THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AFRICAN HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  African Big Game Hunting    All my African hunters and families in Texas
Page 1 2 

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

All my African hunters and families in Texas
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of retreever
posted
Wish all of you best wishes and be safe in the path of the cat 4 hurricane...

Mike

Michael Podwika... DRSS bigbores and hunting www.pvt.co.za " MAKE THE SHOT " 450#2 Famars

Posts: 6768 | Location: Wyoming, Pa. USA | Registered: 17 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Mike,

Appreciate the thoughts. You have far better insights than most because of Agnes back in'72 if I recall correctly.

Best wishes,

Posts: 403 | Location: Houston | Registered: 09 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
One of our regular members lives in Sinton. They are very close to where the eye will pass shortly. Keep he and his family in your thoughts. Winds are forecast to be near 100 in Sinton.

Mike

Posts: 21681 | Registered: 03 January 2006Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
Our thoughts are with them.

I was in Houston when Alicia came.

Best of luck for them to get through it safely.

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 68662 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Slider
posted Hide Post
Be safe.

Posts: 2694 | Location: East Wenatchee | Registered: 18 August 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Canuck32
posted Hide Post
Hopefully people who decided to stay have prepared better than this pinhead.

Calgarian prepares for Texas Hurricane

If you have that much to fight for, then you should be fighting. The sentiment that modern day ordinary Canadians do not need firearms for protection is pleasant but unrealistic. To discourage responsible deserving Canadians from possessing firearms for lawful self-defence and other legitimate purposes is to risk sacrificing them at the altar of political correctness."

- Alberta Provincial Court Judge Demetrick

Posts: 615 | Location: Alberta | Registered: 17 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Prayers sent to those Texans affected.

Posts: 2276 | Location: West Texas | Registered: 07 December 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of lee440
posted Hide Post
So far, so good for my area. Houston was not on the predicted path, so no reason for our Canadian buddy to panic or leave. The biggest worry will be flooding as the storm sits on top of us for the next several days. Preliminary reports seem to be not as much damage as was expected but daylight will tell. News reports so far do not report any tornados in Harris county, which for all intents due to urban sprawl, is pretty much considered Houston . From early news video reports down around Rockport, where the Hurricane went ashore, damage shown does not look anywhere as bad as I expected, but again, it is early, but the news vultures always migrate to the worst damage and so far I have not seen, on screen, near the damage to buildings, that I would have expected. I hope this is so!

DRSS(We Band of Bubba's Div.)
N.R.A (Life)
T.S.R.A (Life)
D.S.C.

Posts: 2272 | Location: Texas | Registered: 18 May 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by lee440:
So far, so good for my area. Houston was not on the predicted path, so no reason for our Canadian buddy to panic or leave. The biggest worry will be flooding as the storm sits on top of us for the next several days. Preliminary reports seem to be not as much damage as was expected but daylight will tell. News reports so far do not report any tornados in Harris county, which for all intents due to urban sprawl, is pretty much considered Houston . From early news video reports down around Rocksprings, where the Hurricane went ashore, damage shown does not look anywhere as bad as I expected, but again, it is early, but the news vultures always migrate to the worst damage and so far I have not seen, on screen, near the damage to buildings, that I would have expected. I hope this is so!

I'm guessing you intended Rockport, instead of Rocksprings.

Go Duke!!

Posts: 1298 | Location: Texas | Registered: 25 January 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of DLS
posted Hide Post
My thoughts and prayers are with all Texans. We all hope that the next few days aren't as bad as predicted.

Posts: 3901 | Location: California | Registered: 01 January 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of tarbe
posted Hide Post
Right now it looks like Harvey is going to do the Texas Two-Step on the Corpus Christi area for about three to four days, then head more northerly vs previous northeast up the coast to Houston.

Good for Houston, really bad for the Corpus area.

All subject to the usual uncertainties. This is already a change from what I saw predicted just last night.

Tim

0351 USMC

Posts: 1535 | Location: Romance, Missouri | Registered: 04 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MJines:
One of our regular members lives in Sinton. They are very close to where the eye will pass shortly. Keep he and his family in your thoughts. Winds are forecast to be near 100 in Sinton.

Mike have you heard from Rusty? I hope they went out Northwest to the ranch south of San Angelo. I'm hoping Missouri City will not flood and ruin his home.

My prayers for those in the path are all safe!
.................................................................... old

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
Have not heard from Rusty, but have heard from some folks in Victoria and Sinton. They all came through fine . . . only minimal wind-related damage. Here in Houston, we have not had much wind but a good bit of rain today. Since midnight just over 5" where I am.

Mike

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have a client in Corpus. They are fine. However, the roof blew off their building. They also report looting.

Posts: 12094 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: 26 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of lee440
posted Hide Post
Good catch TBD, I corrected it. I have had little use for the national news media for the last many years, but I will tell you, the local news Drama Queens are so dissapointed that there is no mass destruction and deaths that they are all circleing the same damaged subdivision that received roof damage from what was obviously a tornado that passed over but did not touch down. They run about, scream and shout, one of them was reporting from Clear lake and claimed that the high water he was standing in was 3 feet deep when it actually, obviously, came up to the middle of his shin and he a'int no Yao Ming! American Media is irredemably pathetic!!

N.R.A (Life)
T.S.R.A (Life)
D.S.C.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
My son lives on the bay in Portland, the city was evacuated on Thursday and he is in Uvalde waiting out the storm. No information on if his house made it. The eye passed about 30 miles east of him in Rockport and got hammered. We're keeping out fingers crossed at this time for his house.
We have had rain like I have never seen in my life, absolutely incredible!!! We are about 50 miles north of the eye and predicting up to 30 inches in our area. Somebody definitely over prayed this one.

Posts: 725 | Location: Texas | Registered: 18 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Things in Houston haven't been that bad unless you were one of the unfortunate folks that were nailed by a tornado. I sure hope the tornado threat ends soon.

And flood issues will soon become a problem for areas around Houston.

Go Duke!!

one of us
Picture of tarbe
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Texas Blue Devil:
Things in Houston haven't been that bad unless you were one of the unfortunate folks that were nailed by a tornado. I sure hope the tornado threat ends soon.

And flood issues will soon become a problem for areas around Houston.

We had a tornado touch down one mile from my house as the crow flies.

Yikes!

Been raining all day off and on...but mostly on (and hard) the past two hours.

0351 USMC

Posts: 1535 | Location: Romance, Missouri | Registered: 04 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I just watched some Youtube video,...it looks like Rockport took a beating.

Go Duke!!

one of us
posted Hide Post
My best guess is that before it is over there will be thousands, maybe tens of thousands, in Houston (and some other areas) whose homes have flooded or will flood since heavy rains are likely to occur there off and on for the next several days. Wind damage is a much more limited problem (although not if your house or business is one seriously damaged or even blown away).

I'm not sure how well we are equipped to deal with many thousands of people without habitable homes and basic services. The flooding in New Orleans a few years ago was terrible, but the Houston metro area has nearly 10 times the population and many, many houses are in places where what may be a 500 year flooding event will submerge.

Posts: 13243 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Any word on Conroe Taxidermy? I have trophies I need to pick up at the showroom.

Posts: 267 | Location: Kingsville, Texas 78363 | Registered: 19 June 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by pevtsovy:
Any word on Conroe Taxidermy? I have trophies I need to pick up at the showroom.

Seriously?

Posts: 2276 | Location: West Texas | Registered: 07 December 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
You just gotta wonder........

Posts: 42341 | Location: Crosby and Barksdale, Texas | Registered: 18 September 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My daughter and son in law live in League City, near Kemah. Thankfully they left to visit the in-laws in Granbury for a few days. I'm wondering if their 1st story apartment is taking water yet. Could be lots worse though, and many have experienced it. Godspeed to those affected.

One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
We live in Northeast Houston about 10 miles from Bush Intercontinental Airport. Yesterday we had just under 6" of rain. Today since midnight we have had 9.81" of rain. I have lived in Houston through Allison, Alicia, Ike, etc. but never seen anything like this in terms of rain.

Mike

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Can't imagine that much rain. Supposedly League City has had 20" so far, with another 20" possible over next few days. Crazy.

I lived in Kingwood in early 90's before they got the parkway built over the lake. We moved shortly after that. Kingwood was a nice place.

One of Us
Picture of nhoro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MJines:
We live in Northeast Houston about 10 miles from Bush Intercontinental Airport. Yesterday we had just under 6" of rain. Today since midnight we have had 9.81" of rain. I have lived in Houston through Allison, Alicia, Ike, etc. but never seen anything like this in terms of rain.

Are you still OK Mike? We're on the west side (Katy), and its still raining (and will be for a couple more days) Unless the person reading the transit level suffered from dyslexia, we're a couple feet above the spillway of the Barker Reservoir - so hopefully fine. Been on the Gulf Coast for almost 30 years, and this tops all to date ....

JEB Katy, TX

Already I was beginning to fall into the African way of thinking: That if
you properly respect what you are after, and shoot it cleanly and on
the animal's terrain, if you imprison in your mind all the wonder of the
day from sky to smell to breeze to flowers—then you have not merely
killed an animal. You have lent immortality to a beast you have killed
because you loved him and wanted him forever so that you could always
recapture the day - Robert Ruark

DSC Life Member
NRA Life Member

One of Us
Picture of jjbull
posted Hide Post
You guys stay safe and get the hell out if you need to.

___________________________________________________________________________________

Give me the simple life; an AK-47, a good guard dog and a nymphomaniac who owns a liquor store.

Posts: 820 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota/Florida's Gulf Coast | Registered: 23 March 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
All the best to you all, looks like it isnt getting any better, stay safe.

Posts: 146 | Location: Zimbabwe | Registered: 06 November 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of lee440
posted Hide Post
The sun is trying to come out today, hopefully the drainage will continue and allow the freeways and interstates to open up and allow supplies to be brought in and the grocery stores restocked. The good side of Texas has certainly been demonstrated by so many people coming together to help their neighbors through a devastating natural disaster. Many of our neighbors from Louisiana showed up with boats to help and we have heard of folks from as far away as Ohio have showed up to lend a hand. Probably only people who have been through such a flood can really appreciate just how bad it can be, and they are the ones most likely to help.
For every good thing, there is a bad, and I urge all my fellow Texans to please be hyper-aware of their surroundings and conditions. Unfortunately, turds float, and they are starting to come out of the woodwork. DO NOT open your door to anyone you do not know. We have heard of thieves posing as police knocking on doors of occcupied, undamaged houses and doing home invasions. Now is the time to be vigilant and armed & prepared. It is a shame that in the face of all the goodwill that has been shown by 98% of the citizenry, You still have to beware of the bad . Stay safe, stay aware!

N.R.A (Life)
T.S.R.A (Life)
D.S.C.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Bwanamrm and I dodged a bullet by the skin of our teeth.

Mike Jines came out good considering he had 50 inches of rain.

Mike Burk is busy helping stranded folks in Houston by boat.

Biblical Rains to say the least.

Posts: 1815 | Location: Sinton, Texas | Registered: 08 November 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Jay...was praying for you guys down there! Great to here you all are well.

Prayers our to the many less fortunate!

Skip Nantz

Posts: 539 | Location: SouthEast, KY | Registered: 09 May 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Amen to that Skip!

Posts: 1815 | Location: Sinton, Texas | Registered: 08 November 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of nhoro
posted Hide Post
Below was my experience yesterday:

Today, Every Life Mattered

Today a sheriff opened the grade school across from our house as an emergency shelter and staging area. Today I watched my 11 year old daughter and my wife scurry through the house gathering up towels, water and food for those soon to be evacuated and deposited across the street. Today I watched wet and shaken people arrive in emergency transport trucks carrying personal items in trash bags. Today I watched my daughter race back across the street to find shoes and socks for a woman who arrived barefooted and shaken. Today I witnessed people of every description launching boats and rafts of all dimensions into the flooded streets to rescue those in need. Today I shed more tears than I have in years, which were masked by the rain drops, as I watched this outpouring of caring and support. Today I stood in waist-deep flood water with my son and his friends helping rescued people get from the boats and rafts into the emergency transport vehicles. Today a man handed me his infant to carry through the flood waters, and a small set of innocent eyes stayed glued to mine as we made our way. Today I saw the best in humankind. Today I gained a renewed hope for this great nation of ours, the United States of America. Today, Every. Life. Mattered.

Jerry Beardmore
Katy, TX

JEB Katy, TX

Already I was beginning to fall into the African way of thinking: That if
you properly respect what you are after, and shoot it cleanly and on
the animal's terrain, if you imprison in your mind all the wonder of the
day from sky to smell to breeze to flowers—then you have not merely
killed an animal. You have lent immortality to a beast you have killed
because you loved him and wanted him forever so that you could always
recapture the day - Robert Ruark

DSC Life Member
NRA Life Member

One of Us
Picture of Fury01
posted Hide Post
Thank you for sharing. Thank you for doing. Thank you for your hope. May you be blessed for your tears.
Shalom Jerry.

"The liberty enjoyed by the people of these states of worshiping Almighty God agreeably to their conscience, is not only among the choicest of their blessings, but also of their rights."
~George Washington - 1789

Posts: 2135 | Location: Where God breathes life into the Amber Waves of Grain and owns the cattle on a thousand hills. | Registered: 20 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for posting that Jerry. This is heartbreaking to even watch, much less be there. Prayers continuing from here.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Traded texts with Rusty day before yesterday. they were away from Houston and home was ok (hope that's still the case) so far, as was mine. Bob

Posts: 1286 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: 20 October 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of bwanamrm
posted Hide Post
"Let this sink in for a minute.....Hundreds and hundreds of small boats pulled by countless pickups and SUVs from across the South are headed for Houston. Almost all of them driven by men. They're using their own property, sacrificing their own time, spending their own money, and risking their own lives for one reason: to help total strangers in desperate need.

Most of them are by themselves. Most are dressed like the redneck duck hunters and bass fisherman they are. Many are veterans. Most are wearing well-used gimme-hats, t-shirts, and jeans; and there's a preponderance of camo. Most are probably gun owners, and most probably voted for Trump.

These are the people the Left loves to hate, the ones Maddow mocks. The ones Maher and Olbermann just *know* they're so much better than.

These are The Quiet Ones. They don't wear masks and tear down statues. They don't, as a rule, march and demonstrate. And most have probably never been in a Whole Foods.

But they'll spend the next several days wading in cold, dirty water; dodging gators and water moccasins and fire ants; eating whatever meager rations are available; and sleeping wherever they can in dirty, damp clothes. Their reward is the tears and the hugs and the smiles from the terrified people they help. They'll deliver one boatload, and then go back for more.

When disaster strikes, it's what men do. Real men. Heroic men. American men. And then they'll knock back a few shots, or a few beers with like-minded men they've never met before, and talk about fish, or ten-point bucks, or the benefits of hollow-point ammo, or their F-150.

And the next time they hear someone talk about "the patriarchy", or "male privilege", they'll snort, turn off the TV and go to bed.

In the meantime, they'll likely be up again before dawn. To do it again. Until the helpless are rescued. And the work's done.

They're unlikely to be reimbursed. There won't be medals. They won't care. They're heroes. And it's what they do.

Taken from a well spoken dude just like most of us"

Borrowed this from Facebook... so true. And again thanks to our own Mike Burke who hooked up his boat and drove From New Iberia to Houston to help!

On the plains of hesitation lie the bleached bones of ten thousand, who on the dawn of victory lay down their weary heads resting, and there resting, died.

If you can talk with crowds and keep your virtue,
Or walk with Kings - nor lose the common touch...
Yours is the Earth and everything that's in it,
And - which is more - you'll be a Man, my son!
- Rudyard Kipling

Life grows grim without senseless indulgence.

Posts: 7558 | Location: Victoria, Texas | Registered: 30 March 2003Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bwanamrm:
"Let this sink in for a minute.....Hundreds and hundreds of small boats pulled by countless pickups and SUVs from across the South are headed for Houston. Almost all of them driven by men. They're using their own property, sacrificing their own time, spending their own money, and risking their own lives for one reason: to help total strangers in desperate need.

Most of them are by themselves. Most are dressed like the redneck duck hunters and bass fisherman they are. Many are veterans. Most are wearing well-used gimme-hats, t-shirts, and jeans; and there's a preponderance of camo. Most are probably gun owners, and most probably voted for Trump.

These are the people the Left loves to hate, the ones Maddow mocks. The ones Maher and Olbermann just *know* they're so much better than.

These are The Quiet Ones. They don't wear masks and tear down statues. They don't, as a rule, march and demonstrate. And most have probably never been in a Whole Foods.

But they'll spend the next several days wading in cold, dirty water; dodging gators and water moccasins and fire ants; eating whatever meager rations are available; and sleeping wherever they can in dirty, damp clothes. Their reward is the tears and the hugs and the smiles from the terrified people they help. They'll deliver one boatload, and then go back for more.

When disaster strikes, it's what men do. Real men. Heroic men. American men. And then they'll knock back a few shots, or a few beers with like-minded men they've never met before, and talk about fish, or ten-point bucks, or the benefits of hollow-point ammo, or their F-150.

And the next time they hear someone talk about "the patriarchy", or "male privilege", they'll snort, turn off the TV and go to bed.

In the meantime, they'll likely be up again before dawn. To do it again. Until the helpless are rescued. And the work's done.

They're unlikely to be reimbursed. There won't be medals. They won't care. They're heroes. And it's what they do.

Taken from a well spoken dude just like most of us"

Borrowed this from Facebook... so true. And again thanks to our own Mike Burke who hooked up his boat and drove From New Iberia to Houston to help!

Wonderful!

Let us not stoop to their levels, as some seem to donate only to lesbians and gays!

How horrible is that from anyone claiming to be a human being!

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 68662 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BaxterB
posted Hide Post