THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AFRICAN HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  African Big Game Hunting    Best 9.3x74R bullet for plains game?

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Best 9.3x74R bullet for plains game?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Sent a note to the Chapuis folks via the internet. Their North American Representative called me back! Question was whether or not it was safe to use Nosler Partitions in the 9.3x74R double rifle. Their answer was ... We've done extensive testing and think it's perfectly OK!"

Leads me to the question: Is the 286 Nosler partition or the 286 Woodleigh the better bullet for plains game where ranges are 150 yards or less?

Have to work up loads and find something at works with the regulation, but would like to have your thoughts.

Thanks,

Posts: 6199 | Location: Charleston, WV | Registered: 31 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
mstarling
I have used the 286 Woodleigh Soft on a few deer and several pigs as well as one black bear. I have taken several pigs with the 286 Nosler Partition. I have recovered one Woodleigh from a deer and a few from pigs. I have never recovered one of the Noslers. The Woodleighs seem to make a slightly bigger hole but the Partitions penetrate farther.
I hope to have more info when I get back from ZIM, as my Chapuis shoots both bullets equally well. In fact I plan to carry a Woodleigh soft in the right bbl and a Nosler Partition in the left most of the time. I still think I am going to use a 285 Hawk 0.35jkt on Leopard as it makes the biggest holes of all.

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
HI. I have never shot plainsgame with my 9,3 X 74R, But several scandinavian moose. I now shoot the 286 Woodleigh and have never recovered any bullets = Full penetration. I can not imagine that a Nosler penetrates better, since it opens up quicklier. I I were to bring any of the two bullets in question I would take the Woodleigh any day..!
The Woodleigh holds together so well that the last moose I shot, was hit by the bullet after the bullet had gone through a 3" tree. Try doing that with a Nosler..!
I have also shot Moose with the Norma Alaska and the RWS TUG. Those bullets were all recovered.
I stick to Woodleigh and so do most of the people I know who hunt moose with their 9.3' If I were to try anything else it would be the A-frame 300grs , A-squares DT., Trophy bonded BC or The Rhino's.
But in the end... doesn't It also depend on where the hunt will take place? I mean.. Will it be open country or will it be in a bushy, branchy place.

Have fun

Posts: 389 | Location: Denmark | Registered: 05 May 2002Reply With Quote