Find
Notify
Tools

Lord Derby Eland?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
How many blokes here have shot one?

Which is the best county to hunt them? Duration and cost of hunt?

And what do you blokes suggest as a calibre and load?

Any pics would be more than welcome thumb

Verbera!, Iugula!, Iugula!!!

Blair.

Posts: 8808 | Location: Sydney, Australia. | Registered: 21 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My information would be outdated as I hunted them in the about'78.
I hunted north central CAE as it was known then, CAR today. Near Aouk River

I used a H&H .375 Flanged Mag with a scope. 300 grain Hornaday. Load is right, but take a bolt action, shot at longer range might happen.

Some of the French had 9.3x74 O/U or S/S's at the time.

Posts: 1700 | Location: USA | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post

Blair,

This is one a took in Cameroon in January with Faro West. The whole story is available on Hunting Reports-Africa.

Cameroon undoudtedly has the highest success rate. Faro West amazingly is 100% on Giant Eland for 10 seasons in a row. All eland hunts in Cameroon are not equal. Area, camp and PH quality can vary wildly.

The safaris are 15 days of hunting and with Faro West you'll have $50,000-$55,000 in the hunt if you include trophy fees, tips and all extras. The basic costs are in Euros so the price changes daily with the flucuation of the exchange rate.

I think a 375 of some sort is about perfect and I used one with the 270 gr. TSX. Other clients have used 7MM Remington Magnum on up to 416. The northern savannah is fairly open forest with areas of grasslands with a 300 yard shot possible so a caliber with a relatively flat trajectory is necessary.

Mark

MARK H. YOUNG
MARK'S EXCLUSIVE ADVENTURES
7094 Oakleigh Dr. Las Vegas, NV 89110
Office 702-848-1693
Cell, Whats App, Signal 307-250-1156 PREFERRED
E-mail markttc@msn.com
Check us out on https://www.facebook.com/pages...ures/627027353990716

Posts: 13024 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Mark,

Lovely bull!!

And thanks for the fair dinkum info'

Kind regards,

Blair.

Posts: 8808 | Location: Sydney, Australia. | Registered: 21 March 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Blair,

I spoke to Adam this AM and he just returned from his own eland hunt with Faro West. He will probably write it up on his own but for now I can say the safari was a great success with a good eland, monster 31" roan and all the rest.

Mark

MARK H. YOUNG
Office 702-848-1693
E-mail markttc@msn.com

Posts: 13024 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MARK H. YOUNG:
Blair,

I spoke to Adam this AM and he just returned from his own eland hunt with Faro West. He will probably write it up on his own but for now I can say the safari was a great success with a good eland, monster 31" roan and all the rest.

Mark

Mark,

And a 31 inch Roan......................!!!!!

GOOD on him, the lucky bastard Smiler

Blair.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I happened to luck into an OK one about three weeks ago.
Moja
http://www.huntingreport.com/trophy_gallery.cfm?id=215

Posts: 636 | Location: The Hills | Registered: 24 January 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
ST

That is absolutely unfair but Wow!!!!!

Mark

MARK H. YOUNG
Office 702-848-1693
E-mail markttc@msn.com

One of Us
Picture of L. David Keith
posted Hide Post
Fantastic trophy Mr. Watts! Congrats on a bull of a lifetime.

Gray Ghost Hunting Safaris
http://grayghostsafaris.com Phone: 615-860-4333
Email: hunts@grayghostsafaris.com
NRA Benefactor
DSC Professional Member
SCI Member
RMEF Life Member
NWTF Guardian Life Sponsor
NAHC Life Member
Rowland Ward - SCI Scorer
Took the wife the Eastern Cape for her first hunt:
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6881000262
Hunting in the Stormberg, Winterberg and Hankey Mountains of the Eastern Cape 2018
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/4801073142
Hunting the Eastern Cape, RSA May 22nd - June 15th 2007
http://forums.accuratereloadin...=810104007#810104007
16 Days in Zimbabwe: Leopard, plains game, fowl and more:
http://forums.accuratereloadin...=212108409#212108409
Natal: Rhino, Croc, Nyala, Bushbuck and more
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6341092311
Recent hunt in the Eastern Cape, August 2010: Pics added
http://forums.accuratereloadin...261039941#9261039941
10 days in the Stormberg Mountains
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/7781081322
Back in the Stormberg Mountains with friends: May-June 2017
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6001078232

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading" - Thomas Jefferson

Every morning the Zebra wakes up knowing it must outrun the fastest Lion if it wants to stay alive. Every morning the Lion wakes up knowing it must outrun the slowest Zebra or it will starve. It makes no difference if you are a Zebra or a Lion; when the Sun comes up in Africa, you must wake up running......

"If you're being chased by a Lion, you don't have to be faster than the Lion, you just have to be faster than the person next to you."

Posts: 6825 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: 18 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SableTrail:
I happened to luck into an OK one about three weeks ago.
Moja
http://www.huntingreport.com/trophy_gallery.cfm?id=215

WOW! That is an amazing eland!

"Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life." Terry Pratchett.

Posts: 3519 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: 25 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill C
posted Hide Post
What a great eland, not just the horns but the black mane too. Congratulations Marc! Regards, Bill

Posts: 3153 | Location: PA | Registered: 02 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Great goodness gracious, what an animal! Congratulations Marc! If that is #2, I'd certainly love to see #1...

Posts: 1508 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 09 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
That is a beautiful animal! Many congratulations to you.

Red

My rule of life prescribed as an absolutely sacred rite smoking cigars and also the drinking of alcohol before, after and if need be during all meals and in the intervals between them.
-Winston Churchill

Posts: 4740 | Location: Fresno, CA | Registered: 21 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post

Unfortunately not shot by me.

It was taken in CAR 2005 by the cousin of one of the members here, JB de Runz. I just got to see the taxidermy in Paris last year.

cheers,

- stu

Posts: 1210 | Location: Zurich | Registered: 02 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fallow Buck
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bill C:
What a great eland, not just the horns but the black mane too. Congratulations Marc! Regards, Bill

WOW!!! WOW!!! WOW!!!

That is an awesome trophy. The Black mane is really something else. To think it is 60% ish bigger than my cape Eland, you will need one hell of a wall to hang it on!!

Congrats,
FB

Posts: 4096 | Location: London | Registered: 03 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
Outstanding!

One of Us
Picture of nampom
posted Hide Post
That must be one of the most awesome animals I have seen in a while, beautifull black mane.
Truely outstanding. thumb

All the best
Roger

VIERANAS Bow & Hunting
Adventure Safaris Namibia
#TPH00157

Roger@vieranasbowhunt.com
www.vieranasbowhunt.com

http://www.facebook.com/Vieranas.Safaris.Namibia

"The true hunter counts his achievement in proportion to the effort involved and the fairness of the sport" Saxton Pope

Posts: 240 | Location: Africa Namibia - Kamanjab | Registered: 10 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Aziz
posted Hide Post
Hello Marc

Congratulations, that is a trophy of a lifetime. I would love to hear the details of your hunt and see more photos.

Regards
Aziz

photo 5a71b091-8ccb-440e-8358-1ba8fe6939cb_zpsga1mmy00.jpg

Posts: 591 | Location: Illinois | Registered: 04 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Now we know where we have to go for BIG Lord Derby Elands
Congratulation Marc thumb

Nec Timor Nec Temeritas

One of Us
Picture of ivan carter
posted Hide Post
awesome marc ...look forward to seeing the video !! that truly is a trophy of a lifetime ...

"The greatest threat to our wildlife is the thought that someone else will save it”

www.facebook.com/ivancartersafrica

www.ivancarterwca.org
www.ivancarter.com
ivan@ivancarter.com

Posts: 1201 | Location: South Africa  | Registered: 04 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Wow guys. Thank you for all your wonderful comments. This all means alot to me especially coming from you guys, because I've learned in the past this bunch from AR is a tough crowd! (RIP I haven't heard from you yet.) Here's a brief synopsis...Got him on the 13th day of a 14-day safari earlier this month, March 8th. I was hunting with Andre Roux of Dar El Kouti safaris. It culminated a 5-hour stalk of a big herd. We had no idea he was in the herd. When the P.H. said shoot I shot and this was the result. You can imagine the look on my face when Andre put the shooting sticks down and said take em'! It was a 91-yard shot and he was slightly quartering to the left. He was stone dead when we walked up to him. I shot him with a 250 grain bullet right in the heart with a .338. (I reacted like a crazy fool out of joy when I walked up close enough to see how large he really was, but somehow I think that videotape is going to make the cutting room floor.) Hands down including dangerous game, this is the greatest and most rewarding trophy I've ever taken, especially considering the challenges the hunt in C.A.R. presents. It is a real hunt. I'm humbled to have taken something this fantastic C.A.R. with Andre Roux rocks! Thanks again to all for the kind words... Marc

Posts: 636 | Location: The Hills | Registered: 24 January 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Tremendous animal!!! You have taken the perfect Derby, black mane plus the long horn length. Many of the older mature bulls with the thick black mane have worn their horns down. I took a black maned bull on a self guided hunt in Cameroon but he had broomed down to well under 50 inches however to me he was a better trophy than the longer horned bulls without the mane.

Again a truly tremendous animal!!!

Mike

Posts: 1878 | Location: Prairieville,Louisiana, USA | Registered: 09 October 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Safari-Hunt
posted Hide Post
That is a truely an awesome animal !

Hunting will never be the same for you after such a monster Marc. I have never seen a photo of a lord derby with so much black on him. Truly awesome and those horns perfect. You will need a very high wall for a shoulder mount on this one.

Congrats once again Marc. thumb

Frederik Cocquyt
I always try to use enough gun but then sometimes a brainshot works just as good.

Posts: 2549 | Location: Pretoria, Gauteng, South Africa | Registered: 06 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Bwanna
posted Hide Post

Posts: 1667 | Location: Las Vegas, Nevada | Registered: 12 May 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of nomrcy
posted Hide Post
beautiful Eland Marc. Great story too-congratulations!

Trophies are not dead animals...they are living memories.

Posts: 217 | Location: Fargo, North Dakota | Registered: 24 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of jbderunz
posted Hide Post
Wow Marc, Your eland is a whooper. Congratulations.
Where is Mr Roux territory in the CAR?

In 2005 within 15 minutes I got a decent eland in the Central Af Rep

Jorge will say that I insist on flattering him, but his Paterson or Cape Eland is challenging many Derby elands.

J B de Runz
Be careful when blindly following the masses ... generally the "m" is silent

Posts: 1727 | Location: France, Alsace, Saverne | Registered: 24 August 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of D99
posted Hide Post
Nice bulls,

Marc Watts on AR, holy shit!

I just got the Zimbabwe video, good stuff. I think you spent too much time highlighting the PH Andrew Dawson's speach about "this is the first time I have guided a black hunter". So what if Andrew Dawson has never guided a black hunter and you had drama, you killed a 44 inch Sable and huge buffalo and a big fat Mr Spots. Hell of a safari.

Other than that it was one of the best hunting movies I have ever seen, and a couple more of yours are in the top five as well.

Marc, I own over 350 hunting DVDs I buy 5-10 a month, I have known some of your competitors like Ken Wilson for 15 years. But I have to tell you, you are producing a superior product.

I would like to see you cut down on the commercials, and flashbacks, maybe put them at the end. And I am tired of hearing Marious Kotze and Bryan White say the same thing for 4 DVDs in a row.

I am always thrilled to see another one of your DVDs come out, but I always hope for a little less fluff on the flashbacks and commercials.

I have to say that without regard your YO DVD is one of the best I have ever seen. I hope you will get back down there and shoot a sequel. It's heads and toes above the rest of the competition on exotic dvds, let a lone any other dvd.

You definantly deserve to be called "Bwana Moja"

cheers,
Seth

I know you can shoot, and yes you are Bwana

Posts: 4729 | Location: Australia | Registered: 06 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of SBT
posted Hide Post
Damn, that eland is stunning!

"There are worse memorials to a life well-lived than a pair of elephant tusks." Robert Ruark

Posts: 4781 | Location: Story, WY / San Carlos, Sonora, MX | Registered: 29 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Stunning Eland, but, for $50K isn't that in Elephant or Lion territory?
Peter.

Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong;

Posts: 10515 | Location: Jacksonville, Florida | Registered: 09 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of bwanamrm
posted Hide Post
Very impressive trophy! Congratulations.

On the plains of hesitation lie the bleached bones of ten thousand, who on the dawn of victory lay down their weary heads resting, and there resting, died.

If you can talk with crowds and keep your virtue,
Or walk with Kings - nor lose the common touch...
Yours is the Earth and everything that's in it,
And - which is more - you'll be a Man, my son!
- Rudyard Kipling

Life grows grim without senseless indulgence.

Posts: 7558 | Location: Victoria, Texas | Registered: 30 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Peter:
Stunning Eland, but, for $50K isn't that in Elephant or Lion territory?
Peter.

Peter,

I think I'd rather have than that bull of Marc's than an ordinary elephant or lion.............damn, what an animal Smiler

Blair.

One of Us
Picture of D99
posted Hide Post
If the choice was a $50,000 lion or a $50,000 LDBE I would take the Eland anyday.

I would rather spend that money to hunt Eland or Mountain Nyala than hunt an elephant or a lion. Even if 90% of the folks that walked into my trophy room didn't know what it was.

Posts: 4729 | Location: Australia | Registered: 06 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
D99
quote:
If the choice was a $50,000 lion or a $50,000 LDBE I would take the Eland anyday.

DITO

Nec Timor Nec Temeritas