New
Find
Notify
Tools

Zebra skin tough enough for rug?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I've just gotten my tanned Hartmann's in from my June '07 trip. Right now it is draped over a couch in my study awaiting some more permanent display place. Although folks refer to them as "rugs", are zebra skins actually tough enough to bear foot traffic without damage? Alternatively, can you actually sit on them without damaging them or wearing off the hair when used as upholstry covers?

Posts: 13245 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Wink
posted Hide Post
Did you have it "felted" or a have added a backing or fringe in leather? This helps if you intend to use it as a rug. I wouldn't guarantee a long life if used in high traffic area, no more than any other skin, but in a light traffic area they are fine, in my experience.

AR, where the hopeless, hysterical hypochondriacs of history become the nattering nabobs of negativisim.

Posts: 7046 | Location: Rambouillet, France | Registered: 25 June 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Blacktailer
posted Hide Post
We have a settee done in zebra but the seat portion has ripped (I put a foot through it when standing on it- dummmy). We will now get the seat section covered in a cream colored leather and it should be fine.
It makes an interesting piece of furniture.

Have gun- Will travel
The value of a trophy is computed directly in terms of personal investment in its acquisition. Robert Ruark

Posts: 3830 | Location: Cave Creek, AZ | Registered: 09 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
i've had a couple of zebra rugs in the game room for awhile with good luck, but they get very little wear. (can't really walk through it anymore) also some ele foot stools toped with zebra that are doing OK

Posts: 13462 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Wow, Blacktailer! I really like that idea. I have a similar size settee in my gun room (actually folds out into a single hide-a-bed to sleep a guest). It would look fantastic done in zebra.

Posts: 13245 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Michael Robinson
posted Hide Post
They will wear out with use. Placing them in high traffic areas accelerates the wear and tear.

The hair comes out and you are left with "bald" spots. The mane and tail hairs tear out fairly easily too.

But that's why you need back ups! Going to Africa to shoot your next rug sure beats going to Carpet World! thumb

Mike

Wilderness is my cathedral, and hunting is my prayer.

Posts: 13663 | Location: New England | Registered: 06 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
Or, you have two or three rugs made and in storage and rotate them. . .

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Zebra hide tears quite easily. My Jack Russell pup took great chunks out of mine out of spite. Felt backing definitely prolongs their useful life but adds significantly to the cost. I've always tried to place mine under a coffee table rather than in a walkway.

Posts: 33 | Location: Pretoria, South Africa | Registered: 30 April 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ozhunter
posted Hide Post
Use it as a rug and when it wears out, shoot another.

Posts: 5886 | Location: Sydney,Australia  | Registered: 03 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Norwegianhunter
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ozhunter:
Use it as a rug and when it wears out, shoot another.

I got to do that, I used mine as a rug and nearly all the hair is gone. I`v got to shoot another Zebra.

Salesagent

Africa hunting

Posts: 131 | Location: Loeten the home of the aquavit, Norway | Registered: 12 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My first zebra has been on the floor for two years now, no problems, and I'm going to shoot another zebra on my next trip to have as a spare. A felt backing is a good method to make the rug last longer.
LLS

Posts: 996 | Location: Texas | Registered: 14 October 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of L. David Keith
posted Hide Post
For a Zebra rug to last for the duration, have it finished and hang on your wall. One of the best rugmakers is our own Mary H-Kruger (Chris's wife). She can be contacted via PM from the Taxidermy forum. Many Professional Taxidermists send their rug work to Mary. Walk on a Zebra and over time you'll break down the hairs and then the fibers of the leather.
LDK

Gray Ghost Hunting Safaris
http://grayghostsafaris.com Phone: 615-860-4333
Email: hunts@grayghostsafaris.com
NRA Benefactor
DSC Professional Member
SCI Member
RMEF Life Member
NWTF Guardian Life Sponsor
NAHC Life Member
Rowland Ward - SCI Scorer
Took the wife the Eastern Cape for her first hunt:
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6881000262
Hunting in the Stormberg, Winterberg and Hankey Mountains of the Eastern Cape 2018
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/4801073142
Hunting the Eastern Cape, RSA May 22nd - June 15th 2007
http://forums.accuratereloadin...=810104007#810104007
16 Days in Zimbabwe: Leopard, plains game, fowl and more:
http://forums.accuratereloadin...=212108409#212108409
Natal: Rhino, Croc, Nyala, Bushbuck and more
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6341092311
Recent hunt in the Eastern Cape, August 2010: Pics added
http://forums.accuratereloadin...261039941#9261039941
10 days in the Stormberg Mountains
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/7781081322
Back in the Stormberg Mountains with friends: May-June 2017
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6001078232

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading" - Thomas Jefferson

Every morning the Zebra wakes up knowing it must outrun the fastest Lion if it wants to stay alive. Every morning the Lion wakes up knowing it must outrun the slowest Zebra or it will starve. It makes no difference if you are a Zebra or a Lion; when the Sun comes up in Africa, you must wake up running......

"If you're being chased by a Lion, you don't have to be faster than the Lion, you just have to be faster than the person next to you."

Posts: 6824 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: 18 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Mary Hilliard-Krueger
posted Hide Post
Thanks David. I have been trying to post this response on and off tonite and the site would just go offline when I went to post it....

Zebra's are the number one rug that I restore due to tears from foot traffic.

If your zebra skin does not have any backing on it, the leather will start to dry rot over a few years and it will be more susceptible to tearing. Humidity and changing house temperatures help expedite this process. If you do desire to use it as an actual 'rug' the best way to protect it is to have a leather border sewn on it and a thin carpet adhered to the back. This will keep the zebra nice and flat and slow down the damage from foot traffic. It will though, over many years, start to show damage, this is unavoidable.

A stretched zebra with a nice scalloped leather border, quilter's padding and a heavy backing, would display nicely hung on a wall and remain undamaged for your lifetime.

Most of my clients who want their zebras on the floor put them under a table to avoid foot traffic and a few bring them out, from under the table,and into the open floor only for parties and special occasions.

Kind regards,
Mary

Taxidermist/Rugmaker

Posts: 904 | Location: Phoenix, Arizona | Registered: 12 April 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of TheBigGuy
posted Hide Post
You can buy a cheap skin at a shop over there for the floor. Hang your trophy rug on the wall like a tapestry.

Animal hides with hair won't outlast any other "soft" floor covering in high traffic areas.

The only excuse you need to shoot another is you want to. Wink

Posts: 1282 | Registered: 17 September 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I love having Zebra rugs in my trophy room and they are holding up great even with my 3yr old twins. One likes to sit on the rug while the other one pulls the tail and drags his brother around the room. When they wear out I will gop get another one.

If your parents didn't have any children chances are you won't either.

Posts: 478 | Location: Davie Florida | Registered: 15 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Stonecreek

I have a zebra rug Jerry Huffaker made for me in the foyer of our home and everybody walks on it coming and going. It is wearing remarkably well an is a real attention getter for folks entering the home. As others have said if it gets too ratty I'll just have another made. I like it that much.

Mark

MARK H. YOUNG
MARK'S EXCLUSIVE ADVENTURES
7094 Oakleigh Dr. Las Vegas, NV 89110
Office 702-848-1693
Cell, Whats App, Signal 307-250-1156 PREFERRED
E-mail markttc@msn.com
Check us out on https://www.facebook.com/pages...ures/627027353990716

Posts: 13023 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Jerry did several whitetails and pronghorns for me when I lived in the Abilene area. He does first class work.

One of Us
Picture of billrquimby
posted Hide Post
I have one that has been on the floor under a coffee table betwee two couches about five or six years at my cabin with no problems. It still looks like the day I put it down. It was never mounted on a backing, though, so it lays flat.

It seems to me that a soft backing would allow the leather to stretch (and eventually break or tear) whenever someone stepped on it, especially a woman wearing high-heeled shoes.

Bill Quimby

Posts: 2633 | Location: tucson and greer arizona | Registered: 02 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Here is where we have our zebra rug, as mentioned before:

One of Us
Picture of RREESE
posted Hide Post
Cover it with a hyena and you should be fine. Smiler

NRA Endowment Member

Posts: 269 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 23 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jorge
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Use Enough Gun:
Here is where we have our zebra rug, as mentioned before:

Thanks for the lion shot again Smiler jorge

USN (ret)
DRSS Verney-Carron 450NE
Cogswell & Harrison 375 Fl NE
Sabatti Big Five 375 FL Magnum NE
DSC Life Member
NRA Life Member

Posts: 7149 | Location: Orange Park, Florida. USA | Registered: 22 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My pleasure jorge. Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin