Find
Notify
Tools

Rifle Slings
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of ElCaballero
posted
I fart around with leather some. Anytime most of your gear you use for your job is made from one material a person tends to learn a little about it. I have been kicking around the idea of making some slings and cartridge carriers to sell for a little extra cash. Winter is coming and setting in the house for 5 hours before bedtime with nothing to do drives me nuts.

So this question is for people who like to use slings and prefer them in leather. The question is what style do you like? What would you like to see on one that noone else is puting on them? What kind of price are you wanting to pay?

As a general rule, people are nuts!
spinksranch.com

Posts: 2095 | Location: Missouri, USA | Registered: 02 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Aspen Hill Adventures
posted Hide Post
I have an idea. I never thought most slings were very comfortable. They pinch me where ever I happen to shoulder the rifle, barrel up or down.

I wish there was a padded extension of the sling to cover that pinch spot where the sling attaches to the swivel.

~Ann

Posts: 19551 | Location: The LOST Nation | Registered: 27 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Steve Malinverni
posted Hide Post
The last slings that I bought were made by Turner and it was a Tactical Rifle Sling Black 54 inch Leather.

I like it a lot, and I have two or three of them.

bye
Stefano
Waidmannsheil

Posts: 1653 | Location: Milano Italy | Registered: 04 July 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
like ann i really like the wide padded ones, but for something really unique - it'd be neat to have one or 2 made out of the leather from animals i've taken - i.e. i have a hippo belly skin which would make a cool sling etc.

Posts: 13460 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Brain1
posted Hide Post
I like the plain military, or straight style. I would love to see a custom sling or shell holder that was tooled with initials and other types of tooling. I once ordered a leather gun case from the local prison work shop. When I received it I could not believe my eyes. I still have it. It is one of the most beautiful rifle cases I have ever seen. The one-of-a-kind stuff is what would interest me.

You can borrow money, but you can't borrow time. Don't wait, go now.
Savannah Safaris Namibia
Otjitambi Trails & Safaris
DRSS
NRA
SCI
DSC
TSRA
TMPA

Posts: 1262 | Location: Bridgeport, Tx | Registered: 20 May 2005Reply With Quote
<Hunter Formerly Known As Texas Hunter>
posted
I use slings whenever I hunt. Typically, my slings are nylon but I would like a leather sling (or several) if they functioned like my synthetics. I don't like the padded sling. I prefer the sling to be the same width throughout (about 1 - 1.25 in.) with a slide feature that allows quick opening (extending length) and closing of the sling with one hand.

One of Us
Picture of jorge
posted Hide Post
I like the one made by Murray Custom leather. They are pricey, about 50 bucks, but it's the only sling I use now. IF you can make it for less....jorge

USN (ret)
DRSS Verney-Carron 450NE
Cogswell & Harrison 375 Fl NE
Sabatti Big Five 375 FL Magnum NE
DSC Life Member
NRA Life Member

Posts: 7149 | Location: Orange Park, Florida. USA | Registered: 22 March 2001Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
butchloc has a good idea.....why don't you consider making them for people w/ hides/pieces of animals they have taken themselves?

Posts: 19 | Location: NC | Registered: 31 October 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of TheBigGuy
posted Hide Post
I honestly find the Butler Creek neoprene slings with the "grip" dots on them to be the most comfortable slings.

Posts: 1282 | Registered: 17 September 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Any shooting sling with a loop; if it can't be used as a shooting sling, it is a waste unless it is a carry strap on a DGR rifle. Actually, anthing that doesn't form a loop is a carrying strap.

Don't Ever Book a Hunt with Jeff Blair
http://forums.accuratereloadin...821061151#2821061151

Posts: 7577 | Location: Arizona and off grid in CO | Registered: 28 July 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ElCaballero
posted Hide Post
Ann,
I have an idea for your pinching problem. I will call it the Aspen Hill Special!

All,
It will be difficult to make a leather function like a nylon but I have an idea for a hybrid. Initials etc. are not a problem.
Using hides from game could be done provided it is the right kind. That is the thickness is correct etc. It would be a case by case deal.

I am about 2 hours from a Cabela's and wil be up that way soon. I will take a look at what they offer and get back to all with what I have come up with. I am thinking one or two styles and leave it at that.

Thanks for your time!
Wes

As a general rule, people are nuts!
spinksranch.com

Posts: 2095 | Location: Missouri, USA | Registered: 02 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
EC-Just for something different try or look at the Westley Richards leather slings. They are designed to be fitted to one length and left there. There is no friction ring to get loose and therefore the sling never slips. I fit mine to the length I shoot at using a sling and then fit the sling. It is always the same and never varies. They are also stupidly expensive. Mufasa

posted Hide Post
I have 8 or 9 of the Bianchi Cobra Grande slings with the thumbhole and love them.I have seen these go for 125.00+ on ebay,as they are no longer made.If you haven't used these you won't believe how handy the thumbhole is.

One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
My favorite gun sling is the Browning Western Stitch. I have over 20 of them on my various rifles and they seem to fit the bill. Wide enough to keep the rifle steady and with a rough back it does not slip off of my shoulder.

One of Us
Picture of Aspen Hill Adventures
posted Hide Post
I look forward to the design! I have some tanned warthog and eland leather, would it be any good for such a project?

~Ann

Posts: 19551 | Location: The LOST Nation | Registered: 27 March 2001Reply With Quote