New
Find
Notify
Tools

404J Ammo opinions
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I will be in Zim next month for Buff & Tuskless.
Should I use the Hornady 400s at 2300fps or the Norma PH 450 grain Woodleighs at 2,150fps. My rifle shoots both very well. I do not reload. Velocities are quoted from the box. My rifle has a 23.5" barrel. Just curious.

Thanks

BUTCH

C'est Tout Bon
(It is all good)

Posts: 1926 | Location: Lafayette, LA | Registered: 05 October 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Butch,

I personally have no expereince with the 404 but Lon Paul who has built many rifles for PH's told me his feedback is that the 450 Norma ammo in the 404 will shoot lengthwise through a buffalo. Sounds sufficient to me.

Mark

MARK H. YOUNG
MARK'S EXCLUSIVE ADVENTURES
7094 Oakleigh Dr. Las Vegas, NV 89110
Office 702-848-1693
Cell, Whats App, Signal 307-250-1156 PREFERRED
E-mail markttc@msn.com
Check us out on https://www.facebook.com/pages...ures/627027353990716

Posts: 12880 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks Mark.

Anybody else have an opinion?

Thanks

BUTCH

C'est Tout Bon
(It is all good)

Posts: 1926 | Location: Lafayette, LA | Registered: 05 October 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Why not shoot the Hornadys at buffalo and the Woodleigh solids at the tuskless? The velocity increase might give you a small edge if you have to shoot a buff at distance. MMP

one of us
posted Hide Post
I rolled my own loading 400gr woodleighs at 2185. Personally I would shoot the one that your rifle likes the best. I believe that either will do the job.

Posts: 1903 | Location: Greensburg, Pa. | Registered: 09 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 404WJJeffery
posted Hide Post
I think...you will have a great time---especially with that very nice 404J you have....

"Are you gonna pull them pistols,...or whistle Dixie??"

Josie Wales 1866

Posts: 1489 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: 19 July 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
How far apart do the different rounds hit at 100 yards?

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Tony,

Within brands there is only about 1" difference between the softs and solids.

The Normas shoot 2" right and 1" low to the Hornadys.

The rifle is presently sighted in with the Hornadys.

BUTCH

C'est Tout Bon
(It is all good)

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Joel,

I,like you, have too many to choose from, but I really like the way the 404J feels and handles better than others. My 470 Merkel may not make the trip because it is at the gunsmith and I haven't shot it enough and the trip is only 4 weeks away.

Thanks for selling me that rifle.

BUTCH

C'est Tout Bon
(It is all good)

posted Hide Post
DEFINTELY the heavier Norma load. The .404 was not all that well respected when it first came out. Later it did a bit better, but like the 416 Rigby it was never a stopping cartridge, just a hunting cartridge. By upgrading to the 450 gr bullet you get a lot closer to have a stopping rifle in your hands.

Posts: 9 | Location: Lone Star State | Registered: 14 May 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Just my own humble opinion for what it's worth. I don't like changing bullet weights on the same hunt for different game. Get's too confusing. I try to pick my bullet for the heaviest game I'm going to hunt and then live with those limitations as far trajectory. For example, impala die quite nicely from a 400 grain solid, they may run a bit, but not far. Beats making a mistake as to which load was in the rifle or miscalculating the drop at 200 yards, thinking you had a lighter bullet. Maybe I'm just a bit simple, but changing anything more than softs to solids is too complicated for me.

Posts: 10038 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 26 December 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
If they hit that close together, and you feel comfortable with it you might use both.

Put one type in the chamber and the other in the magazine.

Chances you will have to shoot the buff more than once, and will have results on both.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I do agree with lavaca, if the different bullets hit far apart.

Since the Hornadays are faster, they will be better at longer range trajectory wise.

I would probably use them as my main choice, but I just might have a 450 grain soft in the chamber when stalking buff.