a PH how he once had to shoot a gemsbok that had a bush man impaled on its horns.

Good Hunting,

Posts: 3143 | Location: Duluth, GA | Registered: 30 September 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of adamhunter
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jorge400:
I dated a blonde attorney that still gives me nightmares.

rotflmo

I dated a redheaded one ONCE. I'm convinced there is a special place in hell reserved for her.

Interested to see what folks say here as I am going on my first PG hunt in a few months. I've heard that gemsbuck and sable are agressive, but never seen anyone post about it.

30+ years experience tells me that perfection hit at .264. Others are adequate but anything before or after is wishful thinking.

Posts: 854 | Location: Atlanta, GA | Registered: 20 December 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I would give a wounded roan and sable my undivided attention. Both are aggressive when wounded or cornered.

Dave Fulson

Posts: 1467 | Registered: 20 December 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of A.Dahlgren
posted Hide Post

Posts: 2638 | Location: North | Registered: 24 May 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I was told by Larry Patterson of Kalahari Game Services in Botswana that he had? or heard of? a waterbuck coming out of the escape chute, hooked the guy in the right through the chest, then the guy on the left, killing both. Take it as hear say but either way he had tremendous respect for waterbuck.

Posts: 44 | Location: New York | Registered: 06 April 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Traveling on highways and roads. What a nightmare.

Posts: 296 | Location: Missouri | Registered: 22 May 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of PSmith
posted Hide Post
Mosquitos?
Ticks?

Paul Smith
SCI Life Member
NRA Life Member
DSC Member
Life Member of the "I Can't Wait to Get Back to Africa" Club
DRSS
I had the privilege to fire E. Hemingway's WR .577NE, E. Keith's WR .470NE, & F. Jamieson's WJJ .500 Jeffery
I strongly recommend avoidance of "The Zambezi Safari & Travel Co., Ltd." and "Pisces Sportfishing-Cabo San Lucas"

"A failed policy of national defense is its own punishment" Otto von Bismarck

Posts: 2545 | Location: The 'Ham | Registered: 25 May 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of retreever
posted Hide Post
Careless gun handler...

Mike

Michael Podwika... DRSS bigbores and hunting www.pvt.co.za " MAKE THE SHOT " 450#2 Famars

Posts: 6768 | Location: Wyoming, Pa. USA | Registered: 17 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
All of the "plains game" is going to run away from you as long as they can. Some of them might be hazardous if wounded or boxed up in some circumstance that restricts their escape. Gemsbok certainly have potentially dangerous horns, and evidence of gored predators (and other gemsbok) amply shows that you wouldn't want to mess with one that still has life in him.

I guess I would be most afraid of a troop of baboons that is all stirred up. Big males can weigh in at close to 100 pounds and their canines can kill leopards when they can gang up on one. If those buggers decided to go after you, you'd be in deep doo-doo. They're smart, too, at least compared to other game.

Posts: 13245 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
Snakes, in my mind.

One of Us
Picture of 375 fanatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PSmith:
Mosquitos?
Ticks?

+1 kills the most people in Africa more than all the big 5 put together

"Buy land they have stopped making it"- Mark Twain

Posts: 914 | Location: Burgersfort the big Kudu mekka of South Africa | Registered: 27 April 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Our local taxi drivers are the most dangerous, non- dangerous game hilbily

Been charged by wounded bushbuck and black wildebeest before, aswell as a bad tempered cape eland. Baboons still keep me on my toes though!

Posts: 90 | Location: South Africa | Registered: 02 October 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I would have to vote for the Mamma Warthog.
Murray and I were going after a big boar when a piglet came busting out of the bush and almost ran into me. Luckilly it turned and ran off and Mamma was right behind and done the same.
Or maybe the Bushbuck that speared Murray's tracking dog and had to have one leg amputated.

Posts: 273 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 08 October 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Andrew McLaren
posted Hide Post
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Settlers Safaris:
Our local taxi drivers are the most dangerous, non- dangerous game hilbily

...................................QUOTE]

While I quite agree with you, I do have a problem: No taxidermist that I've put my request to has yet replied with a firm quote for a shoulder mount of a drunken taxi driver! Big Grin

The original poster asked about plains game. This rules out mosquitoes and similar. In my personal case only one wounded PG animal has drawn blood: A duiker kicking with hind feet neatly slit through a bush jacket and gave a nasty bleeding, but not life-threatening - cut on my forearm!

I was determinedly charged by a wounded bushpig on two occasions. First one was mortally wounded by a .270win shot, he looked for me, saw me and started his charge, but he ran out of steam meters from me. I was waiting to give the one and only shot at almost barrel against his head distance, but he collapsed at about twice that distance from me. Second charge a few years later by a very large sow was abruptly ended with a .22LR bullet between the eyes at about 15 meters!

All the rest about which animal I consider the most dangerous is just hearsay and not based on personal experience. I do know that a wounded gemsbuck can deliver a very painful kick on the shin if, with due respect for the dangerous horns, it is approached from behind!

In good hunting.

Andrew McLaren

Posts: 1799 | Location: Soutpan, Free State, South Africa | Registered: 19 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Honey badger goes for the testicles and tries to rip them off...

There is a difference between "Dangerous" and "Lethal", your choice!

Philip

Posts: 1252 | Location: East Africa | Registered: 14 November 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
If I had to pick two mamals it would be a tie between the Bushbuck, and the Gemsbok!

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
PH and I were attacked by a baboon once. I shot it with the muzzle of the rifle touching it and the PH trying to hold it off with the shooting sticks. I had a warthog attack once after I had shot it. We killed it with a knife, but it was pretty much finished anyway. Then there was a honey badger that tried to bite a tracker on the leg. You never know which one will try to bite you.

Posts: 1357 | Location: Texas | Registered: 17 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of L. David Keith
posted Hide Post
Another vote for the Bushbuck and Gemsbok. All "non dangerous" animals can get dangerous real quick when wounded or cornered, but the Bushbuck when wounded best have your full attention at all times.
LDK

Gray Ghost Hunting Safaris
http://grayghostsafaris.com Phone: 615-860-4333
Email: hunts@grayghostsafaris.com
NRA Benefactor
DSC Professional Member
SCI Member
RMEF Life Member
NWTF Guardian Life Sponsor
NAHC Life Member
Rowland Ward - SCI Scorer
Took the wife the Eastern Cape for her first hunt:
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6881000262
Hunting in the Stormberg, Winterberg and Hankey Mountains of the Eastern Cape 2018
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/4801073142
Hunting the Eastern Cape, RSA May 22nd - June 15th 2007
http://forums.accuratereloadin...=810104007#810104007
16 Days in Zimbabwe: Leopard, plains game, fowl and more:
http://forums.accuratereloadin...=212108409#212108409
Natal: Rhino, Croc, Nyala, Bushbuck and more
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6341092311
Recent hunt in the Eastern Cape, August 2010: Pics added
http://forums.accuratereloadin...261039941#9261039941
10 days in the Stormberg Mountains
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/7781081322
Back in the Stormberg Mountains with friends: May-June 2017
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6001078232

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading" - Thomas Jefferson

Every morning the Zebra wakes up knowing it must outrun the fastest Lion if it wants to stay alive. Every morning the Lion wakes up knowing it must outrun the slowest Zebra or it will starve. It makes no difference if you are a Zebra or a Lion; when the Sun comes up in Africa, you must wake up running......

"If you're being chased by a Lion, you don't have to be faster than the Lion, you just have to be faster than the person next to you."

Posts: 6825 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: 18 December 2006Reply With Quote