THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AFRICAN HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  African Big Game Hunting    Freight handling problems out of Zim

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Freight handling problems out of Zim
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of madabula
posted
Has anyone else experienced any irregularities in getting trophies shipped out of Zimbabwe and or maybe the question might be does this sound like normal Zimbabwe freight handlin?

Story starts with 2 hunters that hunted with the same ph who took a total of 10 animals; As described below;
Eland skull / cape / backskin / feet x 4
Giraffe cape / backskin
Impala skull / cape / backskin
Impala skull x 3
Klipspringer skull / fullskin
Kudu skull / cape / backskin / feet x 4
Waterbuck skull / cape / backskin / feet x 4
Wildebeest skull / cape / backskin

They paid Collett's Wildlife Artistry fairly normal charges for dip and pack and this invoice included documetation fees of $175 each and $150 ea. for crating. They carried with them and left with the preperator shipping instructions and paperwork with all of the correct addresses etc. and then sent them again via e-mail responses when initially asked to send them by the Maple Freight
They are next notified by Maple Freight that their shipment is being readied for shipment and to send payment of; USD. 3426.56 for shipping via Worldwide Logistics this included a second document charge of $500 from Maple Freight and verification of documents which had incorrect hunters addresses.

The response included a specific correction of the shipping address and questions regarding the unusually large freight costs. 9 e-mails later the hunters address is still incorrect however continued insistence that the freight and documentation fees were excessive led to the the documentation fee being lowered to $300. It further uncovered that the freight company had weighed the wrong crates which led to the discovery that there was in fact only one crate. And it had not been weighed at all. Numerous calls and e-mails to the PH, booking agent and intervention by Hunter International Brokerage which included getting comparative freight quotes finally got the correct crate weighed and the charges amended to USD $2,302.46.

However the comparative rates came in as low as; USD $1,692.47 but required paying Maple the documentation fee ($300) for a total of US$1,992.47 So when asked to match the rate; Maple responds that they would charge “around USD 256 to get the trophy crate to Harare and another usd 35.change in documentation” and added it would create “more delays in getting this out, so please explain to clients and lets leave as is and send the way we have planned”

I've seen several shipments recently where frieght charges were a bit higher than normal and a few where the crates were considerbly larger than necessary which constitutes higher than necesary freight charges. I've heard that Maple is totally aligned with Worldwide Logistics and does not shop rates but the number of "mistakes" and an attempted overcharge of $1500 at least raises the question has anyone else had similar experences?

Best regards
Mike Ohlmann
Mike's Custom Taxidermy Inc.
4102 Cane Run Rd.
Louisville KY 40216
502-448-1309
Mike@mikescustomtaxidermy.com
www.mikescustomtaxidermy.com

Posts: 290 | Location: louisville ky | Registered: 11 May 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of L. David Keith
posted Hide Post
Mike, the ONLY person I would trust out of Zim is Andy Hunter. I've had my share of problems with Maple Freight. Long delays and expensive shipping charges.
Regards,
David

Gray Ghost Hunting Safaris
http://grayghostsafaris.com Phone: 615-860-4333
Email: hunts@grayghostsafaris.com
NRA Benefactor
DSC Professional Member
SCI Member
RMEF Life Member
NWTF Guardian Life Sponsor
NAHC Life Member
Rowland Ward - SCI Scorer
Took the wife the Eastern Cape for her first hunt:
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6881000262
Hunting in the Stormberg, Winterberg and Hankey Mountains of the Eastern Cape 2018
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/4801073142
Hunting the Eastern Cape, RSA May 22nd - June 15th 2007
http://forums.accuratereloadin...=810104007#810104007
16 Days in Zimbabwe: Leopard, plains game, fowl and more:
http://forums.accuratereloadin...=212108409#212108409
Natal: Rhino, Croc, Nyala, Bushbuck and more
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6341092311
Recent hunt in the Eastern Cape, August 2010: Pics added
http://forums.accuratereloadin...261039941#9261039941
10 days in the Stormberg Mountains
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/7781081322
Back in the Stormberg Mountains with friends: May-June 2017
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6001078232

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading" - Thomas Jefferson

Every morning the Zebra wakes up knowing it must outrun the fastest Lion if it wants to stay alive. Every morning the Lion wakes up knowing it must outrun the slowest Zebra or it will starve. It makes no difference if you are a Zebra or a Lion; when the Sun comes up in Africa, you must wake up running......

"If you're being chased by a Lion, you don't have to be faster than the Lion, you just have to be faster than the person next to you."

Posts: 6805 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: 18 December 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Jerry Huffaker
posted Hide Post
Yes we have had customers who have had a lot of trouble with Collett, TERRIBLE service. Highly recommend never using them again.

Andy Hunter is THE MAN for expiditing trophies out of Zim.

Jerry Huffaker
State, National and World Champion Taxidermist

Posts: 2009 | Registered: 27 February 2002Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Another vote for Andy Hunter (Chipitani Safaris).
I've used him well over a dozen times without a problem.
Inyati

Posts: 47 | Location: Anchorage, Alaska | Registered: 26 February 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of SBT
posted Hide Post
Use Andy Hunter and you will be problem free.

"There are worse memorials to a life well-lived than a pair of elephant tusks." Robert Ruark

Posts: 4780 | Location: Story, WY / San Carlos, Sonora, MX | Registered: 29 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Oh my gosh, in Zim anything can happen. I thought I would never get Maple Freight paid off from my 2005 safari. Documentation charges after another. They tried to get me for another dip and pack charge but I had a receipt from my safari operator. Then it was the reserve bank wouldn't release the trophies blah, blah, blah. Just try to forget about them and one day they will show up. I had nine trophies in 2003 that weighed 324kg and the shipping cost me somthing like $650.00. In 2005 I had two cape buffalo skulls and two capes that weighed something like 85kgs and it cost me $1900.00. I checked the '03 trophies thru customs myself and in 07 or 08 when my 2005 trophies finally arrived they told me I had to use a broker. That ended up costing me another $425. Its a goat rope.

Posts: 1330 | Location: Western NC | Registered: 08 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 505 gibbs
posted Hide Post
I guess I will make it +5 for Andy Hunter, I left Zim in late May, was informed last Week that my Trophies are Stateside waiting to clear. Andy is the man. tu2

One of Us
posted Hide Post
haven't had a decent shipment out of zim in years. maple freight, taxidermy unlimited etc. etc. etc. all are horror stories.

Posts: 13446 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Anyone seen my crate with my 44" buff skull and second lesser buff skull and their full skins tanned???
They left Bulawayo on a truck to Harare to be flown to Joburg with my other two crates. Three crates supposedly arrived in Joburg but only two arrived in ATL----thank God it was the Lion and Leopard crates!
After almost three years of long distance hqaggling primarily with SAA and their insurance broker, I got an offer of an amazingly low amount based strickly on the volume metic measuremnet of the crate not the SCI value...so much for insurance! I told them to stick there "settlement"....left me with nothing....SCI insurance value for two Buff---$12K....insurance offer----under $1K.....so what would a barrister in SA cost me???

Posts: 696 | Location: Soddy Daisy, TN USA | Registered: 05 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I still haven't heard squat from HHK about my trophies from June 20112009. I think HHK is a real crap shoot I know some here have had good experiences with them but I wouldn't trust them with a penny myself.

There fixed it for ya.

Posts: 41861 | Location: Crosby and Barksdale, Texas | Registered: 18 September 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I use andy hunter...Zim has enough problems without clients bitching at me about not recieving trophies.

Posts: 3026 | Location: Zimbabwe | Registered: 23 July 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JTEX:
I still haven't heard squat from HHK about my trophies from June 2011. I think HHK is a real crap shoot I know some here have had good experiences with them but I wouldn't trust them with a penny myself.

You are compaling about not recieving your trophies from a hunt that hasn't taken place yet Confused Must be American!

One of Us
Picture of 505 gibbs
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by JTEX:
I still haven't heard squat from HHK about my trophies from June 2011. I think HHK is a real crap shoot I know some here have had good experiences with them but I wouldn't trust them with a penny myself.

You are compaling about not recieving your trophies from a hunt that hasn't taken place yet Must be American!

presumptuos, no? animal

One of Us
Picture of 505 gibbs
posted Hide Post
quote:
haven't had a decent shipment out of zim in years. maple freight, taxidermy unlimited etc. etc. etc. all are horror stories.

you obviously have not used Andy...

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
You are compaling about not recieving your trophies from a hunt that hasn't taken place yet Must be American!

It was a typo. Should have been 2009. And I rarely compale.

Posts: 41861 | Location: Crosby and Barksdale, Texas | Registered: 18 September 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Jtex..knew it was a typo and pulling your leg. Seriously though two years is not uncommon nor totally unreasonable considering the national parks service in Bulawayo - and they refuse to let many companies submit their export applications through head office.

Still at least with HHK you know the paperwork will all be there. Last time I stuck my head into Maple they had several hundred crates of trophies , some dating back 5-6 years waiting for the correct paperwork from the outfitter (and many of the safari operators concerned had no intentio of ever completing the paperwork... thumbdown At least you will get your trophies and everything in Africa is a little slower than the rest of the world...be patient we haven't reached the 20th century yet let alone the 21st.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Just dropped Andy a line letting him know that we want to use his services.. do NOT want to get stuck getting the "dry and hard" from Maple.

Thanks for posting this.

Posts: 2163 | Registered: 13 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Jtex..knew it was a typo and pulling your leg.

I thought I felt somethin' Ganyana, you are one of the good guys. beer

If it just a Zambezi Lager.............next to a Mopani fire......

One of Us
Picture of zimFrosty
posted Hide Post
Folks the story described is one that many people have suffered over the last few years. I too will throw my recomendation behind Andy Hunter.He runs a good solid operation with no nonsense fees or hidden costs. I have had no issues from any of the clients who have shipped through him.

Given the support Andy Is getting on this thread, perhaps it would be a good idea for clients to check who handles the trophies for their chosen PH/Operator and what service they have received. I would stick my neck out and say anyone who deals with Andy wont have had too much hassle.

Posts: 459 | Location: Zimbabwe | Registered: 11 May 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Wildlife Gallery
posted Hide Post
Will not personally bash anyone but will say our customers have had numerous problems with getting trophies out of Zimbabwe. We started getting incredible service from Andy Hunter and I have recommended him exclusively.

Last year I invited Andy to come visit our facility here in Michigan to see how we do things on the taxidermy side when the crate arrives. Andy stayed in my home for a couple days (he is a TRUE gentleman) for this visit and we went in depth on how he could improve his system and service in Zimbabwe. Andy and I both felt the more knowledge of the tanning process and taxidermists' needs here in the US would only improve the overall experience and service for our hunters/customers that travel to Zimbabwe to collect some of the worlds most impressive trophies...

If anyone on here is interested in meeting Andy Hunter personally, stop by The Wildlife Gallery booth at the Dallas Safari Club. Andy will be my guest in the booth which will give people the opportunity to talk with him personally with questions and concerns about Zimbabwe dip & pack.....DAN

Committing ourselves to world class turnaround and quality.
www.thewildlifegallery.com

One of Us
posted Hide Post
This may be a stupid question, but how does one go about designating Andy Hunter for handling trophies? Everytime I have been to Zim or Botswana or Namibia the outfitter apparently did the designating. I didn't have a say.
By the way, I was with HHK in October 2009 and my trophies came along in due course with no trouble. Same thing with Roger Whittall in July 2009. I don't know who handled the trophies in either case.

Posts: 84 | Location: southern california | Registered: 16 November 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I specifically requested a certain shipping company from my Bulawayo taxidermist....phone numbers, email amd address in RSA provided....they ignored and used a truck to take crates to Harare (why didn't they fly out of Bulawayo?) then shipped to Joburg by a firm I did not wish to use again....the firm I wanted spent six months trying to find my missing crate then handled insurance claim for me
Maybe all outfitters/PH's have their own deal...I know for a fact all three hunts I did in ZIM that the PH told the taxidermist to not give him, the PH, a kickback on the quoted rates....
I specified a shipper on my two Zambia hunts also----ignored....
Don't have a clue as to how to rectify!

Posts: 696 | Location: Soddy Daisy, TN USA | Registered: 05 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of twoseventy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by L. David Keith:
Mike, the ONLY person I would trust out of Zim is Andy Hunter. I've had my share of problems with Maple Freight. Long delays and expensive shipping charges.
Regards,
David

David, do you have contact info on Andy Hunter? How does one commission him to do the packing and shipping? Does one just tell his PH to send all trophies to him?

Tom

...I say that hunters go into Paradise when they die, and live in this world more joyfully than any other men.
-Edward, duke of York

". . . when a man has shot an elephant his life is full." ~John Alfred Jordan

"The budget should be balanced, the Treasury should be refilled, public debt should be reduced, the arrogance of officialdom should be tempered and controlled, and the assistance to foreign lands should be curtailed lest Rome become bankrupt. People must again learn to work, instead of living on public assistance." Cicero - 55 BC

"The smallest minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities." - Ayn Rand

Cogito ergo venor- KPete

“It is not from the benevolence of the butcher, the brewer, or the baker, that we expect our dinner, but from their regard to their own self-interest. We address ourselves, not to their humanity but to their self-love, and never talk to them of our own necessities but of their advantages.”
― Adam Smith - “Wealth of Nations”

Posts: 985 | Location: Oregon | Registered: 12 June 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill C
posted Hide Post
2-70, Sir Andy Hunter - the Man, the Myth, the Legend - may be reached at chipitani@zol.co.zw

Here's Andy's Dip/Pack webpage: http://www.chipitanisafaris.net/pack&dip.htm

Andy has received praise on this forum for years, he is reliable, trustworthy and detail oriented. The Big Guy broke the mold after making Andy (ok, maybe that was over the top!) Smiler

Posts: 3153 | Location: PA | Registered: 02 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hi Gents,

Firstly thanks for the vote of confidence. We are trying our best to keep ahead of the pack and have had another good year shipping trophies out of Zimbabwe.

I will be in the US in Jan 2011 but sadly cannot make Dallas . I will be in Reno though and will be glad to assist wherever possible.

A note though that any client wishing to use our services in future MUST advise the hunting outfitter and ensure its clear in your hunt contract. We have had outfitters refuse to allow us to handle their clients pack & dip even though we were requested to do so by the client.

I look forward to working with you all in the coming season and years ahead. Thanks again for your continued support.

Happy ThanksGiving for the 25th

Posts: 81 | Location: Zimbabwe | Registered: 26 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of twoseventy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bill C:
2-70, Sir Andy Hunter - the Man, the Myth, the Legend - may be reached at chipitani@zol.co.zw

Here's Andy's Dip/Pack webpage: http://www.chipitanisafaris.net/pack&dip.htm

Andy has received praise on this forum for years, he is reliable, trustworthy and detail oriented. The Big Guy broke the mold after making Andy (ok, maybe that was over the top!) Smiler

Bill, thanks for the response. And the rest of the story.

Tom

...I say that hunters go into Paradise when they die, and live in this world more joyfully than any other men.
-Edward, duke of York

". . . when a man has shot an elephant his life is full." ~John Alfred Jordan

"The budget should be balanced, the Treasury should be refilled, public debt should be reduced, the arrogance of officialdom should be tempered and controlled, and the assistance to foreign lands should be curtailed lest Rome become bankrupt. People must again learn to work, instead of living on public assistance." Cicero - 55 BC

"The smallest minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities." - Ayn Rand

Cogito ergo venor- KPete

“It is not from the benevolence of the butcher, the brewer, or the baker, that we expect our dinner, but from their regard to their own self-interest. We address ourselves, not to their humanity but to their self-love, and never talk to them of our own necessities but of their advantages.”
― Adam Smith - “Wealth of Nations”

Posts: 985 | Location: Oregon | Registered: 12 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of madabula
posted Hide Post
quote:
and ensure its clear in your hunt contract.

That seems to be the missing link!

Thanks!
Mike Ohlmann
Mike's Custom Taxidermy Inc.
4102 Cane Run Rd.
Louisville KY 40216
502-448-1309
Mike@mikescustomtaxidermy.com

Posts: 290 | Location: louisville ky | Registered: 11 May 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
African Silwane uses Maple Freight and they in turn use Worldwide. I just got quoted $1584 from Bulowayo to port of San Francisco. One package with a chargeable weight of 111kg. Is this off? First experience shipping out of Zim.
Thanks

Kalahari Lion (Bots 07)

Posts: 101 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 03 October 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
DawnRoar - interested to know who your PH was and who did the paperwork...seems a bit high but depands who is foing what and how many skins there are etc.Preping a couple of big trophies is alot less work than sorting the tiny ten!

One of Us
Picture of 505 gibbs
posted Hide Post
quote:
African Silwane uses Maple Freight and they in turn use Worldwide.

I am in the middle of a cluster f*ck with World Wide Logistics right now. They have been paid in full for months now (April I believe) and don't seem to put any priority on fixing the problem, keeping me informed or even replying to my emails. Marriette Dartnell is incompetent from what I can see and I will NEVER use them again. If the decision is use WWL or don't go to Africa, I WILL NOT GO TO AFRICA!! If anyone here values their trophies, memories and sanity, they will demand that World Wide Logistics not be used for their freight. As stated above, I went hunting in Zim a month after I paid WWL in full for the freight, and my Zim shipment is Stateside (Thanks Andy).

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ganyana:
DawnRoar - interested to know who your PH was and who did the paperwork...seems a bit high but depands who is foing what and how many skins there are etc.Preping a couple of big trophies is alot less work than sorting the tiny ten!

Darren Ellerman, but he wasnt the paperwork guy. Silwane took care of all that. It was a lion plus skull, sable plus skull and full giraffe skin. As mentioned above one crate 111kg

Kalahari Lion (Bots 07)

Posts: 101 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 03 October 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hi Gents,

Please note my e mail is still chipitani@zol.co.zw and my website is www.zimbabwedipandpack.com . Please feel free to contact us using my chipitani e mail.

Regards

Andy

Posts: 81 | Location: Zimbabwe | Registered: 26 January 2006Reply With Quote