THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AFRICAN HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  African Big Game Hunting    All my African hunters and families in Texas
Page 1 2 

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

All my African hunters and families in Texas
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Our country would be perish without those kind of men.

Posts: 1815 | Location: Sinton, Texas | Registered: 08 November 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bwanamrm:
"Let this sink in for a minute.....Hundreds and hundreds of small boats pulled by countless pickups and SUVs from across the South are headed for Houston. Almost all of them driven by men. They're using their own property, sacrificing their own time, spending their own money, and risking their own lives for one reason: to help total strangers in desperate need.

Most of them are by themselves. Most are dressed like the redneck duck hunters and bass fisherman they are. Many are veterans. Most are wearing well-used gimme-hats, t-shirts, and jeans; and there's a preponderance of camo. Most are probably gun owners, and most probably voted for Trump.

These are the people the Left loves to hate, the ones Maddow mocks. The ones Maher and Olbermann just *know* they're so much better than.

These are The Quiet Ones. They don't wear masks and tear down statues. They don't, as a rule, march and demonstrate. And most have probably never been in a Whole Foods.

But they'll spend the next several days wading in cold, dirty water; dodging gators and water moccasins and fire ants; eating whatever meager rations are available; and sleeping wherever they can in dirty, damp clothes. Their reward is the tears and the hugs and the smiles from the terrified people they help. They'll deliver one boatload, and then go back for more.

When disaster strikes, it's what men do. Real men. Heroic men. American men. And then they'll knock back a few shots, or a few beers with like-minded men they've never met before, and talk about fish, or ten-point bucks, or the benefits of hollow-point ammo, or their F-150.

And the next time they hear someone talk about "the patriarchy", or "male privilege", they'll snort, turn off the TV and go to bed.

In the meantime, they'll likely be up again before dawn. To do it again. Until the helpless are rescued. And the work's done.

They're unlikely to be reimbursed. There won't be medals. They won't care. They're heroes. And it's what they do.

Taken from a well spoken dude just like most of us"

Borrowed this from Facebook... so true. And again thanks to our own Mike Burke who hooked up his boat and drove From New Iberia to Houston to help!

Thanks for posting Russell! Great tribute to "my friends."

Dee and the Harkey Family rode out the storm with a mutual friend of ours in College Station.

They headed back to assess the damage already...but have not heard the report yet.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
J. Lane Easter, DVM

A born Texan has instilled in his system a mind-set of no retreat or no surrender. I wish everyone the world over had the dominating spirit that motivates Texans.– Billy Clayton, Speaker of the Texas House

No state commands such fierce pride and loyalty. Lesser mortals are pitied for their misfortune in not being born in Texas.— Queen Elizabeth II on her visit to Texas in May, 1991.

Posts: 37790 | Location: Gainesville, TX | Registered: 24 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bwanamrm:
"Let this sink in for a minute.....Hundreds and hundreds of small boats pulled by countless pickups and SUVs from across the South are headed for Houston. Almost all of them driven by men. They're using their own property, sacrificing their own time, spending their own money, and risking their own lives for one reason: to help total strangers in desperate need.

Most of them are by themselves. Most are dressed like the redneck duck hunters and bass fisherman they are. Many are veterans. Most are wearing well-used gimme-hats, t-shirts, and jeans; and there's a preponderance of camo. Most are probably gun owners, and most probably voted for Trump.

These are the people the Left loves to hate, the ones Maddow mocks. The ones Maher and Olbermann just *know* they're so much better than.

These are The Quiet Ones. They don't wear masks and tear down statues. They don't, as a rule, march and demonstrate. And most have probably never been in a Whole Foods.

But they'll spend the next several days wading in cold, dirty water; dodging gators and water moccasins and fire ants; eating whatever meager rations are available; and sleeping wherever they can in dirty, damp clothes. Their reward is the tears and the hugs and the smiles from the terrified people they help. They'll deliver one boatload, and then go back for more.

When disaster strikes, it's what men do. Real men. Heroic men. American men. And then they'll knock back a few shots, or a few beers with like-minded men they've never met before, and talk about fish, or ten-point bucks, or the benefits of hollow-point ammo, or their F-150.

And the next time they hear someone talk about "the patriarchy", or "male privilege", they'll snort, turn off the TV and go to bed.

In the meantime, they'll likely be up again before dawn. To do it again. Until the helpless are rescued. And the work's done.

They're unlikely to be reimbursed. There won't be medals. They won't care. They're heroes. And it's what they do.

Taken from a well spoken dude just like most of us"

Borrowed this from Facebook... so true. And again thanks to our own Mike Burke who hooked up his boat and drove From New Iberia to Houston to help!

tu2

Just outstanding!

Posts: 42341 | Location: Crosby and Barksdale, Texas | Registered: 18 September 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of L. David Keith
posted Hide Post
tu2 Absolutely Russell, it's what made this country America! Prayers to all affected by this Hurricane. We're getting the wind and rain from it in middle Tennessee. Tornado sirens most of last night and it's been raining for two days. Fortunately only a non stop drizzle today but the Cumberland river is rising. We live in a great country; shame some can't see that...or just want to be vermin.

Gray Ghost Hunting Safaris
http://grayghostsafaris.com Phone: 615-860-4333
Email: hunts@grayghostsafaris.com
NRA Benefactor
DSC Professional Member
SCI Member
RMEF Life Member
NWTF Guardian Life Sponsor
NAHC Life Member
Rowland Ward - SCI Scorer
Took the wife the Eastern Cape for her first hunt:
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6881000262
Hunting in the Stormberg, Winterberg and Hankey Mountains of the Eastern Cape 2018
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/4801073142
Hunting the Eastern Cape, RSA May 22nd - June 15th 2007
http://forums.accuratereloadin...=810104007#810104007
16 Days in Zimbabwe: Leopard, plains game, fowl and more:
http://forums.accuratereloadin...=212108409#212108409
Natal: Rhino, Croc, Nyala, Bushbuck and more
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6341092311
Recent hunt in the Eastern Cape, August 2010: Pics added
http://forums.accuratereloadin...261039941#9261039941
10 days in the Stormberg Mountains
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/7781081322
Back in the Stormberg Mountains with friends: May-June 2017
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6001078232

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading" - Thomas Jefferson

Every morning the Zebra wakes up knowing it must outrun the fastest Lion if it wants to stay alive. Every morning the Lion wakes up knowing it must outrun the slowest Zebra or it will starve. It makes no difference if you are a Zebra or a Lion; when the Sun comes up in Africa, you must wake up running......

"If you're being chased by a Lion, you don't have to be faster than the Lion, you just have to be faster than the person next to you."

Posts: 6814 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: 18 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
And in addition to folks like Mike Burke, just a public and very heartfelt thank you to JTEX. Jim helped a very dear couple to me retain a small piece of a life that otherwise has been turned completely upside down. He knows what he did and he knows that they appreciate it more than words would allow.

Mike

Posts: 21684 | Registered: 03 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
Hear hear! beer

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
J. Lane Easter, DVM

A born Texan has instilled in his system a mind-set of no retreat or no surrender. I wish everyone the world over had the dominating spirit that motivates Texans.– Billy Clayton, Speaker of the Texas House

No state commands such fierce pride and loyalty. Lesser mortals are pitied for their misfortune in not being born in Texas.— Queen Elizabeth II on her visit to Texas in May, 1991.

Posts: 37790 | Location: Gainesville, TX | Registered: 24 December 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of bwanamrm
posted Hide Post
Thanks Jim!!!

Glad to see you resurface MJ... everything as ok as it can be?

On the plains of hesitation lie the bleached bones of ten thousand, who on the dawn of victory lay down their weary heads resting, and there resting, died.

If you can talk with crowds and keep your virtue,
Or walk with Kings - nor lose the common touch...
Yours is the Earth and everything that's in it,
And - which is more - you'll be a Man, my son!
- Rudyard Kipling

Life grows grim without senseless indulgence.

Posts: 7558 | Location: Victoria, Texas | Registered: 30 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Michael Robinson
posted Hide Post
Thank God that our AR friends have weathered this storm.

I would sooner have a Texan by my side during hard times than any other species of man.

Hang in there my friends, and best of luck.

I am giving my money to All Hand Volunteers, who are helping those who cannot help themselves. All Hands Volunteers

Too many without flood insurance, far too many.

Mike

Wilderness is my cathedral, and hunting is my prayer.

Posts: 13623 | Location: New England | Registered: 06 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of cable68
posted Hide Post
I grew up in Wharton, Mom still lives there, and little sister is in East Bernard. Neither one directly affected. Not sure how much of East Bernard flooded, but saw Wharton flooded to "historic" levels.

Caleb

Posts: 1010 | Location: Texan in Muskogee, OK now moved to Wichita, KS | Registered: 28 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BNagel
posted Hide Post
We're downstream from Houston. My neighbors will be dealing with what is decided upstream for a very long time. Guess I now have something to do, helping with "mucking out" and all the rebuilding that will go on for years. Those with boats, high-wheeled vehicles and so on have set the standard for how to respond. God bless all who have acted selflessly and may we become both humble and grateful, knowing we all need one another. My across-the-street neighbor looks "black" and is solidly Texan -- rather have him on my side than anyone else, if I ever need it. I call him Mike, cause that's his name.

Posts: 4881 | Location: Bryan, Texas | Registered: 12 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BNagel
posted Hide Post
And, like everyone else on the Gulf Coast, we "pray" hurricanes away from where we live. Irma after Harvey is just too painful a thought!! Nevertheless, Florida getting impacted still hurts your heart. Western wildfires likewise, but who can rescue those whose stuff is toast?

By the way, these things happen in Asia all the time to people with zero resources. Still makes the tears come.

Posts: 4881 | Location: Bryan, Texas | Registered: 12 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Michael Robinson:

So true. So many do not understand this issue. This is what will devastate many lives.

Posts: 12094 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: 26 January 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by larryshores:
quote:
Originally posted by Michael Robinson:

So true. So many do not understand this issue. This is what will devastate many lives.

Larry you and Jorge need to get the hell out of Dodge before the next one hits Florida! That one is going to make Houston look like a walk in the park!

.......................Praying for you!
......................Mac old

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Echo what Mac said. Wish the best to Larry, Jorge and all of our Florida friends. Looks like you're in for a wild ride.

I'm stranded in our Dallas office for at least another week. House came through Harvey fine, but our Houston office building flooded in the basement and has no electricity or elevators. They are now predicting we won't be in before sometime in October. We have temporary space lined up, but won't have computers up and running until September 19 or so. So glad we went with the laptops and docking stations when we formed the new firm last year. It's the "or so" that worries me. I have trial settings in October and the files are in an office on the 18th floor of an office building that they won't allow me to access.

Good luck to our friends in Florida. Wish you the best.

Posts: 10319 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 26 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
This one is different that the Houston. FAR more wind. I expect far less flooding.

I am an old FL cracker ( no that is not a racist term). I have been through many many of these storms. I know what to do. We have been prepared since 6/30. I am riding it out.

This storm has been difficult to predict. The path changes daily. The latest has a further shift to the west. This shift is fantastic news for my home and business. Expected highest winds here are around 70 MPH. However, this is terrible news for my ranch.

My ranch is 6 miles off the Gulf near Cedar Key, FL. I just bought it a few weeks ago. I have worked my ass off putting in food plots, feeders, stands, etc. Earlier this week, they delivered a new house trailer and were in the process of hooking everything up. Electricity, AC, Water, etc. On Tuesday of next week, we had a list of deliveries and installations scheduled. Furniture, satellite dish, wifi, etc. Late yesterday, they issued a mandatory evacuation for the entire county that the ranch is located in. Well, that not only stopped work but raised questions about whether my new trailer will be habitable when this is over. After all of this work and all of this money,it looks like I will not be hunting my own property when bow season starts a week from today. That sucks.

I have to tell you that I have been contacted with well wishes and offers of help by several members of AR. Some have offered to have us come and stay with them. There are good people in this world.

Thanks for the concern!

Posts: 12094 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: 26 January 2006Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
You are all in our thoughts Larry.

We wish you the best during these terrible times.

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 68668 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Sorry to hear that Larry. By the way guys, I do a whole lot of insurance litigation and if you live near the coast, make sure you have both flood and windstorm coverage. If you are right on the coast, the underwriters will usually automatically put in a windstorm exclusion endorsement, meaning you have to purchase the insurance for windstorm from what is basically a state guarantee fund (TWIA in Texas). If you don't buy it, you don't have windstorm coverage, which is the main thing I am concerned about living on the Gulf Coast.

The other big thing to watch is that most property policies are either "All Risk" meaning it's covered unless it's excluded or "Covered Cause of Loss" meaning it's not covered unless it's specifically listed. Either way, most of them exclude flood, which includes rising water, surface water, tidal water, etc., you get the idea. Shockingly, it has been reported that 80% of Houstonians did not have flood insurance.

Make sure you have flood and windstorm coverage. Unfortunately, I'm sure Florida is under a moratorium right now so underwriters aren't going to write it.

Posts: 10319 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 26 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by lavaca:
Sorry to hear that Larry. By the way guys, I do a whole lot of insurance litigation and if you live near the coast, make sure you have both flood and windstorm coverage. If you are right on the coast, the underwriters will usually automatically put in a windstorm exclusion endorsement, meaning you have to purchase the insurance for windstorm from what is basically a state guarantee fund (TWIA in Texas). If you don't buy it, you don't have windstorm coverage, which is the main thing I am concerned about living on the Gulf Coast.

The other big thing to watch is that most property policies are either "All Risk" meaning it's covered unless it's excluded or "Covered Cause of Loss" meaning it's not covered unless it's specifically listed. Either way, most of them exclude flood, which includes rising water, surface water, tidal water, etc., you get the idea. Shockingly, it has been reported that 80% of Houstonians did not have flood insurance.

Make sure you have flood and windstorm coverage. Unfortunately, I'm sure Florida is under a moratorium right now so underwriters aren't going to write it.

Thanks.

I am not a lawyer but I work with insurance companies all over the world. You are right. Especially about the flooding. People are clueless when it comes to this.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Not real surprised about that 80% number. I was in the P&C business in Houston back in the early '90's. The vast majority of business owners never even heard of the National Flood Insurance Program (NFIP), much less bought flood insurance. They mostly cared about keeping their premiums as low as possible.

Posts: 2276 | Location: West Texas | Registered: 07 December 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Michael Robinson
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by lavaca:

100%. Best of luck and Godspeed to our Florida friends.

Mike

Wilderness is my cathedral, and hunting is my prayer.

Posts: 13623 | Location: New England | Registered: 06 June 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of bwanamrm
posted Hide Post
Looks like a big one... God Bless Florida!

On the plains of hesitation lie the bleached bones of ten thousand, who on the dawn of victory lay down their weary heads resting, and there resting, died.

If you can talk with crowds and keep your virtue,
Or walk with Kings - nor lose the common touch...
Yours is the Earth and everything that's in it,
And - which is more - you'll be a Man, my son!
- Rudyard Kipling

Life grows grim without senseless indulgence.

Posts: 7558 | Location: Victoria, Texas | Registered: 30 March 2003Reply With Quote