THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AFRICAN HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  African Big Game Hunting    Have any other hunters found this to be a problem?
Page 1 2 

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Have any other hunters found this to be a problem?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I think a lot of people are over sensitive about language (and many other things) -personally if I´m interested in a discussion I´ll just ask them to speak English. As I speak Swedish and some German I can understand some Afrikaans so maybe that´s why I don´t react strongly...

I don´t like people smoking in enclosed areas when I´m around but out by the braai it´s quite acceptable.

http://www.tgsafari.co.za

"What doesn´t kill you makes you stranger!"

Posts: 2213 | Location: Finland | Registered: 02 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I think in the last few years attitudes have changed and PH's are much more careful about smoking around clients. Personally I don't care if PH's smoke as long as they are not obnoxious about it and don't smoke in the Land Cruiser cab or at the dinner table.

As for the language issue I absolutely think it is rude for PH's to converse at length in a tongue the client does not understand particulary when the PH's are fluent in the client's language.

I have been totally ignored at dinner as the PH and appy discussed business at length in their language. In that case it was just as well since the PH was only interested in speaking about himself anyway.

Mark

MARK H. YOUNG
MARK'S EXCLUSIVE ADVENTURES
7094 Oakleigh Dr. Las Vegas, NV 89110
Office 702-848-1693
Cell, Whats App, Signal 307-250-1156 PREFERRED
E-mail markttc@msn.com
Check us out on https://www.facebook.com/pages...ures/627027353990716

Posts: 13008 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 375 fanatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mighty Joe:
In the Kalahari of Botswana, the trackers smoked pot the entire hunt. Never saw them smoke tobacco once. They would actually be running in the sand for over an hour and would pass the doubie back and forth when they crossed another's path.

I asked my 14 year old son what that smell was to see if he knew. Well, he passed my test and his eyes grew wide when I told him what it was.

If someone asks me what was the one most memorable thing about Africa, I always respond that the skill and ability of the trackers in the shifting sand is most definitely it. Just can't figure out how they do it stoned!

Joe its is amazing but the black people believes in weed they can do amazing things after smoking it they also make a tea out of it. next time ask them they will tell you without shame that it gives them power. we were doing renovations in one of my previous shops and had to break down concrete wall it took one guy 1 night to breakdown about 35m2 with a 10 pound hammer and 2 dagga zole i didnt complain once to open the door for him to smoke 3days production in one day what a bargain.

i also feel that your ph should be sensitive to smoking and language one or two sentences a night wont hurt anybody but long conversations will at the end of the day you are the guest.

i have encountered english people who makes fun off our accent and prenounciation and it is not on, most afrikaans people can speak 3 to 5 languages. there is english people that stays in africa for 20 odd years and wont speak a word afrikaans or zulu for instance that is absolute bull. then they coment on how you speak it i still dont say the thh sound right but when they get personal about it i just say agg thuck you

the moral of the story is every body must respct everybodies language and culture and respect the situation and the company your in and dont fault a person that is trying

THANKs FOR GREAT ADVICE and there is always something to learn in every situation

"Buy land they have stopped making it"- Mark Twain

Posts: 914 | Location: Burgersfort the big Kudu mekka of South Africa | Registered: 27 April 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jerry Huffaker:
I personally could care less how they talk to their friends and trackers. I just think they should be courteous and professional when speaking to me and my wife. I'm not a smoker and don't mind if my PH smokes, but I have to ask what's the difference in your PH smoking around you and standing around a campfire every evening?

thumb I agree with you. I've never had one client complain about campfire smoke; if they got too much smoke, they simply moved their chair. When I did smoke on safaris, it would be in the bush, and if after dinner, (in open air mess) I'd excuse myself and step a safe distance away to lite up a cig, while staying within conversation range (in english). However, on the other side of the coin, I've had several clients lite up cheap foul smelling cigars right next to me while I'm eating dinner without even thinking to ask if it bothered me. But, they are the client, and his paying for a safari makes it possible for me to be there as well! This is just to illustrate that we on occasion have to put up with rudeness as well.

Posts: 353 | Location: tanzania, east africa | Registered: 27 March 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly ESS:
Personally, I find it a bit arrogant to go to another country and demand that people not speak their mother tongue in their own country, regardless if you're paying the bill or not. It is a reasonable expectation to communicate with you in English, if that is your only language, but it is unreasonable to demand that they not speak in their own language with each other.

As far as smoking is concerned, neither my wife or I smoke, and furthermore my wife suffers from asthma. We try to avoid cigarette smoke whenever we can, but we also remember that most parts of the world have not discouraged smoking to the degree we have in North America. When cigarette smoke becomes a health issue due to my wife's asthma, we politely request a smoke free environment for her sake, and most nearby locals fall all over themselves to comply.

We are quick to demand that visitors and immigrants to our country comply with our customs and language in total and unconditionally. We would do well to bear that in mind when travelling.

Very well said.

Posts: 11729 | Location: Florida | Registered: 25 October 2006Reply With Quote