New
Find
Notify
Tools

DG hunts in RSA near Kruger Park?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Does anyone offer DG hunts on free range ground next to Kruger Park?

Seems I saw some discussion here about a couple of outfits offering buff or lion hunts on the border of Kruger park.

Posts: 10364 | Location: Texas... time to secede!! | Registered: 12 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of JBrown
posted Hide Post
Yeah, I seem to remember the same thing. I believe Ray was offering a 100 pounder that had wandered out of the park.

But the real reason for my reply, Dogcat what are you doing in Cairo?! Sounds pretty cool.

Jason

"You're not hard-core, unless you live hard-core."

Hunting in Africa is an adventure. The number of variables involved preclude the possibility of a perfect hunt. Some problems will arise. How you decide to handle them will determine how much you enjoy your hunt.

Just tell yourself, "it's all part of the adventure." Remember, if Robert Ruark had gotten upset every time problems with Harry
Selby's flat bed truck delayed the safari, Horn of the Hunter would have read like an indictment of Selby. But Ruark rolled with the punches, poured some gin, and enjoyed the adventure.

-Jason Brown

Posts: 6838 | Location: Nome, Alaska(formerly SW Wyoming) | Registered: 22 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Jason,
Moved here due to work. I am in the oil business.

Posts: 10364 | Location: Texas... time to secede!! | Registered: 12 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of JBrown
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dogcat:
Moved here due to work. I am in the oil business.

As I said, that sounds pretty cool!

Jason

"You're not hard-core, unless you live hard-core."

Hunting in Africa is an adventure. The number of variables involved preclude the possibility of a perfect hunt. Some problems will arise. How you decide to handle them will determine how much you enjoy your hunt.

Just tell yourself, "it's all part of the adventure." Remember, if Robert Ruark had gotten upset every time problems with Harry
Selby's flat bed truck delayed the safari, Horn of the Hunter would have read like an indictment of Selby. But Ruark rolled with the punches, poured some gin, and enjoyed the adventure.

-Jason Brown

Posts: 6838 | Location: Nome, Alaska(formerly SW Wyoming) | Registered: 22 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ChrisTroskie
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dogcat:
Does anyone offer DG hunts on free range ground next to Kruger Park?

Seems I saw some discussion here about a couple of outfits offering buff or lion hunts on the border of Kruger park.

Free range is a relative concept for any DG hunts offered in South Africa (save leopard).

There are several ranches bordering Kruger that offers DG hunts but these ranches are fenced.

Some Private Nature Reserves next to Kruger (Timbavati, Klaserie, Grietjie to name a few) dropped fences with Kruger and between themselves several years ago and so formed "Greater Kruger". Whilst hunting in Kruger itself is not allowed; a quota is allocated to the Private Nature Reserves each year and this quota usually includes a few buffalo, elephant and some plains game (not sure about lion).

The PNR's put these quotas out for tender to Hunters / Outfitters and in this way it is possible to hunt DG that basically comes from Kruger (although the hunt is not conducted inside Kruger itself). There are usually restrictions on the size of elephants that are allowed to be taken during such hunts.

These hunts are usually quite expensive as the big guns in the Outfitting industry (with money behind them) usually wins the tenders...

Regards,

Chris Troskie
Tel. +27 82 859-0771
email. chris@ct-safaris.com
Sabrisa Ranch Ellisras RSA
www.ct-safaris.com
https://youtu.be/4usXceRdkH4

Posts: 851 | Location: Sabrisa Ranch Limpopo Province - South Africa | Registered: 03 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of retreever
posted Hide Post
I also have read somewhere no one is allowed to shoot any of the big jumbos if they leave the park. Notification must be made and they will come and return jumbo to Kruger.

Mike

Michael Podwika... DRSS bigbores and hunting www.pvt.co.za " MAKE THE SHOT " 450#2 Famars

Posts: 6768 | Location: Wyoming, Pa. USA | Registered: 17 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Wink
posted Hide Post
Contact Jan Dumon at mwshumba@mweb.co.za He is an old friend and a PH and has good arrangements for "Greater Kruger" hunts. He is based in Hoedspruit. He is also usually at DSC and SCI so you can meet him in person if desired.

AR, where the hopeless, hysterical hypochondriacs of history become the nattering nabobs of negativisim.

Posts: 7046 | Location: Rambouillet, France | Registered: 25 June 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of leopards valley safaris
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by retreever:
I also have read somewhere no one is allowed to shoot any of the big jumbos if they leave the park. Notification must be made and they will come and return jumbo to Kruger.

Mike

yup I had/have access to the klasseri private game reserve and you cant shoot anything over 45 or 50 pds cant rem. which. But the big boys are protected nomatter where they are.

Dave Davenport
Outfitters license HC22/2012EC
Pro Hunters license PH74/2012EC
www.leopardsvalley.co.za
dave@leopardsvalley.co.za
+27 42 24 61388
HUNT AFRICA WHILE YOU STILL CAN
Follow us on FACEBOOK https://www.facebook.com/#!/leopardsvalley.safaris

Posts: 980 | Location: South Africa | Registered: 06 December 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
In September, I hunted Cape Buffalo on a ranch bordering Kruger Park. Forget the size of the ranch, but it was big enough that you hardly ever saw the fences. The ranch house where we stayed was very quaint, what I would call reminiscent of old Africa. The hunt for buff was successful, they also have a lot of other game there, a huge number of giraffe.For more info contact Daniel at Kolobe Safaris. They have a web site.

Posts: 106 | Location: Ontario, Canada | Registered: 27 January 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of tendrams
posted Hide Post
In July 2010 the below offer was made to hunt on the Makuleke ground at Crooks's Corner. The place is simply magic. Other searches for "makuleke" might yield fruit.

Best,

tendrams

http://forums.accuratereloadin...241038531#1241038531