Notify
Tools

Elephant Charge!! (good footage)
 Login/Join

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Safari-Hunt:
Whatever the real story my hat is off to the ph who dropped the elephant at the last possible chance. Very well done to save anyone from injury.

Exactly right Frederik!
He did his job to a tee, almost waited too long on that one.
Body language after the 2nd shot is the tell all, he is obviously upset at the turn of events that ended in the Ele's death.

Posts: 434 | Location: Wetcoast | Registered: 31 October 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ozhunter:
White or light Khaki, both are a problem in bright conditions imo.

This fits my experience. The only charge I've been involved in that resulted in having to kill the ele was focused on the cameraman, who was the only one wearing a light khaki shirt. It was the unanimous opinion of all observers that the ele had picked him out to kill. The rest of us, including those standing next to the cameraman on either side were wearing dark olive or green and one fellow in green was a closer and more direct target, but the ele ignored him and went for the khaki instead..

JPK

Free 500grains

Posts: 4900 | Location: Chevy Chase, Md. | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of David Hulme
posted Hide Post
This fits my experience. The only charge I've been involved in that resulted in having to kill the ele was focused on the cameraman, who was the only one wearing a light khaki shirt. It was the unanimous opinion of all observers that the ele had picked him out to kill. The rest of us, including those standing next to the cameraman on either side were wearing dark olive or green and one fellow in green was a closer and more direct target, but the ele ignored him and went for the khaki instead..

Eish!! That cameraman was lucky to be with
a couple of big stoppers eh?

Posts: 2270 | Location: Zimbabwe | Registered: 28 February 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Will
posted Hide Post
That's why I wear bright khaki. Bring 'em on!

But I also think it is a falacy that elephants can't see. If they WANT TO they can see movement at a great distance.

-------------------------------
Will Stewart / Once you've been amongst them, there is no such thing as too much gun.
---------------------------------------
and, God Bless John Wayne.

NRA Benefactor Member, GOA, N.A.G.R.

"Elephant and Elephant Guns" $99 shipped
“Hunting Africa's Dangerous Game" $20 shipped.

red.dirt.elephant@gmail.com

Hoping to wind up where elephant hunters go.

Posts: 19361 | Location: Ocala Flats | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill C
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Will:
I heard if you wear blue they charge the guy next to you. Wink

Posts: 3153 | Location: PA | Registered: 02 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by David Hulme:

Eish!! That cameraman was lucky to be with
a couple of big stoppers eh?

In case anyone is wondering about Dave Hulme's post - HE WAS THE CAMERAMAN THE ELEPHANT PICKED OUT!! And he not only held his ground but took an incredible serries of photos of the charge as well!!

JPK

Free 500grains

Posts: 4900 | Location: Chevy Chase, Md. | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:

But I also think it is a falacy that elephants can't see. If they WANT TO they can see movement at a great distance.

Will I agree 110% with your assessment.

The bull about elephants not having excellent vision is just that. As you say, when they WANT to they can see plenty well. But since they have only man, and very rarely lion, as a preditor, they will zoom out at times, especially it seems when they are loafing in the midday.

JPK

Free 500grains

One of Us
Picture of David Hulme
posted Hide Post
JPK

I trust you are well, Sir. I'm sorry I haven't been in touch for so long. A few months ago, I had the terrible misfortune of having everything I owned stolen. Admitedly it was not much, but it did include my wonderful laptop which was basically my entire universe. I have been slowly putting the pieces back together and retrieving/re-doing all the work I lost.
That is the reason why I've been so out of touch recently, and why my AR posts have dried up. Things are on the up and I shall send you an email soon.

Take good care my friend

Dave

one of us
posted Hide Post
Sorry to hear about your theft David. That was some good video work though. clap

Posts: 4168 | Location: Texas | Registered: 18 June 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of David Hulme
posted Hide Post
Hello Yukon

I didn't take video footage but rather a stills photo sequence. I think most have seen the pictures but here's a link to JPK's hunt anyhow. It was a mind-blowing hunt, I can tell you that much.

Dave

one of us
Picture of David W
posted Hide Post
FWIW, I believe the videographer on the hunt was Paul Simone, a friend of Razor's from Texas.

Posts: 1046 | Location: Kerrville, Texas USA | Registered: 02 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Just to be clear, Dave Hulme is the cameraman which a cow that charged my hunting party picked out to kill. (Becuase, it seemed, that he wore a khaki shirt while the rest of us wore green or olive.)

Similarly to the charge that is the central feature to this thread, it occurred in the Save Conservancy.

As I mentioned, Dave held his ground and took a fantastic series of photos. You can find these with a search of his or my posts. Recall that Dave was unarmed, but for his camera!! Brave man!!

JPK

Free 500grains

one of us
Picture of Will
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JPK:
Just to be clear, Dave Hulme is the cameraman which a cow that charged my hunting party picked out to kill. (Becuase, it seemed, that he wore a khaki shirt while the rest of us wore green or olive.)

Similarly to the charge that is the central feature to this thread, it occurred in the Save Conservancy.

As I mentioned, Dave held his ground and took a fantastic series of photos. You can find these with a search of his or my posts. Recall that Dave was unarmed, but for his camera!! Brave man!!

JPK

Come on, man, I want to see pictures! Wink

-------------------------------
Will Stewart / Once you've been amongst them, there is no such thing as too much gun.
---------------------------------------
and, God Bless John Wayne.

NRA Benefactor Member, GOA, N.A.G.R.

"Elephant and Elephant Guns" $99 shipped
“Hunting Africa's Dangerous Game" $20 shipped.

red.dirt.elephant@gmail.com

Hoping to wind up where elephant hunters go.

Posts: 19361 | Location: Ocala Flats | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Charles_Helm
posted Hide Post
quote:

I believe the pictures are in this thread.

Posts: 8773 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Charles_Helm:
quote:

I believe the pictures are in this thread.

Thank you Charles.

Will, you have seen them before, I believe.

JPK

Free 500grains