New
Find
Notify
Tools

Physical conditioning for a Safari
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
A question for you PH's. I was told back in my 20's to do your mountain hunting while you are young and go to Africa when your legs become a bit weary.
I would still suspect a reasonable amount of fitness helps in hunting Africa. (not baited Leopards).
Do you feel that most clients come physically prepared to hunt game such as Elephant and Buffalo? Does that play into the success?
I noted on another thread about the dreaded Mark Sullivan that he states most clients cannot shoot worth beans. Well, he is probably right when their heart is pounding out of their chest due to being out of shape. I have hunted with enough guides to know they can wear you down quick if you do not prepare ahead of time.
I have archery elk hunted with guys that can thread a needle on a archery range but cannot lift their bow to shoot something after scaling a small hill.
How does fitness "really" play in hunting success in most of Africa?

EZ

Posts: 3256 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 January 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
walk/jog a lot. It's just a continuous succession of little dinky hills to climb up and back down...

Ten to twelve miles a day is not uncommon. I lost seventeen pounds in nine days, and drank nearly a gallon of water a day.

Rich

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of retreever
posted Hide Post
NO heroics but just walking in uneven terrain up and down slopes and a 10 lb dumbbell in hand. After 3 weeks of good walking and exercising with the weight. You will be ready. But 6 weeks would be much better.
This past summer in the Selous we chased buf 10 miles out. No bull crap, the GPS said so. Ten miles back.

Mike

Michael Podwika... DRSS bigbores and hunting www.pvt.co.za " MAKE THE SHOT " 450#2 Famars

Posts: 6768 | Location: Wyoming, Pa. USA | Registered: 17 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Last trip I prepared by walking 8 or 9 miles as hard as I could go every other day and ate a high protein diet, plus a lot of carbs. I was 66 when I went. Did the same thing in '06 for the Selous and we walked a lot of miles in search of buff then. I never regretted a mile I walked in preparation.

Posts: 11729 | Location: Florida | Registered: 25 October 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
As a whole, and on average, African hunting is just about the easiest hunting there is to do, as far as physical exertion is concerned.

There are variables, of course, as it is a big continent, but most hunting is fair weather, low altitude, flat, sandy soil, and there is always a small army there at most all times to help in the form of the scouts, trackers, skinners, packers, etc..
That, and they feed you like royalty everyday and in 99% of the places, you get a nice bed/cot to sleep on each night. Pretty easy conditions. But that's one of the nice perks about African hunting.

Posts: 2163 | Registered: 13 February 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Charles_Helm
posted Hide Post
The better shape you are in, the more you will enjoy it and the harder you can hunt. The PH will be happy too.

I know Africa is supposed to be easy but whenever I go there someone asks me to climb a friggin' mountain. Eeker

Posts: 8773 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of buckeyeshooter
posted Hide Post
I strap a gunsling on a 45 pound olympic bar, sling it and walk laps. start with one and work up to 5 or so miles a day.

Posts: 5717 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 02 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of safari-lawyer
posted Hide Post
Just walk. Flat land, roads, trails, some hills. Few miles a day for a few weeks ahead of time and you'll be ready for most African hunting.

Will J. Parks, III

Posts: 2989 | Location: Alabama USA | Registered: 09 July 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of safari-lawyer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sevenxbjt:
Is it reasonable to assume that if you are in good enough shape to do mountain hunts in the western US you are good to go?
I'm planning my first trip for buff currently and have wondered about this myself.

Yes.

Will J. Parks, III

Posts: 2989 | Location: Alabama USA | Registered: 09 July 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Charles_Helm
posted Hide Post
quote:
Is it reasonable to assume that if you are in good enough shape to do mountain hunts in the western US you are good to go?
I'm planning my first trip for buff currently and have wondered about this myself.

Depending on the heat and your acclimation to it, you should be good.

Posts: 8773 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:

Plenty good enough. ScottyBoy said African hunting is the easiest around and I could not agree more.

You could probably climb Kilimanjaro after the hunt. I did one year. Ms AZWriter met me in Moshi. Had a great time. A picture of the sign on the top of the mountain ("Congratulations! You are now at Uhuru Peak Tanzania. Africa's highest point. World's Highest Free-Standing Mountain.") makes a great addition to the trophy room.

Don't Ever Book a Hunt with Jeff Blair
http://forums.accuratereloadin...821061151#2821061151

Posts: 7578 | Location: Arizona and off grid in CO | Registered: 28 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BrettAKSCI
posted Hide Post
I do this: www.crossfit.com and swim .5 mile 4-5 times a week.

Brett

DRSS
Life Member SCI
Life Member NRA
Life Member WSF

Rhyme of the Sheep Hunter
May fordings never be too deep, And alders not too thick; May rock slides never be too steep And ridges not too slick.
And may your bullets shoot as swell As Fred Bear's arrow's flew; And may your nose work just as well As Jack O'Connor's too.
May winds be never at your tail When stalking down the steep; May bears be never on your trail When packing out your sheep.
May the hundred pounds upon you Not make you break or trip; And may the plane in which you flew Await you at the strip.
-Seth Peterson

Posts: 4551 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 21 February 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Scottyboy:
As a whole, and on average, African hunting is just about the easiest hunting there is to do, as far as physical exertion is concerned.

There are variables, of course, as it is a big continent, but most hunting is fair weather, low altitude, flat, sandy soil, and there is always a small army there at most all times to help in the form of the scouts, trackers, skinners, packers, etc..
That, and they feed you like royalty everyday and in 99% of the places, you get a nice bed/cot to sleep on each night. Pretty easy conditions. But that's one of the nice perks about African hunting.

This is so far from my experience I have to wonder if our experiences were from the same continent.

Every safari I have been on included tracking elephants, and while some days were easier than others, elephants will go and go and there is no terrain an elephant can't conquer.

Scramble up a mountain with one hand on the ground in front of you, loosing a half a step sliding back with each step forward, only to get to the top and discover that not only is it easy for the elephant, but he can run either up or down without a problem.

Even when you find them on the flat, a day of walking in 110* heat will take it out of you.

JPK

Free 500grains

Posts: 4900 | Location: Chevy Chase, Md. | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JPK:
quote:
Originally posted by Scottyboy:

This is so far from my experience I have to wonder if our experiences were from the same continent.

Every safari I have been on included tracking elephants, and while some days were easier than others, elephants will go and go and there is no terrain an elephant can't conquer.

Scramble up a mountain with one hand on the ground in front of you, loosing a half a step sliding back with each step forward, only to get to the top and discover that not only is it easy for the elephant, but he can run either up or down without a problem.

Even when you find them on the flat, a day of walking in 110* heat will take it out of you.

JPK

The "easiest hunting there is" may apply to a South African ranch hunt, but my hunts on open concessions in Zimbabwe and Tanzania would not bear this out. I am in decent shape. I run three times a week and climb 60 flights of stairs two days a week and tracking elephant and buffalo will still have my ass dragging at the end of the day. I think the better shape you are in the more satisfying the hunt will be since you will not be limited to certain areas, areas easily assessible by vehicle, etc.

Mike

Posts: 21719 | Registered: 03 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'd say the question can best be answered in that all African hunting is not the same.

A) Yes eezridr there are some creme puff African hunts in which you spot game from the road in a Toyota landcruiser, can shoot the animal from the landcruiser or get out take two steps put up shooting sticks and whack the animal. That's one version of Africa hunting.

B) Now there are also plainsgame species that you will spot and stalk for 10 minutes to let's say an hour, because every time you get sorta close they run off. If you miss a couple shots too, and the PH insists on staying with the herd, you'll put in some walking-so you have to be in fairly good shape.

C) Elephants and cape buffalo hunts depending on the area could be a little more strenuous. Some guys walk ten miles and don't even get a shot. Some guys walk ten miles because they're chasing a wounded animal. Either possible scenario requires you to be in a little better shape, that what's described in "B" above. The PH will tailor the hunt to your physical toughness, but the bottom line is, the better shape you're in the better off you're gonna be.

PH's like to see clients in good shape. They size you up the minute they see you at the airport or the airstrip. Don't tell them how great a hunter or shooter you are, just show them on day one.

D) Then there is what's known as specialty game...Lord Derby Eland, Mt. Nyala and Bongo. It doesn't sound like you're at that quest yet. You can shoot all three sitting on your ass, waiting for them to show at a blind/at a crossing, or you can go after them and hunt them down. This is a type of pursuit that's very demanding. You'll battle heat, exhaustion, elevation, fatigue and pesky flies.

SO in a nutshell Africa hunting runs the gamut. You can do a soft hunt or a more exhausting hunt depending on the area or quarry.

You'll find in the end however that, the harder you work for a trophy in Africa, the greater the reward; the more you'll enjoy it when you stare at it in your trophy room.

Posts: 636 | Location: The Hills | Registered: 24 January 2006Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
Yes, you7 do need to be in reasonably good physical condition if you want to enjoy your hunt to the full.

Depending on the area, you might get by by riding in the truck most of the time, taking a few short walks every now and then.

In other areas, you will absolutely nothing if you cannot walk at least 10 miles aday in uneven country.

I have had friends hunt with us who spent the rest of the safari in camp after an arduous all day chase.

You really don't want to get into that sort of situation.

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 68793 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Charles_Helm:
The better shape you are in, the more you will enjoy it and the harder you can hunt. The PH will be happy too.

I know Africa is supposed to be easy but whenever I go there someone asks me to climb a friggin' mountain. Eeker

I seem to recall Myles telling me about "death march" you went on not long before I got into camp! Big Grin

"Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life." Terry Pratchett.

Posts: 3519 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: 25 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of 500nitro
posted Hide Post
Generally speaking I suggest a 45 min brisk walk for up to 8 weeks before a safari, and if you are past the 55 yr old bracket, add another couple of weeks.
Try and introduce a couple of inclines, and carry a 3kg dumbell in each hand.
Ganyana used to toss his daughter into her papoose type backpack and trot around the Harare suburbs with his rifle in his mitt. I am not sure that would go down so well in the suburbs or cities elsewhere Big Grin

Harris Safaris
PO Box 853
Gillitts
RSA 3603

www.southernafricansafaris.co.za
https://www.facebook.com/pages...=aymt_homepage_panel

"There is something about safari life that makes you forget all your sorrows and feel as if you had drunk half a bottle of champagne." - Karen Blixen,

Posts: 1069 | Location: Durban,KZN, South Africa | Registered: 16 January 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Charles_Helm
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Lhook7:

I seem to recall Myles telling me about "death march" you went on not long before I got into camp! Big Grin

There are some short cuts that do no turn out as advertised. bewildered

One of Us
Picture of CaneCorso
posted Hide Post
Better add some Man Makers to the walking ... Wink

~~~

Be watchful, stand firm in the faith, act like men, be strong.
1 Corinthians 16:13

Posts: 622 | Location: CA, USA | Registered: 01 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of LionHunter
posted Hide Post
Some African hunting is "easy", some is difficult and some is a flat out hard hump. Ranch hunting is generally not hard and is mostly relatively flat terrain. Weather can play a major issue in the degree of difficulty. I've never learned to enjoy hunting anything in 120F conditions, although I have done. Swamps can be extremely problematic as can flood plains. And there happen to be lots of mountains and hill country in good hunting areas of Africa. I've been fortunate to have hunted all these and more while on safari.

I never have a problem falling asleep after a days hunt in Africa. As I am planning another Ele safari in October, I will start a walking and climbing program next week.

Mike
NRA Life
Sables Life
Mzuri
IPHA

"To be a Marine is enough."

Posts: 3577 | Location: Silicon Valley | Registered: 19 November 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MJines:
quote:
Originally posted by JPK:

JPK

The "easiest hunting there is" may apply to a South African ranch hunt, but my hunts on open concessions in Zimbabwe and Tanzania would not bear this out. I am in decent shape. I run three times a week and climb 60 flights of stairs two days a week and tracking elephant and buffalo will still have my ass dragging at the end of the day. I think the better shape you are in the more satisfying the hunt will be since you will not be limited to certain areas, areas easily assessible by vehicle, etc.

Well, I've too have hunted elephant and buff in Africa but to compare it to REAL physical hunting is just apples to oranges.. Remember, we're talking about the PHYSICAL aspect of the hunt, not the species being hunted in this discussion. I've only been on 2 DG hunts, both in Zimbabwe, both in OPEN concessions (for whatever thats worth) and the areas were by no means challanging as far as the terrain in concerned. Yep, it was hot (Feb once and Oct once) and yes we marched many miles each and every day tracking our quarry but to say it was a ball busting hunt is just humorous. It was mearly walking whether it was uphill, downhill, or on the long flat areas!! Just good ol' walking.

To say that the ranch hunts are somehow "easier" just isn't what we are debating here. The species hunted on such a place? Yes.. The terrain? Nope.. I can just as easily walk out of the the lodge on some ranch and walk all day in RSA for PG just as easily as I can drive the two tracks in "real" Africa and cut the spoor of the buff, ele, lion or whatever else I may be hunting across the road, get out and walk all day in Zim, Tanz, or anywhere else in Africa.
I mean come on here, how hard can it actually be when a person asks for advise on how well of shape he/she should be for the upcoming hunt and folks reply to the tone of "a 45 min brisk walk for up to 8 weeks before a safari and you should be good to go"?? Try that on a Dall's sheep hunt!! On that same note, on what other hunts can I wear a Tshirt, shorts and Keeva sandles as my HUNTING wear (that's really what I wear ,on average, while over there)?!! That alone says alot about the physical aspects of the place. Along those same lines, you don't have to pack anything while hunting such as food, shelter, water (hell, you don't even have to carry your own GUN if you don't want to..gunbearer anyone?). What little IS taken on the hunt once it's time to debark the baakie is carried by the trackers. You carry what you want to. Maybe a bottle or 2 of water, your ammo, a camera, binos, maybe a candy bar, and that's about it. Not too difficult IMO.

ANY hunt for sheep, goats, tahr, chamois, CO early season muleys, AZ coues, most elk hunts, etc. makes 95% (minus the mtn nyala, aoudad, and the long gone ibex, etc) of all African hunts seem like a walk in the park.. I mean I've never seen anyone rope up or pull out an ice axe in any African hunting scene. Please take note that I said 95% AND NOT 100%..there are always exceptions to the rule in everything. The LDE hunts seem to press the issue pretty well because of the opressive heat and humidity.

I really don't understand why everytime this subject is brought up here, folks tend to get really "touchy" when others on here say that African hunting (the PHYSICAL PORTION) really isn't hard.. It seems that by doing such, some react in a way that by saying such is to demean their African hunting "prowess".. That's not the case here folks.

Hey, I'm not wanting to argue with ya'll.. Hell, I enjoy African hunting just as much as the next gent on this site! I live for going out for nice LONG strolls in the African bush with a gun in hand.. That's what makes Africa so much fun and so enjoyable.. and Nice and Easy!! Now getting the animals to cooperate, well that's a different matter altogether.. They're what draw all of us back over and over to those great places over there.

Backpacking for 7 days in the shadow of Mt Cook in New Zealand in search of tahr and chamois while carrying everything you need on your back? HARD

A full on winter accent of Mt Rainier in WA to the 14,411 ft. summit in Jan in -30 degree temps and whiteout conditions? VERY HARD

Elephant hunting in Zimbabwe in Feb? Not so hard. Fun? You're damn right!!

Argue away gents.. I'm bowing out of this one with my .02 said.
Adios!

Posts: 2163 | Registered: 13 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I would say 90% of wounded animals are as a result of the client being tired or out of breath when the chance for the shot came.

I once had a guy book a hunt in the zambezi escarpment...I soon discovered I needed a ladcruiser becuase he simply didn't fit in a Landrover...5'11" and 300lbs...He pushed a bead walking up the steps to his chalet let alone walking up those hills...Each day his stated minimum trophy size came down Wink - he finally got an 18lb bull Big Grin

With a bit of research you can find easier places to hunt. Save valley tends to be fairly flat going as does much of Matetsi. The floor of the valley is easy (ish) going as well. Book in mid winter when it is simply warm, and you only require a 'fair' degree' of fitness to hunt either elephant or buffalo. You will need to walk, and walk quite far, but it is fairly easy going. Book a hunt anywhere in hill country or the escarpment like chete, Omay, Makuti, Cheore, Dande...you will need to be quite a bit fitter.

The altitude affects many who have trained at sea level...I know. I spent a month near sea level and then did a hunt at only 4000ft in the escapment ...and dang it nearly killed me- despite the fact that I had been running every day.

Posts: 3026 | Location: Zimbabwe | Registered: 23 July 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
You don't want to be a 5 X 5 hunter. The guides kidded about an out of shape hunter a few years ago in the NWT while I was hunting Dall's sheep. He could walk five minutes but then had to rest five minutes.

That said, he got the biggest ram from our camp after walking at most about a quarter mile according to his guide. He missed the first shot at 75 yards, then hit him at about 100 yards. Sometimes if you're lucky you don't need to be in shape.

Posts: 13876 | Location: Texas | Registered: 10 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Again, I totally agree with ScottyBoy. Then again, I don't think anything of hiking down the Grand Canyon and back up with a pack, etc. One year we went down the south side and up the north in one day. Granted, we didn't carry packs like we do when we camp at the bottom, but that is a long way. It tears your feet up. Ms AZwriter went back the next day. I will admit my feet were too blistered and I caught a ride back (took 5 hours to drive around).

Walking ten miles in the heat? Puhleeze. Just not that hard. I run 4 miles in the "mountains" behind my house about 3 times a week.

Has anyone ever done a backpack sheep hunt and felt it was easier than any African hunting? What about non-helicopter (not getting dropped off at the top) hunting for tahr and chamois? Most elk hunting is infinitely harder than African hunting.

Any DIY hunt in Alaska is much harder than Africa- you have to carry the meat yourself. When is the last time any of you caped your own animal and then humped it out of Africa???

I did a backpack moose hunt in BC a few years ago. Had to hump that meat about two miles over two feet deep mud - and not just one trip either. That was painful.

Everytime this subject comes up, we hear how hard Africa hunting can be. Unfortunately, those doing the posting only seem to hunt Africa. Bill C you around? Chime in. You have a "full bag" from around the world.

ScottyBoy: A winter ascent of Rainer is not only a lot harder than ANY African hunting, it is a infinitely more dangerous. Congrats.

Don't Ever Book a Hunt with Jeff Blair
http://forums.accuratereloadin...821061151#2821061151

Posts: 7578 | Location: Arizona and off grid in CO | Registered: 28 July 2004Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
Gentlemen,

Let us keep in mind that a lot more people who are NOT in very good physical condition go to Africa than all the other "difficult" hunts mentioned.

And here is where it gets interesting.

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 68793 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill C
posted Hide Post
EZ – please post a picture of yourself, preferably without a shirt on, so we can compare you to Scottyboy. Big Grin

Looks like somebody needs to hit the weight room. Wink

Just razzing you, you look in great shape, and that climb is something to be proud of, I know I would be. Just remember, many guys on this forum have done wonderful things in their 20’s and 30’s. When one is in their 50’s and 60’s plus, things change. Except for AnotherAz, who's an amazing freak of nature. Smiler

When I came back from my sheep hunts, I said, “That’s it, never again”. After 6-weeks I was thinking about the next one. They were hard hunts, for me. I’ve had a few African hunts that were hard, made so mostly by my own doing such as the time of the year, the stated objectives of the hunt, the concession / terrain, and by booking with younger, fit PH's who like to walk and who are a bit shall we say...heathly-competitive!

This being said, there are PH’s who routinely do 150-200+ days a year and do so for decades, something the mountain guides could come nowhere close to given the extreme conditions they face. Many sheep guides have busted knees before they are 30...and I've talked to a few about this very subject.

It’s not difficult for most sports hunters to get up for a few days of tracking elephant, but after about a dozen, it begins to wear on one. Throw in some heat, rain, stomach distress, disrupted sleep patterns, anti-malaria med funkiness, or gimpy joint…and the difficulty increases.

I know from talking to many PH’s that the majority of hunters do suffer, and at some point during the hunt they need to dial-back the ground they cover, thereby limiting the hunt. My suggestion to hunters (and PH’s, especially those who forget how disruptive the long flight and different time zone can be) is to not bust the client the first few days, and by day 5 or 6 most reasonably fit guys are hitting their stride.

I’ve also had some easy African hunts for buffalo and plainsgame, where by all accounts the PH (and/or cameraman) was suffering more than I. On my first African hunt (to South Africa) I was +30lbs and buggered up my ankle "playing" racquetball a few weeks beforehand. I still had a nice trip and shot lots of plainsgame, but of course stalked my game moreso via diesel than shoe leather. My next trip is backpacking in the Zambezi escarpment, I’m training now (a trip is GREAT motivator to get or stay in shape) and doing as much road cycling as I can given the cold and snow, but a nagging hip may not hold up to the climbing/packing and we’ll need to adjust the plan. We’ll see. I know my 19 year old 6’1” 200lb 350-lb bench-pressing son will have no problems!!!

The point is....In the end, it is all relative to YOUR particular hunt and YOUR particular situation (age, conditioning, physical limitations).

The better condition you are in, the better you will hold up and the more satisfying the hunt will be for you and the others in your hunting party. BUT - what is wonderful about Africa is that people of all ages and abillities can have successful and enjoyable adventures.

Posts: 3153 | Location: PA | Registered: 02 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
At 66 I was pretty well prepared, I thought.

Did not prepare and still am perplexed at how to prepare for an hour of crawling in three foot high buffle grass shortly after seeing about a four foot long puff adder! I just do not think they make a training regimen for this event. It was a blast at sundowner time!

Posts: 1324 | Registered: 17 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Scottyboy and AAZ Writer, I agree with what you guys are saying. For the most part, Africa is not that difficult to hunt.

As Saeed suggested above, "difficult" is all relative, based on conditioning and existing health. You guys are very healthy studly gents...but other guys don't have it that easy---unhealthy, pot bellied, weak knee-ed with back problems.

I've explained the variable above in an earlier post so I get what you're saying.

And I think you're right as well---in that people often tend to exaggerate the demands and toughness of an African hunt, to uphold the prestige of a Bark Continent safari. Africa will always be prestigious regardless. It's Africa!

My advice to everybody is to get in shape and stay in shape, for life, not just a safari. If you stay in good shape in between safaris you put yourself in position to enjoy many more safaris in the future.

One of the guys I'm gonna be hunting with soon in Tanzania is a 77-year-old guy. He's kept himself in great shape over the years and shouldn't have any problem keeping up with the PH. When I'm 77 I hope I'm still doing the same.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have run for most of the last 38 years. Generally 5 miles a day 6 days a week. I walk 1-2 miles afterward . I lift weights with a trainer 3 days a week. Put
me in the flatlands and I can out walk just about anyone. However, nothing I do seems to prepare me for altitude or climbing. I live in the flatlands less than 50 feet above sealevel. The altitude and climbing, particularly downhill absolutely wear me out no matter how much I prepare. I would br interested in what you all do to prepare for climbing .

Posts: 12105 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: 26 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
BTW; I am not getting any younger either @ 53 and like others have made mention on these threads Hunting is allot of my incentive to stay in shape, especially Elk hunting.
I am not goat hunting anymore!
I hope I am able to hunt at 77. You fellows have provided allot of excellent feedback.
Larry, I live at 500' elevation and altitude kicks my ass as well!

EZ

Posts: 3256 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 January 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Larry: One of the keys to successful climbing is having strong knees. I'd recommend as you're doing weight training, to work in 'quadriceps extensions,' and 'hamstring curls'...into your routine at least once a week. As you strengthen the two major muscle groups that attach to your knee joints, you indirectly strengthen the knee as well.

Stronger knees will definitely help you descend quicker from a climb, and ascend as well. But whenever anyone is having difficulty, coming down from a climb, it's usually a knee issue.

Cardio wise you should be fine coming down, but when your knees can't take it, it hurts to descend.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have a lot of respect for guys like Bill C and Scottyboy. It takes a lot of determination and perseverance to do what they've been able to accomplish. I've done several mountain hunts (5 sheep and rams) and not one has been easy. I've also done RSA and survived the heat, humidity and long walks in CAR.
Keep in mind that if you're used to carrying say 225 lbs and you hit light weights, some cardio and probably eat a little better and get down to 205 lbs. That's the equivalent of carrying 20 lbs every waking moment. Your body hasn't lost muscle when you lost that 'extra' 20 lbs. It just lost that extra baggage.

Posts: 3456 | Location: Austin, TX | Registered: 17 January 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I think fitness is best achieved by just trying to be more active from one year to another.Things like walking more often,trying to excercise once in a while,not over endulging,avoid too much alcohol etc...In other words,it's a long term thing.Don't let anything worry you too much and try to enjoy yourself as much as you can.

Posts: 11651 | Location: Montreal | Registered: 07 November 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill C
posted Hide Post
Thanks Bluefin, that is nice to hear.

As I tend to come up in these threads no doubt as a result of my hunt reports, I think I should share a bit of personal information here as perhaps it can be of some motivation to others...

I have asthma that is not triggered by exercise [thankfully!] but by things like mold, animal dander, household chemicals, MSG, etc. It’s ok now as I know what to avoid and am diligent in doing so, but when I was a child (before asthma was as prevalent as it is now), I was in a pretty bad way for years. There was no effective treatments nor a real understanding of the triggers, and the home I grew up in was actually the main contributor to my problems. I won’t go into details, but suffice to say that when you cannot breath, you cannot play competitive sports, walk up a flight of steps, or even fall to sleep laying down.

In my mid 30’s it flaired up again and I realized that lifting weights was not enough anymore, which is about the time I “found Africa” (or I guess, really, it found me). I believe this is pretty common, or more common than is spoken of.

So diet and exercise including daily training of some sort, and being “fit” is very important to me - especially now as I can appreciate how wonderful it is to feel good, and know that time and age inevitably catches up with us all. My plan is to work and exercise and hunt as hard as I can while I can, enjoy every minute of it, and not take anything for granted. And God willing, Marc when we are in our 70’s, we’ll be hunting buddies, talking about the glory days!

Posts: 3153 | Location: PA | Registered: 02 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Damn Larry,

When do you have time to work. I weight train 4 days a week and don't run enough, but that is more important. I too croak at altitude. Always have.

Jeff

Posts: 2857 | Location: FL | Registered: 18 September 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Jeff:

I never sleep. At the tender age of 54 it ain't likely to get any better.

Posts: 12105 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: 26 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I use "my next hunt" as an incentive to exercise and stay in better physical condition.Period... The problem with it is due to old knee injuries,, football,, 6 cartlige repairs , two AC ligament repairs,, I can no longer run, jog,, period! Not that I don't want to,, just too unstable and damaged,,, but I can walk and the best exercise for the old knees is a stationary bike. That is about exciting as watching mud dry so I program the bike for increased resistence and put it in front of the TV and put on Africa hunting videos that I have collected over the years,,, The 40 minutes a day on the bike aren't so boring then.
When you hunt with "eyedoc' here on AR,, you better be somewhat in shape because that cajun can flat cover the ground hunting,, this fall he ran a 26 K marathon in great time... I don't worry about the PH,, I worry about keeping up with my buddy!

you can make more money, you can not make more time

Posts: 786 | Location: Mexia Texas | Registered: 07 July 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Muletrain
posted Hide Post
larryshores and someone else above are 100% correct about a little altitude. Having lived most of my life in flat coastal plains (Houston) there is nothing you can do to prepare for hunting at any altitude. You can be in top physical condition at sea level and flat ground and even 2,000 feet of elevation and hills will take a heavy toll on you. For the first three or four days it feels like you are carrying a 20lb. bag of cement around with you.

Add to that jet lag and sleep loss, the guys who take a couple of days before a hunt to "even out" have the right idea.

Elephant Hunter,
Double Rifle Shooter Society,
NRA Lifetime Member,
Ten Safaris, in RSA, Namibia, Zimbabwe

Posts: 955 | Location: Houston, Texas, USA | Registered: 13 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks Bill, looking forward to it! Funny you mentioned asthma. I struggled with the disease for many years as well. My body looked fit on the outside but on the inside, during athletic competition at times I could barely breathe.

I could never figure out if I was out of shape, or just having an attack, so all I did was train harder. Flare-ups were so random then I learned the triggers. Football games on freshly cut grass fields were nightmares...but astroturf fields presented no breathing problems.

One day my coaches asked me why I performed so much better on turf than grass and I admitted to them embarrassingly that I had asthma. I use to sneak puffs from my inhaler because for a boy to do so from my neighborhood, it was a sign of weakness. Crippled with such a physical disease made me tougher on the mental side. I could never drink booze as a teen, and stayed away from any other chemicals, because coupled with my asthma medicine, that might have been a prescription for disaster.

And then one day when I was 36, it disappeared. I grew out of it! I was healed. I'll never forget the year because I was covering the Mandela election for CNN in Jo'berg. I kept waiting for all the dust in Soweto to trigger an attack, while I was on the air! But it never came.

Ever since then I've been reborn, able to hunt and do anything I want to do, even drink a beer now. And like you Bill, have vowed to just stay in shape forever, because 'you never know.' If I ever get out of Africa, I'd like to do sheep, but 20 years ago I could only dream about it and read the hunting books of the old greats.

With good health and a better understanding of my body now anything seems possible.