Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Boddington book sells for $ 30k at auction
http://sportsafield.com/safari...k-sets-world-record/

One of Us
Picture of BaxterB
posted Hide Post
“Electricity surged through the room?” So they wired the chairs to shock people into raising their hands?

Good for the Weatherby Foundation, I guess, but the article is a little much, no?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I like auctions. Especially the ones at sci.

But I am pure business. I know what I want to buy and a price I want to pay. I also have a set of auctions I would bid on if I think they were trading cheap - my opportunistic bucket.

I really hate galas and auctions tied to social events. Often people bid for social prestige or under social pressure.

I would pass anything boddington unless it was am ruger #1.

Mike

Posts: 13145 | Location: Cocoa Beach, Florida | Registered: 22 July 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Cougarz
posted Hide Post
Well good for them. The money goes to a worthy cause.

Roger

*we band of 45-70ers*

Posts: 2811 | Location: Washington (wetside) | Registered: 08 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of bwanamrm
posted Hide Post
+2. Excellent news for the Weatherby Foundation and needed dollars for their coffers and kudos to Mr. Boddington. Well done.

On the plains of hesitation lie the bleached bones of ten thousand, who on the dawn of victory lay down their weary heads resting, and there resting, died.

If you can talk with crowds and keep your virtue,
Or walk with Kings - nor lose the common touch...
Yours is the Earth and everything that's in it,
And - which is more - you'll be a Man, my son!
- Rudyard Kipling

Life grows grim without senseless indulgence.

Posts: 7558 | Location: Victoria, Texas | Registered: 30 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Money raised for a good cause. Well done to all involved. If someone is bitching and moaning about the book and its author you have missed the point entirely.....

Posts: 2570 | Location: New York, USA | Registered: 13 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Too bad the money couldn't have gone to some of the creditors he screwed over when he filed bankruptcy.

Posts: 2276 | Location: West Texas | Registered: 07 December 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Open Carry
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JGRaider:
Too bad the money couldn't have gone to some of the creditors he screwed over when he filed bankruptcy.

+1
Well stated!

Posts: 55 | Location: Easton, Pennsylvania USA | Registered: 28 November 2016Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of DCS Member
posted Hide Post
quote:

No, his sales of used hunting shirts went to that. Actually, Col. Boddington seems to be a great guy and a great ambassador to our sport. I will always wish him the best.

I meant to be DSC Member...bad typing skills.

Marcus Cady

DRSS

Posts: 3453 | Location: Dallas | Registered: 19 March 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
What does the Weatherby Foundation do? This is a serious question. It is not criticism.

Posts: 12094 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: 26 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of J.R.Jackson
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by larryshores:
What does the Weatherby Foundation do? This is a serious question. It is not criticism.

Formed in 1988, the Foundation’s mission statement is “to educate youth and the non-hunting public on the beneficial role of ethical sport hunting and its contribution to wildlife conservation”. It is one of the few non-profit organizations to focus its efforts and financial support on education outside of the industry.

Posts: 570 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: 12 November 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of cal pappas
posted Hide Post
quote:

CB's bankruptcy papers are public information. You should read them. The poor guy has nothing, no money, no taxidermy, only a few mundane rifles, etc.
Cal

Cal Pappas, Willow, Alaska
www.CalPappas.com
www.CalPappas.blogspot.com
1994 Zimbabwe
1997 Zimbabwe
1998 Zimbabwe
1999 Zimbabwe
1999 Namibia, Botswana, Zambia--vacation
2000 Australia
2002 South Africa
2003 South Africa
2003 Zimbabwe
2005 South Africa
2005 Zimbabwe
2006 Tanzania
2006 Zimbabwe--vacation
2007 Zimbabwe--vacation
2008 Zimbabwe
2012 Australia
2013 South Africa
2013 Zimbabwe
2013 Australia
2016 Zimbabwe
2017 Zimbabwe
2018 South Africa
2018 Zimbabwe--vacation
2019 South Africa
2019 Botswana
2019 Zimbabwe vacation
2021 South Africa
2021 South Africa (2nd hunt a month later)

Posts: 7281 | Location: Willow, Alaska | Registered: 29 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Wesheltonj
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cal pappas:
quote:

CB's bankruptcy papers are public information. You should read them. The poor guy has nothing, no money, no taxidermy, only a few mundane rifles, etc.
Cal

I don't want to waste my money on Pacer looking at a Chapter 7 bankruptcy filing and order.

Posts: 769 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 13 April 2016Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by J.R.Jackson:
quote:
Originally posted by larryshores:

Formed in 1988, the Foundation’s mission statement is “to educate youth and the non-hunting public on the beneficial role of ethical sport hunting and its contribution to wildlife conservation”. It is one of the few non-profit organizations to focus its efforts and financial support on education outside of the industry.

Great Mission. I have never seen anything from them. What have I missed? It is certainly an important mission.

JEff

Posts: 2857 | Location: FL | Registered: 18 September 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of samir
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Open Carry:
quote:

+1
Well stated!

+2

DRSS
Searcy 470 NE

Posts: 1436 | Location: San Diego | Registered: 02 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of fairgame
posted Hide Post
I must say I think Boddington is a good ambassador for hunting and very knowledgable about all things Africa.

ROYAL KAFUE LTD
Email - kafueroyal@gmail.com
Tel/Whatsapp (00260) 975315144
Instagram - kafueroyal

Posts: 9954 | Location: Zambia | Registered: 10 April 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Been taking my time reading "Where Lions Roar", the last of 3 Boddington books I bought last year.

He certainly makes for a good read and is totally honest about his own miscues.

He comes across as one stand-up guy IMO.

BH63

Hunting buff is better than sex!

Posts: 2205 | Registered: 29 December 2015Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Craig Bridlington is a very awesome person and a very good Hunter .He is one tough guy and served out country in.times of war .I can't stand people on.here who.put him down.He is a living legend and the best living writer there is .He has hunted many lands .I.have talked to him many.times and he is very down to earth and a very good person.His hunting adventures in today's world are very unique .I.am very glad he won the Weatherby award .It takes a mighty big person to fill his shoes on his experiences in hunting.

Posts: 2543 | Registered: 21 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Guy Whittall
posted Hide Post
Craig was and is sill is a great ambassador to America and sport hunting. In my opinion it was his experiences and information that he shared with Americans that helped thousands of individuals prepare for their first safaris to the dark Continent. Through his honest and detailed writing he lead the way to countries that the false political media portrayed as no go areas. Many countries in Africa do not realise how much he has contributed through his writing. The book selling for 30k speaks for itself. Thank you Sir.

Posts: 196 | Location: Zimbabwe and Mozambique | Registered: 04 January 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of DCS Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dgr416:
Craig Bridlington is a very awesome person and a very good Hunter .He is one tough guy and served out country in.times of war .I can't stand people on.here who.put him down.He is a living legend and the best living writer there is .He has hunted many lands .I.have talked to him many.times and he is very down to earth and a very good person.His hunting adventures in today's world are very unique .I.am very glad he won the Weatherby award .It takes a mighty big person to fill his shoes on his experiences in hunting.

Indeed. The man suffered a heart attack and still was able to hump it out of the mountains of Uganda (I think) before receiving medical attention.

It is great to have him as a representative. He’s worlds better than the whoop it up hunters on most shows.

I meant to be DSC Member...bad typing skills.

Marcus Cady

DRSS

Posts: 3453 | Location: Dallas | Registered: 19 March 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

Cal

But this is AR where there is a certain stereotypical crowd that loves to kick anybody who’s down. These same people are jealous little twits who trash anybody who’s accomplishments threaten their fragile egos too. It’s actualy quite disgusting.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Still no answer to my question about why I have never seen anything from Weatherby Foundation. Did I just miss it? Just interested. If they have info looking to pirate it.

Jeff

One of Us
Picture of fairgame
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by surestrike:
quote:
quote:

Cal

But this is AR where there is a certain stereotypical crowd that loves to kick anybody who’s down. These same people are jealous little twits who trash anybody who’s accomplishments threaten their fragile egos too. It’s actualy quite disgusting.

I dread the day I make a mistake.

ROYAL KAFUE LTD
Email - kafueroyal@gmail.com
Tel/Whatsapp (00260) 975315144
Instagram - kafueroyal

Posts: 9954 | Location: Zambia | Registered: 10 April 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of billrquimby
posted Hide Post
quote:

Craig's mistake was giving power of attorney to an unscrupulous "agent." His bankruptcy involved only one of his several businesses.

Bill Quimby

Posts: 2633 | Location: tucson and greer arizona | Registered: 02 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I thought his bankruptcy was personal.

Posts: 12094 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: 26 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
I've known Craig for many years and he is the real deal-like it or not. Yes, we ALL make mistakes and you would be shocked at how many so-called successful people have filed BK or have been embroiled in contentious litigation at one time or another-I dare say most. There's skeletons in everyone's closet. I discussed AR with Craig a year or so ago, and he had nothing but good to say about it. He did say, however, that AR can sometimes be a "tough crowd". I think that the fact that no matter what he would say or do would never fully satisfy the proverbial critics on here, eventually caused him to leave. I personally believe that he was a valuable contributor to AR from time to time. It's not hard to see why most hunting celebs would never post on AR. Someone's always got a stick up their arse about them in one way or the other. I always tell people: When you point your finger at someone to accuse them of something, there's always three of your fingers pointing back at you.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by fairgame:
quote:
Originally posted by surestrike:
quote:
quote:

Cal

Should have never let me get off the plane....

One of Us
Picture of Wesheltonj
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bwana Bunduki:
Still no answer to my question about why I have never seen anything from Weatherby Foundation. Did I just miss it? Just interested. If they have info looking to pirate it.

Jeff

I am not sure what they do to promote youth hunting. But I can tell you that they awarded my daughter a Weatherby Shot gun for entering a hunting photo and short answer about the photo.

Posts: 769 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 13 April 2016Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Wesheltonj
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by billrquimby:
quote:

Craig's mistake was giving power of attorney to an unscrupulous "agent." His bankruptcy involved only one of his several businesses.

Bill Quimby

Well, I understand that it was a Chapter 7, which is personal BK. I also understand that he valued his business at $1 for a business that paid him and his wife over 7K per month. I don't have any facts as to what cause the BK, not my business.

But I don't think that he is all that of a great writer. I think you can find better writing in Gray's Sporting Journal from the few of the pieces of his that I have read.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Spot on fairgame, cheap shot artists at their best...

Boddingtons books are great books, he has been there, seen the elephant, and is pretty darn well informed on hunting and rifles.

As to his personal life, that's none of my business..

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 42156 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Is this one of those cases of 'No good deed goes unpunished'?

I am happy his book brought so much money for ANY good hunting cause. We have plenty of enemies out there.

I only met him once at an SCI convention. He was extremely kind to me, a stranger who at that time was too shy to ask him to autograph my copy of his books. He saw me standing back away from his table behind the crowd and sensed what I was hoping for. He motioned me forward and signed two of his books that I had brought, "Safari Rifles" and "American Hunting Rifles".

I paid him nothing and he asked for nothing except for my hand which he shook and said with a smile, "Enjoy your upcoming first safari. I envy you, as you only get a first safari once."

This was 17 years ago when I hadn't even been in Africa yet. It was his writings that inspired me to go. For that alone, I owe him a lot.

I don't know who he owes concerning this bankruptcy thing, or anything about it. As one person said above, many of us have been less financially well off in the past, and have needed help.

But my sense is, Mr. Boddington is a good man. Perhaps unlucky in some business dealings, don't know about that, but a good man none the less.

And if he's a poor writer as some have suggested, I guess I am a poor reader. His writing took me to Africa, and I return this summer for my 8th safari. Life for me has not been the same since. Thank you Colonel Boddington. And, thank you for your service. beer

Posts: 2624 | Location: Colorado | Registered: 26 May 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Surefire 7,
An honorable post in that you judged him for his interaction with you, not by hearsay and green eyed envy, however his experiences in hunting are a thing to be envied by all, but did he not share them with all of us, not to be criticized by rude behavior.

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 42156 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by surefire7:

I am happy his book brought so much money for ANY good hunting cause. We have plenty of enemies out there.

I only met him once at an SCI convention. He was extremely kind to me, a stranger who at that time was too shy to ask him to autograph my copy of his books. He saw me standing back away from his table behind the crowd and sensed what I was hoping for. He motioned me forward and signed two of his books that I had brought, "Safari Rifles" and "American Hunting Rifles".

I paid him nothing and he asked for nothing except for my hand which he shook and said with a smile, "Enjoy your upcoming first safari. I envy you, as you only get a first safari once."

This was 17 years ago when I hadn't even been in Africa yet. It was his writings that inspired me to go. For that alone, I owe him a lot.

I don't know who he owes concerning this bankruptcy thing, or anything about it. As one person said above, many of us have been less financially well off in the past, and have needed help.

But my sense is, Mr. Boddington is a good man. Perhaps unlucky in some business dealings, don't know about that, but a good man none the less.

And if he's a poor writer as some have suggested, I guess I am a poor reader. His writing took me to Africa, and I return this summer for my 8th safari. Life for me has not been the same since. Thank you Colonel Boddington. And, thank you for your service. beer

beer

"Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life." Terry Pratchett.

Posts: 3517 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: 25 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Lhook7:
quote:
Originally posted by surefire7:

beer
tu2 tu2

One of Us
Picture of billrquimby
posted Hide Post
I've known Craig for 35 years, and was his editor for literally dozens of SCI projects for many of those years. No other hunting and gun writer works harder or is more prolific, professional and knowledgeable. His Weatherby Award is well deserved and the mark the $30,000 auction price set for his book will never be equalled. I am honored to be his friend.

Bill Quimby

Posts: 2633 | Location: tucson and greer arizona | Registered: 02 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Wesheltonj
posted Hide Post
Prolific and Good are two different things. He's an average writer at best. Is he prolific, yes. Better writing in Gray's Sporting Journal. It was Hemingway that had me Run with the Bulls in Pampolma and Safari in Africa. That's great writing.

Of course, I am alway happy to see money go to worthy causes.

One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
Surefire: tu2 tu2 tu2

One of Us
Picture of mdwest
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Wesheltonj:
Prolific and Good are two different things. He's an average writer at best. Is he prolific, yes. Better writing in Gray's Sporting Journal. It was Hemingway that had me Run with the Bulls in Pampolma and Safari in Africa. That's great writing.

Of course, I am alway happy to see money go to worthy causes.

Completely agree...

I have met Craig several times, and personally like him. He has always been friendly, gracious, particularly kind to my wife, has gone out of his way to meet/shake hands any time we are in the same place, etc.. We have bought several of his books, and I enjoy reading them.. My opinion is he is a good guy, and has done a lot of good for hunting, both domestically and internationally..

But, like you, it was Hemingway that made me want to go to Pamplona to run with the bulls in 2014.. and Capstick that made me first dream of hunting in Africa..

I find Craigs writing to be informative...

While I find others to be inspiring..

Posts: 65 | Location: DFW | Registered: 01 August 2017Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Mike_Dettorre
posted Hide Post
When I have two dozen or so books published, win a 1/2 dozen or so literary awards, and have 100s of magazine articles published; feel free to call me an "average" writer.

Mike

Never under estimate the internet community's ability to reply to your post with their personal rant about their tangentially related, single occurrence issue.

What I have learned on AR, since 2001:
1. The proper answer to: Where is the best place in town to get a steak dinner? is…You should go to Mel's Diner and get the fried chicken.
2. Big game animals can tell the difference between .015 of an inch in diameter, 15 grains of bullet weight, and 150 fps.
3. There is a difference in the performance of two identical projectiles launched at the same velocity if they came from different cartridges.
4. While a double rifle is the perfect DGR, every 375HH bolt gun needs to be modified to carry at least 5 down.
5. While a floor plate and detachable box magazine both use a mechanical latch, only the floor plate latch is reliable. Disregard the fact that every modern military rifle uses a detachable box magazine.
6. The Remington 700 is unreliable regardless of the fact it is the basis of the USMC M40 sniper rifle for 40+ years with no changes to the receiver or extractor and is the choice of more military and law enforcement sniper units than any other rifle.
7. PF actions are not suitable for a DGR and it is irrelevant that the M1, M14, M16, & AK47 which were designed for hunting men that can shoot back are all PF actions.
8. 95 deg F in Africa is different than 95 deg F in TX or CA and that is why you must worry about ammunition temperature in Africa (even though most safaris take place in winter) but not in TX or in CA.
9. The size of a ding in a gun's finish doesn't matter, what matters is whether it’s a safe ding or not.
10. 1 in a row is a trend, 2 in a row is statistically significant, and 3 in a row is an irrefutable fact.
11. Never buy a WSM or RCM cartridge for a safari rifle or your go to rifle in the USA because if they lose your ammo you can't find replacement ammo but don't worry 280 Rem, 338-06, 35 Whelen, and all Weatherby cartridges abound in Africa and back country stores.
12. A well hit animal can run 75 yds. in the open and suddenly drop with no initial blood trail, but the one I shot from 200 yds. away that ran 10 yds. and disappeared into a thicket and was not found was lost because the bullet penciled thru. I am 100% certain of this even though I have no physical evidence.
13. A 300 Win Mag is a 500 yard elk cartridge but a 308 Win is not a 300 yard elk cartridge even though the same bullet is travelling at the same velocity at those respective distances.

Posts: 10134 | Location: Loving retirement in Boise, ID | Registered: 16 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of billrquimby
posted Hide Post
quote:
When I have two dozen or so books published, win a 1/2 dozen or so literary awards, and have 100s of magazine articles published; feel free to call me an "average" writer.

Someone paying $30,000 for your book says you are far from an "average" writer.

To be fair, Craig's target market is not the readers of Sporting Classics. He is an hunting and shooting journalist writing clearly for those who want timely information in these subjects. He has done very well with this niche.

Some of SC's writers seem to write to impress readers with what they view as literary genius, overusing convoluted and complex sentence structure dripping with pretentious adjectives.

This may attract some readers, and more power to them, but the line between good writing and purple prose is mighty thin.

Bill Quimby