Tools

Who Wrote This?
 Login/Join

Administrator
posted
Ladies and Gentlemen,

Her is one for the book worms [Big Grin]

Can you tell me who wrote the following:

"Never before have the reading public been invited to view the other side of the pivture. Hitherto the sportsman had been accorded all the sympathy and applause and the "savage brute" or "cunning varmint" been denied all privilages, even that of existing. This depite that hunting with weapons of percision was never a very dangerous pastime and most instances the sportsman in pursuit of the most ferocious game was a good deal safer than rock-climber or racing motorist. It began to seem to loverws of fair play that the cards were stacked against the animal and that its overthrow was hardly more commendable than the destructions of lions in the Roman amphitheater by degenater emperors who did their killing from the security of a lofty gallery....African white hunters would pilot delicately fashionable ladies into the wilds to shoot the giants, and return them without harm to their complexions or apparel. The motor car has put big game hunting in the same category as pheasant-shooting and lawn tennis"

[ 05-21-2003, 11:29: Message edited by: Saeed ]

Posts: 67005 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Will
posted Hide Post
Saeed,

I challenge Terry Carr to find this one...it will give him something to do today!

I don't remember seeing this quote but is similar to the those written by the mid-century hunyers who lamented the changes in their environment.

Will

Posts: 19317 | Location: Ocala Flats | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Karen Blixen?

Posts: 156 | Location: Gray, Tennessee | Registered: 08 March 2001Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Bjorn Klappe & Alfred E. Neuman, in collaboration.

Posts: 11017 | Registered: 14 December 2000Reply With Quote
Picture of T.Carr
posted Hide Post
Ruark.

Posts: 5338 | Location: A Texan in the Missouri Ozarks | Registered: 02 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of eric 98
posted Hide Post
John Hunter

Posts: 287 | Location: Florida USA | Registered: 23 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
My guess is FRED EVERETT.
Springbok

Posts: 84 | Location: Johannesburg, South Africa | Registered: 02 January 2002Reply With Quote
<phurley>
posted
Dennis Finch Haten -- From "Out of Africa". I am not sure about the spelling. [Wink] Good shooting.

one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Nickudu:
Bjorn Klappe & Alfred E. Neuman, in collaboration.

BWAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA HAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAaaaaaaaaaaa!

Speaking of our "Extinhuished" Bejorn Klappe, I'm still getting "one liner" hate mail, that makes no sense, from him! [Big Grin]

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Will
posted Hide Post
Springbok,

Excellent deductive reasoning. You are a better detective than I.

Will

one of us
posted Hide Post
Capstick?

Posts: 493 | Location: GEORGIA, U.S.A. | Registered: 28 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Bror von Blixen

Posts: 6277 | Location: Not Likely, but close. | Registered: 12 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post

[ 05-22-2003, 05:30: Message edited by: RBHunt ]

Posts: 1357 | Location: Texas | Registered: 17 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of NitroX
posted Hide Post
Bunny Allen, except the ladies apparel would be in considerable disorder when he returned them to civilisation.

Posts: 10138 | Location: Wine Country, Barossa Valley, Australia | Registered: 06 March 2002Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
C.T.Stoneham.

He wrote several books on Africa, including:

WANDERINGS IN WILD AFRICA
AFRICA ALL OVER
ELEPHANT BROTHER
MAU MAU.

There is not any detail about him in the book I am reading now - BIG STUFF AND THE LURE OF BIG-GAME.

If I can dig something about him, I will post it here.

Posts: 67005 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Will
posted Hide Post
Saaed,

I have heard of none of these. Are these currently published, or from your collection?

Will

one of us
posted Hide Post
Wasn't that just in the New York Times??? [Razz] [Big Grin]

Posts: 1346 | Location: NE | Registered: 03 March 2002Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
Will,

I have at least two of his books - if my memory serves me right.

This one was published in 1954, by John Long Limited, and obviously was popular, as it was re-printed again the same year.

I will post a photo of the cover later in the day.

posted Hide Post
Saeed,

Was he British?

Peter

Posts: 5684 | Location: North Wales UK | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
He lived in Kenya for 40 years. The "Mau Mau" book is excellent, as it gives the perspective of the long time residents.

http://www.alibris.com/search/search.cfm?wauth=Stoneham%20C%20T

Posts: 11017 | Registered: 14 December 2000Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Nick,

Looking at that link, it seems that CT Stoneham was quite a prolific author with quite a wide range of books...

For british readers, I am pretty sure that Coch y Bonddu Books carries some of Stonehams books,

Regards,

Peter

Posts: 5684 | Location: North Wales UK | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Will
posted Hide Post
Nickudu,

You are one useful guy. Thanks for the lead.

Will

Administrator
posted Hide Post
 -

one of us
posted Hide Post
Saeed,
Yep, thats right but of course you know, that is his pen name, his real name is William Tibbe! He is suspected of plagerizing that scrip from one of the Greem Peace manuals! [Wink]

Posts: 41865 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Speaking of literature, is anyone out there familiar with Tolstoy's " The Bear Hunt " ? That ought to be republished in one of the hunting magazines. It details his experiences hunting nbear in russia. Very interesting.

One of Us
Picture of 308Sako
posted Hide Post
Sounds like the lamentations of Mr D Finch-Hatton from Out of Africa to me also. However, the actual feelings must have been present in many a sportsman of the times.

[ 05-24-2003, 18:08: Message edited by: 308Sako ]

Posts: 3611 | Location: LV NV | Registered: 22 October 2002Reply With Quote