THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AFRICAN HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  African Big Game Hunting    It's not often I say this....... but praise for SCI

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

It's not often I say this....... but praise for SCI
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of shakari
posted
SCI and a few other organisations have funded, yes, that's right, funded a recent research project on the future of lions in Mozambique and you can read the entire report here: http://www.shakariconnection.c...ion-final-report.pdf

Good for everyone involved, including SCI. The report takes a while to download because it's almost 90 pages long but it's well worth a read.

My thanks to Dr Chardonnet for his kind permission in allowing us to publish the entire report. Smiler

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Tell me this isn't April Fools Day! See I knew it was wrong, I went and scanned the report and it is NOT SCI, but SCI Foundation and you and Saeed have said that is not the same as SCI.

Posts: 5338 | Location: Bedford, Pa. USA | Registered: 23 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of shakari
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Die Ou Jagter:
Tell me this isn't April Fools Day!

Damn I must be psychic...... I knew you were gonna say that! rotflmo

Hey, simple logic decrees we can't disagree about everything. Wink

Joking aside, it's a looong report and takes a lot of studying but it's well worth reading.

One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
Let's see now, crow pie. . . . . . dancing

one of us
Picture of shakari
posted Hide Post
No mate, credit where credits due.

I still have a BIG problem with an awful lot of what they do, (and don't do) esp with regard to their convention, but in this case, I reckon they did well......... and I see nothing wrong with saying that when they do good, I'll praise them....... but equally, when I feel they do something wrong, I'll criticise them.

Maybe it's that good old British sense of fair play don'tchaknow! Wink

One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
Sorry, it's blackbird pie in merry old England! jumping

one of us
Picture of shakari
posted Hide Post
Pheasant old boy! Wink

Although now I'm in Africa nowadays, I guess it'd be guineafowl. Wink

one of us
Picture of SBT
posted Hide Post
Wow! Maybe the cows will come home. Thanks Steve.

"There are worse memorials to a life well-lived than a pair of elephant tusks." Robert Ruark

Posts: 4780 | Location: Story, WY / San Carlos, Sonora, MX | Registered: 29 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Right on Steve. We can disagree on some things and be in unison on others. Credit where it is due. In the end we are more in agreement than not. This project is a good example of the positive stuff. We need more of it.

Happiness is a warm gun

Posts: 4106 | Location: USA | Registered: 06 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BrettAKSCI
posted Hide Post
You shouldn't eat the peasants Steve!!! They'll be a revolt!!! Bloody torches and pitch forks what??? rotflmo

Brett

DRSS
Life Member SCI
Life Member NRA
Life Member WSF

Rhyme of the Sheep Hunter
May fordings never be too deep, And alders not too thick; May rock slides never be too steep And ridges not too slick.
And may your bullets shoot as swell As Fred Bear's arrow's flew; And may your nose work just as well As Jack O'Connor's too.
May winds be never at your tail When stalking down the steep; May bears be never on your trail When packing out your sheep.
May the hundred pounds upon you Not make you break or trip; And may the plane in which you flew Await you at the strip.
-Seth Peterson

Posts: 4551 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 21 February 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of shakari
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Brett Adam Barringer:
You shouldn't eat the peasants Steve!!! They'll be a revolt!!! Bloody torches and pitch forks what??? rotflmo

Brett

Ah dammit, there goes another mouthful of coffee all over the keyboard! rotflmo

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Well done to everyone involved and well done to Steve for admitting here that he was wrong!! dancing Big Grin

A day spent in the bush is a day added to your life
Hunt Australia - Website
Hunt Australia - Facebook
Hunt Australia - TV

Posts: 4456 | Location: Australia | Registered: 23 January 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of shakari
posted Hide Post
Matt,

Nice try mate Smiler But not wrong at all. Like I said, I do believe in giving credit where credit's due and in this case, it is due.

Mind you, I reckon you can be pretty sure I'll be getting into turbo tongue mode and giving 'em shit on the donation system etc when convention time rolls around again. rotflmo

You know the old saying: One swallow doth not a summer make. Wink

One of Us
Picture of David Hulme
posted Hide Post
Well done Steve, very sporting old boy!

Hope you are well, Dave

Posts: 2270 | Location: Zimbabwe | Registered: 28 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
They can't do the "good" with out the "bad". Of course they could do like ACORN and get the funds from our government and pass it on to Africa.

We are good when we give but bad when we raise the funds to do the good, oh yea it is the method.

Posts: 5338 | Location: Bedford, Pa. USA | Registered: 23 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Steve,
Good job reporting this. SCI tries to benefit the hunting fraternity and honest criticism is what makes any organization better so Kudus for the credit and keep up the criticism of what they need to do better.

Pancho
LTC, USA, RET

"Participating in a gun buy-back program because you think that criminals have too many guns is like having yourself castrated because you think your neighbors have too many kids." Clint Eastwood

Give me Liberty or give me Corona.

Posts: 932 | Location: Roswell, NM | Registered: 02 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of buckeyeshooter
posted Hide Post
Steve,
you get abuse either way! Thanks for passing on the information.

Posts: 5701 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 02 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If you are displeased with how an org is operated get involved, don't just sit on the side lines bitching! It is not abuse it is a fair and honest discussion.

One of Us
Picture of BrettAKSCI
posted Hide Post
quote:
If you are displeased with how an org is operated get involved, don't just sit on the side lines bitching!

As a general principal I most whole heartedly agree!!!!

Brett

DRSS
Life Member SCI
Life Member NRA
Life Member WSF

Rhyme of the Sheep Hunter
May fordings never be too deep, And alders not too thick; May rock slides never be too steep And ridges not too slick.
And may your bullets shoot as swell As Fred Bear's arrow's flew; And may your nose work just as well As Jack O'Connor's too.
May winds be never at your tail When stalking down the steep; May bears be never on your trail When packing out your sheep.
May the hundred pounds upon you Not make you break or trip; And may the plane in which you flew Await you at the strip.
-Seth Peterson

Posts: 4551 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 21 February 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of JBoutfishn
posted Hide Post
Steve, I have asked this before and you may have answered in the dim historic past. Are you a member of SCI?

Jim "Bwana Umfundi"
NRA

Posts: 3014 | Location: State Of Jefferson | Registered: 27 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jdollar
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by shakari:
Matt,

Nice try mate Smiler But not wrong at all. Like I said, I do believe in giving credit where credit's due and in this case, it is due.

Mind you, I reckon you can be pretty sure I'll be getting into turbo tongue mode and giving 'em shit on the donation system etc when convention time rolls around again. rotflmo

You know the old saying: One swallow doth not a summer make. Wink
i guess it depends on what you are swallowing- notice i said you, not me.

Vote Trump- Putin’s best friend…

Posts: 13177 | Location: Georgia | Registered: 28 October 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of shakari
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JBoutfishn:
Steve, I have asked this before and you may have answered in the dim historic past. Are you a member of SCI?

Jim,

I may have answered before but don't remember.

I was a member for some considerable time when I lived in the UK and did the measurers course etc but the more I found out the more I decided (for a variety of reasons) I wasn't happy with the situation and when I decided nothing was going to change, I made the decision not to renew my membership.

one of us
posted Hide Post
The Mozambique Lion survey is necessary to prepare a country Action Plan for the African lion in Moz.

SCIF have donated a further $50K towards a similar lion survey to prepare an Action plan for Tanzania. The survey alone is expected to cost in the region of $106K. There is a balance due of approx $44K in order to start the survey with time running out. CF is actively involved in securing funds together with SCIF. Several operators and orgs have been asked to step-up to the plate and bridge the funding gap.

There have been similar projects done in CAR, Burkina Faso and Benin.

"...Them, they were Giants!"
J.A. Hunter describing the early explorers and settlers of East Africa

hunting is not about the killing but about the chase of the hunt.... Ortega Y Gasset

Posts: 3034 | Location: Tanzania - The Land of Plenty | Registered: 19 September 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Bwanamich, do you know if SCIF has helped with the funding for all of these Lion projects?

one of us
posted Hide Post
Not specifically I don't...... but according to Mr Hosmer of SCIF, they and SCI have commited over $500K in such and other projects re lion conservation since 2004.

"...Them, they were Giants!"
J.A. Hunter describing the early explorers and settlers of East Africa

hunting is not about the killing but about the chase of the hunt.... Ortega Y Gasset

Posts: 3034 | Location: Tanzania - The Land of Plenty | Registered: 19 September 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
OH MY GOD! Do you hear that Steve and Saeed?

one of us
Picture of shakari
posted Hide Post
Whilst I'm reluctant to turn this into an SCI bash....... yes I did see that but it strikes me as strange that the fact doesn't seem to be published anywhere that anyone has been able to find whilst previous threads have been going.

If it's true, good for them and I'd be interested to know what percentage of their income has/is/will be spent on similar projects.

That said, I reckon it's a good sign that they're doing something at least.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Tell me I am not suprised by your response. IF and MORE! As your fellow englishman says "PISS OFF".

When you know you are doing good it is not necessary to blow your own horn!

one of us
Picture of shakari
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Die Ou Jagter:
Tell me I am not suprised by your response. IF and MORE! As your fellow englishman says "PISS OFF".

When you know you are doing good it is not necessary to blow your own horn!

Roll Eyes

I guess that's your version of well reasoned debate huh. rotflmo

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Steve - yopu said before that you will likely be giving them stick in the future about the donation system etc. If you arent a member - why does it matter to you??

Just curious...

Hunt Australia - Website
Hunt Australia - TV

one of us
Picture of shakari
posted Hide Post
Matt,

Do I have to be a member of a political party to criticise it's policies? Of course I don't.

If I see something that I consider unfair or unethical, do I have a right to comment on it? Yes, of course I do. I have every right to express my opinion.

It's called the right to free speech and is something that's practiced here on this forum thousands of times a day and around the world millions of times day........ and I intend to excercise that right anytime I wish. Wink

The donation system is a large part of the reason I'm not a member....... on which subject, it'll bne interesting to see what happens on that front for the 2010 convention. My guess is the financial climate might possibly mean a major reduction in donations.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Steve I never said this string was a debate, someone posted a fact about SCI and their helping Africa. You come along and question the truth of the matter with IF and followed that up by saying they (SCI) should be doing MORE. I don't see any debating in this.

Bassically it seams most here are getting tired of your negative attitude that is all.

I am sure the donations to SCI will be just as strong as they have been in the past. The really BIG boys have not suffered all that much.

Cheers

one of us
Picture of shakari
posted Hide Post
DOJ

See my comment above re free speech. Roll Eyes

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Steve - I wasnt questioning your right to free speech.

Hunt Australia - Website
Hunt Australia - TV

one of us
Picture of shakari
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Matt Graham:
Steve - I wasnt questioning your right to free speech.

I know mate. My reply was partly tongue in cheek and partly meant to illustrate I don't have to be a member of an organisation to criticise it.

No worries. Wink

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Well then Steve since I know nothing about your operation, my only exposure to it is by your presence here I could then say your operation is a bucket of SH*T. It is JMO and I have free speach. I would find that to be offensive.

I find your ramblings about SCI to be offfensive for the same reason as you have no factual information upon which you base your opinion. But then opinions are like *SSHOLES everyone has one.