THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AFRICAN HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  African Big Game Hunting    Bummed out....Tracks Across Africa with Ivan Carter
Page 1 2 3 

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Bummed out....Tracks Across Africa with Ivan Carter
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of trophyhunter5000
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Idaho Sharpshooter:
hunting IS all about killing. If it were not, you could make the stalk, shoot the animal with your camera, and walk away with the same sense of satisfaction that killing the animal gives you.

X2...

Hunting without killing = camping...

Don't think it is something hunters should flame each other over...

Every one feels their own way after a kill because every one is different...

Most people only continue to do recreational activities that provide them with overall positive experiences...

Posts: 781 | Location: The Mountain State | Registered: 13 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Idaho Sharpshooter:
hunting IS all about killing. If it were not, you could make the stalk, shoot the animal with your camera, and walk away with the same sense of satisfaction that killing the animal gives you.

Rich

Dear Rich:

I would expand upon your opinion on the killing aspect of hunting by asking the following question:

Why do you hunt?

Obviously, killing is an aspect of hunting, but how important is it to you?

I hunt, because I love to do it, and I love to eat game meat, be it birds or big game. Cook it myself. So, I have to kill the animal to eat it.

Nevertheless, the killing part is not my favorite aspect of hunting. Its just necessary.

Out thinking the animal, and placing a shot perfectly, while using the best handgun, rifle or shotgun possible, and now we're talking.

Sincerely,

Chris Bemis

Posts: 2594 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: 30 July 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BaxterB
posted Hide Post
quote:

Many people feel this exact way.

If you walked in your backyard and shot all your goats would you say you hunted them or killed them?

I think killing is the final test of the pursuit of an animal. You work hard to get to within range by knowing your target animal, sometimes yes by luck, but more often by hard work and when you get the point you have overcome every other obstacle to get within effective range of whatever weapon you are using, your last job is to make an accurate and effective killing shot. It is a part of a whole, not the whole thing. It is the part, that when done right, caps the whole hunt like frosting on a cake and if done wrong and you induce undue suffering, can nearly ruin the whole effort of what led you to that point. Just my personal take on it.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I like to hunt, admitely I have shot a number of different animals on this earth. Sometimes my shot placement was better than others. I have often wished the animal I have shot could get back up so I could hunt him again but quickly let those emotions go on the task at hand at getting the animal taken care of including the meat. I have no remorse. When I look back at the money I spent on conservation by this activity I have nothing but pride that I supported a system that has many great people involved that have dedicated their lives in protection of habitat and the animals that live there.

It is my opinion, by others and myself hunting a few animals this activity has helped so many more animals than it ever did any harm even with some mistakes on my part. Also,in my opinion if your not buying a hunting license are you helping conservation of habitat and wildlife as much as you could? I am also so very proud of the professional hunters dediction to same thruout the world that I have had the priviledge to hunt beside.

Posts: 195 | Location: Douglas, Wyoming | Registered: 14 August 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of twoseventy
posted Hide Post
Bob, you apparently don't post often, but in this case the response is thoughtful.

Tom

...I say that hunters go into Paradise when they die, and live in this world more joyfully than any other men.
-Edward, duke of York

". . . when a man has shot an elephant his life is full." ~John Alfred Jordan

"The budget should be balanced, the Treasury should be refilled, public debt should be reduced, the arrogance of officialdom should be tempered and controlled, and the assistance to foreign lands should be curtailed lest Rome become bankrupt. People must again learn to work, instead of living on public assistance." Cicero - 55 BC

"The smallest minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities." - Ayn Rand

Cogito ergo venor- KPete

“It is not from the benevolence of the butcher, the brewer, or the baker, that we expect our dinner, but from their regard to their own self-interest. We address ourselves, not to their humanity but to their self-love, and never talk to them of our own necessities but of their advantages.”
― Adam Smith - “Wealth of Nations”

Posts: 989 | Location: Oregon | Registered: 12 June 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thank you Bob Keeler.
Well said.

To me hunting is a sacred experience.

Harvesting meat and consuming it or giving it to family or trusted friends is akin to a religious experience.
So is having a taxidermist apply his arts to the trophy.

Amen.

Posts: 28032 | Location: KY | Registered: 09 December 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
The issue with post-Boddington TAA is that Craig could make each episode new and different and enjoyable to see. Ivan has not gotten to that state yet. He guides for $$$, and his approach must needs be a bit different.
- ISS

Rich.

Seems to me this is a rather broad statement and that is a matter of your personal opinion and certianly not mine. Both are fine and capable outdoorsmen and each his own style. Ivan is not Craig nor is Craig, Ivan. I have no desire to be anyone other than myself and nor should one expect this of these good men.

Remember this is produced by a team .. Safari Classics and now we have a presentation that is a bit different. The producer is responsible for the content and execution of the production. Look at True Grit, two very fine actors,same story,two sucessful movies. Different, yes, sucessful, yes again.

As to guiding for money... I hope that is not an aspersion. Both Craig and Ivan must work for money and that is fitting as Scripture says"But if any provide not for his own, and specially for those of his own house, he hath denied the faith, and is worse [Greek: more evil] than an infidel." (1 Timothy 5:8)

Per quote it would be wrong for either to not work for money as the provider. I simply do not understand your last sentence. Every man's needs are different.

I would expect to pay Ivan for his expertise and Craig as well for his fine books and tapes etc.

I know both men and hold both in high regard as to integrety,skill, individual presentation and presense. Both bring to the soil tracks of the hunter and reflect everything from the dream and preperation ,the skill of the shot and finally to reflection.

The only men that "have gotten to that state" are lying in state.

It is my observation that we are not all tracking the same trail or quarry.

Elton

Elton Rambin
Mail/Ship: 1802 Horse Hollow Rd.
Barksdale, Texas 78828
Phone: 479 461 3656
Ranch: 830-234-4366
Check our Hunt & Class Schedule
at
www.ftwoutfitters.com

4 Rules of Gun Safety
1/ Treat all guns as though they are loaded.
2/ Never point the muzzle at anything you do not want to shoot.
3/ Do not put your finger on trigger until your sights are on target and you are ready to shoot.
4/ Be sure of your target and safe background.

Posts: 268 | Location: Western Arkansas/Barksdale,TX. USA | Registered: 18 February 2008Reply With Quote