Find
Notify
Tools

Camera Thoughts
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of JabaliHunter
posted Hide Post
One thing I don't understand is this - all my best photos in bright sunshine have been with a polarising filter attached. Am I correct that on a compact such as the Panasonic DMC-TZ18, there is no option for a polarising filter?

Posts: 712 | Location: England | Registered: 01 January 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Saeed:

My current favourite is the Canon 7D. For this I take at least 2 lenses. A 17-55 and a 100-400.

Has the 28-300 fallen out of favor? I seem to remember you liked not having to switch lenses with the 28-300.

Posts: 72 | Location: Annapolis MD | Registered: 24 July 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BaxterB
posted Hide Post
quote:
One thing I don't understand is this - all my best photos in bright sunshine have been with a polarising filter attached. Am I correct that on a compact such as the Panasonic DMC-TZ18, there is no option for a polarising filter?

You gotta do the old 'hold-it-on-the-front-of-the-lens-' trick...

Just kidding, looks like they make a filter kit for it so it should be threaded

One of Us
Picture of JabaliHunter
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BaxterB:
You gotta do the old 'hold-it-on-the-front-of-the-lens-' trick...

Wouldn't be the first time! One of my most memorable pics from Zim was taken through the lens of my sunglasses!

Posts: 712 | Location: England | Registered: 01 January 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
canon 7d. 100-400 for the live shots, and I love the prime 50mm for the trophy shots. I'm usually with one or more non hunters (usually myself) so carrying it is not a problem. and when you get a great shot its well worth the extra lbs.

also carry a smaller canon point and shoot in my backpack as a backup.

as far as video, I can't stop thinking of this new Canon XF100. looks too good to pass up. just might have to pick one up for the trip to Africa in 2012.

Posts: 756 | Location: California | Registered: 26 May 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of A.Dahlgren
posted Hide Post
GREAT photos Bobby ! That 50mm are perfect for trophy shots

Posts: 2638 | Location: North | Registered: 24 May 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Frostbit
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bobby7321:
canon 7d. 100-400 for the live shots, and I love the prime 50mm for the trophy shots. I'm usually with one or more non hunters (usually myself) so carrying it is not a problem. and when you get a great shot its well worth the extra lbs.

also carry a smaller canon point and shoot in my backpack as a backup.

as far as video, I can't stop thinking of this new Canon XF100. looks too good to pass up. just might have to pick one up for the trip to Africa in 2012.

They are GREAT shots. Is there much post production work in those or is that just how the camera and photographer saw it?

2015 His & Her Leopards with Derek Littleton of Luwire Safaris - http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/2971090112
2015 Trophy Bull Elephant with CMS http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/1651069012
DIY Brooks Range Sheep Hunt 2013 - http://forums.accuratereloadin...901038191#9901038191
Zambia June/July 2012 with Andrew Baldry - Royal Kafue http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/7971064771
Zambia Sept 2010- Muchinga Safaris http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/4211096141
Namibia Sept 2010 - ARUB Safaris http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6781076141

Posts: 7624 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 05 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Slider
posted Hide Post
I would recommend a camera that shoots in Raw. It can save some over exposed pics that you will take in Africa.

Posts: 2694 | Location: East Wenatchee | Registered: 18 August 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Nube,

You have received some good replies. My advice is simple: you need a DSLR and a point and shoot. DSLR for when bulk isn't an issue and keep the other one on you at all times and as a backup. However most importantly REALLY learn how to use both. Take classes, read books, practice at a zoo whatever but no matter how good the camera is, if you don't know how what you are doing you won't take great shots.

Posts: 481 | Location: Denver, CO | Registered: 20 June 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks guys for the info. I ended up getting both an SLR and a $450 point and shoot that takes good pics. I really do need a course for the SLR. It is a basic Rebel T3I but it takes good pics and at this point there is no reason to get any other camera. A basic SLR is tough enough to figure out for me now. Here are a few pics with the point and shoot camera.

Posts: 894 | Location: Alberta Canada | Registered: 20 May 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post

Posts: 894 | Location: Alberta Canada | Registered: 20 May 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Wooly ESS
posted Hide Post
I'm an artist and a photography buff, so I seldom go anywhere without a battery of cameras (and camera batteries animal). On our trip to Zimbabwe/Botswana last summer my wife and I packed a Pentax SLR with Sigma 18-200 and Pentax 100-300 Zoom lenses, a Canon Powershot G12 and an Olympus Stylus 710. While hunting in Zim I carried the Pentax SLR with the 18-200 Zoom in my day pack and the Olympus in my shirt pocket. In Bots, while game viewing, the Pentax SLR with 100-300 attached was my main camera with Olympus as backup. The Canon G12 is my wife's camera, and she got some wonderful photos with it throughout our trip.

If I could only take one camera on a trip where photography was secondary to some other activity, the Canon G12 would be my first choice. That is an awesome little camera. It has both a viewfinder and a swivel viewing screen. It can do everything an SLR can do with the exception of interchangeable lens. It is larger and heavier than most pocket cameras, but can still fit in a large pocket, i.e. jacket pocket, cargo pants pocket, but not my shirt pocket. Optical quality and digital resolution are excellent. It's not cheap, but you get what you pay for.

The truth will set you free,
but first it's gonna piss you off!
www.ceandersonart.com

Posts: 574 | Location: The great plains of southern Alberta | Registered: 11 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Frostbit:
quote:
Originally posted by bobby7321:

They are GREAT shots. Is there much post production work in those or is that just how the camera and photographer saw it?

no post at all in those. thats the way it was straight off the card.

Posts: 756 | Location: California | Registered: 26 May 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Use what you know how to use. Sounds simple but I use a pocket Canon 12 megapix camera that works great. I have had a dozen or more cameras on trips and the best one is the one I know how to use.

Posts: 10364 | Location: Texas... time to secede!! | Registered: 12 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Plenty of good pocket cameras and digital slrs out there, the latter should be either Canon (my favorite for film) or Nikon. I only use a point-and-shoot now, the Leica D-Lux 5 (there is, as Saeed's post suggests, a Panasonic near equivalent -- the software is somewhat different). Absolutely vital to be able to get images in RAW as well as JPEG in order to get the maximum out of an image.

That leads to the key to digital photography: learning how to use Photoshop or Lightroom to maximize the information in your image. Yes, some can come off the card as we've seen posted here. But, for odd light and/or creative imagery, some time spent with image editing software is vital. I find Photoshop more intuitive than Lightroom, but admit that I started with Photoshop 4 and use a later version of it now.

Regards

Posts: 1322 | Location: Washington, DC | Registered: 17 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Two thoughts:
1. Very few P & S cameras will "last for years."
2. Some P & S's have slow shutter response. As in push, tick, tick, tick, SNAP.

Posts: 2827 | Location: Seattle, in the other Washington | Registered: 26 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Wink
posted Hide Post
If you like photography and decide to go with a DSLR from Nikon or Canon, remember that camera bodies are constantly being improved and perfected but good lenses last for years and years. The money you spend on high end lenses is the important part of the investment. My present travel bag is a Nikon D700 and three lenses: 16 - 35mm f4 VR Nikkor, 28-300mm Nikkor VR and 50mm f1.4 G Nikkor. The 16-35mm has very good resolution and may be one of the few wide angle lenses with vibration reduction (which as I get older seems to be more appropriate Smiler , the 28-300mm offers great flexibility and enough reach for me for animal photography and the fast 50mm is good for low light working with depth of field. I also own a 105mm Micro Nikkor and a 300mm F4 Nikkor (older with no vibration reduction) but don't usually take them with me unless it's a photographic expedition.

AR, where the hopeless, hysterical hypochondriacs of history become the nattering nabobs of negativisim.

Posts: 7046 | Location: Rambouillet, France | Registered: 25 June 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
When hunting or hiking I only carry a little Canon Ixus on me. There are various models available, the Ixus is an excellent camera.

And in the car I have a Nikon D200 and 25 - 105 lens plus a 80 - 200 lens, both from Nikon. I don't need anything else.

http://www.kapstadt.de/schindlers-africa

Posts: 640 | Location: South Africa | Registered: 12 June 2003Reply With Quote