New
Find
Notify
Tools

Leupold VXIII 1.5X5X20 questions
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I will be buying the above scope for my new M70 .416 Remington Safari Express.

I will be using Talley QR rings and bases as I've successfully done on my other two hunting rifles. I am considering the Brockman pop up peep again (didn't work on prior scopes).

Is anyone using Jim's Pop Up Peep system with this scope?
Is it working for you?

Where exactly on the scope is the lens that's to be avooided so that you don't crush or crack it when mounting in the rings?

Thanks,
ScottW

SCI, NRA Life Member

Warm trails and blue skies!

One of Us
Picture of retreever
posted Hide Post
Scott, I had the same scope on my Ruger Lott and I broke the lens twice...The scope must be mounted at least .5 to .75 of an inch from the gold ring...
If you did not buy the scope lok at the same scope with a 32mm bell bigger ppicture...

Mike

Michael Podwika... DRSS bigbores and hunting www.pvt.co.za " MAKE THE SHOT " 450#2 Famars

Posts: 6767 | Location: Wyoming, Pa. USA | Registered: 17 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Scott,

I have the VX III 1.75x6 scopes on my .375s. They have the 32mm bell. The 1.5x5s are nice scopes but I like the 1.75x6s better. I think that they seem to be a little brighter in low light with about the same magnification and only slightly less FOV.

Andy

One of Us
posted Hide Post
The 1.75x6 may have only a little less FOV but it has a lot less adjustment range, 50 inches versus 120 inches per the Leupold catalog. I have had a problem with this scope sighting it in for this reason. It has one of the smaller adjustment ranges of the entire VX III line.

Posts: 3073 | Location: Pittsburgh, PA | Registered: 11 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jorge
posted Hide Post
It's a good scope for the 416 and most hunting conditions, but not so good in low light. I have one on my 416 Ruger Rigby and it's been right on the money for close to 1K rounds. Mine's mounted just aft of the gold ring with no issues. The 1.75X6 has less adjustment tolerances for windage, it's a great scope on a 375 OR if you are planning to use the rifle for leopard. but the 1.5 I think is a sturdier scope. jorge

USN (ret)
DRSS Verney-Carron 450NE
Cogswell & Harrison 375 Fl NE
Sabatti Big Five 375 FL Magnum NE
DSC Life Member
NRA Life Member

Posts: 7145 | Location: Orange Park, Florida. USA | Registered: 22 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ROSCOE
posted Hide Post
The 1.5x5 is designed for low mounting on rifles with a stock design for iron sights. The scopes have less glass and weight than others with a larger objective. They tend to hold up well on heavy recoil rifles. I have no idea why there is less adjustment range since both scopes use 1" tubes.

R. Lee Ermey: "The deadliest weapon in the world is a Marine and his rifle."
We're going to be "gifted" with a health care plan we are forced to purchase and fined if we don't, Which purportedly covers at least ten million more people, without adding a single new doctor, but provides for 16,000 new IRS agents, written by a committee whose chairman says he doesn't understand it, passed by a Congress that didn't read it but exempted themselves from it, and signed by a President, with funding administered by a treasury chief who didn't pay his taxes, for which we'll be taxed for four years before any benefits take effect, by a government which has already bankrupted Social Security and Medicare, all to be overseen by a surgeon general who is obese, and financed by a country that's broke!!!!! 'What the hell could possibly go wrong?'

Posts: 2122 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Why don't you just call Jim Brockman at 1 208 934 5050. He is aware of the potential problems with this scope and will advise you appropriately. Jim's a nice guy, very helpful and if there's a problem/solution he'll know it. He's done work for me on several occassions and I know he's more than willing to answer your questions. I wouldn't do anything with that scope/peep setup until you talk to him.

Posts: 740 | Location: CT/AZ USA | Registered: 14 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Bwanna
posted Hide Post
That's strange, I had the 33 mm VXIII on a .416 Winchester and have just bought the 20 mm VXIII. Haven't put it on yet. I picked up a .458 Lott M77 for elephant and thought I'd try to set it up for that if needed in addition to the open sights. I'll be interested to see what you find out.

Posts: 1667 | Location: Las Vegas, Nevada | Registered: 12 May 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Gents:
I appreciate you replies. I use the VXIII 2.5x8X35 on my -'.06, the VXIII 1.75X6X32 on my .375 H&H and I want to puposely put the VXIII 1.5X5X20 on my dedicated DG rifle, my .416 Remington.
I do not plan to use the .416 as a one gun safari set-up or I would lean toward the 1.75X6X32.

Yes, Jim is all of the above. I have used his services before and he has been very helpful.

Thank you for answering my questions.
ScottW

SCI, NRA Life Member

One of Us
posted Hide Post
As a side note, I mounted my VXIII 1.75X6 on my .375 H&H last week, went to the range to try to at least get it on paper at 25 yards.
Well, much to my surprise, it was right on at 50 yards (1.5" low, windage perfect) with my R22, Fed 215, Hornady 300 gn RN practice rounds! I didn't change one click on the scope. Have you ever had a scope that was spot on without adjustments?! clap Big Grin

SCI, NRA Life Member

One of Us
posted Hide Post
You've got a better chance fo being struck by lightening or winning the lottery. Did You bore sight it?

"shoot quick but take your time"

Posts: 451 | Location: drummond island MI USA | Registered: 03 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
That was my point. I did nothing! It was right on at 50 yds! (1.5" low; dead center).
I did not need to bore sight it as it was right on the first time I shot it!

SCI, NRA Life Member

One of Us
Picture of Woodmnctry
posted Hide Post
Quick!--- go buy a Lottery ticket -- you are on a roll!
G

OMG!-- my bow is "pull-push feed" - how dreadfully embarrasing!!!!!

Posts: 926 | Location: 8K Ft in Colorado | Registered: 10 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Wink
posted Hide Post
Or watch out for the next lightning storm.

AR, where the hopeless, hysterical hypochondriacs of history become the nattering nabobs of negativisim.

Posts: 7046 | Location: Rambouillet, France | Registered: 25 June 2004Reply With Quote