THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AFRICAN HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  African Big Game Hunting    Financier says game hunter swindled him out of $2M on ‘big’ kills: suit
Page 1 2 3 

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Financier says game hunter swindled him out of $2M on ‘big’ kills: suit
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
https://nypost.com/2021/08/04/...m-on-big-kills-suit/

Financier says game hunter swindled him out of $2M on ‘big’ kills: suit

By Priscilla DeGregory and Abby Weiss August 4, 2021 | 6:19pm | Updated

A wealthy financial advisor claims a well-known game hunter swindled him out of more than $2 million — by faking the measurements of his high-profile kills to rack up accolades and drive up business, a new lawsuit charges.

Angus Murray, the CEO and founder of investment firm Castlestone Management, says alleged wolf-in-sheep’s-clothing Jason Stone falsified measurements of “at least twenty animals” so Stone could charge Murray higher prices for the prize kills, according to the Manhattan Supreme Court complaint from Tuesday.

With Stone’s help, Murray won bragging rights for kills including antelope, springbok, buffalo, gazelle and wildebeest that were so big, they made it onto the Safari Club International’s “Top 10” list, the court papers say.

But little did Murray know that Stone was beefing up the measurements of the animals so he could charge his client higher prices for the large prize kills — and use the awards in “advertising, in order to promote his business, attract additional customers, and benefit financially,” the suit alleges.

Murray says Stone, who runs Stone Hunting Safaris, took the false measurements during a series of hunts spanning from 2001 through 2011 — which Murray only realized in January, the suit claims.

Stone Hunting Safaris operates in South Africa, Namibia, Ethiopia, Zambia and Tanzania, according to its website.

For example, Stone measured a Roosevelt Sable Antelope that Murray killed in 2001 just under 105 inches, while an independent measurer hired by Murray last year assessed it at just under 92 inches, court papers allege.

Similarly, Stone measured a wildebeest Murray caught in 2009 at around 96 inches, compared to the independent measurer’s roughly 85 inches, the suit claims.

Murray’s appetite to nab “Top 10” trophy animals grew after a 1999 kill of the second largest kudu antelope in Zambia that made it onto the niche list, the suit says.

“To a hunter, this is a notable accomplishment and earned Murray recognition,” the court documents say.

The moneyman — who would take clients on hunts to help grow his business — met and began hunting with Stone around that time, the suit says.

Stone knew about Murray’s goals for “Top 10s” and knew he would lose his business if he didn’t help Murray target large animals, the filing claims.

“Stone told Murray that he would provide him with larger trophies, for which he would need to pay more money. Murray thereafter took his business to Stone directly,” the suit charges.

But by 2012, Murray hunted “less and less, and turned his focus to promoting conservation through among other things the breeding of rhinoceros,” the filing explains.

In the following years, Murray and Stone’s relationship “soured” after a failed business venture the two had “relating to Murray’s conservation efforts,” the suit claims.

Eventually, in sworn statements that Stone and his brother made during a July 2020 inquiry into the failed business venture, Murray started worrying about the validity of his trophies.

That prompted him to hire an independent measurer in October 2020 whose figures “differed dramatically from those that Stone had reported to both Murray … and to the SCI in order to obtain false records in the SCI record books,” the court documents claim.

After reporting this to the SCI, it “removed all [of] Murray’s records promulgated by Stone, from its record books,” the filing says.

Stone isn’t just accused of faking the size of animals Murry bagged — the hunter also allegedly bought live animals at auction and placed “them in a canned setting for a hunter willing to pay Stone ‘crazy amounts’ of money, under the false impression that the animal is free range,” the court papers charge.

Murray’s lawyer reached out to Stone to try to come up with an amicable resolution — but the overtures have gone unanswered, the court papers allege.

Murray is suing Stone and his company for all the hunt fees he’s paid, totaling $2,168,226, the suit says.

Stone and his company did not immediately return requests for comment.

Kathi

kathi@wildtravel.net
708-425-3552

"The world is a book, and those who do not travel read only one page."

Posts: 9486 | Location: Chicago | Registered: 23 July 2003Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
I LOVE it!

Two of the most stupid, classless, spineless idiots in the hunting community!

If you remember, Jason sold a captured buffalo to Angus for $100,000 - it was advertised here for that price!

Stone had an extraordinary number of highly placed “trophies” in that silliest of all “Record books”

The SCI RECORDS.

I have absolutely no doubt those animals were captured and sold to selfish idiots for ridiculous amount of money just so they have their names in SCI.

Funny part is, non of those “trophies”, or their holders, appear on Stone’s website any more.

I understand from South African professionals that Stone was involved in all sorts of very shady operations to get idiots to shoot record book animals.

Angus is Australian, and he does not need to worry.

But I bet others in America might be feeling a bit uneasy.

I have known of this for many years, and was hoping it would not become public!

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 68685 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
For example, Stone measured a Roosevelt Sable Antelope that Murray killed in 2001 just under 105 inches, while an independent measurer hired by Murray last year assessed it at just under 92 inches, court papers allege.

Similarly, Stone measured a wildebeest Murray caught in 2009 at around 96 inches, compared to the independent measurer’s roughly 85 inches, the suit claims.

More money then brains well do that to you all the time.

The buyer couldn't afford or read a tape measure.

Posts: 19583 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
Jason Stone has so many animals in the SCI RECORD BOOK!

I have absolutely no doubt at all that the majority of these were gotten by illegal means!

Reports I heard from South Africa that he used planes and converted fuel tankers to transport captured animals for silly idiots to kill!

These are the idiots who have no clue what hunting is.

All they care about is their names in a silly book and an “Inner Circle” of like minded wannabe hunters to claim MINE IS BIGGER than yours!

Posts: 68685 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
so what is ego worth barf

Posts: 13460 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by butchloc:
so what is ego worth barf

It is a known fact, in hunting, that one’s ego gets bigger the further he is from being a hunter!

Hunting, should never, ever, been made into a silly competition!

Someone should look on the SCI website to see how many highly placed “trophies” are attributed to Stone!

One of Us
Picture of Michael Robinson
posted Hide Post
How does paying more money for a hunt guarantee a bigger trophy?

Only if it’s a canned “hunt.”

It does not take a genius to figure that out.

I’m pretty sure that this kind of obsession (whether with record books or anything else) is classified by medical experts as a mental illness.

Mike

Wilderness is my cathedral, and hunting is my prayer.

Posts: 13627 | Location: New England | Registered: 06 June 2003Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Michael Robinson:
How does paying more money for a hunt guarantee a bigger trophy?

Only if it’s a canned “hunt.”

It does not take a genius to figure that out.

I’m pretty sure that this kind of obsession (whether with record books or anything else) is classified by medical experts as a mental illness.

Mike,

Here we are dealing with idiots with more money than common sense, let alone being hunters.

Non of this would have happened without SCI!

Law breakers have been at it to get a bigger trophy for years, right from the beginning of the creation of SCI!

Jason Stone only came along to supply the demand!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
"A fool and his money are soon parted" Proverb

"Will you walk away from a fool and his money" Paul McCartney

Posts: 815 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: 05 March 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have no idea how animal’s score equates to marketing and profits. Everything wrong with hunting is on display in this OP.

This is what will kill hunting.

I get everything drives off money, but can’t we come up with a funding model that is not dependent on stupid rewards.

I am very saddened by this report.

Posts: 12095 | Location: Somewhere above Tennessee and below Kentucky  | Registered: 31 July 2016Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by LHeym500:
I have no idea how animal’s score equates to marketing and profits. Everything wrong with hunting is on display in this OP.

This is what will kill hunting.

I get everything drives off money, but can’t we come up with a funding model that is not dependent on stupid rewards.

I am very saddened by this report.

Yes!

Sad, shameful, defies any common sense!

These are the “hunters” waiting for a phone call.

“Good morning sir! You know that pink warthog you were looking for to complete your GOLD INNER CIRCLE requirements? We found one in Botswana and he is already in our special transport coming here. I will make sure he is fed well u til you arrive. Don’t worry about the paperwork, I will make sure everything is in order to meet the high standards SCI requires”

In he hops on a plane, flies over, kills his “trophy” and brags about it!

Now anyone dares tell me what is NOT shameful about this??

One of Us
Picture of Michael Robinson
posted Hide Post
Saeed, IMO, what you have described is self-delusion by the stupid "hunter," facilitation by the negligent record keeper and enabling by the corrupt PH.

I agree that it is shameful on all counts.

Prior to my first safari to the Selous, I got into a conversation about it with a man who was a prominent SCI member, with many animals in the record book.

One comment he made has always stuck with me as a prime example of missing the point entirely.

He said, "Not really a good place to go for big trophies, but okay for a decent full bag."

Mike

Wilderness is my cathedral, and hunting is my prayer.

Posts: 13627 | Location: New England | Registered: 06 June 2003Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Michael Robinson:
Saeed, IMO, what you have described is self-delusion by the stupid "hunter," facilitation by the negligent record keeper and enabling by the corrupt PH.

I agree that it is shameful on all counts.

Prior to my first safari to the Selous, I got into a conversation about it with a man who was a prominent SCI member, with many animals in the record book.

One comment he made has always stuck with me as a prime example of missing the point entirely.

He said, "Not really a good place to go for big trophies, but okay for a decent full bag."

Mike,

People like you and me go hunting because we like to hunt.

The SCI zombies never leave home until they KNOW there is a record animal waiting for them in an enclosure.

Sick does not even come close to describing them!

SCI needs to examine every "trophy" entered by Jason Stone.

That is if anyone at SCI has any balls, and so far they have proven beyond any shadow of a doubt, they don't!

One of Us
Picture of BaxterB
posted Hide Post
If true it seems they are both excellent examples of how not to be a PH or hunter.

I follow Jason on instagram - he does indeed have some big animals to show off.

Administrator
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BaxterB:
If true it seems they are both excellent examples of how not to be a PH or hunter.

These two are the worst examples of what SCI has created!

The client has been happily turning a blind eye to all the illegal things his supplier is doing, for 10 years, as long as he gets his name in that silly record book.

Now he has found a an inch or two are missing, all hell breaks loose!!?

Honestly, no matter how you look at this sorry tale, there is absolutely no way one can make any excuse for it!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
The only ones winning here are the lawyers - so at least they can afford to go hunting.

Seriously it is these sort of news stories that just leave a bad taste and bugger up hunting for the rest of us. Its the sort of story that allows the UK government to try a push through legislation to make bringing back trophies as difficult as possible.

Personally these trophy is the hunt itself, and the whole experience - not just the antlers on the wall.

Posts: 985 | Location: Scotland | Registered: 28 February 2011Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Many hunters are obsessed with the biggest and best.

See it all the time.

Even to the point of attacking some one for a small animal.

Didn't matter if it was one of the funniest hunts one could have or it was a first timers animal.

Or it was mainly shot for meat not trophy purposes.

The critter wasn't big enough even through it was perfectly legal.

Administrator
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BaxterB:

And I bet most of them were shot with Stone! clap

Birds of a feather, always flock together.

Sick minded idiots always find like minded sick idiots!

Administrator
posted Hide Post
I see Stone has removed every picture of his past clients, and their “trophies”!!?

A few years back, it was a display of who is who of the top zombies in the SCI RECORD BOOK OF SILLY TROPHIES!

One of Us
Picture of crshelton
posted Hide Post
MMM, I will stick with my present financial advisor and hunting associates.

NRA Life Benefactor Member,
DRSS, DWWC, Whittington
Center,Android Reloading
Ballistics App at
http://www.xplat.net/

Posts: 2294 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: 25 May 2009Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by crshelton:
MMM, I will stick with my present financial advisor and hunting associates.

If you are a member of SCI, you an get free advice from THE SUPREME COMMITTEE OF INNER CIRCLES! rotflmo

One of Us
posted Hide Post
If everyone will think back a few years , a very large buff was advertised herein for $100,000 (I think ) in Zimbabwe. Mysteriously, this massive buff was taken in the RSA. Guess who the client was? Guess who the PH was?

Tells me all I need to know .

Posts: 12095 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: 26 January 2006Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
Two of the most undesirable examples in hunting.

Thanks to SCI for creating and encouraging them and criminals like them.

One of Us
Picture of Bwana338
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by larryshores:
If everyone will think back a few years , a very large buff was advertised herein for $100,000 (I think ) in Zimbabwe. Mysteriously, this massive buff was taken in the RSA. Guess who the client was? Guess who the PH was?

Tells me all I need to know .

Larry,

A few years back a vehicle became bogged down in the river between Zimbabwe and South Africa. They were transporting Sable. The authorities were alerted to the vehicle that was bogged down in the river and I never heard what became of it. If I remember correctly these were Sable from Zambia being smuggled into South Africa.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

"You've got the strongest hand in the world. That's right. Your hand. The hand that marks the ballot. The hand that pulls the voting lever. Use it, will you" John Wayne

Posts: 1626 | Location: West River at Heart | Registered: 08 April 2012Reply With Quote
One Of Us
posted Hide Post
This is VERY INTERESTING!!
In 2019 I was pursuing a hunt in Zambia since I missed my opportunity SITATUNGA in Tondwa with duPlooys, I was looking at Roan and Puku to wrap up a hunting award. Someone referred me, I recall from Africa, to Jason Stone and several others. I communicated with several...but Jason Stone just left me with a squirrely feeling right from the get go... I didn't pursue his hunts!! Funny how intuition tells, right from the openers!!
WOW!! glad I dodged that bullet!!

470EDDY

Posts: 2674 | Location: The Other Washington | Registered: 24 March 2003Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
They had a system of transporting animals by plane.

That apparently got discovered by certain individuals in the authorities who took a dim view of it - apparently, someone, NOT in South Africa, discovered it,a nd put a stop to it.

Then I heard they converted fuel trucks to carry the animals across borders.

All to satisfy the sick cravings of SCI Zombies!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
It would be interesting to find out if any of these critters were actually recorded in the record book.

Posts: 12095 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: 26 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
quote:
After reporting this to the SCI, it “removed all [of] Murray’s records promulgated by Stone, from its record books,” the filing says.

Mike

Posts: 21695 | Registered: 03 January 2006Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MJines:
quote:

Angus is NOT at fault.

At least not as much as Jason Stone!

STONE is the CRIMINAL!

And HIS so called "trophies" should be examined!

From a drug point of view, Angus is a user.

Jason Stone is a dealer!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
All rather funny to me. I followed Jason on Instagram for alittle while.

But just something wasn't right, I unfollowed along time ago and happier for it not in my feed.

Something just never seemed above board.

Posts: 135 | Location: B.C. Canada  | Registered: 07 June 2016Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of DCS Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Crazy_farmer:
All rather funny to me. I followed Jason on Instagram for alittle while.

But just something wasn't right, I unfollowed along time ago and happier for it not in my feed.

Something just never seemed above board.

I had seen many of the trophies his hunters had killed on the Facebook. Many were monsters. I congratulated him and the hunter for magnificent specimens.

There is a lot of stuff flying around when litigation is involved.

Stone has disappeared from the Facebook, as he was likely advised by counsel.

Why can’t we just hunt and have fun?

I meant to be DSC Member...bad typing skills.

Marcus Cady

DRSS

Posts: 3453 | Location: Dallas | Registered: 19 March 2008Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
quote:

We do.

The majority of hunters do just that.

But, SCI comes along, and changes all that.

Hunting, as an enjoyable pastime, no longer exists for SCI.

They had to make it a COMPETITION!

A VERY SICK COMPETITION!

What I feel sad about is the few - I am sure there are some - clients Stone had that were unaware of his criminal activities!

Most, though, deserve what they get!

MINE IS BIGGER THAN YOURS!

An SCI ULTIMATE GOAL!

Removing Angus’s trophies was a first step.

Now examine everything Stone put there!

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:

The quest to be famous and maybe make some money have infected many hunters and guides.

Many here have the disease.

Point to be made my DIL shot her first bear last fall. She started hunting after she married my son.

She was nursing her baby at the time and didn't have a lot of time to hunt.

It field dressed at 163lbs live weight some where around 200.

Several here condemned it as being too small several called it a cub.

Several made nasty remarks.

My DIL couldn't have been happier.

She made a great shot, The family had some great bear meat to eat.

But still some here complained.

One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
We are known by the company we keep. “The company” lost the plot long ago.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
J. Lane Easter, DVM

A born Texan has instilled in his system a mind-set of no retreat or no surrender. I wish everyone the world over had the dominating spirit that motivates Texans.– Billy Clayton, Speaker of the Texas House

No state commands such fierce pride and loyalty. Lesser mortals are pitied for their misfortune in not being born in Texas.— Queen Elizabeth II on her visit to Texas in May, 1991.

Posts: 37820 | Location: Gainesville, TX | Registered: 24 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Charlie64
posted Hide Post

quote:
From a drug point of view, Angus is a user.

Jason Stone is a dealer!

Excellent analogy!

"Up the ladders and down the snakes!"

Posts: 2327 | Location: South Africa & Europe | Registered: 10 February 2014Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ledvm:

I assume you mean SCI by the “company”

And you would be right too.

On a personal level, I have been hunting with dozens of professional hunters.

Every single one has been nothing but a gentleman!

I remember Jason Stone’s name came up in a conversation.

One particular PH said “boy oh boy! That is one nasty character! He goes to all the farms before auctions. Picks the animals he wants, and pays whatever money is asked. The really big trophies never make it to auctions. He has clients waiting to double his money”

One of Us
Picture of BaxterB
posted Hide Post
“The company” is more a mindset than an organization as far as I am concerned.

I had a conversation with a guy who’s brother is a major hunting personality here in the US. He hates what the popularity of hunting has done in the states.

He started a tongue-in-cheek “organization” where the tag line was “Depublicize, Deglorify, Demonetize. Hunting is best done quietly.”

Pretty much where I sit on the issue. Hunt hard, have a great time, but to hell with record books, organizations, social media, and any entity where killing big animals leads to a monetary or social/fame return.

Hunters better start righting the ship or it will be righted for us.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
https://deadspin.com/why-does-...p-shootin-1721784941

According to this article this guy Angus Murray claimed to be a born again anti hunter while he continued hunting. If true, that is real lowlife behavior to throw your fellow sportsmen under the bus to give cover to yourself.

One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Saeed:
quote:
Originally posted by ledvm:

I assume you mean SCI by the “company”

And you would be right too.

On a personal level, I have been hunting with dozens of professional hunters.

Every single one has been nothing but a gentleman!

I remember Jason Stone’s name came up in a conversation.

One particular PH said “boy oh boy! That is one nasty character! He goes to all the farms before auctions. Picks the animals he wants, and pays whatever money is asked. The really big trophies never make it to auctions. He has clients waiting to double his money”

+1

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
J. Lane Easter, DVM

A born Texan has instilled in his system a mind-set of no retreat or no surrender. I wish everyone the world over had the dominating spirit that motivates Texans.– Billy Clayton, Speaker of the Texas House

No state commands such fierce pride and loyalty. Lesser mortals are pitied for their misfortune in not being born in Texas.— Queen Elizabeth II on her visit to Texas in May, 1991.

Posts: 37820 | Location: Gainesville, TX | Registered: 24 December 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Folks,

The two mentioned parties are not hunters in my book and make us all look bad.

Now! As this has turned into another let's bash SCI thread I'd like to know what is wrong with the below quote. It sounds informative to me and frankly I might say the same thing to a client depending on the area and what their goals were.

quote:
"Not really a good place to go for big trophies, but okay for a decent full bag."

There is an area for example in Southern Africa that has the most phenomenal PG hunting and wide variety of species I know of. If clients comes to me and says "I want a big sable" I'm not doing to direct him to the place I mentioned even though there are good numbers of sable there as the client just won't kill a big one there. On the other hand if he wants a great PG hunt with great trophies overall this area would be my first choice every time.

Mark

MARK H. YOUNG
MARK'S EXCLUSIVE ADVENTURES
7094 Oakleigh Dr. Las Vegas, NV 89110
Office 702-848-1693
Cell, Whats App, Signal 307-250-1156 PREFERRED
E-mail markttc@msn.com
Check us out on https://www.facebook.com/pages...ures/627027353990716

Posts: 13008 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote